F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > On a 335i, why would someone "not" choose the sport automatic vs regular automatic?
GetBMWParts

07-11-2013, 03:00 AM   #23
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Does the Sports AT Blip the Throttle on Downshifts?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 04:44 AM   #24
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
I only notice it at higher rpms, like when I took it to the track. Under normal driving, I can't quite tell if it does, or if it's just the change in rpm.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #25
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
One thing I don't understand is what a throttle blip means for an AT. Doesn't the torque converter just decouple the flywheel and transmission when you shift? Wouldn't the engine then "catch up" to the rest of the drivetrain after? I guess I don't understand the point of rev matching in an AT.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #26
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

The torque converter remains locked at all times once the car is moving. It locks at low speed, I believe between five and ten MPH.

The transmission does not go into neutral between shifts, it simply switches gear sets.

There is no "blip" in the throttle per se other than the firmware adding precisely the amount of gas required to sustain the RPMs needed for the new gear. This has nothing to do with the shift itself. It merely makes the shifting process smoother.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #27
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
The torque converter remains locked at all times once the car is moving. It locks at low speed, I believe between five and ten MPH.

The transmission does not go into neutral between shifts, it simply switches gear sets.

There is no "blip" in the throttle per se other than the firmware adding precisely the amount of gas required to sustain the RPMs needed for the new gear. This has nothing to do with the shift itself. It merely makes the shifting process smoother.
I thought it remains locked only while you're in gear, not while you shift. Isn't this is what gives the "smooth" experience of an AT when shifting? Figured locking is for efficiency purposes. Just to be clear, my understanding of "locked" is when there is zero relative rotational speed between the flywheel and input shaft to transmission, caused by a clutch "locking mechanism."

So you are saying the only time the torque convertor is unlocked is when you're sitting there at a stop light?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #28
Elk
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
So you are saying the only time the torque convertor is unlocked is when you're sitting there at a stop light?
This is my understanding, the converter is used almost exclusively for vehicle launch and, according to ZF, can be omitted if there is a separate starting clutch.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #29
Bimmerfestool
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Why sportsAT when you cam get manual?
Well, some of us don't know how to shift a stick and... Haha just kidding. AT is the future and I switched from manual to AT because I get better performance out of an AT on a really fast car like this. You just can't shift your manual as fast as the AT does, therefore you're not getting the advertised performance of your car.

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #30
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is my understanding, the converter is used almost exclusively for vehicle launch and, according to ZF, can be omitted if there is a separate starting clutch.
Found an interesting document - http://www.zf.com/media/media/en/doc...wbis1000nm.pdf

Looks like the newer ZF torque converters have significant advances in damping technology to allow for more comfort and lower shift points. It appears also that the locking clutch is up to the user to control.

Unless you have factual evidence otherwise, I'd speculate that the lock up clutch does in fact disengage when you shift, however this period could be very small. I would further speculate that the rumored additional cooling of the Sport AT transmission allows the TCU to engage the clutch sooner after a shift - so the perception is very quick shifts in sport mode.

The time I spent recently in the 640ix, A7 and 328ix led me to believe that there was torque converter slip - the "bite" of my DCT is considerably harsher than the Zf8 (A7 has same engine). This all could change with the 2014 F30, which as you hinted towards, will allow for launch control and possibly more aggressive shifts with the hydraulic clutch. I don't see why they'd add this if the current lockup clutch could remain engaged at all times with no consequence (aside from being stopped).
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #31
Elk
Major
Rep

Quote:
Looks like the newer ZF torque converters have significant advances in damping technology to allow for more comfort and lower shift points.
Yes, to help minimize NVH at low RPM. This allows earlier lock-up at lower RPM, resulting in better fuel efficiency.

Quote:
Unless you have factual evidence otherwise, I'd speculate that the lock up clutch does in fact disengage when you shift, however this period could be very small.
There are three clutches in the transmission in addition to the torque converter.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #32
skeeny
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Speaking of low RPM, on my 2013 F30 335 with sport AT, at low RPM (for instance when I am leaving my neighborhood), I feel that the transmission is "juddery"...harsher downshifts than I would expect. Is this typical sport AT behavior? My previous car was a 2002 E46 330 with steptronic. Is this just something I need to get accustomed to, or should it not be this "unsmooth"?

Thanks.
skeeny

Quote:
Yes, to help minimize NVH at low RPM. This allows earlier lock-up at lower RPM, resulting in better fuel efficiency.

There are three clutches in the transmission in addition to the torque converter.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #33
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfestool View Post
Well, some of us don't know how to shift a stick and... Haha just kidding. AT is the future and I switched from manual to AT because I get better performance out of an AT on a really fast car like this. You just can't shift your manual as fast as the AT does, therefore you're not getting the advertised performance of your car.

actually, you're not getting the performance (advertised or not) if you are not going to the circuit and purely using the car as a grocery getter.

plus its about the emotion, and the experience, not about the fastest shift (these paddles do not equate to the emotion a 458, huayra, or any other exotic with paddles evoke!)

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #34
Bimmerfestool
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
actually, you're not getting the performance (advertised or not) if you are not going to the circuit and purely using the car as a grocery getter.

plus its about the emotion, and the experience, not about the fastest shift (these paddles do not equate to the emotion a 458, huayra, or any other exotic with paddles evoke!)

Who says I don't go get groceries like I'm on a circuit
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 12:38 AM   #35
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
One thing I don't understand is what a throttle blip means for an AT. Doesn't the torque converter just decouple the flywheel and transmission when you shift? Wouldn't the engine then "catch up" to the rest of the drivetrain after? I guess I don't understand the point of rev matching in an AT.
It makes a smooth transaction for downshifting even with an auto and it sounds awesome.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #36
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Because the vast majority of people buying an automatic barely know what a transmission does, wouldn't want to bother with the paddles, wouldn't notice the extra delay on the non-sport auto, don't want to pay extra, and perhaps might even be annoyed with more crap hanging from the steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #37
gomichaelkgo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I love resting my thumbs where the shift paddles would have gone.

I learned how to drive on a stick, but they are awful for stop and go commuting traffic.

Not all of us just drive our cars on empty canyon roads.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #38
gnosis8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
Function for changing gears:

changeGear( )
{
If(sportsAT NOT true)
{
InduceArtificialDelay(50); // in milliseconds - worth $500 to get rid of this line
}
doTheGearChangeNow( );
}
LOL that's awesome
      07-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #39
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I wonder if the PPK over rides the Sport AT programming?
The PPK makes for wicked faster shifts for sure, more aggressive, so I'm glad I didn't spend the $500 on the sport AT. Just a thought...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #40
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath
I wonder if the PPK over rides the Sport AT programming?
The PPK makes for wicked faster shifts for sure, more aggressive, so I'm glad I didn't spend the $500 on the sport AT. Just a thought...
I was thinking of the same thing .. Lol...
The shifts happen pretty fast and I was wondering if the MPPK had something to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 05:11 AM   #41
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:

Does anyone find the sound of the shift in sport setting and sport auto to be annoying? These light slams do not ake me think the car is faster, just not working as well.

Someone said on here the sound is more of a built in sound than any real advancement?

Does sport auto change 0-60 or the quarter mile. Or more marketing?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #42
citrixscu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 335i EB II

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
Function for changing gears:

changeGear( )
{
If(sportsAT NOT true)
{
InduceArtificialDelay(50); // in milliseconds - worth $500 to get rid of this line
}
doTheGearChangeNow( );
}
This is good.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #43
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
It is the exact same gearbox, just a different software.
The software makes a huge difference though. I have a loaner without the sport AT right now and the delay in shifts annoys the heck out of me.

Quote:
so true!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #44
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfestool View Post
Who says I don't go get groceries like I'm on a circuit
HA - true that.

But I'm sure you're not entering the supermarket at 150mph!
Appreciate 0