F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Completed my "Stage 1" upgrades! ***Updated 5-6-18***
Extreme Powerhouse

04-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #67
FenixMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd5150 View Post
That's disappointing to hear.
I agree. I don't care much for being talked down to though, and have no problem spending my money elsewhere. As a prior business owner, I may have a higher standard on what I expect, but an even higher standard when it comes to customer service.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2018, 10:11 AM   #68
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
Are you spraying into the charge pipe or did you install a port injection kit?
Just into the charge pipe. I wont be using the methanol as a fuel system replacement, I just want it to cool the air charge. After looking at some of the Fuel-It kits, id LOVE to have one of the spray bars, however I just don't have the need for it, and if I someday need more than I can get with my current setup, im just going to sell it and get a 5/6 series and do turbos.

Last edited by FenixMike; 04-30-2018 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 11:35 AM   #69
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Cool!! I'm assuming you got the AEM Part Number: 30-3302 - V2 Water/Methanol Nozzle and Controller Kit, Standard Controller - Internal MAP with 35psi max, 200psi WM Pump, Jets, NO TANK INC. So my main questions regarding your setup, and why I was asking about a DIY is this....

1. What tank were you getting and where were you locating it?
2. Where did you mount the pump?
3. Did you get the shut-off solenoid and if so where did you mount it?
4. Where did you mount the indicator LED?
5. Where did you connect the boost line hose?

I've been thinking of utilizing the windshield wiper fluid reservoir as my tank as windshield wiper fluid for cold climates can have as much as 50/50 meth/water solution. Snow Perf boost juice is 49/51. I like the windshield wiper fluid reservoir solution as you'll get an indication that your boost juice is low when the low-level indicator comes on the dash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixMike View Post
Just into the charge pipe. I wont be using the methanol as a fuel system replacement, I just want it to cool the air charge. After looking at some of the Fuel-It kits, id LOVE to have one of the spray bars, however I just don't have the need for it, and if I someday need more than I can get with my current setup, im just going to sell it and get a 5/6 series and do turbos.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 12:31 PM   #70
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Cool!! I'm assuming you got the AEM Part Number: 30-3302 - V2 Water/Methanol Nozzle and Controller Kit, Standard Controller - Internal MAP with 35psi max, 200psi WM Pump, Jets, NO TANK INC. So my main questions regarding your setup, and why I was asking about a DIY is this....

1. What tank were you getting and where were you locating it?
2. Where did you mount the pump?
3. Did you get the shut-off solenoid and if so where did you mount it?
4. Where did you mount the indicator LED?
5. Where did you connect the boost line hose?

I've been thinking of utilizing the windshield wiper fluid reservoir as my tank as windshield wiper fluid for cold climates can have as much as 50/50 meth/water solution. Snow Perf boost juice is 49/51. I like the windshield wiper fluid reservoir solution as you'll get an indication that your boost juice is low when the low-level indicator comes on the dash.
Ive installed probably 60 meth kits in my time, and 95% of the time I use the washer tank, but that is mainly because there aren't any good aftermarket options, or there just isn't room (most of my stuff was on corvettes or smaller sports cars, or trucks that didn't have room in the engine bay after a supercharger/turbo install). With this particular kit, I used the Burger 3 gallon tank that goes in the trunk in the storage compartment. The pump mounts to the bottom of the tank (its quiet, cant hear it at all inside the car), otherwise I likely would have pulled the bumper to install it somewhere on the frame or front bumper area. I did a cutoff solenoid and mounted it in the compartment where the brake booster is... tons of room and its away from the heat of the engine, as well as allowed me to run the meth line with stock harnesses so literally the only thing you see is about 12 inches of line in my engine bay, then the meth nozzle. I didn't use an LED indicator, mainly because I also don't use any fail safes, tank level sensor etc (all the stuff I read people having problems with), so pending something is broken, it should always work. If it doesn't, my tune doesn't require the use of meth, and considering the difference it makes, it should be noticeable. I may wire one in later, but id want it to be somewhere easily removable so if/when I sell it, there isn't a hole, so id probably either put it inside the gauge cluster, or somewhere low key that I can see it, but it wont leave any trace. Boost line hose is connected to a Dinan boost line adapter at the MAP sensor. Fuel It makes an adapter that I didn't find until after pulling my hair out and ordering the dinan (see Turner Motorsports rant of it taking forever) and it likely would have worked better as while the dinan fit, it definitely isn't "made" for our cars and requires modification of the engine cover, wire harness clips and the screws are the wrong thread (but still work since its going into plastic). I installed all the electronics near the battery in back and got ignition off the heated seat fuse, and its super easy to just open the battery door to adjust the methanol window. I ran the Meth line, boost hose and two wires for the solenoid up to the engine bay from the back and just followed the factory fuel lines under all the panels... its nice and clean, took me about 2-3 hours making sure I loomed all the wires, tied everything up, and made some brackets for the tank since there was really no other way to bolt it down in the 435i.

Oh, thought id add... while I cant stand Snow Performance as a company, the boost juice is very cheap through Summit Racing, and if you order over $100, its free shipping. I just order 3 cases at a time and its cheaper than anywhere else I can find, plus free freight. I will probably eventually order methanol through Torco since they are local, but I had already ordered the AEM through summit, so I just added on the boost juice for this order.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 07:01 PM   #71
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:

Honestly, I'd wait...there's "supposed" to be a HPFP solution coming soon...should solve the up-top fueling issues up to the N55's "internals" capabilities.

(I'd still recommend Fuel-It's S2 or S3 LPFP for sure, must have)

and.....welcome to the Pure dark side . .. offer still stands .

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 2
      04-30-2018, 07:05 PM   #72
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
Honestly, I'd wait...there's "supposed" to be a HPFP solution coming soon...should solve the up-top fueling issues up to the N55's "internals" capabilities.

We will see where work takes me in the next 6-12 months... its a guaranteed move for this promotion and I won't get a location until 4-6 weeks before hand. There may be an X5M in my future if its a snowy terrain, or if its a good street scene, we will see where this goes or upgrade to a M car Phoenix sucks with 1 track, and competing with the half mile guys that spend more on their cars than I make in a decade isn't much fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 07:10 PM   #73
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
We will see where work takes me in the next 6-12 months... its a guaranteed move for this promotion and I won't get a location until 4-6 weeks before hand. There may be an X5M in my future if its a snowy terrain, or if its a good street scene, we will see where this goes or upgrade to a M car Phoenix sucks with 1 track, and competing with the half mile guys that spend more on their cars than I make in a decade isn't much fun.

LOL! I get it.

If you're going to go down the 1/2 mile run rabbit hole, I'd keep your build right where it is and start planning for a F80 or F82...

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 01:58 AM   #74
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post

What is this HPFP solution you’re hinting at? I’ve see some works around the dual hpfp pump but crazy expensive
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 07:06 AM   #75
F30_SixSpeed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
What is this HPFP solution you’re hinting at? I’ve see some works around the dual hpfp pump but crazy expensive
This would be for a single HPFP upgrade. Patiently waiting for updates on this as well - IMO a lot better option then getting fueling from Port injection or meth (for extra fueling, not cooling) and will be a lot easier to tune for then the dual s55 pumps.

The XDI-HPFP-35 is the first High Flow High Pressure Direct Injection pump to replace Bosch, Denso, Magneti Marelli and Delphi pumps.

It is capable of up to 200bar / 2900psi injection pressure.
It flows up to 35% more when mounted on the same cam lobe.

The XDI-HPFP-60 is the bigger brother of the XDI-HPFP-35. Since it was designed based on the same flexibility criteria as the XDI-HPFP-35, it can be mounted on almost all the same engines.

It is capable of up to 240bar / 3500psi injection pressure.
It flows up to 60% more when mounted on the same cam lobe.

http://www.xtreme-di.com/index_files/HPFP35.htm

335i M Sport 6MT || PS2 Turbo, FBO, XDI-35 HPFP, BM3, KW, MP BBK, OEM+
INSTAGRAM || BUILD THREAD
Appreciate 2
ronanz1819.50
      05-01-2018, 07:13 AM   #76
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Would this require injector upgrades as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_SixSpeed View Post
This would be for a single HPFP upgrade. Patiently waiting for updates on this as well - IMO a lot better option then getting fueling from Port injection or meth (for extra fueling, not cooling) and will be a lot easier to tune for then the dual s55 pumps.

