F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > 2017 328d Fuel System Replacement
European Auto Source (EAS)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-01-2019, 03:04 PM   #23
n00bkiller944
Second Lieutenant
56
Rep
219
Posts

Drives: '14 328d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jram328d View Post
I think we all roll the dice after our warranties end. I'm at 110k miles and am hopeful it doesn't bite me. Chances are it'll be the transfer case or fuel system that'll go!
This fuel system issue is absurd though. How does one insure they do not get bad diesel with just a little water in it that causes complete destruction of a weak high pressure fuel pump that destroys the entire system.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 05:39 PM   #24
Jram328d
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: BMW 328d xdrive
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jram328d View Post
I think we all roll the dice after our warranties end. I'm at 110k miles and am hopeful it doesn't bite me. Chances are it'll be the transfer case or fuel system that'll go!
This fuel system issue is absurd though. How does one insure they do not get bad diesel with just a little water in it that causes complete destruction of a weak high pressure fuel pump that destroys the entire system.
Has anyone else gotten the HPFP replacement quoted out at the dealer? I couldn't believe the price for the pump that I got quoted. Around $1500. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #25
n00bkiller944
Second Lieutenant
56
Rep
219
Posts

Drives: '14 328d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jram328d View Post
Has anyone else gotten the HPFP replacement quoted out at the dealer? I couldn't believe the price for the pump that I got quoted. Around $1500. Thanks
The high pressure fuel pump is cheap, relatively. It is also under extended warranty so it should be free replacement from your dealer if it failed. The issue is when it does fail they replace every single bit of your fuel system to get any metal contamination from your destroyed HPFP out since the system is a return style. That repair is to the tune of 10k or so....
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 04:03 PM   #26
328dX
David
328dX's Avatar
United_States
352
Rep
1,036
Posts

Drives: 2015 328dX wagon
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Temecula, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
The high pressure fuel pump is cheap, relatively. It is also under extended warranty so it should be free replacement from your dealer if it failed. The issue is when it does fail they replace every single bit of your fuel system to get any metal contamination from your destroyed HPFP out since the system is a return style. That repair is to the tune of 10k or so....
So you have to wait for it to fail for it to be replaced under warranty?

So essentially you get $1500 off your $10000 bill?

Warranty seems kinda pointless if it will take out your entire fuel system if it fails
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 08:46 PM   #27
Jram328d
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: BMW 328d xdrive
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jram328d View Post
Has anyone else gotten the HPFP replacement quoted out at the dealer? I couldn't believe the price for the pump that I got quoted. Around $1500. Thanks
The high pressure fuel pump is cheap, relatively. It is also under extended warranty so it should be free replacement from your dealer if it failed. The issue is when it does fail they replace every single bit of your fuel system to get any metal contamination from your destroyed HPFP out since the system is a return style. That repair is to the tune of 10k or so....
Thanks. I'm just doing some preventative maintenance on this and replacing it before the 120k life expectancy. $1500 for piece of mind and an unlimited mileage warranty for 2 years seems worth it. Wish someone would come up with an in-line filter for these BMW diesel HPFP's like they did on VW TDI's. Problem solved. May the odds be in everyone's favor.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 04:53 PM   #28
n00bkiller944
Second Lieutenant
56
Rep
219
Posts

Drives: '14 328d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328dX View Post
So you have to wait for it to fail for it to be replaced under warranty?

So essentially you get $1500 off your $10000 bill?

Warranty seems kinda pointless if it will take out your entire fuel system if it fails
No BMW covered full replacement on my car. No cost at my end. Very pleased with their service.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 02:41 AM   #29
cipolz
New Member
0
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: 2002 530i 5 speed
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Got mine back today.
Complete fuel system replaced, no cost to me.
Wouldíve been around $12k...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 11:26 PM   #30
lagwag0n
New Member
United_States
3
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2104 BMW 328d (F30)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Temecula, CA

iTrader: (1)

I know this thread is old but I had this issue last week. BMW extended the fuel system warranty because this happens a lot. Was 100% Free on a CPO 14 328d with 87k miles. Very happy that I didn't have to pay the full 12k price.

BTW: Time frame was 1 week and they provided a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 02:13 PM   #31
n00bkiller944
Second Lieutenant
56
Rep
219
Posts

Drives: '14 328d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagwag0n View Post
I know this thread is old but I had this issue last week. BMW extended the fuel system warranty because this happens a lot. Was 100% Free on a CPO 14 328d with 87k miles. Very happy that I didn't have to pay the full 12k price.

BTW: Time frame was 1 week and they provided a loaner.
Congrats! Glad to hear you were taken care of as well!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 01:34 AM   #32
cipolz
New Member
0
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: 2002 530i 5 speed
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Here we go again... itís hard to believe it but apparently it just happened to me again. Itís only been 6 months and the friggin wagon left me stranded in the middle of the road again. Iím pretty sure itís the same hpfp. Iíll find out more tomorrow, getting towed in tonight.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 10:36 AM   #33
JimKden
Enlisted Member
12
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: 2016 340xi
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

I read an article in my July 2019 Amsoil dealer magazine written by their head of R&D that discussed accelerated wear and failures of diesel fuel pumps as a result of the Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel Fuel (ULSDF) mandated by the EPA since 2008. The article pointed out a Bosch pump used in the Duramax engines used by GM It also said that when the pump fails, it fails in catastrophic fashion and contaminates the entire system with metal particles. The problem is also in the May 2019 issue of Diesel Power Magazine.
ULSDF specifications contain a lubricity test for anti-wear properties (ASTM D6079). This test produces a wear scar on the test specimens where the spec limits are 520 micro meters diameter. Amsoil sampled fuel from 9 states and 5 of the nine scarred out of spec (greater than 520). The Engine Manufacturers Association would like fuels that test out with to no more than 460 micro meters. One sample tested was at 484 micro meters scar. The rest were over 500 micro meters.
Diesel fuel conditioners can help the lubricity. Amsoil reported that the results of treatment to these fuels reduced the scar that ranged from 327 to 389 micro meters all below the EMA's preferred limit of 460 micro meters.
A conditioner might be helpfull.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 11:39 AM   #34
n00bkiller944
Second Lieutenant
56
Rep
219
Posts

Drives: '14 328d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipolz View Post
Here we go again... itís hard to believe it but apparently it just happened to me again. Itís only been 6 months and the friggin wagon left me stranded in the middle of the road again. Iím pretty sure itís the same hpfp. Iíll find out more tomorrow, getting towed in tonight.
That is hard to believe. Wow, almost makes me wonder if your issue is fuel quality related. Keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 10:50 PM   #35
cipolz
New Member
0
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: 2002 530i 5 speed
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Finally talked to my service advisor. Heís pretty sure itís the same issue, but said they couldnít confirm the diagnosis until Tuesday though since they needed to run further testing. If correct this would be only the second time that theyíve seen a repeat failure... and that I would have a strong case with Bmw for a lemon claim considering how long these repairs take. Weíll see, whatís certain is that Iíll be driving a loaner for a while.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 09:51 AM   #36
F32Fleet
Major General
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
1417
Rep
7,772
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southeastern US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKden View Post
I read an article in my July 2019 Amsoil dealer magazine written by their head of R&D that discussed accelerated wear and failures of diesel fuel pumps as a result of the Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel Fuel (ULSDF) mandated by the EPA since 2008. The article pointed out a Bosch pump used in the Duramax engines used by GM It also said that when the pump fails, it fails in catastrophic fashion and contaminates the entire system with metal particles. The problem is also in the May 2019 issue of Diesel Power Magazine.
ULSDF specifications contain a lubricity test for anti-wear properties (ASTM D6079). This test produces a wear scar on the test specimens where the spec limits are 520 micro meters diameter. Amsoil sampled fuel from 9 states and 5 of the nine scarred out of spec (greater than 520). The Engine Manufacturers Association would like fuels that test out with to no more than 460 micro meters. One sample tested was at 484 micro meters scar. The rest were over 500 micro meters.
Diesel fuel conditioners can help the lubricity. Amsoil reported that the results of treatment to these fuels reduced the scar that ranged from 327 to 389 micro meters all below the EMA's preferred limit of 460 micro meters.
A conditioner might be helpfull.
Reminds me of an old study. Since Bosch apparently can't engineer a durable HPFP for current light-duty diesel vehicles here's what I did when I owned a BMW diesel.


#1 Buy in bulk (gallon/liters) quantities a broad spectrum (Cetane, lubricity, detergent) additive. You'll save a lot of money because you can buy additive with a dosing rate of somewhere around 5oz per tank rather than the 16-20oz which is commonly found at retail stores.

#2 Buy a plastic carboy with a peacock spout to dispense the additive. I bought mine at Grainger. Don't forget a funnel to fill it.

#3 Buy a small glass bottle which you can fill with additive (opening large enough to fit around the spout on the carboy and fit, at least partially, inside the filler neck for your fuel tank.
The Asian section in a grocery store has bottles which work nicely. Place a fill mark on the bottle.


The whole idea is to avoid spillage in all cases which limits your exposure to the chemicals.

GL
__________________
"Drive more, worry less. "

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 12:31 AM   #37
cipolz
New Member
0
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: 2002 530i 5 speed
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Confirmed. Hpfp imploded... picked up a brand new x3 as a loaner today. SA said it could be several weeks since there are no fuel tanks available in the US. Probably increasing chances of a buyback. Bmw NA called me earlier today taking in additional details on my case and asked what I wanted to do. I said however much I like the car, Iíd like a buyback at this point,
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 11:40 AM   #38
capt_slow
First Lieutenant
capt_slow's Avatar
United_States
108
Rep
395
Posts

Drives: 2017 F31 328d
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Reminds me of an old study.
The Spicer report?
__________________
2017 328d xDrive Sports Wagon: Estoril Blue, Black Sensatec, Driver Assist Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, ACC, Side/Top Cameras, Park Assist, Nav, HK
2018 i3 Rex: Imperial Blue, Giga Brown leather w/ Carnum Cloth, Tech+Driver Assist Pkg, PDC, CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 03:56 PM   #39
catskillclimber
Private
30
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: 328d
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: claryville, ny

iTrader: (0)

We followed the buy in bulk approach but went with just a lubricity additive (Stanadyne).
Not sure if this is just marketing b/s but if it provides better lubricity (5x) than other Stanadyne formulas then it's worth it.
I spoke w/stanadyne and they indicated that you should expect a larger improvement in lubricity with the lubricity formula than with say the performance formula.
https://promo.parker.com/promotionsi...us/en/products

Last edited by catskillclimber; 09-04-2019 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: add technical info
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #40
F32Fleet
Major General
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
1417
Rep
7,772
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southeastern US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Reminds me of an old study.
The Spicer report?
I can't view it, but IIRC ya.
__________________
"Drive more, worry less. "

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 12:03 PM   #41
n00bkiller944
Second Lieutenant
56
Rep
219
Posts

Drives: '14 328d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catskillclimber View Post
We followed the buy in bulk approach but went with just a lubricity additive (Stanadyne).
Not sure if this is just marketing b/s but if it provides better lubricity (5x) than other Stanadyne formulas then it's worth it.
I spoke w/stanadyne and they indicated that you should expect a larger improvement in lubricity with the lubricity formula than with say the performance formula.
https://promo.parker.com/promotionsi...us/en/products
Same but going with Diesel Power Service. What brought you to the Stanadyne?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 05:32 PM   #42
catskillclimber
Private
30
Rep
90
Posts

Drives: 328d
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: claryville, ny

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
Same but going with Diesel Power Service. What brought you to the Stanadyne?
I went on the assumption that something with a specific target (lubricity) would be better than products trying to do many things. The subject of additives has been beat to death over the years with light truck owners. Never anything definitive, lots of anecdotal stuff, believe or not believe. I've used Power Services product that is supposed to prevent gelling in the winter in dozer, excavator, dump truck, and tractor. It does work as advertised to prevent gelling so it can't be all snake oil. I've never seen increased mpg, restored power, or any of the other over the top claims. If I had access to fresh, quality bio-diesel that would be my additive of choice for better lubricity.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #43
n00bkiller944
Second Lieutenant
56
Rep
219
Posts

Drives: '14 328d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catskillclimber View Post
I went on the assumption that something with a specific target (lubricity) would be better than products trying to do many things. The subject of additives has been beat to death over the years with light truck owners. Never anything definitive, lots of anecdotal stuff, believe or not believe. I've used Power Services product that is supposed to prevent gelling in the winter in dozer, excavator, dump truck, and tractor. It does work as advertised to prevent gelling so it can't be all snake oil. I've never seen increased mpg, restored power, or any of the other over the top claims. If I had access to fresh, quality bio-diesel that would be my additive of choice for better lubricity.
Agreed, lubricity is a good target. I also have fear of water and removing any chance of moisture getting into the tank and through the HPFP
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 08:31 PM   #44
F32Fleet
Major General
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
1417
Rep
7,772
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southeastern US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by catskillclimber View Post
I went on the assumption that something with a specific target (lubricity) would be better than products trying to do many things. The subject of additives has been beat to death over the years with light truck owners. Never anything definitive, lots of anecdotal stuff, believe or not believe. I've used Power Services product that is supposed to prevent gelling in the winter in dozer, excavator, dump truck, and tractor. It does work as advertised to prevent gelling so it can't be all snake oil. I've never seen increased mpg, restored power, or any of the other over the top claims. If I had access to fresh, quality bio-diesel that would be my additive of choice for better lubricity.
Agreed, lubricity is a good target. I also have fear of water and removing any chance of moisture getting into the tank and through the HPFP
Your second fuel filter removes water (between the fuel pumps).
__________________
"Drive more, worry less. "

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
328d, diesel, fuel pump, fuel pump failure, fuel system malfunction

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST