F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2020 Toyota Supra
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-07-2019, 11:15 PM   #463
supra93
Major
United_States
1057
Rep
1,378
Posts

Drives: SLK, CLK, E500, Supra, RX7
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

All units reserved ahead of European Premiere

https://newsroom.toyota.eu/toyota-gr-supra-1/

Quote:
  • Every Toyota GR Supra intended for delivery in 2019 has now been reserved across major European sports car markets
  • High demand for the Toyota GR Supra has led to a waiting list that runs into the thousands
  • Reservations will shortly re-open for 2020 deliveries
  • Following the successful launch of country-specific reservation platforms in October 2018 and ahead of its European premiere at the Geneva Motor Show, every Toyota GR Supra intended for delivery in 2019 has now been reserved across major European sports car markets.

After a 17-year absence from the market and due to an overwhelming appetite from enthusiasts for a sports car that delivers a pure driving experience, high demand for the Toyota GR Supra has led to a waiting list that runs into the thousands, ensuring reservations will shortly re-open for 2020 deliveries.

To celebrate the Supra’s legendary heritage and introduction of the fifth-generation chassis code number, an exclusive Toyota GR Supra A90 Edition model will be built. Finished in dramatic, matt Storm Grey, equipped with 19” matt black alloy wheels and featuring a stunning red leather driver-centric cockpit, all 90 examples of the A90 Edition have been reserved.

Finally, to recognise the enthusiasm they’ve shown for the return of the Supra name, the 900 Toyota GR Supra owners in Europe during the first year of the car’s launch will enjoy a number of special benefits. As members of the Supra 900 and in the lead-up to the delivery of their car from summer 2019, they will be given access to exclusive experience programmes and a number of money-can’t-buy rewards.

Chief Engineer of the Toyota GR Supra, Tetsuya Tada, commented: “I’d like to thank the first 900 customers for their reservations, securing their priority order access to the new Toyota GR Supra ahead of its official European premiere at 2019 Geneva Motor Show. As Chief Engineer, I cannot wait until the moment they get behind the wheel, I believe that we will reignite the passion and put the fun back into driving for as many people as possible.”
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 11:35 PM   #464
MassNerd
Private First Class
MassNerd's Avatar
United_States
58
Rep
138
Posts

Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris View Post
Stray thought: Perhaps BMW and Toyota intentionally leaked the necessary information to crack the B48/B58 ECU since Toyota insisted that the Supra had to be accessible to aftermarket tuners, and we actually have Toyota and this car to thank for the fact that we can remap/flash our engines?
That was my thought when the Supra was announced. It greatly increases the aftermarket for the B58 which is great for us B58 owners!
Appreciate 1
hybris134.50

      03-08-2019, 12:27 AM   #465
supra93
Major
United_States
1057
Rep
1,378
Posts

Drives: SLK, CLK, E500, Supra, RX7
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Official Colors are now on Toyota's USA Website.

https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/gr-supra/

If you click view source, here are the color codes.

Absolute Zero White = (A96). Aka Mineral White Metallic
Nocturnal Black = (475). Aka Black Sapphire Metallic
Renaissance Red 2.0 = (A61). Aka Crimson Red
Tungsten Silver = (A83). Aka Glacier Silver Metallic
Turbulence Gray = (C2Y). Aka Bluestone Metallic
Nitro Yellow = (B21). Aka Atacama Yellow
Downshift Blue = (C10). Aka Mediterranean Blue
Phantom Matte Gray = (C3A). Not found in BMW paint code. I believe Tada san did say this was color was unique just to the Supra.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 01:36 AM   #466
jv004
First Lieutenant
193
Rep
346
Posts

Drives: F32 435i, E70 X5D
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 435i Coupe  [0.00]
It's actually not bad on looks, I think most of the hate is because of the BMW engine. Think that was a mistake on toyota's end, a big middle finger to their fanbase and sports car crowd. If they would of developed a nice engine since after 1998 then the reveal would of been much better received and more powerful. This feels more like a cash grab attempt.
__________________
Wagner Evo II FMIC /// VRSF CP // CTS Turbo CAI // Wagner Catted DP // Dinan Exhaust// GFB DV+ // H&R Super Sport Springs // BM3 Stg 2 93oct Tuned// M-performance LSD// Future PS2 Upgrade
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 12:32 PM   #467
SakhirM4
Major General
SakhirM4's Avatar
United_States
9496
Rep
8,491
Posts

Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i (coming)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jv004 View Post
It's actually not bad on looks, I think most of the hate is because of the BMW engine. Think that was a mistake on toyota's end, a big middle finger to their fanbase and sports car crowd. If they would of developed a nice engine since after 1998 then the reveal would of been much better received and more powerful. This feels more like a cash grab attempt.
McLaren put a BMW engine in the F1 and nobody complained about a middle finger to the McLaren fan base or complained about power. This is a weak argument against the new Supra.

Name:  5788308973_b271334cb1_o.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  98.6 KB

It's like all the people saying that BMW lost it's way with the F8x because it didn't have a bespoke engine. Yet the F8x has been the most successful M car to date. I think the new Supra will prove to be the same.
__________________
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 12:47 PM   #468
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3057
Rep
8,097
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
It's not like the Macca engine came out of a 750i (or any other car, for that matter) so that's a pretty weak argument.

If the Supra had an S series motor, the other half of your argument would work too, even though I do agree that the S55 lost something, even if it sold well. Camry's sell well, doesn't mean it's a car anyone lusts after.

To me, the fact that this is a BMW, built in Germany, with seemingly little to no mechanical involvement from Toyota, is the disappointment. Just a few major components without BMW part numbers on them would change my opinion greatly about this car.

Bring on the 450+ hp hybrid version and then I'll at least casually arch my eyebrows.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2019, 02:04 PM   #469
supra93
Major
United_States
1057
Rep
1,378
Posts

Drives: SLK, CLK, E500, Supra, RX7
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 05:49 PM   #470
WestRace
Captain
430
Rep
947
Posts

Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angels, Ca.

iTrader: (0)

Here is my dilemma. I currently have an E46 M3. The Supra should have very similar hp to the M3 while the M3 should offer better driving experience. Why should I sell my M3 and get the Supra? The only reason I can think of is better reliability since I am hesitant to take the M3 for a long trip.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 10:26 PM   #471
jv004
First Lieutenant
193
Rep
346
Posts

Drives: F32 435i, E70 X5D
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 435i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
McLaren put a BMW engine in the F1 and nobody complained about a middle finger to the McLaren fan base or complained about power. This is a weak argument against the new Supra.

Attachment 2005695

It's like all the people saying that BMW lost it's way with the F8x because it didn't have a bespoke engine. Yet the F8x has been the most successful M car to date. I think the new Supra will prove to be the same.
What the heck? You're comparing apples and oranges, there were only very few McLaren F1's built, and only those 1% of people could buy them. Plus different times, the internet and the media wasn't as prominent as it is now. You didn't hear the complaints as loudly as you do in today's media world.
Also I'm not saying the BMW engine is bad, BMW has been putting out great engines as of late.
__________________
Wagner Evo II FMIC /// VRSF CP // CTS Turbo CAI // Wagner Catted DP // Dinan Exhaust// GFB DV+ // H&R Super Sport Springs // BM3 Stg 2 93oct Tuned// M-performance LSD// Future PS2 Upgrade
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2019, 03:27 AM   #472
hybris
First Lieutenant
hybris's Avatar
Norway
135
Rep
389
Posts

Drives: BMW 330e F30 M-sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Norway

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
Here is my dilemma. I currently have an E46 M3. The Supra should have very similar hp to the M3 while the M3 should offer better driving experience. Why should I sell my M3 and get the Supra? The only reason I can think of is better reliability since I am hesitant to take the M3 for a long trip.
The Supra will be easily tunable way beyond the E46 M3, and why do you think a 2020 Supra (based on the BMW Z4) will be a worse driving experience than a 15 year old M3?

And you will get a brand new car (as you mention reliability). So the main negative part is the price I guess, not counting the fact that many will probably argue that the E46 M3 is a better looking car.
__________________
Thorbjorn
16 BMW F30 330e M-sport
Bootmod3 Stage2 / BMS Intake / RM Motors high flow catted downpipe & custom exhaust / BBS CH 19" / H&R Sport springs
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #473
Bluer2
Lieutenant
213
Rep
469
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: TX

iTrader: (6)

Appreciate 1
      03-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #474
hellrotm
Major General
2828
Rep
6,235
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ...Location...Location

iTrader: (0)

^
...and the current GTR and NSX are 2-3x the cost.
Appreciate 1
supra931056.50

      03-09-2019, 05:08 PM   #475
JamesNoBrakes
Lieutenant Colonel
920
Rep
1,821
Posts

Drives: 428i xdrive GC
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
^
...and the current GTR and NSX are 2-3x the cost.
And an STI only makes 310 in 2019
__________________
Dinan Shockware, Dinan F3x Swaybars, ACS Springs
Appreciate 2
supra931056.50

      03-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #476
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
pikkagtr's Avatar
United_States
2226
Rep
2,212
Posts

Drives: 2018 AW F80
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
^
...and the current GTR and NSX are 2-3x the cost.
Well the moment the Supra is released it will have sold more than all the 2g NSX to date
Appreciate 1
supra931056.50

      03-09-2019, 08:23 PM   #477
supra93
Major
United_States
1057
Rep
1,378
Posts

Drives: SLK, CLK, E500, Supra, RX7
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

That meme is still missing 5hp
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 11:56 PM   #478
QUiKSR20
Major
QUiKSR20's Avatar
United_States
195
Rep
1,166
Posts

Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer2 View Post
You realize the NSX and GTR are not even the same class of car as the Supra right?

The Supra's class and competition was : 300ZX / 3000GT / RX7

The GTR & NSX were a level above as far as class of car.
__________________
13 F30 328i Sport 6MT
95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET DET Build Thread
08 E90 328i Sport [sold]
89 E30 325is [sold & missed]
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #479
wdb
dances with roads
wdb's Avatar
United_States
1533
Rep
2,435
Posts

Drives: '07 Z4MC, '07 E93 328i
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: the perimeter

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
You realize the NSX and GTR are not even the same class of car as the Supra right?

The Supra's class and competition was : 300ZX / 3000GT / RX7

The GTR & NSX were a level above as far as class of car.
Not to mention that all Japanese hot rods made "280hp" for a very, very long time due to legal and insurance regs that forced them to under-report true output.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 08:15 AM   #480
N54Yankee
Major
N54Yankee's Avatar
United_States
1559
Rep
1,215
Posts

Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
You realize the NSX and GTR are not even the same class of car as the Supra right?

The Supra's class and competition was : 300ZX / 3000GT / RX7

The GTR & NSX were a level above as far as class of car.
And yet those two 'level above' cars had less power then the supra. Now the supra has been left far, far behind by the cars it once surpassed. I think it's a relevant point.
__________________
__________________
"The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2019, 10:02 PM   #481
QUiKSR20
Major
QUiKSR20's Avatar
United_States
195
Rep
1,166
Posts

Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Not to mention that all Japanese hot rods made "280hp" for a very, very long time due to legal and insurance regs that forced them to under-report true output.
This is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
And yet those two 'level above' cars had less power then the supra. Now the supra has been left far, far behind by the cars it once surpassed. I think it's a relevant point.
Well the NSX was more of an exotic, Horsepower wasnt its biggest feature ( It was naturally aspirated ) While the GTR was listed as 280hp that was due to a Japanese law for cars in Japan. The Supra in America was 320hp but the GTR in Japan was also known to dyno over 280WHP ( 320hp or more in reality ).
__________________
13 F30 328i Sport 6MT
95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET DET Build Thread
08 E90 328i Sport [sold]
89 E30 325is [sold & missed]
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #482
mirob
Captain
mirob's Avatar
United_States
790
Rep
841
Posts

Drives: X5 M
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bomb City, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
Here is my dilemma. I currently have an E46 M3. The Supra should have very similar hp to the M3 while the M3 should offer better driving experience. Why should I sell my M3 and get the Supra? The only reason I can think of is better reliability since I am hesitant to take the M3 for a long trip.
The MKV Supra would reap your soul in a straight line. Plus while the HP is close the torque is on another planet. I've had an E46 M3 for years and stock E9X 335i's would beat up on it. The B58 is just in another league altogether. Yeah, I've seen vids on YT suggesting otherwise.

So while the M3 looks better - subjective, the Supra will likely drive better - except steering feel. So keeping the M3 would save you money initially, which some of it you'll spend on maintenance eventually...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #483
supra93
Major
United_States
1057
Rep
1,378
Posts

Drives: SLK, CLK, E500, Supra, RX7
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Daigo Saito reveals his new 2JZ powered A90 Supra drift car

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/dai...rift-car.1679/


Appreciate 3
Red Bread3057.00
NickyC5349.00
Aeasley13.50

      03-11-2019, 02:32 PM   #484
WestRace
Captain
430
Rep
947
Posts

Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angels, Ca.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
I've had an E46 M3 for years and stock E9X 335i's would beat up on it.
They should be very close unless the 335 is tuned. The turbo may have a jump but the E46 will pull away up top.

By the way, what's the weight of the Supra?

Last edited by WestRace; 03-11-2019 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST