F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > *Bm3 N20 Stage 1/2 CAI vs IC*
Studio RSR

01-31-2023, 04:00 AM   #1
Virgin Bimmer
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

*Bm3 N20 Stage 1/2 CAI vs IC*

Hi Guys, I just got my 428i N20 last week and am going to do my first bm3 tune in the next few days.

Have been in a dilemma about some of the things I should be doing before the tune, hope you guys can provide your opinion !

My friend warned me about stock CP and BP blowing so i started getting parts for preventive measures.. and some how.. i ended getting carried away and buying tons of other stuff as follows ...

Parts bought as follows :

1x Eisenmann Quad exhaust
1x FTP Charge Pipe
1x FTP Boost pipe
1x FTP Turbo Inlet
1x Evo Rw High flow DP

Question:

Should i be Getting a MST CAI and run Stage 1 bm3 tune

VS

VRSF 5" HD IC and run stage 2 bm3 mod with drop in BMC filter

Hope to hear some Opinions soon !

Cheers !!!
- Virgin Bimmer
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 05:33 AM   #2
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

I would go all the way for stage 2, unless you want to spend extra $50 for multi map. In that case, you can take your mod slowly and use stage 2 when you are ready.

Fyi. Stage 2 doesn’t require an intake. You can use stock intake with stock air filter and it will not matter on the power gain.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 05:50 AM   #3
Virgin Bimmer
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerus_car View Post
I would go all the way for stage 2, unless you want to spend extra $50 for multi map. In that case, you can take your mod slowly and use stage 2 when you are ready.

Fyi. Stage 2 doesn’t require an intake. You can use stock intake with stock air filter and it will not matter on the power gain.

Thank you for ur suggestion !. Btw, do you know if i need to re-flash my tune if i go stage 2 and lets say i add a CAI along the way?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 06:05 AM   #4
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

No need to reflash if you add any FBO parts like intake or diverter valve. You need custom tune if lets say you upgrade turbo, but otherwise everything is ok if using OTS tune.

If you are planning custom tune, then buy every parts you plan to upgrade, then do custom tune so you can only custom tune and pay once. Otherwise you will pay the tuner for each tune you custom after you add parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 04:12 AM   #5
Virgin Bimmer
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerus_car View Post
No need to reflash if you add any FBO parts like intake or diverter valve. You need custom tune if lets say you upgrade turbo, but otherwise everything is ok if using OTS tune.

If you are planning custom tune, then buy every parts you plan to upgrade, then do custom tune so you can only custom tune and pay once. Otherwise you will pay the tuner for each tune you custom after you add parts.

Thanks buddy. Manage to get a Bm3 stage 2 tune going. Cheers !
Appreciate 0