F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Help me decide (subframe and diff mounts)
Studio RSR

04-01-2021, 12:07 PM   #23
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussiwillow View Post
Got the 75d bushings
The 95a diff bushings are out of stock, this brings a new question; since I'm using the diff lock down plate from bms, it mounts the diff to the subframe very robustly, do you think just up grading the front diff bushings will be plenty? Debating this one; I was in the air about diff inserts for the front bushings, since the lock down; but may just replace the fronts with 95a and be done. The rear mount looks like hell, wonder if the rear mount can be removed with diff in car if I pull the cover...
kool. Nothing wrong with the 75D...i might be in the same boat.

I've never tried the BMS mount so can't speak to it. it certainly looks robust.

I feel your pain...that rear diff bushing is an absolute bastard. I gave up and dropped the rear subframe. I couldn't fit any tools in there to remove it unless i was willing to take out the differential and axles to have space to work.

Last edited by brigade24; 04-01-2021 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: claritin clarity
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 01:02 PM   #24
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigade24 View Post
Quote:
Got the 75d bushings
The 95a diff bushings are out of stock, this brings a new question; since I'm using the diff lock down plate from bms, it mounts the diff to the subframe very robustly, do you think just up grading the front diff bushings will be plenty? Debating this one; I was in the air about diff inserts for the front bushings, since the lock down; but may just replace the fronts with 95a and be done. The rear mount looks like hell, wonder if the rear mount can be removed with diff in car if I pull the cover...

I feel your pain...that rear diff bushing is an absolute bastard. I gave up and dropped the rear subframe. I couldn't fit any tools in there to remove it unless i was willing to take out the differential and axles to have space to work.
I think 75d is the best compromise
Nearly solid without some of the concerns with solid.
I think just the front diff bushings are gonna be fine, honestly the mount is a monster, I think it'll tighten up really well even on stock bushings but want to limit the potential flex and load on the rear bolts of the diff to brace.
I just installed 70a poly trans mounts, let the noise begin lol, car sounds insane now hahaha wife is gonna kill me, but it feels a lot better braking and on the throttle, the drivetrain doesn't feel like it's held by mashed potatoes lol
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 02:13 PM   #25
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
I did some googling and saw limited review on some things, long story short, 2014 335i 71k miles.

Background was a track prepped e36 I daily drove for awhile, solid subframe, poly diff mounts, poly engines and trans mounts, loved how insanely solid and connected that car felt; obviously the f30 is nowhere near that. Now the debate...

St-xa coilovers in bound, poly trans mounts in bound (70a) to start. Debating vtt engine mount inserts, anyway, I want to tighten up the subframe and diff, I don't care about NVH as I said above, the e36 was driven daily for years. Debating powerflex black inserts to make my life easy, or should I drop the subframe and do solid subframe, 95a diff mounts and be one and done.

The car won't see much if any track time in the near future, just really want to keep this a high power street build that doesn't feel like a Buick on the road. Make sense? Obviously inserts aren't going to be anything like a full bushing replacement, especially with something like aluminum or poly, but black inserts may be enough to take the slop out to my liking. My other plans are a diff lock down plate so maybe diff bushings aren't as critical for stability, opinions are encouraged.
I know this is an all out bushing thread but IMO with the F3x chassis, I'd start by swapping out the upper and lower front control arms for these with monoball bushings. It gets rid of the hated vague F3x steering that those who owned E-Series cars always complain about.

Steering during acceleration and braking becomes incredibly precise. Guys who track have said that they'd stay 3-4 feet from the outside wall with the stock bushings, but they feel like they can hold a line inches from the wall with these monoballs installed.

No added NVH through the F3x chassis at all, but instead there's added road feel to the driver's hands transmitted through the steering wheel.

The monoball bushings are installed in brand new OEM arms with new ball joints. So stock alignment specs stay exactly the same.

Here's the F3x RWD versions:

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...8;_ss=r?aff=22

Here's the F3x XDrive versions:

Photo shows comparison of the big stock Thrust Arm bushing that prevents NVH but causes so much F3x vague steering play vs the monoball bushings now in my car. Steering feels so precise, like I could just nick a stack of dimes on the lane line if I wanted to.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-01-2021, 03:54 PM   #26
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
I did some googling and saw limited review on some things, long story short, 2014 335i 71k miles.

Background was a track prepped e36 I daily drove for awhile, solid subframe, poly diff mounts, poly engines and trans mounts, loved how insanely solid and connected that car felt; obviously the f30 is nowhere near that. Now the debate...

St-xa coilovers in bound, poly trans mounts in bound (70a) to start. Debating vtt engine mount inserts, anyway, I want to tighten up the subframe and diff, I don't care about NVH as I said above, the e36 was driven daily for years. Debating powerflex black inserts to make my life easy, or should I drop the subframe and do solid subframe, 95a diff mounts and be one and done.

The car won't see much if any track time in the near future, just really want to keep this a high power street build that doesn't feel like a Buick on the road. Make sense? Obviously inserts aren't going to be anything like a full bushing replacement, especially with something like aluminum or poly, but black inserts may be enough to take the slop out to my liking. My other plans are a diff lock down plate so maybe diff bushings aren't as critical for stability, opinions are encouraged.
I know this is an all out bushing thread but IMO with the F3x chassis, I'd start by swapping out the upper and lower front control arms for these with monoball bushings. It gets rid of the hated vague F3x steering that those who owned E-Series cars always complain about.

Steering during acceleration and braking becomes incredibly precise. Guys who track have said that they'd stay 3-4 feet from the outside wall with the stock bushings, but they feel like they can hold a line inches from the wall with these monoballs installed.

No added NVH through the F3x chassis at all, but instead there's added road feel to the driver's hands transmitted through the steering wheel.

The monoball bushings are installed in brand new OEM arms with new ball joints. So stock alignment specs stay exactly the same.

Here's the F3x RWD versions:

Here's the F3x XDrive versions:

Photo shows comparison of the big stock Thrust Arm bushing that prevents NVH but causes so much F3x vague steering play vs the monoball bushings now in my car. Steering feels so precise, like I could just nick a stack of dimes on the lane line if I wanted to.

Hope this helps!
This is the exact set up I'm going to run in the front end, my tension struts are showing their life is up, getting some tram lining. I have 5 weeks or so til my coil overs are off back order and I'll be doing everything in one go
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 08:31 PM   #27
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigade24 View Post
Quote:
Got the 75d bushings

Hey, subframe bushings came today, super excited, the 95a diff bushings are out of stock and I don't know when they get new stock, they have 75d in stock, they suggest matching diff bushings with subframe bushings, that being said the old e36 had solid aluminum subframe and 95a diff bushings and it was fairly quiet even in a fully gutted car you only heard the diff on decel and it was light.

You having delrin in both places, how bad is the diff noise? I'm automatic so decel isn't really like a manual on the street, I may just opt for the 75d diff mounts and be done with it if the noise isn't extreme
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 11:17 AM   #28
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Side note the diff brace keeps the rear end feeling less swimmy, I like it
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 04:04 PM   #29
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Well that looks like a breeze to install.
That swimmy feeling is more pronounced now thay I have an lsd. I was under the impression it was more form the rubber subframe mounts? But this looks so easy to install couldn't hurt
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 04:21 PM   #30
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Quote:
Well that looks like a breeze to install.
That swimmy feeling is more pronounced now thay I have an lsd. I was under the impression it was more form the rubber subframe mounts? But this looks so easy to install couldn't hurt
The diff mounts are also super soft so my theory is, it doesn't really move much at all on its own, so the only movement is the subframe, but under load I imagine the drivetrain sort of keeps resistance on everything keeping movement fairly less, it still needs bushings back there but it's improved pretty good, especially for those not wanting to switch to stiff bushings. Install is easy, just gotta drill the subframe, 1/2" bit is perfect
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 02:41 PM   #31
Tchao
Boost Addict
Rep
Drives: E30, E82, F30, F87

Any report of NVH increase on the diff brace and/or the subframe bushings?

Thats hopefully my next project once the fronts are done. AKG sub&diff bushings.
      04-09-2021, 03:03 PM   #32
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchao View Post
Any report of NVH increase on the diff brace and/or the subframe bushings?

Thats hopefully my next project once the fronts are done. AKG sub&diff bushings.
Diff brace I didn't notice much of anything whatsoever as far as noise goes, subframe is still stock, I won't be installing for a minute, waiting on diff bushings and possibly going to get the sway bars done so I don't have to drop this again later, got some new trans mounts yesterday I'm going to install tonight tho haha
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Logicoeur991.00
      04-10-2021, 12:01 AM   #33
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

In they went!
Had to open the trans cross member holes approx 1mm since old mounts are 8mm stud, e21 is 10mm stud, as well as remove the alignment pins on the bracket.
I also had to file about 1mm on the upper trans bracket forks to accommodate.

The drivetrain feels so nice under power, braking and turning etc. just feels so much more planted than before without adding any harshness, and minimal noise and hardly any vibrations.

I'd say they support about 70-80% of what the poly trans mounts did with about 10-15% of the NVH.

The wife said they felt great, so I guess it's dishwasher approved!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 12:04 PM   #34
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

Quote:
In they went!
Had to open the trans cross member holes approx 1mm since old mounts are 8mm stud, e21 is 10mm stud, as well as remove the alignment pins on the bracket.

The drivetrain feels so nice under power, braking and turning etc. just feels so much more planted than before without adding any harshness, and minimal noise and hardly any vibrations.

I'd say they support about 70-80% of what the poly trans mounts did with about 10-15% of the NVH.

Ha...nice!
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2021, 06:34 AM   #35
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
In they went!

What's the noise like from the diff now that you have 75D differential bushings? Or did you just use the plate instead?
Appreciate 0