F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > VRSF 5" FMIC Poor Fit
Extreme Powerhouse
Closed Thread

08-31-2018, 04:49 PM   #23
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
It's great that they're now not defective. I'm sure that will make their old customers very happy.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 11:36 PM   #24
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
It's great that they're now not defective. I'm sure that will make their old customers very happy.
Should have never happened is the point and still customers popping up with this defective stock of fmc”s.
IK6SPEED4488.00
      08-31-2018, 11:45 PM   #25
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
Should have never happened is the point and still customers popping up with this defective stock of fmc”s.
I'm the OP. I was being sarcastic. I'm pretty disappointed in the vendor that sold me this and VRSF for somehow making this so poorly.

I won't divulge the vendor's name, but I find it hard to believe they didn't know that the VRSF FMIC wasn't defective.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2018, 05:22 AM   #26
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
I'm the OP. I was being sarcastic. I'm pretty disappointed in the vendor that sold me this and VRSF for somehow making this so poorly.

I won't divulge the vendor's name, but I find it hard to believe they didn't know that the VRSF FMIC wasn't defective.
Yes I understood your post lol! Absolutely and I was agreeing with you! I also got into it with Tiago about the issue with his FMICs and charge pipes having subpar quality control.
      11-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #27
RedLeather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M-Sport 6MT 335i

I've just installed this intercooler as well, but used the factory torx bolts. The ones VRSF sent are longer, but are different threading as pictured below. What is everyone else using to bolt the FMIC up?
Attached Images

Current: 2015 Alpine White over Coral Red M-Sport 6MT 335i (EWG) - VRSF 5" High Density FMIC / VRSF Charge Pipe / VRSF Catless Downpipe / Borla ATAK / Pipercross Filter / MHD OTS Stage 2 95 Octane / BMS Spacers - 15mm front; 18mm rear - OE 442M wheels/ Rolls Royce Door Chimes / Bang & Olufsen DSP settings for H/K
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #28
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALE90N54 View Post
I've just installed this intercooler as well, but used the factory torx bolts. The ones VRSF sent are longer, but are different threading as pictured below. What is everyone else using to bolt the FMIC up?
I never got the screws you show in your photo. I just re-used the original FMIC machine screws that came with the car. I don't think I got any hardware with the VRSF FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 03:10 PM   #29
RedLeather
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I never got the screws you show in your photo. I just re-used the original FMIC machine screws that came with the car. I don't think I got any hardware with the VRSF FMIC.
I ended up using the originals as well. The shorter screw in the photo is the factory screw. The two longer screws came in the small bag together, taped to the inside top piece of packing styrofoam.
Current: 2015 Alpine White over Coral Red M-Sport 6MT 335i (EWG) - VRSF 5" High Density FMIC / VRSF Charge Pipe / VRSF Catless Downpipe / Borla ATAK / Pipercross Filter / MHD OTS Stage 2 95 Octane / BMS Spacers - 15mm front; 18mm rear - OE 442M wheels/ Rolls Royce Door Chimes / Bang & Olufsen DSP settings for H/K
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #30
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Do not use the original screws. Use the ones that came with the kit. OP can you confirm that the tabs have been corrected for everyone?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 04:33 PM   #31
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
Yes I understood your post lol! Absolutely and I was agreeing with you! I also got into it with Tiago about the issue with his FMICs and charge pipes having subpar quality control.
We take our customer's concerns very seriously and I'm happy to say the tab issue has been corrected and we've made the necessary corrections to the charge pipes as well.

If there's anyone with an existing intercooler or chargepipe that has any concerns, feel free to PM us directly and we'll be happy to get you taken care of
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 07:03 PM   #32
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Do not use the original screws. Use the ones that came with the kit. OP can you confirm that the tabs have been corrected for everyone?
I haven't received the updated FMIC yet. I haven't gotten around to taking the photos you asked me to take of the tabs on the FMIC before you send out the replacement.

Also, I never received new hardware (screws) in the box. Is that a problem?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 07:06 PM   #33
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I haven't received the updated FMIC yet. I haven't gotten around to taking the photos you asked me to take of the tabs on the FMIC before you send out the replacement.

Also, I never received new hardware (screws) in the box. Is that a problem?
PM or e-mail us and we'll be happy to get you squared away.

There shouldn't be an issue with using the OEM screws but the intercooler has larger than OEM tabs. Longer screws should be used. If you'd like a replacement set shoot us a PM and we'll get you setup with a set.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #34
bkdore
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i GC

I'm glad this topic came up. I just received my intercooler and didn't see any screws when unpacking it. I went out to the trash and found them taped to the back of the styrofoam packing.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 07:06 PM   #35
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
I'm still using the intercooler with the original tabs, and I either didn't see the screws or they weren't included...

I actually have louder fan noise because the intercooler is slightly larger than the stock, and the fan sits just slightly further back causing a gap between the fan and the intercooler. Is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 08:42 PM   #36
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
Can anyone confirm the VRSF provided longer screws work with the new fixed tabs (even though the threading is clearly different)?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 09:26 PM   #37
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdore View Post
I'm glad this topic came up. I just received my intercooler and didn't see any screws when unpacking it. I went out to the trash and found them taped to the back of the styrofoam packing.
That's the first place we ask customers to check when we hear that the intercooler didn't come with screws. Glad you found them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
I'm still using the intercooler with the original tabs, and I either didn't see the screws or they weren't included...

I actually have louder fan noise because the intercooler is slightly larger than the stock, and the fan sits just slightly further back causing a gap between the fan and the intercooler. Is this normal?
Shoot us a PM and we'll set you up with a replacement if the fan noise is bothering you. Every new intercooler sold includes the revised tabs
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #38
RedLeather
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My concern with using the screws that came with the kit is the different thread pitch from the OEM screws, as shown in the picture I posted above. Unless the intercooler screws changed with different year models possibly? My car is a 2015 f30 and the thread pitch on the OEM intercooler screws is a good bit more spaced out than the screws that came with the kit.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 01:51 PM   #39
RedLeather
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
In regards to the picture I posted above, how do your OEM and VRSF screws compare to what I have? (The shorter screw with the wider thread pitch is my OEM, the two longer screws are what came with my FMIC and have a tighter thread pitch.)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #40
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My concern with using the screws that came with the kit is the different thread pitch from the OEM screws, as shown in the picture I posted above. Unless the intercooler screws changed with different year models possibly? My car is a 2015 f30 and the thread pitch on the OEM intercooler screws is a good bit more spaced out than the screws that came with the kit.
We've tested the same screws on cars with intercoolers that weigh twice as much. Please listen to the manufacturers recommendations and use the screws provided.

We love selling intercoolers but I'd hate to have to sell you another one because the first FMIC fell off the car due to using the incorrect fasteners
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #41
bkdore
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm installing mine this morning. I've got everything in and tightened up, but it looks like the new intercooler is hanging about 1/4" too low. The tabs on the intercooler do hold the fan in place but just barely. The intercooler mounting bolts are tight and I can't get it to go any higher. The mounting tabs are touching the mounting points. The fan isn't moving and won't go any lower. I've loosened everything back up and moved things around but this is the best I can get. It's the same on both sides. Piping and clips are in place. The fan shroud is touching the turbo inlet on the intercooler and it could be binding there and preventing it from dropping into place. There is plenty of clearance on the other side between the fan shroud and the outlet/chargepipe. Is this correct fitment?
Attached Images

Last edited by bkdore; 11-10-2018 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: Add attachment
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 10:05 AM   #42
bkdore
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In regards to the picture I posted above, how do your OEM and VRSF screws compare to what I have? (The shorter screw with the wider thread pitch is my OEM, the two longer screws are what came with my FMIC and have a tighter thread pitch.)
The screws I received are exactly the same as yours. I had no problems using them.. The mounting points look to be plastic and it looked like the new screws cut a bit deeper than the factory ones to help support the weight of the heavier intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 05:56 PM   #43
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm installing mine this morning. I've got everything in and tightened up, but it looks like the new intercooler is hanging about 1/4" too low. The tabs on the intercooler do hold the fan in place but just barely. The intercooler mounting bolts are tight and I can't get it to go any higher. The mounting tabs are touching the mounting points. The fan isn't moving and won't go any lower. I've loosened everything back up and moved things around but this is the best I can get. It's the same on both sides. Piping and clips are in place. The fan shroud is touching the turbo inlet on the intercooler and it could be binding there and preventing it from dropping into place. There is plenty of clearance on the other side between the fan shroud and the outlet/chargepipe. Is this correct fitment?
Your intercooler is sitting just fine, good job on a proper install
Appreciate 1
bkdore103.00
      12-12-2018, 08:55 AM   #44
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
Quote:
I also never got the screws included with my 5" Street HD FMIC.

Tiago@VRSF I tried contacting you via PM three times since last week with no response, so I'm hoping I have better luck here.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread