F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > BMW CCA L.A. 1-Day HPDE @ Auto Club Speedway, Friday 09/27/2013
Extreme Powerhouse

08-31-2013, 03:15 AM   #23
Forgiven
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22, X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Awesome. What group are you in? Or are you instructing?
Instructing? puhahaha nah bro..this is my 2nd time on track in 6 years. I am hoping to learn and have fun eh
      08-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #24
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgiven
Quote:
Awesome. What group are you in? Or are you instructing?
Instructing? puhahaha nah bro..this is my 2nd time on track in 6 years. I am hoping to learn and have fun eh
Cool. F30?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #25
JN1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: S211 AMG E63

what's the cutoff? midnight?
      08-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #26
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNLBC View Post
what's the cutoff? midnight?
Yes. As of tomorrow morning 12:00am PST the pricing switches to the $349 for members, $399 for non members structure.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #27
JN1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

dope. I'm a member so ill try and lock in tonight.
      09-01-2013, 03:41 AM   #28
JN1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

late night = missed early reg.
      09-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #29
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNLBC View Post
late night = missed early reg.
I've extended the pricing until the end of this weekend.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #30
Forgiven
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Cool. F30?
Yap AH3
      09-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #31
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgiven
Quote:
Cool. F30?
Yap AH3
Hahah awesome! Lets target the mpg to low single digits lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #32
Forgiven
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Lol..damn i'll do my best!
      09-02-2013, 12:14 AM   #33
JN1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I've extended the pricing until the end of this weekend.
Thank you! I registered minutes ago. See you all there! Who else on here is rollin out?

Last edited by JN1; 09-08-2013 at 02:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #34
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

n00b question....

How much track time, how many run groups (and cars per group)?

I'd love to go but in am trying to wrap my head around the cost since it is 2x to 2.5x the cost of other track days I typically go to.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #35
The HACK
Rep

4 sessions, 20-25 min per session. 15-20 cars per group. Groups divided into A+ for advanced drivers, B for Advanced Intermediate drivers, C for Intermediate drivers (3-5 events), D or beginners (0-2 events).

You are paying more for BMW CCA schools because you get world class in-car instruction you won't get elsewhere unless you pony up for the real race schools like Skip Barbara or Russel type schools. Even compared to BMW's own Performance schools, you don't get this kind of instruction and value.

If you're doing time trials or are on the brink of a successful career in amateur racing, then you probably won't need this kind of in-car coaching. But as far as driver's education event is concerned, BMW CCA has provided the highest quality instruction for decades. You want to learn how to drive fast on the track and learn how to do it right, there are few organizations that can provide BETTER value than our program, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #36
JN1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
4 sessions, 20-25 min per session. 15-20 cars per group. Groups divided into A+ for advanced drivers, B for Advanced Intermediate drivers, C for Intermediate drivers (3-5 events), D or beginners (0-2 events).

You are paying more for BMW CCA schools because you get world class in-car instruction you won't get elsewhere unless you pony up for the real race schools like Skip Barbara or Russel type schools. Even compared to BMW's own Performance schools, you don't get this kind of instruction and value.

If you're doing time trials or are on the brink of a successful career in amateur racing, then you probably won't need this kind of in-car coaching. But as far as driver's education event is concerned, BMW CCA has provided the highest quality instruction for decades. You want to learn how to drive fast on the track and learn how to do it right, there are few organizations that can provide BETTER value than our program, IMO.
Definitely reassuring. Can't wait!

HPDE should be required for first time high powered car owners IMO. I figure before I graduate to a Porsche I should get a couple years of seat time in.
      09-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #37
SergioK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
n00b question....

How much track time, how many run groups (and cars per group)?

I'd love to go but in am trying to wrap my head around the cost since it is 2x to 2.5x the cost of other track days I typically go to.
Quote:

One of the founding fathers of the Pacific region's driving schools stated that as soon as you go out 'solo' your learning curve goes flat. Indeed, I'd done a couple track days while 'learning' to drive and sure you can pay 1/2 as much but how much, if any, are you learning?

Set some specific goals for yourself for the day... and, GO OVER THEM WITH your instructor. Maybe it's your braking you want to hone, or getting on the throttle sooner, consistently, etc?

Or heck, maybe you already know all there is to know about driving and there's nothing more to learn.

I like to tell my students, even as an instructor, I keep learning. I may have 'mastered' one track in a certain car... just change a variable and the learning curve starts all over again.

Note: I find a certain instructor likes to ride shotgun with me then tell me I don't need to brake as much when entering a turn... it's a good time when I crank the wheel and the car understeers like a pig.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:06 AM   #38
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Thanks for the info.

Agreed that great instructors are golden and I know enough to know I don't know a lot

Are the socal BMW CCA instructors pros who get paid to race and are volunteering for the club on their time off?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #39
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Are the socal BMW CCA instructors pros who get paid to race and are volunteering for the club on their time off?
Nobody gets paid to race. Even great seasoned pros like Bill Auberlen and Boris Said have to bring something to the table to race in terms of endorsements. That's why Danica Patrick is such a commodity in racing, not because she's a great driver, but because she's MARKETABLE.

Having said that. We do have quite a number of instructors that race professionally and in amateur ranks. Too many to name, in fact. But Boris Said did some classroom work with our A+ group in last year's Auto Club Speedway event.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #40
SergioK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

At least she's not dead last...

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/195...port_list.html
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #41
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Nobody gets paid to race. Even great seasoned pros like Bill Auberlen and Boris Said have to bring something to the table to race in terms of endorsements.
#10 guy on that top 10 most baller racer list just posted was $14M salary and $0M endorsements....
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #42
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

There are some other benefits to BMW CCA driver schools -

When there are instructors in all of the cars all day, even if the other driver near you might be a ham-fisted imbecile, there is an instructor in his car doing his best to make sure he doesn't do anything too dangerous. With the cheaper track day organizations, you risk your life and limb on the hope and prayer that the other people on track are competent, paying attention, etc...

Partially as a result of our organization's emphasis on safety and teaching, you are actually able to buy HPDE insurance for our events! That is a great idea because things can happen on the track even under the best of circumstances. Your normal auto insurance might or might not (probably won't) cover you.

Also our schools are much smaller. That gives you more track space and allows the student to focus on driving instead of spending the entire day trying to deal with traffic. Think about it - how do those companies make money? The track costs them the same as it costs us...to cover the same expenses at half the entry cost, you need double the paid drivers.

Personally I began my HPDE career with BMW CCA back in 2003. Over the intervening decade I tried running with various other, cheaper organizations. Now I don't go on track with anybody BUT BMW CCA because to me the cost savings was not worth the risk to me any my car. You tend to see some REALLY stupid stuff happening at those events...

Hope you enjoy our event!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #43
SergioK
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Two different types of 'endorsements'

Quote:
Nobody gets paid to race. Even great seasoned pros like Bill Auberlen and Boris Said have to bring something to the table to race in terms of endorsements.
Quote:
#10 guy on that top 10 most baller racer list just posted was $14M salary and $0M endorsements....
The figures listed for endorsements are the amount these racers get paid by advertisers for hawking their products. Those are endorsement deals that the driver/rider gets paid for.

The 'endorsements' that Hack referred to aren't endorsements, but sponsorships. Getting OTHER companies to throw in sponsorship in terms of funds to actually operate the team (pay crew salaries, buy tools, parts, etc).

So now I'm wondering, what does Kimi, Massa or heck, #2 spot Webber get paid since they aren't even on this list?!?! Rossi made the list yet Pedrosa and Lorenzo are no where to be found. Seems suspicious.

And yes, as Mocohead said... I'd seen the 'zoo' at some other events and thought, nah... I like my car's sheetmetal just as it is thank you very much.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #44
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
There are some other benefits to BMW CCA driver schools -

When there are instructors in all of the cars all day, even if the other driver near you might be a ham-fisted imbecile, there is an instructor in his car doing his best to make sure he doesn't do anything too dangerous. With the cheaper track day organizations, you risk your life and limb on the hope and prayer that the other people on track are competent, paying attention, etc...

Partially as a result of our organization's emphasis on safety and teaching, you are actually able to buy HPDE insurance for our events! That is a great idea because things can happen on the track even under the best of circumstances. Your normal auto insurance might or might not (probably won't) cover you.

Also our schools are much smaller. That gives you more track space and allows the student to focus on driving instead of spending the entire day trying to deal with traffic. Think about it - how do those companies make money? The track costs them the same as it costs us...to cover the same expenses at half the entry cost, you need double the paid drivers.

Personally I began my HPDE career with BMW CCA back in 2003. Over the intervening decade I tried running with various other, cheaper organizations. Now I don't go on track with anybody BUT BMW CCA because to me the cost savings was not worth the risk to me any my car. You tend to see some REALLY stupid stuff happening at those events...

Hope you enjoy our event!
Hey are you coming?
Appreciate 0