F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Apple CarPlay Retrofit - Done! (Update:16/11/18...now also with full screen function)
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #1
R99
Colonel
United Kingdom
909
Rep
2,810
Posts

Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring
Join Date: May 2013
Location: England, United Kingdom

iTrader: (1)

Apple CarPlay Retrofit - Done! (Update:16/11/18...now also with full screen function)

My car has a decent spec, but having not ordered it myself (I bought an ex-demo) one thing it didnt have was CarPlay.

Originally my car came with Professional Media Plus however CarPlay was not available to purchase via ConnectedDrive store.

I got wibbles to work his magic and he has now enabled CarPlay for me. He also on separate occasions enabled iDrive 6, EBT and Android screen mirroring for me too - plus dabbled in the physical retrofitting of my M3 mirrors.

The get the CarPlay working Craig sourced me a new set of FSC codes, so the added benefit is that CarPlay is a lifetime feature, rather than a time limited option as it is on the ConnectedDrive store!

__________________
2016 F31 330d M Sport Touring
Individual Pure Blue | M5 6 pots with M2 Comp 400mm discs | M3 Mirrors | MP Kidney Grilles | ID6 | Custom Steering Wheel | OEM 437m

Last edited by R99; 11-16-2018 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
Mancster
Private First Class
50
Rep
169
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Manchester

iTrader: (0)

Really close to doing this myself but just can't work out whether it's worth the cash or not. If I was to go for it, it'd purely be down to the nerd inside me to appreciate the Apple aesthetics and not for any greater functionality than I already have
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #3
R99
Colonel
United Kingdom
909
Rep
2,810
Posts

Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring
Join Date: May 2013
Location: England, United Kingdom

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancster View Post
Really close to doing this myself but just can't work out whether it's worth the cash or not. If I was to go for it, it'd purely be down to the nerd inside me to appreciate the Apple aesthetics and not for any greater functionality than I already have
Yeh, the Apple menu (as ever) does look nice and slick on the screen!

The added benefit of having the CarPlay is things like emails and texts being really simple to respond to with the siri integration - I do find that handy!

Another good thing for me is that the spotify integration is better using CarPlay in terms of ease of menu navigation & searching.

Worth the outlay I think, but I do also agree that the NBT EVO with ID5/6 is a great and intuitive menu system in itself.
__________________
2016 F31 330d M Sport Touring
Individual Pure Blue | M5 6 pots with M2 Comp 400mm discs | M3 Mirrors | MP Kidney Grilles | ID6 | Custom Steering Wheel | OEM 437m
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 09:55 AM   #4
Martan
Private First Class
35
Rep
170
Posts

Drives: F30 335d
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: North East

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R99 View Post
My car has a decent spec, but having not ordered it myself (I bought an ex-demo) one thing it didnt have was CarPlay.

Originally my car came with Professional Media Plus however CarPlay was not available to purchase via ConnectedDrive store.

I got wibbles to work his magic and he has now enabled CarPlay for me. He also on separate occasions enabled EBT and Android screen mirroring for me too - plus dabbled in the physical retrofitting of my M3 mirrors.

The get the CarPlay working Craig sourced me a new set of FSC codes, so the added benefit is that CarPlay is a lifetime feature, rather than a time limited option as it is on the ConnectedDrive store!


I was looking to do this on mine (Carplay was free on the VW), but I just have the pro media, can this be done? I've bought a VGate OBD tool and the Bimmercode App to have a go at coding some easy stuff.
What are FSC codes and how'd you go about getting them?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #5
R99
Colonel
United Kingdom
909
Rep
2,810
Posts

Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring
Join Date: May 2013
Location: England, United Kingdom

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martan View Post
I was looking to do this on mine (Carplay was free on the VW), but I just have the pro media, can this be done? I've bought a VGate OBD tool and the Bimmercode App to have a go at coding some easy stuff.
What are FSC codes and how'd you go about getting them?

Cheers
Yeh, when I bought this car I hired a Vauxhall Adam to drive from the North East to Swindon to collect it and that had CarPlay as standard. Typical pricing behaviour from BMW sadly!

As for the FSC codes, they are injected into the car via USB stick under the arm rest and they enable the CarPlay, they are VIN specific. No coding should be required. The Bimmercode app wont be able to help you here sadly.

I should have also mentioned that if the car doesnt have EBT from factory (option 6NW) then you most likely will not have the wifi antenna and would need to install that to the back of the HU - mine didnt! I will post the BMW part number for anyone who needs it.

CarPlay will only work on NBT EVO units (either ID5 or ID6)
__________________
2016 F31 330d M Sport Touring
Individual Pure Blue | M5 6 pots with M2 Comp 400mm discs | M3 Mirrors | MP Kidney Grilles | ID6 | Custom Steering Wheel | OEM 437m
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 10:44 AM   #6
Martan
Private First Class
35
Rep
170
Posts

Drives: F30 335d
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: North East

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R99 View Post
Yeh, when I bought this car I hired a Vauxhall Adam to drive from the North East to Swindon to collect it and that had CarPlay as standard. Typical pricing behaviour from BMW sadly!

As for the FSC codes, they are injected into the car via USB stick under the arm rest and they enable the CarPlay, they are VIN specific. No coding should be required. The Bimmercode app wont be able to help you here sadly.

I should have also mentioned that if the car doesnt have EBT from factory (option 6NW) then you most likely will not have the wifi antenna and would need to install that to the back of the HU - mine didnt! I will post the BMW part number for anyone who needs it.

CarPlay will only work on NBT EVO units (either ID5 or ID6)
So I can't get the Carplay full stop? or I need the wifi antenna first and then I can go about getting it?

How do I know what unit it is? stock car was bought Dec
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 10:52 AM   #7
R99
Colonel
United Kingdom
909
Rep
2,810
Posts

Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring
Join Date: May 2013
Location: England, United Kingdom

iTrader: (1)

Does your car have enhanced Bluetooth?

If so, the antenna should be there, which is helpful.

If your car was bought in December, it will have ID5 or 6.

ID6 looks like this (picture taken of mine after ID5 was coded to ID6):

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #8
Martan
Private First Class
35
Rep
170
Posts

Drives: F30 335d
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: North East

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R99 View Post
Does your car have enhanced Bluetooth?

If so, the antenna should be there, which is helpful.

If your car was bought in December, it will have ID5 or 6.

ID6 looks like this (picture taken of mine after ID5 was coded to ID6):

No EBT

It's got those tiles, so I must be half way there?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 11:30 AM   #9
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
73henny's Avatar
Scotland
446
Rep
1,509
Posts

Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martan View Post
So I can't get the Carplay full stop? or I need the wifi antenna first and then I can go about getting it?

How do I know what unit it is? stock car was bought Dec
Is it an upgrade option on your connected drive page?
__________________
G20 320dx. Every option except a tow bar
F48 X1 20dx.

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #10
R99
Colonel
United Kingdom
909
Rep
2,810
Posts

Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring
Join Date: May 2013
Location: England, United Kingdom

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martan View Post
No EBT

It's got those tiles, so I must be half way there?
Yep all you need is the FSC codes & the antenna!

Easy!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 12:30 PM   #11
Junebug85
Major
Junebug85's Avatar
United Kingdom
562
Rep
1,121
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R99 View Post
Yep all you need is the FSC codes & the antenna!

Easy!
Sorry to jump in on this guys...

I'm interested in getting this done. Like you I have a decent spec car but no EBT and no Apple Car Play available to me in the store.

I think I've got iDrive 5 (it's like the picture (Nov 2016 Built)).

Name:  IDRIVE5.JPG
Views: 54717
Size:  36.6 KB

Does the iDrive need to be touch screen for Apple Car Play to work or can you just use the iDrive Controller?

I would therefore need:

EBT Coding
FSC Codes
Antenna
Possible upgrade to iDrive 6
Anything else?

Thinking if that would be too costly or not.

Cheers
__________________
2016 - F06 640d M Sport Plus / Space Grey / Black
2011 - E90 320d SE Exclusive / Space Grey / Black
Gone: 2016 - F30 335d / 2012 - F10 520d / 2010 - E90 318d / 2009 - E90 318i
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #12
Martan
Private First Class
35
Rep
170
Posts

Drives: F30 335d
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: North East

iTrader: (0)

ConnectedDrive portal says Carplay unavailable for my car. So I'm fecked then?

And am I stuck to basic coding with the bimmercode App as well? And have I forked out for that and the OBD tool for nothing?

Is this Wibbles in The NE?
Sorry for all the questions, but I was kinda hoping that the pro media would allow me to just code in carplay.....got used to it in the VW, just dictating texts, playing music etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #13
R99
Colonel
United Kingdom
909
Rep
2,810
Posts

Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring
Join Date: May 2013
Location: England, United Kingdom

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug85 View Post
Sorry to jump in on this guys...

I'm interested in getting this done. Like you I have a decent spec car but no EBT and no Apple Car Play available to me in the store.

I think I've got iDrive 5 (it's like the picture (Nov 2016 Built)).

Attachment 1752460

Does the iDrive need to be touch screen for Apple Car Play to work or can you just use the iDrive Controller?

I would therefore need:

EBT Coding
FSC Codes
Antenna
Possible upgrade to iDrive 6
Anything else?

Thinking if that would be too costly or not.

Cheers
You are in the same position I was before the work!

EBT is not required for CarPlay, nor is ID6 - however IMO, both are worth doing! Touch screen is not needed either.

You have NBT EVO with ID5, therefore what you need for CarPlay is a wifi antenna and the FSC codes.
__________________
2016 F31 330d M Sport Touring
Individual Pure Blue | M5 6 pots with M2 Comp 400mm discs | M3 Mirrors | MP Kidney Grilles | ID6 | Custom Steering Wheel | OEM 437m
Appreciate 2
Junebug85562.00
Derrymilk178.00

      01-16-2018, 12:49 PM   #14
Junebug85
Major
Junebug85's Avatar
United Kingdom
562
Rep
1,121
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martan View Post
ConnectedDrive portal says Carplay unavailable for my car. So I'm fecked then?

And am I stuck to basic coding with the bimmercode App as well? And have I forked out for that and the OBD tool for nothing?

Is this Wibbles in The NE?
Sorry for all the questions, but I was kinda hoping that the pro media would allow me to just code in carplay.....got used to it in the VW, just dictating texts, playing music etc.
You should be able to get it to work... R99 didn't have it in his store either but with the Antenna and the use of FSC codes he now has it working...
__________________
2016 - F06 640d M Sport Plus / Space Grey / Black
2011 - E90 320d SE Exclusive / Space Grey / Black
Gone: 2016 - F30 335d / 2012 - F10 520d / 2010 - E90 318d / 2009 - E90 318i
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #15
R99
Colonel
United Kingdom
909
Rep
2,810
Posts

Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring
Join Date: May 2013
Location: England, United Kingdom

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martan View Post
ConnectedDrive portal says Carplay unavailable for my car. So I'm fecked then?
No, mine didnt give that option either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martan View Post
And am I stuck to basic coding with the bimmercode App as well? And have I forked out for that and the OBD tool for nothing?
No idea on that one I am afraid - Craig does my coding and I just have a very limited understanding of it all, mainly from watching him work on my own car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martan View Post
Is this Wibbles in The NE?
Sorry for all the questions, but I was kinda hoping that the pro media would allow me to just code in carplay.....got used to it in the VW, just dictating texts, playing music etc.
Yes, he is the the NE (Newcastle) I am lucky that he is on my doorstep, but I think he has done CarPlay remotely before - so it may be possible?
__________________
2016 F31 330d M Sport Touring
Individual Pure Blue | M5 6 pots with M2 Comp 400mm discs | M3 Mirrors | MP Kidney Grilles | ID6 | Custom Steering Wheel | OEM 437m
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 12:55 PM   #16
Junebug85
Major
Junebug85's Avatar
United Kingdom
562
Rep
1,121
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R99 View Post
You are in the same position I was before the work!

EBT is not required for CarPlay, nor is ID6 - however IMO, both are worth doing! Touch screen is not needed either.

You have NBT EVO with ID5, therefore what you need for CarPlay is a wifi antenna and the FSC codes.
This is soooo tempting! I may contact WIBBLES and find out costs and whats involved etc. Or find someone closer to Leicester.

Thanks for confirming this and the advice.
__________________
2016 - F06 640d M Sport Plus / Space Grey / Black
2011 - E90 320d SE Exclusive / Space Grey / Black
Gone: 2016 - F30 335d / 2012 - F10 520d / 2010 - E90 318d / 2009 - E90 318i
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 01:03 PM   #17
R99
Colonel
United Kingdom
909
Rep
2,810
Posts

Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring
Join Date: May 2013
Location: England, United Kingdom

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug85 View Post
This is soooo tempting! I may contact WIBBLES and find out costs and whats involved etc. Or find someone closer to Leicester.

Thanks for confirming this and the advice.
No problem, for those who want it - the part number for the antenna is: 61119372321

Best price for them is from Harry Fairbairns - they do a good discount!
__________________
2016 F31 330d M Sport Touring
Individual Pure Blue | M5 6 pots with M2 Comp 400mm discs | M3 Mirrors | MP Kidney Grilles | ID6 | Custom Steering Wheel | OEM 437m
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #18
aquazi
Captain
260
Rep
831
Posts

Drives: 67 435d coupe
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Sutton coldfield

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug85 View Post
This is soooo tempting! I may contact WIBBLES and find out costs and whats involved etc. Or find someone closer to Leicester.

Thanks for confirming this and the advice.
If you find someone in leic iíd be interested too!!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #19
Mancster
Private First Class
50
Rep
169
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Manchester

iTrader: (0)

Just out of interest, where have people been mounting the WiFi antenna? It looks to come with a. Fairly decent length of cable so would probably stretch to the glovebox area etc? Donít suppose it matters too much?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #20
Martan
Private First Class
35
Rep
170
Posts

Drives: F30 335d
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: North East

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R99 View Post
No, mine didnt give that option either.



No idea on that one I am afraid - Craig does my coding and I just have a very limited understanding of it all, mainly from watching him work on my own car!



Yes, he is the the NE (Newcastle) I am lucky that he is on my doorstep, but I think he has done CarPlay remotely before - so it may be possible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by R99 View Post
No problem, for those who want it - the part number for the antenna is: 61119372321

Best price for them is from Harry Fairbairns - they do a good discount!
Cheers for all that, think I'll get this done after the car has been in and had the IDrive looked at.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 04:28 PM   #21
Derrymilk
Lieutenant
Derrymilk's Avatar
178
Rep
577
Posts

Drives: F36 420D M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: N Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R99 View Post
You are in the same position I was before the work!

EBT is not required for CarPlay, nor is ID6 - however IMO, both are worth doing! Touch screen is not needed either.

You have NBT EVO with ID5, therefore what you need for CarPlay is a wifi antenna and the FSC codes.
Sounds the same as mine, a Feb 17 f36 (pre LCI)

Would like to get the id6 and CarPlay
__________________
Current: F36 420 M-sport

Gone: F30 Tanzanite M-sport, E90 lci Bluewater M-sport, E90 Le mans M-sport, E46 lci 320d SE Topaz blue, E36 318d Compact Montreal blue, E36 318d Compact Titan silver
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 04:30 PM   #22
Derrymilk
Lieutenant
Derrymilk's Avatar
178
Rep
577
Posts

Drives: F36 420D M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: N Ireland

iTrader: (0)

I take it there is a cost involved to get the fsc codes?
__________________
Current: F36 420 M-sport

Gone: F30 Tanzanite M-sport, E90 lci Bluewater M-sport, E90 Le mans M-sport, E46 lci 320d SE Topaz blue, E36 318d Compact Montreal blue, E36 318d Compact Titan silver
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST