F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW Service History
ARMA SPEED

03-24-2019, 04:34 AM   #1
SEW247
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335dX in early March

BMW Service History

So I have found a car from an independent dealer but I was wondering how I can get the service history for the vehicle. Obviously I want to ensure full BMW history and that any major works (if undertaken) are logged.

Is there a way to get the independent dealer to download the data or would it be possible to call BMW with car details (registration and presumably VIN?) and get this data.

Has anyone bought private or outside of BMW AUC and got this data?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 04:45 AM   #2
c.grex
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEW247 View Post
So I have found a car from an independent dealer but I was wondering how I can get the service history for the vehicle. Obviously I want to ensure full BMW history and that any major works (if undertaken) are logged.

Is there a way to get the independent dealer to download the data or would it be possible to call BMW with car details (registration and presumably VIN?) and get this data.

Has anyone bought private or outside of BMW AUC and got this data?
You can see the service history from the idrive. I'd start with asking for screen grabs of the data shown.
You should be able to see the service date and mileage, along with service type. You will also see the dealer code (if main dealer)
It's also worth looking at the mileage/time shown left on time left to next inspection / brake fluid change / miles left on front and rear pads.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 04:51 AM   #3
SEW247
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335dX in early March

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.grex View Post
You can see the service history from the idrive. I'd start with asking for screen grabs of the data shown.
You should be able to see the service date and mileage, along with service type. You will also see the dealer code (if main dealer)
It's also worth looking at the mileage/time shown left on time left to next inspection / brake fluid change / miles left on front and rear pads.
Yes I was thinking of doing this - but I was think more about if there had been a major issue e.g. they’d had the gearbox repacked - then surely it would be logged in idrive.

Yes I was going to factor in the “miles to” brake fluid / service / brake pads into my offer as have called BMW to prices so obviously don’t want to buy something which needs new discs and pads.

Also is there anyway to know if it’s always been serviced by a BMW dealer and not an independent?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 04:57 AM   #4
c.grex
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D Luxury

Quote:
Yes I was thinking of doing this - but I was think more about if there had been a major issue e.g. they’d had the gearbox repacked - then surely it would be logged in idrive.

Yes I was going to factor in the “miles to” brake fluid / service / brake pads into my offer as have called BMW to prices so obviously don’t want to buy something which needs new discs and pads.

Also is there anyway to know if it’s always been serviced by a BMW dealer and not an independent?
I'd guess a phone call to a dealer tomorrow may answer your question on what they can tell you.
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it will show a dealer code if it wasn't a main dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 05:52 AM   #5
philiper1
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F21 M135i LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.grex View Post
Quote:

I'd guess a phone call to a dealer tomorrow may answer your question on what they can tell you.
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it will show a dealer code if it wasn't a main dealer.
I might be wrong but only dealers or garages with access to BMW server can update the service history properly
      03-24-2019, 06:17 AM   #6
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:

Just bear in mind, for brake pads and discs especially, the iDrive countdown is a mile out.

My car was saying new front pads due (on mileage countdown) at 30k. So I asked for a inspect and report.
The pads were eventually changed at 57k, when they finally wore out.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 06:12 PM   #7
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

Idrive will only show service items, not anything non-routine
Also this can be easily forged, I have software that will easily update the service history with whatever you want.
I think the only proof of what it's had can be provided by a dealer
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 08:23 PM   #8
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
I had trouble getting mine when I asked my dealer...

As in, they said no. Because Im not the original owner?!

Anyone work at a dealer and can help out?
Appreciate 0