F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > EGR cooler recall
ARMA SPEED

07-25-2019, 10:48 PM   #111
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim07e90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineX View Post
Quote:
Just bought this car in Oct 2018 at 50k mi and now has 66k mi. I haven't had any oil changes just recall issues
You should be getting on those oil changes. Lots of people here are in the 8k miles interval camp.

Possible that your codes are all related to the intake manifold (except SCR pump), definitely do not drive it like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
Quote:
Dammit, I'm gonna call my SA tomorrow but I have a feeling I'm going to be denied a tow for 70-80 mi. So that's a big possibility for low boost issues right?
Yes, that is 100% why. It all derives from EGR cooler not cooling the exhaust, due to faulty cooling fins inside leaking coolant.

You should not drive it, because your engine is still safe here and will be reliable once the fix has been applied.
These cars aren't bad, although you've been through a bit more than others.

They can probably be convinced to pay for tow. The risk of fire goes way up once manifolds start melting. I would send them pictures if they need convincing.

You are 75% of the way to worst case scenario from the egr cooler failure. Don't let it get to 100%. The fix is free, so enjoy a good car after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328dX View Post
Quote:
Hole
Holy shit. Def looks related to the egr. No way someone can puncture a hole like that
Thanks all you N47 gurus. I appreciate the help! I'll keep you guys posted.
How many miles? Sorry if you said it earlier just check this on my phone during work and don't read everything
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 11:26 PM   #112
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Dammit, I'm gonna call my SA tomorrow but I have a feeling I'm going to be denied a tow for 70-80 mi. So that's a big possibility for low boost issues right?
I'm pretty confident BMW will pay for your tow (might have to get it authorized by BMWNA instead of the dealership). They're liable for this since 1) they've issued a recall, 2) they haven't told people their cars need to be inspected urgently (and in some cases are telling you to not come in since they don't have replacement parts), and 3) it'd be pretty bad press for them to burn a fireman's vehicle and make you pay for towing.

I had a discussion with some BMWNA recall folks at Bimmerfest and argued with them over why they won't do the inspection until parts are ready. My argument was, wouldn't you want to know if cars are in partial states of failure to prevent endangering customers and prevent fires before they happen?

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 01:20 AM   #113
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe this could be the issue. WTH!
Wow! I'd thoroughly document that damage and like everyone else said: tow it back to the dealer at all costs.
      07-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #114
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

I got a remedy available notification letter yesterday from BMW and they give instructions to pull over and call a tow. I'll pay a picture of it when I get home tonight. If they are instructing people to do that, I would assume they would pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 11:30 AM   #115
mar52
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328d wagon & 2012 X5d

The risk of fire is why the Santa Monica dealer has my car in impound. If they know and release the car they are then liable if the car catches fire.

You want a tow and a loaner car!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 11:48 AM   #116
Tim07e90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [8.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just bought this car in Oct 2018 at 50k mi and now has 66k mi. I haven't had any oil changes just recall issues
You should be getting on those oil changes. Lots of people here are in the 8k miles interval camp.

Possible that your codes are all related to the intake manifold (except SCR pump), definitely do not drive it like that.
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, that is 100% why. It all derives from EGR cooler not cooling the exhaust, due to faulty cooling fins inside leaking coolant.

You should not drive it, because your engine is still safe here and will be reliable once the fix has been applied.

They can probably be convinced to pay for tow. The risk of fire goes way up once manifolds start melting. I would send them pictures if they need convincing.

You are 75% of the way to worst case scenario from the egr cooler failure. Don't let it get to 100%. The fix is free, so enjoy a good car after.
Quote:
Quote:
Hole
Holy shit. Def looks related to the egr. No way someone can puncture a hole like that
How many miles? Sorry if you said it earlier just check this on my phone during work and don't read everything
Sorry for the late response 66k miles
Performance Mods: ST Coilovers | R1 Concepts Premier Rotors w/Hawk HPS Pads | ECS Stainless Steel Brake Lines | OEM 219M Wheels | Bridgestone Potenza RE760 | Precision Euro Spacers | AA Race Headers | AFE Race Midpipes | Remus Powersound Quad Exhaust | AA Offroad Tune | RevMotoring Intake Pipe | Cyba Scoops
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 11:50 AM   #117
328iX
David
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Hole
Sorry for the late response 66k miles
Oh geez. I'm 100 miles away from 66k haha no sign of anything though.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 11:52 AM   #118
Tim07e90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [8.50]
So an update, BMW is denying me a tow and is giving the run around. I'm going back and forth with my SA and she keeps telling me it's not in the bulletin to have a tow covered. Then stated that the mechanics said EGR recall isn't even for the intake. Now I'm on hold again trying to figure who I need to call next.
Performance Mods: ST Coilovers | R1 Concepts Premier Rotors w/Hawk HPS Pads | ECS Stainless Steel Brake Lines | OEM 219M Wheels | Bridgestone Potenza RE760 | Precision Euro Spacers | AA Race Headers | AFE Race Midpipes | Remus Powersound Quad Exhaust | AA Offroad Tune | RevMotoring Intake Pipe | Cyba Scoops
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 11:53 AM   #119
328iX
David
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So an update, BMW is denying me a tow and is giving the run around. I'm going back and forth with my SA and she keeps telling me it's not in the bulletin to have a tow covered. Then stated that the mechanics said EGR recall isn't even for the intake. Now I'm on hold again trying to figure who I need to call next.
BMW NA? Not sure where you're located but they've helped me with that question in the past
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 12:39 PM   #120
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:
Then stated that the mechanics said EGR recall isn't even for the intake.
These are the people you are dealing with. They are wrong, you have a severe case where the egr failing damaged the manifold.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 12:58 PM   #121
Tim07e90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [8.50]
Quote:
Quote:
BMW NA? Not sure where you're located but they've helped me with that question in the past
Another quick update, my wife(bless her heart) and I hounded BMW of Palm Springs and they agreed to cover the tow. They have one coming out now and I questioned them about the whole EGR and Intake issue. As far as I know, they're going to cover it. I'll keep you guys posted
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 01:16 PM   #122
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:
Another quick update, my wife(bless her heart) and I hounded BMW of Palm Springs and they agreed to cover the tow. They have one coming out now and I questioned them about the whole EGR and Intake issue. As far as I know, they're going to cover it. I'll keep you guys posted
These are the new people you're dealing with, they're better and obviously more experienced (which is to your benefit).

Keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 01:20 PM   #123
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
This is why I recommended you speak with BMWNA and not the dealership. The way recalls/warranty work works, is BMWNA reimburses the dealer for it. So if it's outside of the "normal" coverage (EGR cooler inspection and replacement), then the dealer doesn't know if BMWNA is going to reimburse them for it. That's why the dealer denied you initially, because they need to get approval reassurance from BMWNA that they'll get reimbursed.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 03:43 PM   #124
Maz99
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xdrive sedan

I spoke with my service advisor this morning and he told me the EGR is not coming in today . At the earliest it will be late next week, but he told me to not really expect it before Aug 5.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 08:48 PM   #125
Tim07e90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [8.50]
So, I just want to give an update to all of you who have commented on this post and those whom have helped over the past few days. I finally received my car back and fixed late Monday afternoon (July 29). First off, it was a huge, and I mean huge hassle trying to get BMW of Palm Springs to cover my tow back to their dealership. Even after I tried contacting BMW NA for help, they didn't want to do anything. Here's a quick rundown of the problems I encountered:

1. EGR recall bulletin states that the dealership doesn't need to provide a tow back to the dealership. They will only cover tow to the nearest dealership, but the problem is the EGR parts are back ordered and will require days, if not weeks of your car sitting at the dealership and inoperable. **My saving grace was that my SA said weeks ago that my car was still ok to drive while awaiting parts for the EGR and it backfired on her when we called her manager and told her what she told me. So they were obligated to send me a tow.**

2. The mechanic told my SA while back-and-forth on the phone with me on Friday that my melted intake wasn't the cause of the EGR issue and recall. **I called her out on that because on my invoice for awaiting parts for the EGR recall weeks ago they stated they would replace the intake manifold as a courtesy since it's somewhat part of the issue. And after a few arguments, the Shop Foreman confirmed to my SA that my issue was a "worst case scenario"**

Basically those were the main problems I encountered. And I hope you all have better experiences, even though mine wasn't as bad as it seems. I appreciate you guys telling me to continue to fight for what they needed to do for me. I guess it also helps my wife knows the GM and a few managers there and gave them an earful. Lol
Appreciate 2
Enabled1406.00
AndrewC198910910.50
      07-31-2019, 09:21 PM   #126
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
2. The mechanic told my SA while back-and-forth on the phone with me on Friday that my melted intake wasn't the cause of the EGR issue and recall.
Thanks for the update!

The technician was right that the melted intake manifold isn't the cause of the EGR issue, it's the result of it! Melted intake manifolds and fires from that (were more seen in foreign markets) are what prompted the global recall in the first place!

Quote:
I guess it also helps my wife knows the GM and a few managers there and gave them an earful. Lol
Remind me never to get into an argument with your wife! Sounds like quite a fighter.

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 09:07 PM   #127
328iX
David
United_States
Rep

I'm taking my car in tomorrow. 66.5k miles no signs of issues or coolant loss but they keep annoying me to bring it in. So I'm gonna just go as an excuse to get a loaner for the weekend.

Also they have the parts ready in stock so those who heard "nobody in the country has them" by their SA is a lie.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 12:11 AM   #128
mar52
United_States
Rep

Thanks for that information. I'll get back to my SA. In the meantime my check engine light just came on in my X5 which isn't a part of that recall. It's always something!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 01:01 PM   #129
328iX
David
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar52 View Post
Thanks for that information. I'll get back to my SA. In the meantime my check engine light just came on in my X5 which isn't a part of that recall. It's always something!
So just as I expected, nothing found wrong and car is working as intended, didn't get one of the defective units.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 10:30 PM   #130
mar52
United_States
Rep

My parts are in and my 328D Wagon should be ready tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 12:01 AM   #131
mar52
United_States
Rep

Well, I still don't have the car. "Damage and repair were much more involved"

But they have the part.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 12:03 AM   #132
328iX
David
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar52 View Post
Well, I still don't have the car. "Damage and repair were much more involved"

But they have the part.
Hope it gets resolved at least you'll have a ton of new parts. I listed my car for sale I'm over it lol.
Appreciate 0