F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ***DIY: bootmod3 OBD Agent build with RPi 3 B
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-23-2018, 08:46 AM   #45
prodogs
Private
United_States
38
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: 435ix
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: charlotte

iTrader: (0)

Latest should always be on this page



https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/wiki/...irmware+Update


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondavouz View Post
*UPDATE* Ok, the instructions included a link to a never version, the one in post 1 for firmware is outdated and should be:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/blw8yew4us...12.img.gz?dl=0


Does someone have working link to the image to put on the SD card?

thanks
__________________
2014 435ix Coupe
2010 X5 M Sport - sold
Appreciate 2
BunkerJ1005.50

      04-23-2018, 09:07 AM   #46
JaredG_F30
Major
JaredG_F30's Avatar
866
Rep
1,388
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Ok, Iupdated the OP and removed the old agent firmware link
__________________

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V801s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, 381 whp, 429 wtq (waiting for install: GFB DV+) Next: Ohlins R&T, M Performance LSD, M Performance Brake Kit
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2018, 06:57 PM   #47
iFreeStylin
Private
United_States
14
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: 2014 328i xdrive
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Connecticut, USA

iTrader: (0)

There seems to be a new update out but it's not showing at this link.

https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/wiki/...irmware+Update

Am trying to update the agent through the APP but the phone internet is too slow and it would take a long time. Any other options?

**update** used my iPhone and it updated fine.

Last edited by iFreeStylin; 04-23-2018 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 09:41 PM   #48
BunkerJ
Colonel
BunkerJ's Avatar
1006
Rep
2,382
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFreeStylin View Post
There seems to be a new update out but it's not showing at this link.

https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/wiki/...irmware+Update

Am trying to update the agent through the APP but the phone internet is too slow and it would take a long time. Any other options?

**update** used my iPhone and it updated fine.
Yeah. You may or may not get a prompt to update your agent. If there ever is an update or just randomly you seem to be getting errors using the agent, force an update via the app and see if it fixes. I had that the other day and it ended up being I needed to force the update.
__________________

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 12:57 PM   #49
chuckyda
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i RWD
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Phoenix, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the write up! I'll note I had to set my hotspot to 2.4ghz for it to work, default on my phone was 5ghz.

Does anyone know if this is okay to leave plugged in all the time? Will it stay on and kill battery?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 05:46 PM   #50
BunkerJ
Colonel
BunkerJ's Avatar
1006
Rep
2,382
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckyda View Post
Thanks for the write up! I'll note I had to set my hotspot to 2.4ghz for it to work, default on my phone was 5ghz.

Does anyone know if this is okay to leave plugged in all the time? Will it stay on and kill battery?
It's okay to leave it on. Uses little power already and car shuts power to it after 5-10 min of leaving the car. I've had mine plugged in consistently for about 2 months on a two year old battery.
__________________

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 03:55 PM   #51
prodogs
Private
United_States
38
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: 435ix
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: charlotte

iTrader: (0)

Success - Easy Peasy - Thank you OP.
__________________
2014 435ix Coupe
2010 X5 M Sport - sold
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2018, 12:03 PM   #52
jebs2k
Private First Class
Canada
23
Rep
189
Posts

Drives: 2016 435
Join Date: May 2016
Location: vancouver

iTrader: (2)

is there an update that now works with 3+?

tks
__________________
2012 328
2012 335
2016 435
2019 440 GC
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 02:02 PM   #53
BunkerJ
Colonel
BunkerJ's Avatar
1006
Rep
2,382
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs2k View Post
is there an update that now works with 3+?

tks
Doubtful. Any reason you want to use a 3+? No added benefits IMO for this application.
__________________

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 05:37 AM   #54
cookiesowns
;)
cookiesowns's Avatar
Taiwan
413
Rep
743
Posts

Drives: M2C 6MT, 535i N54, X3 N55
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs2k View Post
is there an update that now works with 3+?

tks
If someone wants to donate me a PI3B+ I can whip up a firmware with the agent fairly quickly..

Iíll probablt also under volt and re do the power governor to reduce heat and also powe consumption too.

Another idea I had was to get an Intel based RPI3 formfactor device and build something to have ISTA and ESYS onboard and VNC to my phone/iPad in order to do coding and diagnostics
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 09:54 AM   #55
JaredG_F30
Major
JaredG_F30's Avatar
866
Rep
1,388
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

I have a RPi 3 B+ I can donate to you if I can get it back

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
If someone wants to donate me a PI3B+ I can whip up a firmware with the agent fairly quickly..

Iíll probablt also under volt and re do the power governor to reduce heat and also powe consumption too.

Another idea I had was to get an Intel based RPI3 formfactor device and build something to have ISTA and ESYS onboard and VNC to my phone/iPad in order to do coding and diagnostics
__________________

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V801s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, 381 whp, 429 wtq (waiting for install: GFB DV+) Next: Ohlins R&T, M Performance LSD, M Performance Brake Kit
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #56
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
Anthony235's Avatar
United_States
683
Rep
1,546
Posts

Drives: m235i
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: OC, Ca

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Question: how does the OBD hardware device work with the phone after you have already done the initial setup...

So to use the live gauges, data log, and switch maps using my iPhone I need to have the hardware agent constantly connected via the hotspot every time I use those features? No USB or Bluetooth option to connect to the hardware agent?

Last edited by Anthony235; 05-08-2018 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 03:33 PM   #57
JaredG_F30
Major
JaredG_F30's Avatar
866
Rep
1,388
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Bluetooth is not robust enough for flashing, thus the connection over WiFi. You can connect your iPhone to the OBD agent device via USB (wired hotspot connection) but I don't see the benefit of that unless you need to charge your phone. I love that the OBD agent is wireless.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
Question: how does the OBD hardware device work with the phone after you have already done the initial setup...

So to use the live gauges, data log, and switch maps using my iPhone I need to have the hardware agent constantly connected via the hotspot every time I use those features? No USB or Bluetooth option to connect to the hardware agent?
__________________

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V801s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, 381 whp, 429 wtq (waiting for install: GFB DV+) Next: Ohlins R&T, M Performance LSD, M Performance Brake Kit
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #58
BunkerJ
Colonel
BunkerJ's Avatar
1006
Rep
2,382
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
Bluetooth is not robust enough for flashing, thus the connection over WiFi. You can connect your iPhone to the OBD agent device via USB (wired hotspot connection) but I don't see the benefit of that unless you need to charge your phone. I love that the OBD agent is wireless.
This^

Really, USB is there for more troubleshooting and for those who can tether via cable and not WiFi hotspot (Older phones/tablets). Bluetooth is *okay*, but it's more compatibility than anything. Different variants across a myriad of devices make that support pretty rough and not something they want to maintain at this time, possibly ever.
__________________

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2018, 04:35 PM   #59
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
Anthony235's Avatar
United_States
683
Rep
1,546
Posts

Drives: m235i
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: OC, Ca

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
Bluetooth is not robust enough for flashing, thus the connection over WiFi. You can connect your iPhone to the OBD agent device via USB (wired hotspot connection) but I don't see the benefit of that unless you need to charge your phone. I love that the OBD agent is wireless.
BT would not be for the flashing. Just to send/receive commands between the hardware agent and phone app. The hardware agent would still use it's OBDII cable for the flashing to the car since my understanding is that the maps are stored on the agent and not the phone. BT should have more than enough bandwidth to capture data for gauges and logs.

Do you leave your hotspot on 24/7 or just turn it on when you get in the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 04:41 PM   #60
BunkerJ
Colonel
BunkerJ's Avatar
1006
Rep
2,382
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
BT would not be for the flashing. Just to send/receive commands between the hardware agent and phone app. The hardware agent would still use it's OBDII cable for the flashing to the car since my understanding is that the maps are stored on the agent and not the phone. BT should have more than enough bandwidth to capture data for gauges and logs.

Do you leave your hotspot on 24/7 or just turn it on when you get in the car?
See above.

But also, maps are downloaded from the phone and transmitted, which would be unreliable in ensuring all map data was intact. Would see more online recodes lol. Biggest thing is just compatibility though.

I just turn mine on when I get in the car. Get in, start the car, unlock tablet, and press the hotspot key on the homepage. Then run BM3, etc.
__________________

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #61
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
Anthony235's Avatar
United_States
683
Rep
1,546
Posts

Drives: m235i
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: OC, Ca

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
See above.

But also, maps are downloaded from the phone and transmitted, which would be unreliable in ensuring all map data was intact. Would see more online recodes lol. Biggest thing is just compatibility though.

I just turn mine on when I get in the car. Get in, start the car, unlock tablet, and press the hotspot key on the homepage. Then run BM3, etc.
Still, the maps could require wifi. Other actions could easily be supported by BT.

Thanks for you answers! I should just switch to BM3 and be done with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #62
BunkerJ
Colonel
BunkerJ's Avatar
1006
Rep
2,382
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
Still, the maps could require wifi. Other actions could easily be supported by BT.

Thanks for you answers! I should just switch to BM3 and be done with it.
Yeah, I brought it up initially and the big thing was just compatibility and support. It might be something we see in the future whenever PTF is more at a maintenance state or has more employees. Dzenan is the only guy doing the tech over there.

And yes. Yes, you should.
__________________

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #63
JaredG_F30
Major
JaredG_F30's Avatar
866
Rep
1,388
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Yeah just get it. The OBD Agent Module makes it really really convenient. You literally just start the ignition, initiate the hotspot on your phone and wait for connection then launch boomod3 app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
Still, the maps could require wifi. Other actions could easily be supported by BT.

Thanks for you answers! I should just switch to BM3 and be done with it.
__________________

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V801s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, 381 whp, 429 wtq (waiting for install: GFB DV+) Next: Ohlins R&T, M Performance LSD, M Performance Brake Kit
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #64
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
Anthony235's Avatar
United_States
683
Rep
1,546
Posts

Drives: m235i
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: OC, Ca

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
Yeah just get it. The OBD Agent Module makes it really really convenient. You literally just start the ignition, initiate the hotspot on your phone and wait for connection then launch boomod3 app.
Yes, I'm going to order the stuff for the RPi this weekend I think.
Appreciate 1
BunkerJ1005.50

      05-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #65
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
Anthony235's Avatar
United_States
683
Rep
1,546
Posts

Drives: m235i
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: OC, Ca

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Just to share.

For those near a Microcenter (or don't mind shipping) this is a good option too. Comes with motherboard, SD card, and case at a good price point.

I'm going to go pick it up Saturday.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4..._B_Starter_Kit
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 09:26 PM   #66
tr4ck_m3
TheBuildJournal.com
tr4ck_m3's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
118
Posts

Drives: 2002 E46 M3 / 2013 F30 335i M
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (1)

thanks will be doing it this weekend!
__________________
BuildJournal - BMW DIY, Reviews, Tuning, Photoshoots, Technical Guides/Articles
Track: 2002 BMW TiAg/Black E46 ///M3 6MT
Daily: 2011 BMW Jerez /Black E92 ///M3 DCT + 2013 BMW Sapphire Black/Black F30 335i
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST