F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > HUD mirror motor clicking
Studio RSR

11-01-2019, 01:50 PM   #1
Jsonnett
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i X

HUD mirror motor clicking

Hi guys. I recently purchased a 2015 335i xdrive with m-sport and tech package. I absolutely love having the HUD but noticed an issue with the motor/ gears that drive the mirror. I imagine this motor is used to adjust the display height. Just about every time I get out of the car (open door or key car off by pressing engine button twice) the HUD makes this pretty load click. It's three clicks in a row and sounds exactly like the motor is trying to drive the mirror beyond some mechanical stop and this is causing a gear between the motor and mirror to skip teeth. If I quickly get out and look through the windshield at the mirror I can see it sort of bounce as the skips happen. I have also noticed that sometimes the display seems to end up in different positions like it has forgotten its position or something.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Any known fixes? I would even consider unplugging this motor and keeping the display in a fixed position if needed. I have never taken this unit out and it seems a little intimidating to work on. Any advice? Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 11:28 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsonnett View Post
Hi guys. I recently purchased a 2015 335i xdrive with m-sport and tech package. I absolutely love having the HUD but noticed an issue with the motor/ gears that drive the mirror. I imagine this motor is used to adjust the display height. Just about every time I get out of the car (open door or key car off by pressing engine button twice) the HUD makes this pretty load click. It's three clicks in a row and sounds exactly like the motor is trying to drive the mirror beyond some mechanical stop and this is causing a gear between the motor and mirror to skip teeth. If I quickly get out and look through the windshield at the mirror I can see it sort of bounce as the skips happen. I have also noticed that sometimes the display seems to end up in different positions like it has forgotten its position or something.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Any known fixes? I would even consider unplugging this motor and keeping the display in a fixed position if needed. I have never taken this unit out and it seems a little intimidating to work on. Any advice? Thanks for the help!
CPO?

The servomotor is controlled by the microcontroller and moves the pivoting mirror into the required position. The Head‐Up Display is powered via the instrument cluster (KOMBI) using terminal 30B. The instrument cluster (KOMBI) transmits the control signals for stepper motors, sensors and display drivers.

Really no way to disable nor would you want to.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 09:36 PM   #3
Tdward91
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsonnett View Post

Did you ever figure out the issue? Mine is having this same issue and I have been searching threads and have found no resolution. Any help is much appreciated!
Appreciate 0