F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Windy City BMW HPDE 2019 @ Autobahn Country Club, May 17-19
Extreme Powerhouse
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-23-2019, 11:30 PM   #1
CP911
Major
United_States
762
Rep
1,106
Posts

Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NW Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Windy City BMW HPDE 2019 @ Autobahn Country Club, May 17-19

Just signed up for the Novice group running Saturday & Sunday, May 18 & 19. Anyone else here going? I'm psyched! This will be my first HPDE since November 2016 and my first in a BMW! First time at the Autobahn as well... less than an hour from my home.

If you are going into this a lone wolf like me and want to meet up before/during just to make it more fun and to share the experience with someone else, just let me know.

Looks like there will be a BMW car show as well that Saturday from 11am - 2pm, so something to do even for those who aren't driving that weekend.

If you want to attend, here is the HPDE registration link.

Should be a great time. Hope to see some of you there!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #2
BeerHerder
Second Lieutenant
United_States
136
Rep
262
Posts

Drives: BMW 335, BMW X3, Victory Vegas
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (1)

Damn... I'm in Grand Rapids for a wedding all weekend. Otherwise, YES. It doesn't say the start time for Sunday... any idea? I could potentially make it if I could show up at like noon.
__________________
Glacier Silver Metallic 335i X-Drive - Can't leave well enough alone...
Carbon Fiber mirror caps & badges, IND Color Matched Reflectors, LED Fogs, BM3 Stage 1 93 OTS, Bimmertech Amp (more to come... always more)
Graphite Metallic X3 (nothing yet, but... you know)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 09:27 PM   #3
CP911
Major
United_States
762
Rep
1,106
Posts

Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NW Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHerder View Post
Damn... I'm in Grand Rapids for a wedding all weekend. Otherwise, YES. It doesn't say the start time for Sunday... any idea? I could potentially make it if I could show up at like noon.
Here is the info from the Driver's Packet PDF:

Registration from 7:00 AM till 7:30 AM. At the front gate you must sign two liability waivers, one for Autobahn and one for Windy City BMW which signs away your rights. A copy of our waiver is enclosed, please review it. You must go to the club registration area by the South Tower to complete registration and receive your participant packet. After registering, unload your car and affix your participant number to the windshield.

Drivers Meetings will begin at 8:00 AM on both Saturday & Sunday near the South Tower building. This is the most important safety meeting of the day and is MANDATORY for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 12:18 AM   #4
BeerHerder
Second Lieutenant
United_States
136
Rep
262
Posts

Drives: BMW 335, BMW X3, Victory Vegas
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (1)

Damn. I'll never make it. I did join BMW CCA so I could get access to these events, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 09:22 AM   #5
CntryClub007
Captain
CntryClub007's Avatar
United_States
348
Rep
837
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i | 2013 X5-35i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Just signed up for the Novice group running Saturday & Sunday, May 18 & 19. Anyone else here going? I'm psyched! This will be my first HPDE since November 2016 and my first in a BMW! First time at the Autobahn as well... less than an hour from my home.

If you are going into this a lone wolf like me and want to meet up before/during just to make it more fun and to share the experience with someone else, just let me know.

Looks like there will be a BMW car show as well that Saturday from 11am - 2pm, so something to do even for those who aren't driving that weekend.

If you want to attend, here is the HPDE registration link.

Should be a great time. Hope to see some of you there!
Sweet! Definitely lookin forward to doing one down the road in the new whip 340i, moved from a 320i. Tons of stuff on through June for me.

Here is a video from a few years back - we had a blast. Let me know if you have any questions, Autobahn is a great place.



With Instructor (might have some tips in there for you):
Appreciate 1
CP911762.00

      05-09-2019, 09:43 AM   #6
CP911
Major
United_States
762
Rep
1,106
Posts

Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NW Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Nice, CC007! Very helpful actually for someone who's never been there. If you see a Melbourne Red M240i w/ the matte black M Performance rocker panel decals, be sure to come say hi!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #7
CntryClub007
Captain
CntryClub007's Avatar
United_States
348
Rep
837
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i | 2013 X5-35i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Nice, CC007! Very helpful actually for someone who's never been there. If you see a Melbourne Red M240i w/ the matte black M Performance rocker panel decals, be sure to come say hi!
Totally! Your car will have plenty of power to have fun, just make sure you have a good brake pad and new fluid. Your OEM's are going to fade after 10 turns. You should be fine from an engine / oil cooling perspective.

Losing brakes isn't fun, but it's something I encourage you to try and better understand the limit of with no other vehicles around you. When you do start to reach that point, mentally slow down and understand that you can't push further, your brakes need to cool down at that point and be smart on the course. I fly a lot of airplanes and see people do dumb shit, for example "gotta get there itis"...be smart out there, this isn't the Indy 500.

These HPDE events are also great because you get full track at Autobahn. I would never do half circuit, full track is the right experience.

I'm not an auto-cross / parking lot kind of guy, road course is where it is at.

What pads are you running and how old is your brake fluid? Lastly, what tires are you running?

IMO, for these things, to occasionally have fun at these things, you really need:
-Brake (Pad and Fluid)
-Tire
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 10:41 PM   #8
CP911
Major
United_States
762
Rep
1,106
Posts

Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NW Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryClub007 View Post
Totally! Your car will have plenty of power to have fun, just make sure you have a good brake pad and new fluid. Your OEM's are going to fade after 10 turns. You should be fine from an engine / oil cooling perspective.

Losing brakes isn't fun, but it's something I encourage you to try and better understand the limit of with no other vehicles around you. When you do start to reach that point, mentally slow down and understand that you can't push further, your brakes need to cool down at that point and be smart on the course. I fly a lot of airplanes and see people do dumb shit, for example "gotta get there itis"...be smart out there, this isn't the Indy 500.

These HPDE events are also great because you get full track at Autobahn. I would never do half circuit, full track is the right experience.

I'm not an auto-cross / parking lot kind of guy, road course is where it is at.

What pads are you running and how old is your brake fluid? Lastly, what tires are you running?

IMO, for these things, to occasionally have fun at these things, you really need:
-Brake (Pad and Fluid)
-Tire
I'm picking up the car tomorrow from Fall Line Motorsports as they just installed the M Performance limited-slip differential, Motul RBF660 brake fluid (I supplied it), and Pagid RSL29 pads on all 4 corners.

I learned the importance of brakes in my now sold 2016 WRX. My first track day ever was at VIR and I ran the WRX with stock brake fluid (flushed and replaced right before at Subaru dealership) and stock pads. Fluid was boiling in no time and my pedal was going down to the floor ... not very fun on the back straight! Brake fade was bad and my pads were basically melting and glazed the rotors. Surprisingly, I had at least 10k street miles on those pads before the HPDE and ran them without issue commuting for work up to 22k miles before selling the car. They performed horribly, but they lasted. LOL.

The WRX also went into limp mode. Probably from high air intake temps or oil temps. Once I started getting a bit quicker, I noticed the car wouldn't let me rev past ~4k rpms. Basically same effect as hitting the rev limiter, but at only 4k rpm. I went home and swore I wouldn't bother going on track again until I had a car that was more suited to the task. Fast forward to now...

Anyway, the 18th can't get here soon enough! I'm so excited to get back out there!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 12:55 AM   #9
CntryClub007
Captain
CntryClub007's Avatar
United_States
348
Rep
837
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i | 2013 X5-35i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryClub007 View Post
Totally! Your car will have plenty of power to have fun, just make sure you have a good brake pad and new fluid. Your OEM's are going to fade after 10 turns. You should be fine from an engine / oil cooling perspective.

Losing brakes isn't fun, but it's something I encourage you to try and better understand the limit of with no other vehicles around you. When you do start to reach that point, mentally slow down and understand that you can't push further, your brakes need to cool down at that point and be smart on the course. I fly a lot of airplanes and see people do dumb shit, for example "gotta get there itis"...be smart out there, this isn't the Indy 500.

These HPDE events are also great because you get full track at Autobahn. I would never do half circuit, full track is the right experience.

I'm not an auto-cross / parking lot kind of guy, road course is where it is at.

What pads are you running and how old is your brake fluid? Lastly, what tires are you running?

IMO, for these things, to occasionally have fun at these things, you really need:
-Brake (Pad and Fluid)
-Tire
I'm picking up the car tomorrow from Fall Line Motorsports as they just installed the M Performance limited-slip differential, Motul RBF660 brake fluid (I supplied it), and Pagid RSL29 pads on all 4 corners.

I learned the importance of brakes in my now sold 2016 WRX. My first track day ever was at VIR and I ran the WRX with stock brake fluid (flushed and replaced right before at Subaru dealership) and stock pads. Fluid was boiling in no time and my pedal was going down to the floor ... not very fun on the back straight! Brake fade was bad and my pads were basically melting and glazed the rotors. Surprisingly, I had at least 10k street miles on those pads before the HPDE and ran them without issue commuting for work up to 22k miles before selling the car. They performed horribly, but they lasted. LOL.

The WRX also went into limp mode. Probably from high air intake temps or oil temps. Once I started getting a bit quicker, I noticed the car wouldn't let me rev past ~4k rpms. Basically same effect as hitting the rev limiter, but at only 4k rpm. I went home and swore I wouldn't bother going on track again until I had a car that was more suited to the task. Fast forward to now...

Anyway, the 18th can't get here soon enough! I'm so excited to get back out there!
So happy to read this...You are going to be DIALED IN. I can't wait to hear about the event. Motul is what I used to run as well, a few pictures of one of my many brake installs from years ago, always fun to share.

I'm expecting some photos from the day and yes, I agree the 18th can't come soon enough for you!
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST