F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > [Picture Thread] Various FBO vs. Stock Parts
GetBMWParts

05-12-2017, 02:09 AM   #1
maxio
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

[Picture Thread] Various FBO vs. Stock Parts

Wanted to share with everyone the pictures I took to compare aftermarket vs stock parts for my FBO build:

FTP Charge Pipe vs Stock: The removal process was relatively simple, especially if you have the stock IC out. Mine came out through the bottom of the car, had to flex & bend the stock pipe (on the flexible section) before it could come out completely.

Pure Inlet Pipe vs Stock: This is the absolute HARDEST part to replace among all FBO parts; I took 2 hours and I still haven't aligned the Pure part correctly. Be warned: if you are planning on just installing the inlet pipe, without FMIC or TIC pipe removal, you WILL have a !@#$% of a time.

2nd Pure Inlet pic, showing the restriction on stock inlet: What worries me (and maybe someone from Pure can answer this) is why there isn't an extension on the turbo side to lock down the inlet - the stock part was secured with a bolt.

FTP TIC Pipe vs. Stock: I read that other members had trouble replacing this part. Took me less than 15 minutes (with FMIC removed) to remove and replace, wasn't as challenging (compared to that b*tch of a Inlet pipe above).

FTP includes 2 replacement seals for the IC side of Charge and TIC pipe: They also included a new C-Clip & O-ring for Charge Pipe (not pictured), which is great! Not to mention overall quality feels amazing!!

VRSF 5" Stepped Street Core vs. Stock: if anyone's curious, I didn't go with bigger (race) intercoolers, since I don't track my car. And from past experiences, the street core size proves plenty of improvement over stock. If you do choose to go for a bigger size, be prepared to work with fitting large things in tight spaces.

VRSF Catless Downpipe (Brushed Stainless coating) vs. Stock: downpipe install was a breeze! All other turbo cars I worked with had a !@#$%ing 3-stud and bolt setup to secure the downpipe to turbo, F30 N55's downpipe came out within 10 minutes (used PB blaster and some hammering to get it to fall out). What worries me is that aftermarket downpipes don't have the extended bits (in the middle) to secure the downpipe, so it's only held by the exhaust side and turbo side clamps only. Then again, catless is a lot lighter, so we'll see how it goes in the long run.

OEM BMW picture for those needing picture references during install (this pic helped me a lot):

Appreciate 5
dr.roro195.50
kern4174445.00
Jadar1752.50
GTBrandon260.00
      05-12-2017, 02:15 AM   #2
maxio
Private
Rep

More of my $0.02: Comparing the TIC pipe and Pure Inlet upgrade vs. stock, I would've not purchased them to upgrade, especially considering how much work it took (I sustained A LOT of cuts on my hands and arms). I think those who are going with a bigger turbo would definitely benefit.

That being said, my logic for buying them (and I sorta knew the pain I was gonna go through) was that I was gonna have the FMIC removed anyway, so I might as well upgrade the pipes.

Also forgot to mention that I purchased the EWG connector from BMS, and it was also, a !@#%$ to install. Hooking up the wires took 2 minutes, but hooking up the connectors took 20 minutes (space was TIGHT!) My M Sport had all these extra oil cooling lines running around the passenger, and it made it made the install extra hard.

EDIT: All the above parts were installed myself (one man job), with a car jack and two jack stands in my garage. Car was lifted ~20" off the ground to make the downpipe install easier.

Last edited by maxio; 05-12-2017 at 02:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 08:34 AM   #3
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

Nice review and agree with the TIC pipe and Pure Inlet upgrade, no need unless turbo upgrade. Stock pipes hold good with stock turbo under 19psi.
      05-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #4
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw

Thanks for this thread. I forgot what some of the stock parts look like. Nice reminder and comparison.

Can't wait for my PS2 to go in. along with a bunch of other goodies!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #5
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Nice!

I'm glad you showed us the inlet portion. I didn't know how much restriction it was and from the looks of it, doesn't seem too bad but a good part to upgrade.

I'll probably just have a shop do it when I do PS1 or PS2.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #6
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911/Boxster/Model Y

I speak for myself and others, much appreciate your thread. I too forgot what the stock parts look like so it's a good reference for other future DIYers. BTW, how did you managed to get the TIC in without fuss? I have a 14' ZF8 and from top/underneath, I see a ton of pipes and tubes in the way.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 01:12 PM   #7
maxio
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcspec View Post
I speak for myself and others, much appreciate your thread. I too forgot what the stock parts look like so it's a good reference for other future DIYers. BTW, how did you managed to get the TIC in without fuss? I have a 14' ZF8 and from top/underneath, I see a ton of pipes and tubes in the way.
You basically have to snake and wiggle the inlet around, but trust me when I say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxio View Post
...I sustained A LOT of cuts on my hands and arms...
EDIT: Installing the inlet without lifting the car is outright impossible. I had to grab and push the turbo end of the inlet into the turbo from underneath the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #8
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You basically have to snake and wiggle the inlet around, but trust me when I say:

EDIT: Installing the inlet without lifting the car is outright impossible. I had to grab and push the turbo end of the inlet into the turbo from underneath the car.
I have a lift but still...looking at all the tubing/hoses makes me reconsider the TIC install. Honestly, I have no idea why I bought it to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #9
maxio
Private
Rep

Quote:
I have a lift but still...looking at all the tubing/hoses makes me reconsider the TIC install. Honestly, I have no idea why I bought it to begin with.
If you have time to kill and like a challenge, do it lol. Otherwise do it when upgrading the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats and thank you for sharing

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #11
sicmadek
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i sportline

Quote:
Quote:

Sell it. Trust me its not worth the trouble
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 11:19 AM   #12
maxio
Private
Rep

Engine bay pic with all parts installed:

Just to share with everyone - it took me 4 hours to get the intercooler connected with the TIC and Charge Pipe. Pipe connections were tight af, and a fair amount of WD40 and hammering was needed to get them connected.

I did the intercooler install myself, but I'd highly advise finding a buddy to help you out - one person to hold the intercooler and another person to connect the pipes.

DO NOT forget the O-rings and to check that C-Clip is seated fully onto the intercooler! I did a test drive without the c-clips locked in and car failed to hold boost above 5psi lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 12:51 PM   #13
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep

We share same year N55s...refresh my memory, but did you install the EWG connection to the JB4? If you didn't, have fun on the install. LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 12:53 PM   #14
maxio
Private
Rep

Quote:
We share same year N55s...refresh my memory, but did you install the EWG connection to the JB4? If you didn't, have fun on the install. LOL
Yes I installed the EWG connector - it was easier than installing the Inlet pipe lmao.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 12:59 PM   #15
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes I installed the EWG connector - it was easier than installing the Inlet pipe lmao.
I'm still on the fence regarding the TIC, but did also install the EWG a few weeks back. Unlike the TIC, it was well worth the trouble. Thanks for all you'll blunt, honest feedback. There's nothing worse than jumping into a project and having it 10x worse than what you think.
Appreciate 1
maxio19.00
      12-12-2018, 10:45 PM   #16
izzy99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

How hard to install the TIC pipe? Just got my FTP kit and will install soon.
Appreciate 0