F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Connected Driving - Coding
Extreme Powerhouse

06-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Connected Driving - Coding

Maybe one for @shawnsheridan, I have every option under the sun on my F30. This includes connected drive with all the NBT functionality:

APPS
Internet
iPhone

Etc etc, for a while now our country has not had any connected drive services and BMW in our country announced yesterday that it now has the paid services for traffic, remote lock etc

Traffic $130 a year
Remote lock etc $320 a year.

Now I don't care for Remote Lock I just want the traffic (in our country its updated every minute - from the service provider they using and the TOM TOM that use the same data are actually very cool).

Here is the kicker when buying the car I remember an option for a module with a SIM card for connected drive. Mine had that on it when I bought it. BMW in my country now says Connected drive will only be available on cars July 2014 and onwards.

They talk about a "Sim module" with a dedicated SIM card thats "encrypted" with a specific service provider in our country.

How does connected drive work from a HW perspective, what ECU's and programming does it need / have I want to do some poking around to see if I at least have the HW in the car.

I know the rest is services but I might have a way around that with contacts within BMW
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
In your SVT, do you have a Telematics Communication Box (TCB) module?

If so, then you should be able to get ARTTI.

If I was coding it, I would add 6AM to my VO and VO Code TCB and NBT.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
In your SVT, do you have a Telematics Communication Box (TCB) module?

If so, then you should be able to get ARTTI.

If I was coding it, I would add 6AM to my VO and VO Code TCB and NBT.
Hmm interesting I don't see "TCB", here is the list of items in my SVT, is this something that's easily retrofitable?

I can see references in coding on the modules (NBT and Telematics) to Connected drive, traffic for navi etc...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
I would imagine retrofitting TCB is probably not too difficult. It's probably a connection to BODY_CAN Bus, and then run GSM Aerial antennae from Shark Fin to TCB.

But, I think unless BMW offers an official TCB retrofit, you will never get them to accept your car has TCB, and have them provision it for use though them.

Incidentally, the TBX Module you have Highlighted is Handwriting Control Module for ZBE Module, which is the iDrive Touch Controller. As is, your car has no Telematics.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 03:15 AM   #5
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
I would imagine retrofitting TCB is probably not too difficult. It's probably a connection to BODY_CAN Bus, and then run GSM Aerial antennae from Shark Fin to TCB.

But, I think unless BMW offers an official TCB retrofit, you will never get them to accept your car has TCB, and have them provision it for use though them.

Incidentally, the TBX Module you have Highlighted is Handwriting Control Module for ZBE Module, which is the iDrive Touch Controller. As is, your car has no Telematics.
Thanks for helping me out on this. Yeah I need to do some homework here, I don't thing getting the HW in and fitted is the issue. The services are still subscriptions which means I will have to get an "account" with BMW...
Appreciate 0