F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > time-sert manual gearbox still attached to the engine ?
Extreme Powerhouse

03-11-2021, 01:46 PM   #1
teufeld
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw f30 335i. bmw x3 e83 3.0

time-sert manual gearbox still attached to the engine ?

Hi,
I just bought a manual f30 335i xdrive and like with all my previous bmw, I planned to change all fluid, water pump, thermostat ...

And when I went to unscrew the oil fill plug on the gearbox, I felt that something was wrong.

The good news is that someone already changed the oil transmission, which for me is a good sign of someone who is taking good care of his car (not the previous owner since he told me he did nothing)
The bad new is that the guy who did the job, clearly overtorque the plug, and now there is few if no thread left

So I changed the oil, put some red loctite on the fill plug and ordered a M18x1.5 time-sert kit.
I'm driving it and waiting after the kit.

The thing is, since it's the fill plug, there is little access on the side of the gearbox, So it won't be possible to timesert it properly.

My question is for those who already changed their clutch, do you think it's possible to drop a little the transmission ? I remember doing that to change my clutch on my previous one (e30/e36) by removing the exhaust and driveshaft ?
Maybe I will need to remove the engine plastic cover? and charge pipe ?

Any recommendation will be appreciate
Or maybe I will pray each time I will drive it for the loctite to hold the plug and when the time will come to change the clutch, timesert it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0