F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Painting your brake calipers?
Studio RSR

07-30-2017, 07:50 AM   #1
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Glacier Silver F30 328i

Painting your brake calipers?

As I've been doing some research I'm noticing that upgraded brake kits for my car are pretty pricey. At this point I'm just clearly concerned with the cosmetic look and I've been thinking about ordering stock calipers and painting them myself or having them powder coated. My first question is... Would this be dangerous to do? Has anyone done something like this on their car? Anyone know where I can order stock calipers for a good price? Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated. Thanks
2014 GLACIER SILVER F30 328i * Wheels:18" VMR V801 Titanium Black Shadow * Springs: DINAN 1" Lowering Springs * Tune: BM3 OTS E30/93 OCT * Engine: Evolution Racewerks Catless DP/CP/FMIC * Intake: AWE S-Flo Carbon Fiber Intake * Exhaust: AWE Exhaust Suite + Mid Pipe * Go Fast Bits DV+ Diverter Valve * Plugs: NGK LI Plugs * Lights: Depo Angel Eyes W/ Morimoto HID's * Hood: Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Black 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbnb1978x View Post
As I've been doing some research I'm noticing that upgraded brake kits for my car are pretty pricey. At this point I'm just clearly concerned with the cosmetic look and I've been thinking about ordering stock calipers and painting them myself or having them powder coated. My first question is... Would this be dangerous to do? Has anyone done something like this on their car? Anyone know where I can order stock calipers for a good price? Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated. Thanks
I just did my brakes calipers and rotors over the last two days. Deffinently harder than American made cars but time to disassemble and reinstall was roughly 5-6 hours and prep and painting was about 8-10 hours. My front brakes were difficult but the tears were 3x as hard to get off. The only real trouble I had was in the tears because I was using a vacuum bleeder for the fronts and it was fine. However the vacuum bleeder wasn't high enough pressure to bleed the tears so I had to the old fashioned way with a helper. But really the biggest challenge is getting them off the car because mine were decently rusted and the rear carpet bolts were never removed before so it still had thread lock on it. Personally I wouldn't powder coat. It's expensive and to hyped up and not as durable as people say. I did everything with vht caliper paint and high heat primer spray cans. I used metal brush wheels to get as much rush and debris off and then sprayed everything down with brake cleaner, then 3 coats primer, 2-3 coats paint, 2 coats clear. Just follow direction on cans for wait times. The only important thing is down strip and bleeder or brake fluid lines and when painting, use a grocery or trash bag and tape to cover piston and seals so they don't get paint on them and tape off the bleeder but a ear plug or paper towel in the hole where the brake line connects, and tape off the rubber boots for the pins. Here's some pics and before and afters. If you don't have ISTA you can give me your last 7 of your vin and I'll provide you with the torque specs for reassembly.
Attached Images

07-30-2017, 08:40 PM   #3
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

You can paint your present calipers fairly easily. You can go "hardcore" and remove & disassemble into pieces for a superb job, or leave them in place & paint after a good cleaning & masking the parts you don't want to paint. This will still give a result that looks great for years, in my experience.

G2 caliper paint system: http://www.g2usa.com/product/G2.html

VHT aerosol caliper paint: http://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vht-caliper-paint

There are many YouTube videos depicting the process - here's one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmEEYTtIfMU
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 09:25 PM   #4
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
You can paint your present calipers fairly easily. You can go "hardcore" and remove & disassemble into pieces for a superb job, or leave them in place & paint after a good cleaning & masking the parts you don't want to paint. This will still give a result that looks great for years, in my experience.

G2 caliper paint system: http://www.g2usa.com/product/G2.html

VHT aerosol caliper paint: http://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vht-caliper-paint

There are many YouTube videos depicting the process - here's one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmEEYTtIfMU

Thank you
2014 GLACIER SILVER F30 328i * Wheels:18" VMR V801 Titanium Black Shadow * Springs: DINAN 1" Lowering Springs * Tune: BM3 OTS E30/93 OCT * Engine: Evolution Racewerks Catless DP/CP/FMIC * Intake: AWE S-Flo Carbon Fiber Intake * Exhaust: AWE Exhaust Suite + Mid Pipe * Go Fast Bits DV+ Diverter Valve * Plugs: NGK LI Plugs * Lights: Depo Angel Eyes W/ Morimoto HID's * Hood: Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 09:20 AM   #5
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Does anyone know the part numbers for the OEM front (left, right) and rear (left, right) brake calipers? I can't seem to find them.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 08:45 PM   #6
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

IMO painted sliding calipers always look cheap/DIY. It just looks bad.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 3
      08-02-2017, 08:53 PM   #7
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Looks like
Front:
Caliper housing left 34116799465
CALIPER HOUSING RIGHT 34116799466

Rear:
Caliper housing left 34216850857
CALIPER HOUSING RIGHT 34216850858
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 09:22 PM   #8
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Looks like
Front:
Caliper housing left 34116799465
CALIPER HOUSING RIGHT 34116799466

Rear:
Caliper housing left 34216850857
CALIPER HOUSING RIGHT 34216850858
Thank you sir.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 08:44 PM   #9
murphius1118
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
IMO painted sliding calipers always look cheap/DIY. It just looks bad.
I have to agree. However, painting an OEM-type silver color would be a good compromise if you don't have the cash to upgrade the calipers.
'13 328i xDrive│Jet Black│BMS JB Stage 1│MPE│18" 400M & Conti DWS 06│DelVal BMW CCA #533245
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 09:26 PM   #10
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphius1118 View Post
I have to agree. However, painting an OEM-type silver color would be a good compromise if you don't have the cash to upgrade the calipers.
It's not perfect but it's a good alternative to not having to look at rusty calipers/rotors. The rust bothers me so much I don't even want to drive my car sometimes.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2017, 09:41 PM   #11
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Convertible

Garage List
Powder coated my Brake Calipers http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1382270 not sure if this will work on the app. Roll_the_dice has s good thread on it.
      08-21-2017, 01:35 PM   #12
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's not perfect but it's a good alternative to not having to look at rusty calipers/rotors. The rust bothers me so much I don't even want to drive my car sometimes.

Project completed this morning. I'm very happy with the results. I ended up buy a 2nd pair of calipers off eBay, painting them, and installed Z Coated Zimmerman rotors.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 09:45 PM   #13
Regulator
Private
Rep
Drives: 15' 335i xDrive

I painted mine blue with the duplicolor brush on caliper paint kit and some silver caliper stickers. I masked off my rotor hubs and painted the visible portion (not the mating surface) black with caliper spray paint. Looks stock to me and cost like $50.

Appreciate 3
      08-22-2017, 10:09 PM   #14
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator View Post
I painted mine blue with the duplicolor brush on caliper paint kit and some silver caliper stickers. I masked off my rotor hubs and painted the visible portion (not the mating surface) black with caliper spray paint. Looks stock to me and cost like $50.

Nice work!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 10:42 AM   #15
d_a_m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Quote:

Those look sweet! Do you have any close ups or a few tips on how to do them using your technique?
      01-26-2018, 05:01 PM   #16
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Looks great!! Where did you get the stickers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_bri_328i View Post
Nice work!

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 05:06 PM   #17
F30RiK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13' 335 xdrive M-sport 6 Speed

Quote:

I like your wheels!!! are they original BMW? If yes what's the style number
Appreciate 1
d_a_m92.50
      05-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #18
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_bri_328i View Post
Very nice car. There are quite a few places where upgraded calipers are available. The difference between the upgraded calipers and base is not well understood. Let's say the M Sport/Brembos, are Aluminium, and a top alloy for its price-point. Secondly, they stay cool and do not rust. The best feature, is their virtual limitless wear resistance. A while ago used to think that Brembos were just well painted. It is more than that- the paint is a specially baked, polymer type, so not far off from a combo including polyurethane. So it is almost a solidified resin/plastic paint. Once baked, it is solid and non-reactive. It will never flake or chip unless taking a hammer to it. Similar process to BBS wheels for example, where no refurbish will ever beat the polymer factory paint. No store industrial spray can will emulate this OEM quality and effect. Once the budget allows, upgrading the front calipers/rotors is one of the best investments in the car's fun factor and safety.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #19
lonecitizenfour
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i XDrive

Garage List
I'm planning to paint M-Sport Calipers soon... if I cover up the bold threads and pistons; would I be okay?

I also found some metallic and greasy substance around/in the pistons. Is it some sort of Antiseize compound?

Er... and can I just use brake cleaner inside/outside caliper without taking out the pistons? I'm not sure if something could get lodged in and scrape/damage the piston and piston wall.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 11:20 PM   #20
d_a_m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_Figueroa View Post
Quote:
I just did my brakes calipers and rotors over the last two days. Deffinently harder than American made cars but time to disassemble and reinstall was roughly 5-6 hours and prep and painting was about 8-10 hours. My front brakes were difficult but the tears were 3x as hard to get off. The only real trouble I had was in the tears because I was using a vacuum bleeder for the fronts and it was fine. However the vacuum bleeder wasn't high enough pressure to bleed the tears so I had to the old fashioned way with a helper. But really the biggest challenge is getting them off the car because mine were decently rusted and the rear carpet bolts were never removed before so it still had thread lock on it. Personally I wouldn't powder coat. It's expensive and to hyped up and not as durable as people say. I did everything with vht caliper paint and high heat primer spray cans. I used metal brush wheels to get as much rush and debris off and then sprayed everything down with brake cleaner, then 3 coats primer, 2-3 coats paint, 2 coats clear. Just follow direction on cans for wait times. The only important thing is down strip and bleeder or brake fluid lines and when painting, use a grocery or trash bag and tape to cover piston and seals so they don't get paint on them and tape off the bleeder but a ear plug or paper towel in the hole where the brake line connects, and tape off the rubber boots for the pins. Here's some pics and before and afters. If you don't have ISTA you can give me your last 7 of your vin and I'll provide you with the torque specs for reassembly.
Re-bumping an old post: what did you use to paint the rotors?
      08-21-2019, 09:12 PM   #21
Alpine-F80
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I had the gray 4-piston Brembos up front so tried to get the M Sport look with Blue Metalcast and High Temp clearcoat over some cheap ///M decals.

[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/chxfNb6/A09-D9714-4...BD48-C5-ED.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/JyqhRKf/77-B599-D0-...-A8-D01076.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/zFGMWS3/F477-D809-4...371783-D77.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 06:52 AM   #22
nmccord30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i 07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine_F30 View Post
I had the gray 4-piston Brembos up front so tried to get the M Sport look with Blue Metalcast and High Temp clearcoat over some cheap ///M decals.

[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/chxfNb6/A09-D9714-4...BD48-C5-ED.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/JyqhRKf/77-B599-D0-...-A8-D01076.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/zFGMWS3/F477-D809-4...371783-D77.jpg[/IMG]
What color code?
Appreciate 0