F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Siri not working after iOS13.1.2
Extreme Powerhouse

10-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #1
JuiceDude
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Car

Siri not working after iOS13.1.2

Hi all,

I have an F36 430D 2017 and before iOS13 I was able to press and hold the dialogue button on the steering wheel and ask Siri questions. Now when I ask questions I get a message back from Siri saying "there is a problem with the connection". It just doesn't want to work over the BMW iDrive via bluetooth

I thought this might be Siri playing up with my mobile network, but when the car is off and I use the normal Hey Siri command it all works. All questions etc... are answered. It is not working when connected to the iDrive.

Any ideas? Does iDrive need a new software update for iOS13 features?

Thanks
JD
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #2
Details_Matter
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 340iX M-Sport

I have confirmed that iOS 13.1.2 has disabled some features. I am still investigating, but it has disabled third-party cables, even those with MFi certification. None of my Anker cables work, only the Apple cables. You did not say if you were connecting via Bluetooth or cable, but if you are using a cable, make sure it is an Apple cable. This could be a bug, so we will have to wait and see if Apple releases a fix. However, I am lead to believe they purposely disabled third-party devices to protect the quality image of their product. The problem is that they disabled Apple-approved, third-party cables. This is also true of some wireless chargers. They no longer charge at full output. Either way, they are having connectivity issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #3
JuiceDude
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Details_Matter View Post
I have confirmed that iOS 13.1.2 has disabled some features. I am still investigating, but it has disabled third-party cables, even those with MFi certification. None of my Anker cables work, only the Apple cables. You did not say if you were connecting via Bluetooth or cable, but if you are using a cable, make sure it is an Apple cable. This could be a bug, so we will have to wait and see if Apple releases a fix. However, I am lead to believe they purposely disabled third-party devices to protect the quality image of their product. The problem is that they disabled Apple-approved, third-party cables. This is also true of some wireless chargers. They no longer charge at full output. Either way, they are having connectivity issues.
Quote:
Hello, I am using my iPhone XS Max over Bluetooth. It's was all working fine with iOS 12. Hopefully the next release of iOS will fix these problems.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 02:35 PM   #4
Insane435
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435ix M Sport EWG

I am using an Anker cable and my phone connects.

My issue is that i cannot select songs on my playlist. I can only press forward and back.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 03:28 PM   #5
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Works fine for me using both standard idrive, and my CarPlay MMI box.

10-11-2019, 02:56 AM   #6
JuiceDude
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
As a workaround, if you use the "Hey Siri" command it will connect to the iDrive and work. Make sure the radio is low volume. I still prefer activating Siri from the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 05:48 AM   #7
JuiceDude
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hello,

I have been told by BMW to contacted the following dept about this Siri issue

bmwconnecteddrive@bmwfin.com

Last edited by JuiceDude; 10-18-2019 at 05:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 08:17 AM   #8
JuiceDude
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi,

iOS 13.2 is out and it has fixed the Siri issue
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 09:00 AM   #9
Details_Matter
Registered
Rep

Not Completely Fixed

I downloaded 13.2 yesterday. While is should not matter, I also removed and reconnected my phone through Bluetooth. BMW service recommended this. Connected Drive did connect much quicker today. Immediately, I was able to access:
- Calendar
- Contacts
- Amazon Music
- Spotify (with exceptions)

The Home directory of Spotify still requires me to access Home, Exit, then renter the Home menu before it populates with options.

Next question....
Since I find the BMW navigation to be better than the apps on my phone, are there other advantages to the CarPlay retrofit? If Connected Drive works, I am having difficulty justifying a $650 expense for the CarPlay retrofit.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #10
Shawzy44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40iX

Does anyone know how to program the handsfree button to Siri and not the BMW connect? When I am using carplay the only way I can summon Siri is with the 'hey Siri' command. Is this the new experience in IOS 13.2???

2023 BMW X3 M40i
2019 BMW X5 40iX
2019 BMW 440iX M Performance Cabriolet
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 12:01 PM   #11
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Next question....
Since I find the BMW navigation to be better than the apps on my phone, are there other advantages to the CarPlay retrofit? If Connected Drive works, I am having difficulty justifying a $650 expense for the CarPlay retrofit.

Thanks,
You answered your own question based on what is best for your needs.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #12
Details_Matter
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawzy44 View Post
Does anyone know how to program the handsfree button to Siri and not the BMW connect? When I am using carplay the only way I can summon Siri is with the 'hey Siri' command. Is this the new experience in IOS 13.2???
Try long-pressing the voice command button. In my 2016, short-press summons the BMW Connected Drive commands. Long-Press summons Siri on my USB connected phone.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 08:41 PM   #13
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Be sure to "allow SIRI when locked" enabled in your SIRI setting
Appreciate 0