F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Lockdown - Christmas 2021
GetBMWParts

01-25-2022, 07:43 AM   #815
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
First hand, I'm seeing and dealing with both sides of the emotions and approach to Covid challenges. With my wider family and friends, I'm surprised who are falling over with the present situation and who seem to have the resilience to cope, even see benefits to the restrictions. I do see some evidence that the positive/negative response has a big part to play in the outcome.

Empathy is a key to understanding how different we are.
I couldn't agree more. I also think it's a function of the people around you that can influence how you approach life's challenges. But also the resources at your disposal.

My sister was diagnosed with MS when she was 28, assumed victim status almost immediately and has been defined since then by her disability. She hasn't worked since she was 30, and assumes the worst will always happen. So it does. Her partner is a waste of space, is constantly 'unwell' and hasn't worked for years. They've been on benefits for 25 years, and happy to take handouts from the rest of the family when they're on offer. Her glass is always half empty.

A good friend was diagnosed with MS when she was 34. She continued to work as PA to our Ops Director until 2 years ago when her partner retired, and the MS had become just a bit too much for full time work. She is one of the most upbeat, cheerful and positive people I know and has never let her disability define her in any way or limit her outlook. Her partner is a kind, thoughtful chap that I've known for many years, loving and supportive. They have no children, had good jobs, active social lives and are comfortably off in retirement. Her glass is always half full - perhaps even brimming over.

My father is 85. He is heathy, mentally acute and very bright. He had a long and successful career at sea and then in the oil business. He is exceptionally well off, but tight as a duck's arse. In spite of all his advantages in life, being surrounded by children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, he is one of the most negative and pessimistic people I know. A man who lives by the principles of Murphy's Law. His glass is always half empty. He and my sister are so alike it's frightening - they fought like cat & dog when I was at home, one of the reasons I moved away as soon as I could.

Both my father and sister have been quite happy in lockdown - it meant they didn't have to interact at all with the rest of the world, and could rebuff offers of help & support - reinforcement of their belief that things never go their way.
Appreciate 3
Ennoch2257.00
JD64270.50
      01-25-2022, 07:56 AM   #816
SimonBMW1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series

I agree with the comment on mental health from one user. People are worried about Jobs, seeing family etc.
For some lockdown actually adds to danger for them. Abuse victims, domestic violence etc. Lockdown doesn't let them escape.

Also the person who said its only 3 months a lockdown. it is not 3 months, their is the constant threat of lockdown that gets to people really.

After yesterday birthday bash celebrations from Boris, the government can lock down all they want. No one will follow.

Get on with lives really.
Appreciate 0