The XDI-HPFP-35 is the first High Flow High Pressure Direct Injection pump to replace Bosch, Denso, Magneti Marelli and Delphi pumps.

It is capable of up to 200bar / 2900psi injection pressure.
It flows up to 35% more when mounted on the same cam lobe.

The XDI-HPFP-60 is the bigger brother of the XDI-HPFP-35. Since it was designed based on the same flexibility criteria as the XDI-HPFP-35, it can be mounted on almost all the same engines.

It is capable of up to 240bar / 3500psi injection pressure.
It flows up to 60% more when mounted on the same cam lobe.

http://www.xtreme-di.com/index_files/HPFP35.htm

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 07:23 AM   #77
F30_SixSpeed
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Would this require injector upgrades as well?
From my understanding, no... stock injectors should be fine to use with the HPFP upgrade.

Appreciate 1
JaredG_F301106.00
      05-01-2018, 07:25 AM   #78
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_SixSpeed View Post
From my understanding, no... stock injectors should be fine to use with the HPFP upgrade.
Do you know what the flow limitations are of the stock injectors? running straight E85 would be wonderful for these cars pending there is enough injector and pump to flow it... However if the injectors are the next hurdle to hit a 550-600ish rwhp E85 mark, that will be a pricy upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 08:13 AM   #79
F30_SixSpeed
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Do you know what the flow limitations are of the stock injectors? running straight E85 would be wonderful for these cars pending there is enough injector and pump to flow it... However if the injectors are the next hurdle to hit a 550-600ish rwhp E85 mark, that will be a pricy upgrade.
Unfortunately I don't. I wish BM3 software (the tuning platform I am using) would log "injector duty cycle" as one of the parameters... would be nice to see how much they are flowing on different setups/boost levels to see if they even would warrant an upgrade. If they are flowing anywhere near 85% and above their capacity... would warrant an upgrade. I will ask the team at PTF/BM3 if this is something they can add for data logging.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 09:15 AM   #80
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

This looks sweet, do we have any idea of the price? The 35 would suit my needs pretty well i think...
      05-01-2018, 10:31 PM   #81
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

If perfection had a sound... Unfortunately the one day it rained this year was the day I installed the exhaust, so no videos until I get time later this week
Thanks to Mike at Extreme Powerhouse for the fantastic pricing and FAST shipping on this kit... I couldn't be happier with the service he offers and will keep feeding him money as fast as I can make it!

Last edited by FenixMike; 05-02-2018 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #82
GPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Did you install the Akra downpipe as well as the full catback? If so I'll be very interested to hear how it sounds. I've resisted getting a downpipe as I actually really like how the Akra sounds with the stock downpipe. I've overdone it when it comes to exhausts on too many cars in the past and don't want to make that mistake again, especially with how much an Akra or a Fabspeed DP costs.
      05-02-2018, 10:51 AM   #83
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPM View Post
Did you install the Akra downpipe as well as the full catback? If so I'll be very interested to hear how it sounds. I've resisted getting a downpipe as I actually really like how the Akra sounds with the stock downpipe. I've overdone it when it comes to exhausts on too many cars in the past and don't want to make that mistake again, especially with how much an Akra or a Fabspeed DP costs.
I have the Wagner downpipe... cold start is pretty loud (borderline piss the neighbors off loud since I leave for work at 4:45 am), but once the wastegate closes after 30 seconds, its literally quieter and smoother than stock. May just be the car learning, but the idle really smoothed out from stock, cruise you can hear a little more burble, and WOT is absolutely divine, with the perfect blip when the car shifts. I haven't gone above 55 yet, but in regular mode, its just as quiet, if not quieter, than stock at cruise, and when in sport mode around 50, you can hear it a bit more in the 2500-3000 rpm range, but not overly loud or annoying, just actually there for a change. I had the windows down this morning but I will see how it is this weekend when its 105 out and the AC is on. If youre not far from north phoenix / north Scottsdale, youre welcome to hear it, otherwise I will be at ESS Tuning in Chandler sometime this week or next if I can get away from work for a bit and AJ has time to tune it. If none of those options, dyno videos will be up from that, and I will try to get some fly bys if I get time, and a camera man.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 11:11 AM   #84
GPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have the Wagner downpipe... cold start is pretty loud (borderline piss the neighbors off loud since I leave for work at 4:45 am), but once the wastegate closes after 30 seconds, its literally quieter and smoother than stock. May just be the car learning, but the idle really smoothed out from stock, cruise you can hear a little more burble, and WOT is absolutely divine, with the perfect blip when the car shifts. I haven't gone above 55 yet, but in regular mode, its just as quiet, if not quieter, than stock at cruise, and when in sport mode around 50, you can hear it a bit more in the 2500-3000 rpm range, but not overly loud or annoying, just actually there for a change. I had the windows down this morning but I will see how it is this weekend when its 105 out and the AC is on. If youre not far from north phoenix / north Scottsdale, youre welcome to hear it, otherwise I will be at ESS Tuning in Chandler sometime this week or next if I can get away from work for a bit and AJ has time to tune it. If none of those options, dyno videos will be up from that, and I will try to get some fly bys if I get time, and a camera man.
PM me if you get time to go to ESS. I'm south of Chandler and I'd like to see their shop.

Interesting to hear your perspective of the Wagner DP. I'm assuming its the catted version. I would have expected it to be noticeably louder but with the Akra being valved perhaps that helps tone it down when closed.
      05-02-2018, 11:21 AM   #85
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
PM me if you get time to go to ESS. I'm south of Chandler and I'd like to see their shop.

Interesting to hear your perspective of the Wagner DP. I'm assuming its the catted version. I would have expected it to be noticeably louder but with the Akra being valved perhaps that helps tone it down when closed.
im not running a cat, and the valve really makes a negligible difference... The turbo is still technically one huge muffler, which is why there isn't much noise with the wastegate shut and no load on the engine. As far as schedule, that's mostly up to AJ, I will see if he gives me notice, but hes slammed right now with projects, and im working 70 hour weeks, so it will likely be last minute.

Wagner makes top notch stuff, and judging by the construction and welds alone, its worth every cent over the competition. Fitment was perfect, sound is great, and it looks absolutely fabulous.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 12:29 PM   #86
GPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
im not running a cat, and the valve really makes a negligible difference... The turbo is still technically one huge muffler, which is why there isn't much noise with the wastegate shut and no load on the engine. As far as schedule, that's mostly up to AJ, I will see if he gives me notice, but hes slammed right now with projects, and im working 70 hour weeks, so it will likely be last minute.

Wagner makes top notch stuff, and judging by the construction and welds alone, its worth every cent over the competition. Fitment was perfect, sound is great, and it looks absolutely fabulous.
70 hour weeks, ah I remember that well. Fortunately I'm now at zero hour weeks.

Interesting that you find the catless DP reasonable. I'm guessing that we might have different ideas on that front, since I'm probably 30-40 years older than you (just a guess of course).

Excellent job on your build BTW. Very well thought out and executed.
      05-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #87
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
70 hour weeks, ah I remember that well. Fortunately I'm now at zero hour weeks.

Interesting that you find the catless DP reasonable. I'm guessing that we might have different ideas on that front, since I'm probably 30-40 years older than you (just a guess of course).

Excellent job on your build BTW. Very well thought out and executed.
You might be surprised... my days of 800-1000 horsepower race cars are done. I built the exhaust on my last 550i by myself to make sure it was quiet and throaty, but I just don't have the access to a lift and welder anymore so I went Akra this time. I don't like loud cars, I don't want stinky fuel fumes, and this has neither issue. When I say quieter than factory, its borderline Toyota Prius once the wastegate closes, and after ESS did the stage 1 tune, the fuel smell was gone from the catless DP.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #88
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Idle vid cold start

Appreciate 1