F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Insurers that are MP kit/interior friendly
proTUNING Freaks

02-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #1
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

Can anyone with the MP kit and interior trim kit recommend an insurer that is reasonable and doesn't go crazy when you try and add them.

Last year I struggled to get insured and eventually went with Adrian flux but at quite an expense, I was running out of time.

I'm 35 with 11yr no claims, no convictions or fault claims so it shouldn't be this hard to get a car with such basic OEM mods insured.

Any help much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 02:30 PM   #2
Vasumir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoShambolt View Post
Can anyone the MP kit and interior trim kit recommend an insurer that is reasonable and doesn't go crazy when you try and add them.

Last year I struggled to get insured and eventually went with Adrian flux but at quite an expense, I was running out of time.

I'm 35 with 11yr no claims, no convictions or fault claims so it shouldn't be this hard to get a car with such basic OEM mods insured.

Aviva were fine for me. They didn't care about the body kit, I've actually only ended up adding spoiler and diffuser so far, but covered for full. They charged an extra £30 for full body kit and mppsk. I think it was only the MPPSK that actually cost me.

I should point out, I spoke to them over the phone when sorting it.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2019, 03:17 PM   #3
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasumir View Post
Quote:
Can anyone the MP kit and interior trim kit recommend an insurer that is reasonable and doesn't go crazy when you try and add them.

Aviva were fine for me. They didn't care about the body kit, I've actually only ended up adding spoiler and diffuser so far, but covered for full. They charged an extra £30 for full body kit and mppsk. I think it was only the MPPSK that actually cost me.

Ah right, I've not tried them before. Also out of interest were your additions added at the dealer before you collected or by yourself after you collected?

For some reason a lot of insurer say if it was dealer added it makes no change and they will cover it. BUT if you install the same parts yourself they all of a sudden before much more of an issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 03:22 PM   #4
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

If it’s a replica kit I wouldn’t bother, if it gets wrecked or stolen it’s only about £300 to replace the whole kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
Vasumir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ah right, I've not tried them before. Also out of interest were your additions added at the dealer before you collected or by yourself after you collected?

For some reason a lot of insurer say if it was dealer added it makes no change and they will cover it. BUT if you install the same parts yourself they all of a sudden before much more of an issue.
Mine were added a few weeks after I collected at a different dealer, as mine couldn't match the price Reading offered.
I told Aviva this as they said the same thing as you've just pointed out, if you collect the car that way then they don't care. Because I was adding them after, they added a small charge for the MPPSK.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2019, 03:45 PM   #6
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
If it's a replica kit I wouldn't bother, if it gets wrecked or stolen it's only about £300 to replace the whole kit.
It's all genuine and sprayed up so worth while covering, not worth neglecting to mention when it could give them a reason to reduce a pay out, I've had to claim for a total loss many years ago, all I can say is I'm glad I was squeaky clean as they tried every avenue possible to not pay or reduce the pay out.

As always I guess, you pay your money and take your chance.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #7
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mine were added a few weeks after I collected at a different dealer, as mine couldn't match the price Reading offered.
I told Aviva this as they said the same thing as you've just pointed out, if you collect the car that way then they don't care. Because I was adding them after, they added a small charge for the MPPSK.
Sounds good, thanks for the info, will ring them tomorrow for a quote.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #8
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
It's all genuine and sprayed up so worth while covering, not worth neglecting to mention when it could give them a reason to reduce a pay out, I've had to claim for a total loss many years ago, all I can say is I'm glad I was squeaky clean as they tried every avenue possible to not pay or reduce the pay out.

As always I guess, you pay your money and take your chance.
That’s a different matter then, probably a couple of grands worth of kit I guess!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 04:03 PM   #9
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

Admiral Insurance for me , £45 (+£25 admin) extra for the MPPSK and a few months later £0 (+£25 admin) for the carbon / alcantara interior trim kit inc. steering wheel.

You can get an initial quote online if you are thinking about adding anything before doing the work , which is handy.

When i initially asked for the quotations i always told them the BM part number of the parts i was getting , that way there was no dubiety about what was actually getting fitted.

Kenny
Appreciate 1
ahmedb368.00
      02-06-2019, 01:26 AM   #10
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo67 View Post
Admiral Insurance for me , £45 (+£25 admin) extra for the MPPSK and a few months later £0 (+£25 admin) for the carbon / alcantara interior trim kit inc. steering wheel.

You can get an initial quote online if you are thinking about adding anything before doing the work , which is handy.

When i initially asked for the quotations i always told them the BM part number of the parts i was getting , that way there was no dubiety about what was actually getting fitted.

Kenny
I just did a quote with Admiral. They were considerably more expensive than my car provider with a standard car (£250ish) however when I added a remap up to 25% increase and lowered suspension up to 5cm drop it only added £28 so it seems they are favourable to modifications.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #11
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

Quote:
Can anyone with the MP kit and interior trim kit recommend an insurer that is reasonable and doesn't go crazy when you try and add them.

LV= only increased my premium by £10 for MPPK.
I have no interior trim mod.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 06:06 AM   #12
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

A-Plan at Thatcham will cover it easily
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 05:08 AM   #13
skipraider
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 BMW 335i

I'm with Chris Knott. Took a very small premium for my mods.
      02-11-2019, 06:01 AM   #14
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I just tried Aviva, wow what a shower of shit!
The had me on the phone for 45 mins and I don't even think we were half way through the quote. They wanted me to got to BMW and get individual prices for absolutely everything, you may have been lucky with them. I told the guy if it's taking this long I have a funny feeling it's going to be a silly quote so cut my loses on the call. Every time I listed a mod he was away to speak to the underwriter for 20 mins. A plan and Chris Knott next.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 06:42 AM   #15
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Went with Adrian Flux in the end, they dropped the renewal by £235 from last year. Minimal drama and all mods insured.

Chris Knott were only interested in quoting when I had my renewal. Which I think is a bit cheeky. Just trying to come up with a quote only marginally lower to steal the business rather than just give you a honest quote from the start, I would assume.
Appreciate 1
bishbosh838.00
      02-11-2019, 07:12 AM   #16
ahmedb
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 Silverstone M3

Another one for Admiral. Declared MPPSK, m performance splitter, diffuser and carbon boot spoiler as well as alcantara steering wheel and interior trim set. Only circa £40 more for the year.
      02-11-2019, 07:42 AM   #17
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I wouldn't touch Admiral with a bargepole even if they were the cheapest.

The muppets tried to sting me for an extra £120 after I had a no fault claim as they then reckoned I was at greater risk of a 2nd claim.
      02-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #18
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Ah another update, so after being spun the line that Chis Knott won't really quote fully until they have a renewal to compete against, they just called again. £275 cheaper than Adrian Flux! Why don't they just say that in the first place. I just bit the bullet and paid A.F

With the £100 cancellation and no refund on extras it's not worth messing about to change.

Thought I would let others know though.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 08:59 AM   #19
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
I wouldn't touch Admiral with a bargepole even if they were the cheapest.

The muppets tried to sting me for an extra £120 after I had a no fault claim as they then reckoned I was at greater risk of a 2nd claim.
Worst insurer ever. Cheap, but slippery as anything.

They charge for mods but if you have an accident they repair your car to standard spec.

Horrendous delay tactics on paying out when I had a car stolen too.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #20
Vasumir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The had me on the phone for 45 mins and I don't even think we were half way through the quote. They wanted me to got to BMW and get individual prices for absolutely everything, you may have been lucky with them. I told the guy if it's taking this long I have a funny feeling it's going to be a silly quote so cut my loses on the call. Every time I listed a mod he was away to speak to the underwriter for 20 mins. A plan and Chris Knott next.
Wow, that does sound bad! One of us got very lucky/unlucky it seems.
I had a guy who seemed familiar with it all, he knew the MPPSK had a small remap. I did have to provide them with rough prices for the MPPSK and bodykit so they could add it to the insurance. Was fairly smooth sailing though I'm my experience.
Sorry they gave you such a hard time!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #21
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wow, that does sound bad! One of us got very lucky/unlucky it seems.
I had a guy who seemed familiar with it all, he knew the MPPSK had a small remap. I did have to provide them with rough prices for the MPPSK and bodykit so they could add it to the insurance. Was fairly smooth sailing though I'm my experience.
Sorry they gave you such a hard time!
No problems at all, not your fault! I think having someone who actually has an interest in cars helps massively, the guy I spoke to took ages to do everything and seemed to know very little!
Appreciate 0