F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > F30 Dead N26 Motor 60k Miles
ARMA SPEED

10-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #1
Etto
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i F30

F30 Dead N26 Motor 60k Miles

So as you can tell from the title my F30 with an N26 motor ( 2012 production ) just died on me.

I recently had timing chain replaced under warranty ( in August ) all Oil services were done within the recommended 5k ( one of them was done after 7k due to a long roadtrip to entertain my mother ) all filters were replaced when I first bought the car ( 2nd owner, bought at 49k miles ) and oil was replaced.

I'm very confused. Long story short basically the oil screen got clogged with a bunch of little bits that in turn made my motor seize and die. My father and I have been discussing this back and forth ( he's a brilliant engineer ) and we've both kind of come to the conclusion that my motor dying the way it did was a freak show. Now to delve into what you all probably need to know to help me out here:

I was on a miniature freeway going about 65 in the left lane, all of a sudden my revs redline and just drop and I feel a kind of bogging down in the car. I get an engine oil pressure light and immediately pull over. Many hours, AAA phone calls, and PD tow later, my car's at the shop. Next morning I get a call informing me my motor is toasted. We couldn't even get it into Neutral ( or even start *duh*) so we had to manually change gears from underneath the car behind the underbody. This is my first F30 and only my 2nd BMW so I'm like pretty surprised to see a motor like this die at 60k miles. Bear in mind, this car has never been pushed crazy. It's bone stock, and I've never tracked it ( i'm not gonna kill my suspension like that, it's 7 years old ). After paying a hefty price, I got the shop to take apart my engine and they informed me the oil screen was clogged like crazy. The oil pan itself was full on oil ( 3-5 quartz he said ) just none of it getting to the top.

Now I'm thinking there HAD to have been some mistake on the timing chain replacement ( maybe a piece of plastic was left wrapped around something and it burned and clogged the screen? ) because the oil was fresh ( not the issue for sure ) the timing chain *notorious for being the main flaw in these engines* was brand new, etc. etc. but of course dealerships being dealerships basically told me to either pay them a 1500 diag fee or go fuck myself so I told them I'll excuse myself to the corner with a 12 foot dildo.

Any help on this matter would be GREATLY appreciated, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 02:57 PM   #2
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

The big question is what type of material is clogging the oil pickup. Just oil sludge, plastic from chain guides, something else? That would help to lead you to the root cause.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etto View Post
I recently had timing chain replaced under warranty
There's no such thing as coincidence, only cause and effect. Contact BMWNA, let them sort it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
There's no such thing as coincidence, only cause and effect. Contact BMWNA, let them sort it out.
This.

If you truly think that this could be related to the timing chain and its components, the only thing you can do is contact BMWNA and/or pay the dealership whatever fees and have them diagnose the problem and the cause of the failure is due to the timing chain/components, you'll get reimbursed.

Outside of doing that, you either scrap the car and move on or find yourself another engine and get it up and running again.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 11:20 PM   #5
f30nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i 6MT/ E36 M3 5MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etto View Post
So as you can tell from the title my F30 with an N26 motor ( 2012 production ) just died on me.

I recently had timing chain replaced under warranty ( in August ) all Oil services were done within the recommended 5k ( one of them was done after 7k due to a long roadtrip to entertain my mother ) all filters were replaced when I first bought the car ( 2nd owner, bought at 49k miles ) and oil was replaced.

I'm very confused. Long story short basically the oil screen got clogged with a bunch of little bits that in turn made my motor seize and die. My father and I have been discussing this back and forth ( he's a brilliant engineer ) and we've both kind of come to the conclusion that my motor dying the way it did was a freak show. Now to delve into what you all probably need to know to help me out here:

I was on a miniature freeway going about 65 in the left lane, all of a sudden my revs redline and just drop and I feel a kind of bogging down in the car. I get an engine oil pressure light and immediately pull over. Many hours, AAA phone calls, and PD tow later, my car's at the shop. Next morning I get a call informing me my motor is toasted. We couldn't even get it into Neutral ( or even start *duh*) so we had to manually change gears from underneath the car behind the underbody. This is my first F30 and only my 2nd BMW so I'm like pretty surprised to see a motor like this die at 60k miles. Bear in mind, this car has never been pushed crazy. It's bone stock, and I've never tracked it ( i'm not gonna kill my suspension like that, it's 7 years old ). After paying a hefty price, I got the shop to take apart my engine and they informed me the oil screen was clogged like crazy. The oil pan itself was full on oil ( 3-5 quartz he said ) just none of it getting to the top.

Now I'm thinking there HAD to have been some mistake on the timing chain replacement ( maybe a piece of plastic was left wrapped around something and it burned and clogged the screen? ) because the oil was fresh ( not the issue for sure ) the timing chain *notorious for being the main flaw in these engines* was brand new, etc. etc. but of course dealerships being dealerships basically told me to either pay them a 1500 diag fee or go fuck myself so I told them I'll excuse myself to the corner with a 12 foot dildo.

Any help on this matter would be GREATLY appreciated, thank you.
My car has been in the shop for timing chain/guide. My oil pump also needed to be replaced as there was fragments in there. Possible correlation?

Alpine White 12' F30 328i 6MT (SOLD)
Injen CAI | Bootmod3 Stage 1 | VRSF 5' Intercooler| Mishimoto Catch Can | 335i M Performance Exhaust | H&R Super Sports | HRE FF01 w/Hankook Ventus Evo2 | M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 07:21 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

In most cases when the timing chain is replaced the oil pump chain and often the oil pump is changed at the same time, especially if the timing chain guide has fragmented. It's pretty dumb not doing so. 90% of the cost involved is the labor to get at the timing chain, so you might as well do the oil pump chain and pump while you're in there.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 09:28 AM   #7
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

BMW warranty on repairs is 2 years. If the dealer didn't follow the repair protocol I believe they're on the hook. Call BMWNA.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0