F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > XDelete- the answer to XDrive?
Extreme Powerhouse
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-07-2019, 03:19 PM   #89
Logicoeur
Captain
Logicoeur's Avatar
345
Rep
958
Posts

Drives: F30 335i xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineX View Post
Rwd car will never be the same as x delete until the xdelete disconnect is at the front hubs. Even then it's still going to have extra weight, and different suspension options.
They don't drive much different when accounting just for weight. Once you turn off the power to the front wheels, which is what this does, they essentially drive exactly the same. You are pulling at straws now, which doesn't help hour argument at all.

The suspension parts are literally the same. Many people here have used rwd coilovers on their xdrive just fine. Stop it.
__________________
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | 18X9 ET32 TR-1 255/40/18 | MPerf LSD
Appreciate 1
Insane435216.50

      07-07-2019, 03:27 PM   #90
AlpineX
Captain
167
Rep
625
Posts

Drives: Diesel
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
They don't drive much different when accounting just for weight. Once you turn off the power to the front wheels, which is what this does, they essentially drive exactly the same. You are pulling at straws now, which doesn't help hour argument at all.

The suspension parts are literally the same. Many people here have used rwd coilovers on their xdrive just fine. Stop it.
Front free-wheelers are not going to be the same to fronts that are connected to axles, then meeting together in a differential, then dragging along a driveshaft. Massive difference, no. The same, definitely not.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 05:42 PM   #91
Skyhigh
Major
Skyhigh's Avatar
375
Rep
1,120
Posts

Drives: BMW F36
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

How can this be a discussion?
People (should have) selected what they see fit before buying.

If I could select between RWD and XDrive - great. Between FWD, RWD and Xdrive - even better. The more versatility - the better.
But given the out of factory choices - RWD was never even remotely on the menu for me.

Would I go for an aftermarket product like the one subject here - most likely not. Or at least not before there is enough confirmation that no harm is or could be done to the car.

XDrive is simply great!

Those who prefer RWD only - good for you. But let's not make it an argument here.
__________________
"Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in cars and women."
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #92
deviantspeed
moew
154
Rep
483
Posts

Drives: 2017 F31 330 and a WP0AA
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: I live in a tent

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Hos can this be a discussion?
People (should have) selected what they see fit before buying.

If I could select between RWD and XDrive - great. Between FWD, RWD and Xdrive - even better. The more versatility - the better.
But given the out of factory choices - RWD was never even remotely on the menu for me.

Would I go for an aftermarket product like the one subject here - most likely not. Or at least not before there is enough confirmation that no harm is or could be done to the car.

XDrive is simply great!
How do I import an F31 RWD for cheap?

I'd agree that X-Drive is awesome, better than some other german marques that are FWD biased! I know, I ditched one that was problematic.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #93
SteelBlue46
Private
United_States
38
Rep
85
Posts

Drives: Alpine White '13 335i XDrive
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (1)

Xdelete has posted on their Facebook page that F series development is in its final stages of testing and their goal is to release sometime in the next week or so. prices will start at $149.99 same as other models and will be available on both android and iOS provided you have an adapter to connect an ethernet cable to your device( can be purchased on Amazon cheap) if you purchase a license it is transferable between ios and android more info and features can be found on their facebook page and website Xdelete.app

as a side note to everyone. please keep in mind I am in no way affiliated with Xdelete,X-hp,and their creator. I'm simply someone relaying the message to our community because I think the technology is neat and it's cool to see companies modifying our vehicles. I definitely love my Xdrive and have been very impressed by it and am not saying Xdrive is bad.
Thanks everyone for your opinions this is exactly why I wanted to bring the info to this community!
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2019, 06:00 PM   #94
BNTLY
Master Chief
United_States
27
Rep
166
Posts

Drives: F34
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I bought AWD for a reason - if I wanted RWD only, I would have purchased that way...
2nd that.

Regardless, itís not available for the f34 like most mods.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 06:40 PM   #95
mcintoshf30
Private First Class
mcintoshf30's Avatar
United_States
57
Rep
140
Posts

Drives: 2014 F30 335xi
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue46 View Post
Xdelete has posted on their Facebook page that F series development is in its final stages of testing and their goal is to release sometime in the next week or so. prices will start at $149.99 same as other models and will be available on both android and iOS provided you have an adapter to connect an ethernet cable to your device( can be purchased on Amazon cheap) if you purchase a license it is transferable between ios and android more info and features can be found on their facebook page and website Xdelete.app

as a side note to everyone. please keep in mind I am in no way affiliated with Xdelete,X-hp,and their creator. I'm simply someone relaying the message to our community because I think the technology is neat and it's cool to see companies modifying our vehicles. I definitely love my Xdrive and have been very impressed by it and am not saying Xdrive is bad.
Thanks everyone for your opinions this is exactly why I wanted to bring the info to this community!
FINALLY! There hasn't been an update from them in a long time. Can't wait to try it out!!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 07:02 PM   #96
SteelBlue46
Private
United_States
38
Rep
85
Posts

Drives: Alpine White '13 335i XDrive
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintoshf30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue46 View Post
Xdelete has posted on their Facebook page that F series development is in its final stages of testing and their goal is to release sometime in the next week or so. prices will start at $149.99 same as other models and will be available on both android and iOS provided you have an adapter to connect an ethernet cable to your device( can be purchased on Amazon cheap) if you purchase a license it is transferable between ios and android more info and features can be found on their facebook page and website Xdelete.app

as a side note to everyone. please keep in mind I am in no way affiliated with Xdelete,X-hp,and their creator. I'm simply someone relaying the message to our community because I think the technology is neat and it's cool to see companies modifying our vehicles. I definitely love my Xdrive and have been very impressed by it and am not saying Xdrive is bad.
Thanks everyone for your opinions this is exactly why I wanted to bring the info to this community!
FINALLY! There hasn't been an update from them in a long time. Can't wait to try it out!!
Agreed! I started to lose faith that they were going to release it as development for E series continued and no word as to their progress of the F series support.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #97
SteelBlue46
Private
United_States
38
Rep
85
Posts

Drives: Alpine White '13 335i XDrive
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNTLY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I bought AWD for a reason - if I wanted RWD only, I would have purchased that way...
2nd that.

Regardless, it’s not available for the f34 like most mods.
it hasn't released yet but they say all F chassis vehicles will be supported as they all use the same Xdrive systems. unless the F34 uses a different system I'm sure it will be supported
Also it is not a permanent switch to RWD this software will allow you to switch between RWD and AWD and even configure how your AWD system acts and read error codes among other things!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 08:07 PM   #98
ali820
Second Lieutenant
ali820's Avatar
190
Rep
259
Posts

Drives: '15 335i MPE 6sp Suzuka Grey
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

You mean I can make my f30 behave like the M5 and rumored AWD M3? Sign me up!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 08:53 AM   #99
F3085258
Private First Class
Canada
41
Rep
108
Posts

Drives: 2016 X5M
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali820 View Post
You mean I can make my f30 behave like the M5 and rumored AWD M3? Sign me up!
Not like the OEM button on the M5. Xdelete "flashes" the Module that controls the transfer case to control the torque split front to rear. Can be turned off, set to preset modes (dry, wet, snow) or you can set the torque split. Takes a couple mins to program each time you want to change it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 08:54 AM   #100
F3085258
Private First Class
Canada
41
Rep
108
Posts

Drives: 2016 X5M
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Count me in.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #101
HybridAWD
New Member
6
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: BMW 435i xDrive
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Norfolk, VA

iTrader: (0)

I think there is some potentially great aspects to xDelete but I might be thinking too far outside of the box.

Similar to the ATTEDA E-TS in the GTR, if you're in to drag racing then being able to turn off the front, do a burnout, then reactivate for launch... that'd be pretty amazing. Granted, I doubt there are that many owners who are going down that path, but having that option is great. Obviously the dyno option was mentioned so that is a huge perk for those without an AWD dyno in their area.

No clue if this is an option but I wonder if (in the future) you could enable xDelete at a certain MPH/gear under Sport + Traction Control off that way you're applying max torque to the rear and eliminating the need to drive the front. Sure you still have dead weight but if you can eliminate the engine having to turn the front, there could be a slight benefit to that. (is there really that much difference with 0-60 with RWD vs AWD in these cars?)

I think the big picture is that this is all somewhat still kinda of "new" tuning technology and it has so much potential. Whether it's good or bad for the mechanical components of the cars, I think that can only be determined over the long haul. Either way, it's exciting times we're living in with being able to modify the drivetrain of cars with our phones lol
Appreciate 2
      09-12-2019, 05:09 PM   #102
Kimd41
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Spain

iTrader: (0)

Is the F30 xDrive differential the same as the RWD version? Because I've read somewhere its weaker, im stage 2 and dont want to blow it up.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 02:40 AM   #103
FastF30
Captain
FastF30's Avatar
288
Rep
948
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Over there

iTrader: (0)

I bought my car just because its an Xdrive.... I was in traffic and a spot diagonally from me opened up and I floored it and yanked the wheel... the car just went... if that was RWD I'd be posting pictures of a smashed rear quarter panel from fish tailing...
Appreciate 1
cmplaya194.00

      09-13-2019, 04:25 AM   #104
Skyhigh
Major
Skyhigh's Avatar
375
Rep
1,120
Posts

Drives: BMW F36
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Why anyone would downgrade from XDrive to RWD (except to just fool arround) is a puzzle.

How people are simply trusting some app developers who have:
- Zero insight into the design of the vehicle
- Zero insight into the margins of the components
- Zero resources and ability to perform comprehensive testing
- Zero liability if something happen as a direct result of their product

is even a bigger puzzle.

Guys, this is not turning your ambi light from orange to blue. This is directly related to safety! Yours and of those around you.
__________________
"Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in cars and women."
Appreciate 2
Poochie2898.00
cmplaya194.00

      09-13-2019, 01:51 PM   #105
Logicoeur
Captain
Logicoeur's Avatar
345
Rep
958
Posts

Drives: F30 335i xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Why anyone would downgrade from XDrive to RWD (except to just fool arround) is a puzzle.

How people are simply trusting some app developers who have:
- Zero insight into the design of the vehicle
- Zero insight into the margins of the components
- Zero resources and ability to perform comprehensive testing
- Zero liability if something happen as a direct result of their product

is even a bigger puzzle.

Guys, this is not turning your ambi light from orange to blue. This is directly related to safety! Yours and of those around you.
By this logic, how does anyone make aftermarket parts that sell and are safe? Is your car entirey stock? Doubt it. Your logic is extremely flawed here, or just purely naive.

I own xdrive for its practicality, living in NE. If it weren't for the short summers I would have purchased a rwd. The driving dynamics of rwd are night and day as far as feel and control. This is why the vast majority of track ready vehicles come in rwd config. You can't just call it a downgrade. One is better for daily driving in more regions of the country all year. One is better for 10/10s driving and daily driving in fewer parts of the country year round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
I bought my car just because its an Xdrive.... I was in traffic and a spot diagonally from me opened up and I floored it and yanked the wheel... the car just went... if that was RWD I'd be posting pictures of a smashed rear quarter panel from fish tailing...
Again this here is flawed, or just confused? What does one edge case paint about the overall use case for such a feature that can be toggled? Nothing at all.

There are many instances where xdelete can be useful. BMW could see the same since they introduced it to the new M5. As with all of these things, the tech will trickle down to the rest of their products in due time.
__________________
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | 18X9 ET32 TR-1 255/40/18 | MPerf LSD
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 02:34 PM   #106
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
Poochie's Avatar
United_States
2898
Rep
3,355
Posts

Drives: 2016 M2
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Why anyone would downgrade from XDrive to RWD (except to just fool arround) is a puzzle.

How people are simply trusting some app developers who have:
- Zero insight into the design of the vehicle
- Zero insight into the margins of the components
- Zero resources and ability to perform comprehensive testing
- Zero liability if something happen as a direct result of their product

is even a bigger puzzle.

Guys, this is not turning your ambi light from orange to blue. This is directly related to safety! Yours and of those around you.

I agree with you; it's short-sighted to interfere with anything to do with the traction or stability control, which disabling the xDrive certainly does, since it's part of the vehicle's logic.

A risk in which some is obviously willing to take on but doesn't mean it's a smart idea to blindly make changes to the vehicle's drivetrains MO without fully knowing of any potential drawbacks. That 'one-wheel peel' in the video supplied is kind of alarming to watch on an xDrive-equipped vehicle.

An aftermarket company that sells these patches have nothing to lose, since they already disclaim liability, so I wouldn't exactly take their word. But to each is own
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh375.00

      09-13-2019, 04:19 PM   #107
Skyhigh
Major
Skyhigh's Avatar
375
Rep
1,120
Posts

Drives: BMW F36
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Why anyone would downgrade from XDrive to RWD (except to just fool arround) is a puzzle.

How people are simply trusting some app developers who have:
- Zero insight into the design of the vehicle
- Zero insight into the margins of the components
- Zero resources and ability to perform comprehensive testing
- Zero liability if something happen as a direct result of their product

is even a bigger puzzle.

Guys, this is not turning your ambi light from orange to blue. This is directly related to safety! Yours and of those around you.
By this logic, how does anyone make aftermarket parts that sell and are safe? Is your car entirey stock? Doubt it. Your logic is extremely flawed here, or just purely naive.

I own xdrive for its practicality, living in NE. If it weren't for the short summers I would have purchased a rwd. The driving dynamics of rwd are night and day as far as feel and control. This is why the vast majority of track ready vehicles come in rwd config. You can't just call it a downgrade. One is better for daily driving in more regions of the country all year. One is better for 10/10s driving and daily driving in fewer parts of the country year round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
I bought my car just because its an Xdrive.... I was in traffic and a spot diagonally from me opened up and I floored it and yanked the wheel... the car just went... if that was RWD I'd be posting pictures of a smashed rear quarter panel from fish tailing...
Again this here is flawed, or just confused? What does one edge case paint about the overall use case for such a feature that can be toggled? Nothing at all.

There are many instances where xdelete can be useful. BMW could see the same since they introduced it to the new M5. As with all of these things, the tech will trickle down to the rest of their products in due time.
Yes, my vehicle is stock, apart from MPPSK, which is a product of people with full insight and unquestionable competence.

But you are missing the point here. Everyone willing to test something like what we are discussing here is effectively a guinea pig.
And it is one thing to be a guinea pig for a new interior trim or even a new exhaust system or air filter, completely different for a modified drivetrain software in a highly integrated modern vehicle, where every line of code relies on the integrity of the entire system!!
Ask the developer for a system safety assessment, software development standard, design assurance level? Ask at least for a liability statement?
You will get none of those. Ask yourself why. Or don't, but stick to the track only, please.

And last but not least - the home country of BMW has an incredibly low accident rate, despite no speed limit on the highway. Why? One of the reasons is that one is not allowed to install a headlight bulb that has no approval for use in the specific vehicle...
__________________
"Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in cars and women."
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 04:26 PM   #108
Logicoeur
Captain
Logicoeur's Avatar
345
Rep
958
Posts

Drives: F30 335i xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Yeah that's not how software works and you are talking to a software engineer. Turning off xdrive will have no catastrophic issues. The way xdrive works the transfer case is only engaged when wheel is losing traction above a certain amount. Xdrive can already send nearly up to 100% of the power to the rear, in optimal conditions. Then, since there's no coding for the MP LSD, and that it doesn't interfere with xdrive, we can safely assume xdrive must only intervene above the 30% max slip for the LSD. Even RWD cars are susceptible to one wheel peel if they have an open diff.

Moreover, you don't need to be the original manufacturer (BMW) to be able to safely modify a car or any of its parts. There are several aftermarket tuning companies that rewrite many portions of the DME which controls everything in the car. Turning off xdrive is not as unsafe as you clearly think it is. Bmw, with all its funding, engineers, and testing still makes mistakes. They still get leaky oil filter housings. They still run into electrical parts dying for no apparent reason. He'll, the oe CP failure is a perfect example of their incompetence.

Lastly, only the autobahn and places like it havs no speed limit. It's not every road in the country or region.

Enjoy your car, but don't spew your unsubstantiated fears on everyone else. Especially when you are wrong.
__________________
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | 18X9 ET32 TR-1 255/40/18 | MPerf LSD
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 04:46 PM   #109
Skyhigh
Major
Skyhigh's Avatar
375
Rep
1,120
Posts

Drives: BMW F36
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

For a software engineer you assume to know way too much about mechanics.
And since I am a bit of both, I know enough to know what I don't know...
How do traction and stability assistants respond to a modified drivetrain? "We can safely assume" again?

You are correct about one thing though - even well funded, experienced companies like BMW make mistakes. What should we say about companies that don't even have the basic insight into the existing design required to do a proper job.

P.s. thanks for clarifying the speed limits in my homeland. It is sometimes easy to forget while driving legally with 250 km/h and putting your life in the hands of a system that must work reliably every millisecond.
__________________
"Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in cars and women."
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 04:52 PM   #110
SteelBlue46
Private
United_States
38
Rep
85
Posts

Drives: Alpine White '13 335i XDrive
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Why anyone would downgrade from XDrive to RWD (except to just fool arround) is a puzzle.

How people are simply trusting some app developers who have:
- Zero insight into the design of the vehicle
- Zero insight into the margins of the components
- Zero resources and ability to perform comprehensive testing
- Zero liability if something happen as a direct result of their product

is even a bigger puzzle.

Guys, this is not turning your ambi light from orange to blue. This is directly related to safety! Yours and of those around you.
The RBT Tuning GMBH who created XDelete also created the XHP transmission tuner for our cars which alot of people here use and enjoy with no issues. so I would assume they at least have some knowledge of how these cars communicate with the different modules TC and stability control ect. However I have no way to prove or disprove their facilities and ability to test ect. Our phones are more than what they used to be. essentially small computers and alot of people trust apps like MHD to make drastic changes to the engines computer in a similar fashion(connected using a cable from the device to the car. I dont think the delivery of the programming is an issue.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST