F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Car insurance - it really does take the p*ss
proTUNING Freaks

10-16-2019, 07:29 AM   #23
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Amazing how many people are happy to advocate insurance fraud on a public forum
Especially when its not too hard to work out their real name and where they come from...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 07:30 AM   #24
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I'm pretty sure they do, the government put a stop to insurance companies not paying out for modifications which didn't affect the claimed for incident. Insurance companies were taking the piss a few years ago, they even refused to pay out because a women had window stickers in her car!! But apparently all that has stopped now.
No they didnt - the Insurance Act says that you HAVE to tell your insurers everything that you know that might affect your policy and failing to gives them the right to cancel cover.

I look after insurance as part of my job - slightly more than a car as our annual premium is about £1.5m. Let me tell you, not telling your insurers something not only invalidates your cover it is fraud and you can (and should) be severely punished for it.
So if you fit black grilles and don't tell them then your insurance can be cancelled? :
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 07:44 AM   #25
MarkH13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP, SMB

Quote:
So if you fit black grilles and don't tell them then your insurance can be cancelled? :
That's just silly... Anything relevant should be declared - which would exclude grilles, but include remapping...

Not declaring something as significant as a re-map is really not worth the risk - yes, you might get away with it and save a few pounds, but in the worst case, any claim could be rejected, and future insurance cover refused, which would make it very hard to get insurance with another provider at a reasonable price.

I haven't done it myself, but many people on here say that calling the insurance company to explain the modification often leads to a much lower impact on the premium, and sometimes even standard cover being offered... Definitely worth the effort.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 07:58 AM   #26
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
yes if they show that has had an impact on the risk profile that they have insured. Cant remember the exact wording but as our broker said to me, just tell them everything honestly and you cant go wrong...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 08:00 AM   #27
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Especially when its not too hard to work out their real name and where they come from...
Oh please .. belt up lad. If The police don’t have the resources to go after someone who breaks into your house and pinches your car, do you really think they are gunna bother going after someone who posts some questionable advice about insurance on a car forum
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 08:00 AM   #28
4WDriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31/F-Type 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
I think the OP’s insurance quotes are the real Criminal offence here
This.

OP you need to get quotes from the same companies with and without the mod. Then you can see whether it is the mod giving you the once over.
Martin Lewis's MSE.com website has some ingenious and legal tricks on how to get the best prices.
Add your parents is a good start. It doesn't always work but at your age it should.
Drive or garage? Mine's cheaper in the garage, my mate 600m away saves by not garaging. Explain that please Mr Admiral
Change your job description, don't lie, but for me flight deck crew gives far better results than Pilot.
Not mentioned on MSE, but I've just sorted my 89 year old dad's insurance (he's not on mine!) and on all comparison sites I'd used, it came down by over £100 when I deleted cookies and tried again. Crooks I tell yer
Appreciate 1
Hooded1669.00
      10-16-2019, 08:04 AM   #29
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Pretty much exactly what I was quoted for a map on my 330dx with suspension as well (AC springs).
Play around with start dates (minimum 2 weeks less than that quotes go up)
Job titles make a big difference
If you're named on another car include that

Word of warning, if you try get too many quotes they'll blacklist you. Confused starting giving me no quotes at all, I emailed them and they had blocked my account. I explained I was considering mods but this was dependent on premium, they unblocked my account but didn't accept it as a valid reason for obtaining multiple quotes so said it would happened again if I started changing too many things and getting quotes in quick succession.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 08:11 AM   #30
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Oh please .. belt up lad. If The police don’t have the resources to go after someone who breaks into your house and pinches your car, do you really think they are gunna bother going after someone who posts some questionable advice about insurance on a car forum
ey up its been a while since someone called me lad...

I don't for one second think the police will investigate. However, should an insurance company wish to challenge a claim and investigate they will most definitely look for your footprint on social media and similar places such as forums to see what you have been saying.

That ok for ya, lad?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 08:12 AM   #31
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
yes if they show that has had an impact on the risk profile that they have insured. Cant remember the exact wording but as our broker said to me, just tell them everything honestly and you cant go wrong...
Well I'd like to see them try that!
Appreciate 1
Hooded1669.00
      10-16-2019, 08:18 AM   #32
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Well I'd like to see them try that!
More stealable due to changed looks mimicking a better model? who knows, but with regard to insurance if I know it then they know it!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #33
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XD

Take the map off, insure the car, get it re mappped and pay a smaller uplift for a modification being added as a lot of underwriters don’t care once your in the books - eg my car pig to insure when modified - renew with no mods call up the day later and add it, usually no problem
Appreciate 2
teaston10990.50
Hooded1669.00
      10-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #34
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
ey up its been a while since someone called me lad...

I don't for one second think the police will investigate. However, should an insurance company wish to challenge a claim and investigate they will most definitely look for your footprint on social media and similar places such as forums to see what you have been saying.

That ok for ya, lad?
‘Belt up man’ doesn’t have the same ring to it

I think some people worry too much about things that’s are really unlikely to ever happen. Sometimes You have to take a few small risks to get by in this unfair world we live in .. who dares wins and all that.

For the record I never said I haven’t declared any mods myself, my insurance quotes are much much lower and fairer than the OP’s with or without mods. Actually I never told the OP not to declare either, I simply made a passing comment replying to teaspoon that if he wasn’t the first owner of the car he could play dumb. How many people are driving around in second hand modded cars and don’t even know?

I must admit though that if my quotes were as ridiculous as the OP’s I would consider the option of playing dumb to the insurance about mods.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 09:13 AM   #35
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
How many people are driving around in second hand modded cars and don’t even know?
That is covered by the phrase "to the best of your knowledge" when you make the declaration.

I think it's a grey area and insurers can take the piss, remember them trying to charge people for using winter tyres? What a joke, they hide behind "risk" what they actually mean is "profit opportunity"

I once had a conversation with Direct line when I was insuring my 335 xdrive they wanted to add every single factory option as a modification almost doubling the premium it was the most bizarre conversation, needless to say I didn't insure with them.
      10-16-2019, 09:30 AM   #36
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
‘Belt up man’ doesn’t have the same ring to it

I think some people worry too much about things that’s are really unlikely to ever happen. Sometimes You have to take a few small risks to get by in this unfair world we live in .. who dares wins and all that.

For the record I never said I haven’t declared any mods myself, my insurance quotes are much much lower and fairer than the OP’s with or without mods. Actually I never told the OP not to declare either, I simply made a passing comment replying to teaspoon that if he wasn’t the first owner of the car he could play dumb. How many people are driving around in second hand modded cars and don’t even know?

I must admit though that if my quotes were as ridiculous as the OP’s I would consider the option of playing dumb to the insurance about mods.
I guess that, as at work I am looking at insuring assets worth millions and they are not mine, I am in the habit of trying not to use the "dumb" card as it might be employment restrictive!

Each to their own. Its all about how you were brought up....
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #37
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
I guess that, as at work I am looking at insuring assets worth millions and they are not mine, I am in the habit of trying not to use the "dumb" card as it might be employment restrictive!
Completely unrelated to simply playing dumb in knowing if the car has been modded ‘to the best of your knowledge’ when asked.
Appreciate 1
JR16641146.50
      10-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #38
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
I'm trying to find car insurance for my F31 330d xDrive. It has one modification which is an engine remap. The cheapest I can find is £810. This is for a guy with 15 years driving experience with 15 years no claims and no offences. I paid half this amount for a RWD 335i when I was 27 6 years ago. Frustratingly BMW quote £580 but won't insure if it's remapped! One big rip off.
How much did the remap add to the quote ?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 02:00 PM   #39
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

OP, you could try A-Plan Thatcham.

I'm paying less than you've been quoted, with a shed load of mods and one fault claim.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 02:16 PM   #40
N-W
oOOo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Insurance is a big minefield and a lottery.

Like you OP, I'm currently paying £950 for my insurance on the BMW. Similar circumstances to yourself too.

I got some quotes last month on a Golf R, S3 and M140i and they all came back in at £650

My renewal is Jan so I'll check again for some quotes otherwise may just get rid of the car
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 02:18 PM   #41
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1664 View Post
How much did the remap add to the quote ?
It didn't, I haven't bothered telling them. Not great but it is what it is.
Appreciate 1
teaston10990.50
      10-16-2019, 03:39 PM   #42
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

I live on a new estate. Because it’s new there is limited history so they assume a higher risk. It’s reflected in my premium. We are last house and right next door to the old estate (but different road name, no way through). If I use my neighbours post code for the old estate, all other info the same, I could save £120. Car parked three yards away.

But it is what it is. Prices work off complex models and you win some and lose some. Market has been very soft and prices low. Other insurance markets are starting to harden, if that comes to motor then we will all lose....
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 03:42 PM   #43
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they do, the government put a stop to insurance companies not paying out for modifications which didn't affect the claimed for incident. Insurance companies were taking the piss a few years ago, they even refused to pay out because a women had window stickers in her car!! But apparently all that has stopped now.
Im guessing that teaston 's remapped car that takes it to torque beyond manufacturers declared tolerances, is both technically unwarrantied and uninsured!

As he suggested, best thing he can do is keep quiet about it.......or post a picture of a 0-60 launch control of 3.9 seconds on the largest BMW forum in the UK!

Probably only declared 8,000 miles a year to BMW and the insurance companies as well. It's one thing to legally take advantages of loopholes, this is a totally different level to that......
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 03:44 PM   #44
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Quote:
Im guessing that teaston 's remapped car that takes it to torque beyond manufacturers declared tolerances, is both technically unwarranted and uninsured!

As he suggested, best thing he can do is keep quiet about it.......or post a picture of a 0-60 launch control of 3.9 seconds on the largest BMW forum in the UK!

Probably only declared 8,000 miles a year to BMW and the insurance companies as well. It's one thing to legally take advantages of loopholes, this is a totally different level to that......
Actually I have a tuning box with app control, so obviously I only turn it on when I'm not on a public road
Appreciate 1
t5pilot974.50