F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Unique-AD Wireless CarPlay
ARMA SPEED

10-13-2019, 12:56 PM   #243
Metafan
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ks View Post
Yes you can but you will not have voice in navigation.. (Waze)
That’s cool. But i won’t be able to see track titles of the idrive while using waze?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 02:02 PM   #244
Chris_ks
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 lci

Yes, it’s like two different menus, if you can see and hear idrive you will be out of CarPlay and the opposite.. The only level of integration is to hear radio, Bluetooth idrive music and just use CarPlay menu for Navi direction on screen..

Personally i think that using full CarPlay is the best overall experience because in the end you have everything in one menu without any “problems”..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 02:26 PM   #245
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metafan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ks View Post
Yes you can but you will not have voice in navigation.. (Waze)
That's cool. But i won't be able to see track titles of the idrive while using waze?
No. Of course not. CarPlay apps run full screen

10-24-2019, 07:14 AM   #246
Garywoo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330e MSport

I'm trying to evaluate which wireless unit is currently considered the better option.

From my research I can see the different options are currently:
  1. Unique Audio Developments CarPlay Interface
  2. Unichip CarPlay Smartbox v3.0
  3. Carlinkit CarPlay Interface

I have a widescreen display with NBT Evo ID4, and am mostly concerned with CarPlay audio quality, but fullscreen support is also desired.

The Unique AD option seems pretty good, but the reports of poor audio quality are off putting.

The Unichip solution is hard to get concrete info on, and I reckon support will be bad.

The Carlinkit display resolution looks terrible on widescreen, so I won't even consider that option.

Does anyone have anything to add here? Have I missed anything?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 05:25 PM   #247
BMTom
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywoo View Post
I'm trying to evaluate which wireless unit is currently considered the better option.

From my research I can see the different options are currently:
  1. Unique Audio Developments CarPlay Interface
  2. Unichip CarPlay Smartbox v3.0
  3. Carlinkit CarPlay Interface

I have a widescreen display with NBT Evo ID4, and am mostly concerned with CarPlay audio quality, but fullscreen support is also desired.

The Unique AD option seems pretty good, but the reports of poor audio quality are off putting.

The Unichip solution is hard to get concrete info on, and I reckon support will be bad.

The Carlinkit display resolution looks terrible on widescreen, so I won't even consider that option.

Does anyone have anything to add here? Have I missed anything?
They are all much the same. Same audio-wise too as it's aux input at the end of the day so I guess it depends on how much of an audiophile you are and how much tweaking you'll have to do until you feel happy.

I'd probably go for Unique Ad option though for better after sales support.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 06:03 AM   #248
Garywoo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330e MSport

What exactly do you mean by aux input? Is it using the same aux input as the 3.5mm jack in the armrest? Would it be the same audio quality as that jack if I just connected my phone to it?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 08:30 AM   #249
BMTom
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywoo View Post
What exactly do you mean by aux input? Is it using the same aux input as the 3.5mm jack in the armrest? Would it be the same audio quality as that jack if I just connected my phone to it?
Essentially yes. The sound for Carplay works by piggybacking off the aux input into the headunit.

When you want to use CarPlay with sound you must select the aux setting on media otherwise it'd be muted.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 12:00 AM   #250
netj
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMTom View Post
Essentially yes. The sound for Carplay works by piggybacking off the aux input into the headunit.

When you want to use CarPlay with sound you must select the aux setting on media otherwise it'd be muted.
Right, the Unique AD unit's audio out ultimately is fed back into the car via AUX (not the normal AUX jack but via one in the rear seat for my 2015 i3).

However, you can still play iOS Music, Podcasts, Audiobooks, Audible via Bluetooth and also do phonecall via Bluetooth, so it's not the end of the world. I think keeping your iPhone paired with iDrive does get in the way and sometimes CarPlay doesn't start right away (even when it's connected to the right WiFi), so I'm figuring out a better setup but if you want identical audio quality, Bluetooth audio option is still available. Think of iDrive as a bluetooth speaker you happen to carry around in your car with CarPlay. The unit really takes over just the display and a few buttons on steering wheel/iDrive control for CarPlay and the rest of iDrive stays the same. I actually still play music imported into iDrive library for my kid while listening with my Airpods audible/podcasts and putting Waze on CarPlay display. Waze and many apps seem to either not remember the audio output preferences and send audio to a deadend (CarPlay's AUX) but Music app in iOS 13 seems to remember Bluetooth vs. CarPlay output. Just wanted to say that with Unique AD, AUX becomes CarPlay's audio and the rest of Radio, Media, etc. menus in iDrive still decides what plays on the car speakers.

fwiw CarPlay on the wide screen 10" on my i3 feels so much better than my other much more expensive car that came with a smaller touchscreen + wired-only CarPlay. I'm learning iDrive wheel is also actually much safer/easier to interact than a touchscreen. I just wish there's a quick way to jump between apps or home screens w/o having to dial/scroll a whole bunch or press the back button so many times (maybe I just don't know yet). Anyway, super happy with the upgrade.

Last edited by netj; 11-03-2019 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: elaborate on more audio setup choices
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #251
Yom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Hi,
I'm thinking to buy an Unique AD, but I've a question.
My car has a factory surround view (F10, pre-LCI).
When I push the "camera" button on the centre console to activate the side view cameras, does the AD unit switch to side view screen? Or should I go back to the idrive menu first?
(And the same question for surround camera activation by pressing the PDC button?)
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #252
sknsean
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 330d 2013

I’m selling mine.
Not because it was bad but because I have bought another car.

PM me
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 03:38 PM   #253
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
they sell a device for newer cars >2016

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wire...era-interface/

Unfortunately their "support" disappeared when asked for a video of wireless AA running on widescreen bmw. Too bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 09:25 PM   #254
garanadhav
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steker View Post
Recently Unique Auto Developments (https://unique-ad.co.uk) added a product to their portfolio that I've been wanting for a while now:

crossword solver sip calculator epfo

At this moment only the 6.5" screens are supported but "Wireless CarPlay for NBT 8.8″ and 10.2″ are coming soon.", so I thought let's keep an eye on the development of this product as I can imagine many are waiting for this.

I saw that user AlbertoSONIC already has a unit in his car and these are his findings. He has found two ways of connecting and using CarPlay:

1. "CarPlay outputs audio thru aux. iPhone pairs with CarPlay via bluetooth and then it streams video and audio via wifi. So on the iPhone you can still be connected to iDrive bluetooth (as the connection with CarPlay is via wifi) and choose it as audio destination. So you could use CarPlay together with iDrive bluetooth, listen iPhone audio via bluetooth, answer calls from iDrive, see the caller in the kombi display etc, while seeing CarPlay in the iDrive screen. But it's too good to be true and actually it's not doable, because it has a serious issue: in this state the iPhone doesn't know if to get the microphone from CarPlay or from the car, so it keeps switching audio destination from CarPlay to iDrive. For example, you're listening iPhone music thru iDrive bluetooth. You get a call, iPhone thinks CarPlay should handle it so the mic has to be CarPlay one, audio switches to CarPlay, so you have to select aux in the iDrive. Call ends, audio switches back to bluetooth, so you have to select bluetooth in iDrive. It's a mess. So what you have to do is:

Do everything with CarPlay. Forget iDrive completely. Remove the bluetooth connection from iPhone to iDrive and use only CarPlay. Listen music on CarPlay, listen radio on CarPlay, answer calls on CarPlay. Never exit it or you will lose calls because if the screen is showing iDrive interface, and audio is not on aux, you will never ever notice you're receiving a call. Remember that you aren't paired with the iDrive anymore, so kombi won't show anything."

2. "This is the setup:

- iDrive with factory mic
- CarPlay with external mic
- iPhone and CarPlay paired (wifi)
- iPhone and iDrive paired (bluetooth)
- aux selected in iDrive

The requisite is that the iPhone connects first to iDrive and then to CarPlay. If it connects to CarPlay first, you have to change audio destination to CarPlay on the iPhone, as it normally chooses the last connected device.

With this setup, you can see CarPlay, listen CarPlay songs/indications and use siri (with CarPlay external mic). At the same time, when you do or receive a call, the call interface is shown in CarPlay BUT it's actually handled by the iDrive. Infact, you see the caller name in kombi AND you can call from kombi contact list AND the call goes thru iDrive bluetooth so it uses car oem mic! And when the call ends, audio goes back to aux for CarPlay, automatically!

This means that you can use CarPlay, then hide it and use iDrive normally, while having it still connected without losing calls as they're still shown in the iDrive, too!

Using wired CarPlay will still use external mic. Remember that this wireless CarPlay is not an update of the old wired CarPlay interface, it's a totally new device. So it won't support car's mic in any way (and if you were interested in, it also doesn't support steering wheel control wheel like the wired one. Unique told me that they may add it later on)

Also consider that if you use the setup I wrote about some posts above (CarPlay + iDrive bluetooth), calls are routed thru bluetooth so they use car'a mic. External mic is used only for siri voice commands and if it is worse in terms of quality, no one will notice (not even siri, which understands perfectly every command, without speaking loud)"

Let's hope for an update from Unique-AD soon.

EDIT 1: the full screen wireless CarPlay version for 8.8" and 10.25" screens is here!

It's listed as a separate product: https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/carp...ies-2013-2016/

I've placed my order, so now we wait!

EDIT 2: I have it installed! It works really really well. It's fast, smooth, wireless, widescreen, I basically never go back into iDrive anymore. Google Maps, Waze, Spotify, Tunein Radio, WhatsApp, Flitsmeister, etc, I really can't live without anymore. I'm in love with my car all over again.
The box lunches Carplay automatically when you connect the phone - without the phone there are some options on display - the tiles have some titles like android auto, carplay, screen mirror... I never really go in there...

Last edited by garanadhav; 01-03-2020 at 11:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #255
brtttt
Ü
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31

Considering purchasing one of these after reading through the thread.
What are the thought's of people who have owned one of these for sometime now.

Would you still recommend one or a different type ?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:56 AM   #256
mdchris
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

I have one from Aliexpress which is essentially the same as the unichip, I think unichip just rebrands it. Works great, do not regret it at all. Support is a little dicey but I haven't really needed it.
Appreciate 1
brtttt74.00
      01-27-2020, 07:18 PM   #257
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchris View Post
I have one from Aliexpress which is essentially the same as the unichip, I think unichip just rebrands it. Works great, do not regret it at all. Support is a little dicey but I haven't really needed it.
Unique-AD devices ARE NOT rebranded Unichip products.

01-28-2020, 07:49 AM   #258
mdchris
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
Unique-AD devices ARE NOT rebranded Unichip products.
I never mentioned Unique-AD? Mine is a Limcet box sold by Kremersino.

edit: I guess i'm in a thread titled Unique-AD, should have been more clear on what type mine was.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 07:53 AM   #259
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 318d F30 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertz View Post

After almost a year of usage, I honestly would buy it again. The mic quality is good enough, the audio quality has been improved and after some updates they also added android auto and airplay so it can also be used for other things! (airplay can be used to stream the phone screen, so this includes youtube, safari etc.)

So yeah I'd recommend it.
Appreciate 1
brtttt74.00
      01-28-2020, 07:59 AM   #260
brtttt
Ü
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoSONIC View Post
After almost a year of usage, I honestly would buy it again. The mic quality is good enough, the audio quality has been improved and after some updates they also added android auto and airplay so it can also be used for other things! (airplay can be used to stream the phone screen, so this includes youtube, safari etc.)

Great to hear , I was looking at the Andream MMI on these forums also which is half the cost compared to these,
so just trying to work out is it worth the extra and if its stable now updates have ironed out any previous issues

So I appriciate your feedback
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2020, 09:17 AM   #261
brtttt
Ü
United Kingdom
Rep

Anyone know if bimmercode will clear the glove box fault?

Seen a few people through numerous threads having the same fault when having to remove the glove box and some having to take it to BMW to have it cleared.

Last edited by brtttt; 01-29-2020 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 12:48 PM   #262
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoSONIC View Post

Alberto

Where did you get the updates that improve audio quality and add airplay???

02-13-2020, 10:50 PM   #263
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brtttt View Post

Like Alberto, I've had mine since April and it's worked great! Never had an issue with it, and I'd highly recommend it.

My only complaint is the audio quality...it does it's own signal processing, and when music is played through AUX, it sounds terrible...nothing like when played through bluetooth.

02-14-2020, 03:32 AM   #264
brtttt
Ü
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
Like Alberto, I've had mine since April and it's worked great! Never had an issue with it, and I'd highly recommend it.

My only complaint is the audio quality...it does it's own signal processing, and when music is played through AUX, it sounds terrible...nothing like when played through bluetooth.
Ive since purchased and fitted one , so far so good but yes I agree with the quality of sound.

I did notice for some reason when it auto enables after I enter the car the sound is muted, I have to double tap the volume knob to un mute then just plays as it should through iTunes.
Appreciate 0