F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Any Other High-Mileage 328d's Out There?
Extreme Powerhouse
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #243
AlpineX
Captain
162
Rep
602
Posts

Drives: Diesel
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NW

iTrader: (0)

Consider mechatronics seals at service over 100k, clear sunroof drains
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 10:35 PM   #244
Grammarking
New Member
8
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: BMW 328d
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

So close to 200,000
Car shut off after hearing of very loud clunk😨
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #245
n00bkiller944
Second Lieutenant
56
Rep
219
Posts

Drives: '14 328d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammarking View Post
So close to 200,000
Car shut off after hearing of very loud clunk😨
Uh oh, keep is in the loop!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 10:54 AM   #246
OneLapper
New Member
3
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: 2014 F31dx
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

I have a 150k on my 2014 F31dx. The front driveshaft just lost a u-joint. I was fortunate that I happened to catch it before it disabled the car, no real noise, I just noticed rust on one part of the driveshaft flange.

The OEM shaft is not rebuildable. BMW doesn't have them in stock and it's $1107. There is company in Texas that sell new shafts with replaceable u-joints for $325 plus shipping.

While under the car I replaced the particulate matter sensor. I found the car side of the wiring harness / plug had a rusted out terminal, inside the plug. After days of parts searching, the replacement plug consists of these parts:
12527549033 terminal socket, MLK 4 position
12521732591 weather plug
12527502932 terminal

I will update the quantities and part numbers when I finish the repairs.

And, I think I need to replace the transfer case again, with 60k on this one. I will also replace the guibo to the updated version. I hope the symptoms I have been experiencing were caused by the front drive shaft, but that's wishful thinking.
Appreciate 1
FaRKle!1012.00

      08-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #247
n00bkiller944
Second Lieutenant
56
Rep
219
Posts

Drives: '14 328d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammarking View Post
So close to 200,000
Car shut off after hearing of very loud clunk😨
What turned out to be the issue?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 12:35 PM   #248
Diesel328D
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 14' BMW 328D
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pleasanton

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW 328D  [0.00]
2014 BMW 328D  [0.00]
I am wondering the same thing if I should keep my car or not. I have '14 328D with almost 124K miles on it. I bought my car when it had about 12K miles on it. Most of the issues I had with my car were covered under warranty however now she is out of warranty and I am a bit afraid if I should keep her or not. I do love my car and I do not want another car payment. My car is almost paid off. I just recently had my car in the shop (well 5 days ago) and the recall part was changed along with the coolant hose that had a crack in it.

I do not push my car like most BMW drivers that commute with me, I barely do maybe 70 to 75 mph. However, I feel like the commute my be taking a huge toll on my car. If you guys think I should keep it, can anyone recommend a good mechanic? I do not want to keep taking my car back to the dealership since it is pretty costly. I am looking for a certified BMW mechanic whose prices are decent.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 02:10 PM   #249
FaRKle!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1012
Rep
1,530
Posts

Drives: '17 328d Sport Wagon
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel328D View Post
If you guys think I should keep it, can anyone recommend a good mechanic? I do not want to keep taking my car back to the dealership since it is pretty costly. I am looking for a certified BMW mechanic whose prices are decent.
Are you in Pleasanton, CA?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #250
Enabled
Lieutenant
195
Rep
586
Posts

Drives: 328xd Wagon
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

I think you should keep it. There are a dozen or more very dedicated individuals here that collectively hold enough knowledge to resolve anything on these cars, and share that info readily.

They're not unreliable cars at all, but they do need some maintenance, and some hazard prevention (ie. Fuel quality, etc).
__________________
-2014 328d Wagon 2WD, 8HP flash, self-tuned, 250hp/420ft-lbs.
Others
-E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg Modded. S52 Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 05:22 PM   #251
Diesel328D
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 14' BMW 328D
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pleasanton

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW 328D  [0.00]
2014 BMW 328D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Are you in Pleasanton, CA?
Yes I am!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #252
Diesel328D
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 14' BMW 328D
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pleasanton

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW 328D  [0.00]
2014 BMW 328D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
I think you should keep it. There are a dozen or more very dedicated individuals here that collectively hold enough knowledge to resolve anything on these cars, and share that info readily.

They're not unreliable cars at all, but they do need some maintenance, and some hazard prevention (ie. Fuel quality, etc).

Thanks! I think she is an awesome car! My first BMW and first diesel. Love this car but just worried about the future years to come.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 06:46 PM   #253
AlpineX
Captain
162
Rep
602
Posts

Drives: Diesel
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel328D View Post
Thanks! I think she is an awesome car! My first BMW and first diesel. Love this car but just worried about the future years to come.
Good timing to upgrade to LCI and search til you find exactly what you want.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 07:12 PM   #254
FaRKle!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1012
Rep
1,530
Posts

Drives: '17 328d Sport Wagon
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel328D View Post
Yes I am!
Hello neighbor!

I like VT motorworks right by the intersection of Stanley and Bernal. Matt and Wing are good guys. While no labor is cheap in the Bay, they're a bit less than other places (~$175/hr IIRC). The other shop that does a fantastic job and has good troubleshooting skills (not just part swapping monkeys) is Edge Motorworks in Fremont. They really do their due diligence in my experience.

Last edited by FaRKle!; 09-19-2019 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 07:19 PM   #255
Diesel328D
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 14' BMW 328D
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pleasanton

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW 328D  [0.00]
2014 BMW 328D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Hello neighbor!

I like VT motorworks right by the intersection of Stanley and Bernal. Matt and Wing are good guys. While no labor is cheap in the Bay, they're a bit less than other places (~$175/hr). The other shop that does a fantastic job and has good troubleshooting skills (not just part swapping monkeys) is Edge Motorworks in Fremont. They really do their due diligence in my experience.
Thank you so much!!!! You are awesome!!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 08:01 PM   #256
FaRKle!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1012
Rep
1,530
Posts

Drives: '17 328d Sport Wagon
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel328D View Post
Thank you so much!!!! You are awesome!!
If you're a tinkerer/DIYer you're welcome to hit me up sometime to help take a look at something or plug in ISTA to read codes/diagnose.

I assume at 124k you've already done things like replace the control arms/bushings, coolant tank bleed line, and other high mileage common failures, right?

BTW did you know Pleasanton Garbage Service will give you milk jugs and heavy duty plastic bags (for the filter) for when you do your own oil changes, and then will pick them up with your regular garbage pickup? I've been taking advantage of that.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 09:39 PM   #257
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
CleanKM's Avatar
United_States
88
Rep
293
Posts

Drives: 2014 328d
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Washington, DC Metro Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammarking View Post
So close to 200,000
Car shut off after hearing of very loud clunk😨
Any update?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 02:44 AM   #258
328dX
David
328dX's Avatar
United_States
352
Rep
1,036
Posts

Drives: 2015 328dX wagon
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Temecula, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammarking View Post
So close to 200,000
Car shut off after hearing of very loud clunk😨
I am also looking for an update.



I just hit 70k a few days ago, purchased with 45k 10 months ago
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #259
Diesel328D
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 14' BMW 328D
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pleasanton

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW 328D  [0.00]
2014 BMW 328D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
If you're a tinkerer/DIYer you're welcome to hit me up sometime to help take a look at something or plug in ISTA to read codes/diagnose.

I assume at 124k you've already done things like replace the control arms/bushings, coolant tank bleed line, and other high mileage common failures, right?

BTW did you know Pleasanton Garbage Service will give you milk jugs and heavy duty plastic bags (for the filter) for when you do your own oil changes, and then will pick them up with your regular garbage pickup? I've been taking advantage of that.
I wish I was! I would love to learn more about my 328D. I know more about my chevy then I do about this car. Sadly I don't have much time to learn or work on my cars. I work 2 jobs, raising my son, helping my lil brother and mom after my dad passed away leaves me no time to even wash my 328D at times.

So any tips would be great!!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 09:38 PM   #260
stylinexpat
Major
stylinexpat's Avatar
282
Rep
1,334
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2008

iTrader: (0)

I got around 29K on my 2018 328D now and it has been great so far (knock on wood). Very reliable and economical so far. On highway 40+ MPG is achieved easily and between city and highway one can average 35MPG.

Don't these things run for like 1 million KM in Germany. The old Turbo Mercedes Benz engines are still running on the roads today and many have 500K Miles to over 1 million miles on them now.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 09:32 AM   #261
swissarmyknife
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 328xd Wagon
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: CA, USA

iTrader: (0)

We just bought a 2014 328xd Wagon which already had 100k miles on it. It's going to be my primary commuter car for as long as it will be maintainable, which I hope will be for at least another 200k+ miles.

With the high miles it took a bit of pressing the dealer, but ended up getting a 2 year 24k mile drive-train warranty which I might cancel once I have confidence I understand the noted transfer case failures a bit better.
__________________
2014 328xd Sport Wagon, all stock, 45MPG
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, EGR delete, 43MPG
2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel, tuned, 24MPG
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 09:35 AM   #262
swissarmyknife
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 328xd Wagon
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: CA, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel328D View Post
I am wondering the same thing if I should keep my car or not. I have '14 328D with almost 124K miles on it. I bought my car when it had about 12K miles on it. Most of the issues I had with my car were covered under warranty however now she is out of warranty and I am a bit afraid if I should keep her or not. I do love my car and I do not want another car payment. My car is almost paid off. I just recently had my car in the shop (well 5 days ago) and the recall part was changed along with the coolant hose that had a crack in it.

I do not push my car like most BMW drivers that commute with me, I barely do maybe 70 to 75 mph. However, I feel like the commute my be taking a huge toll on my car. If you guys think I should keep it, can anyone recommend a good mechanic? I do not want to keep taking my car back to the dealership since it is pretty costly. I am looking for a certified BMW mechanic whose prices are decent.
I think you should keep it too. Keeping a car up on maintenance or have an occasional large item repair is still way cheaper than buying a new used car and that doesn't mean they don't come with their own problems.

Sorry, I am way down in the bay area and we have an excellent shop in Morgan Hill that has a BMW certified mechanic, but that would be a bit of a drive for you. I am sure there are good shops in your area up there.
__________________
2014 328xd Sport Wagon, all stock, 45MPG
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, EGR delete, 43MPG
2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel, tuned, 24MPG
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 06:15 PM   #263
Tim07e90
Captain
Tim07e90's Avatar
United_States
110
Rep
843
Posts

Drives: 2007 E90 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [4.25]
Just had my transfer case fail and it is currently at the dealer for a new one. I bought the car last year and have owned it for approx 13 months at 50k miles. I've put on 18k miles in a year as it's my commuter car. I have 18" staggered APEX SM-10 wheels with 245/40/18 tires all-around and within 0.8% ratio compared to previous tires. I also drive around with a cargo carrier daily. Driving style is VERY conservative and never ever had signs/ symptoms of a troublesome transfer case or transmission. I'm very close to ridding this car once I get it back and trade it in for a newer Subaru Crosstrek. I'm not as loyal as I used to be to the brand anymore. I have a garage queen 2010 E60 M5 and the wife drives an E71 X6. Idk, I may change my mind once I sit in the front seat again (lol) but this car has been in a lot the past 3 months for EGR, EGR reprogram and now, transfer case issues. The only silver lining is that I was able to have my SA talk the dealership down from a $4800 fix to about a $4000 fix. I've seen quotes here that have been worse.
__________________
Performance Mods: ST Coilovers | R1 Concepts Premier Rotors w/Hawk HPS Pads | ECS Stainless Steel Brake Lines | OEM 219M Wheels | Bridgestone Potenza RE760 | Precision Euro Spacers | AA Race Headers | AFE Race Midpipes | Remus Powersound Quad Exhaust | AA Offroad Tune | RevMotoring Intake Pipe | Cyba Scoops
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST