F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Dealer Incentivized to Finance at Higher Rate?
Extreme Powerhouse

07-07-2021, 08:18 PM   #1
M4-CPA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440xi coupe mSport

Dealer Incentivized to Finance at Higher Rate?

Just purchased a vehicle, and signed my contract at 6%. I just refinanced 3 days later at 2.75% through my credit union.

This leads to me to wonder. Are dealerships incentivized to put buyers in a higher rate, even if the buyer would typically qualify for a better rate?

If dealership are compensated for putting buyers in higher rates, are dealerships then dis-incentivized when buyers turn around and refinance their loan a week later?

I’m simply curious, I have no idea the true financial relationship that dealerships have with the banks.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 10:45 AM   #2
BMW in NE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340 xDrive

Uhhh.. yes they absolutely are. They get a kickback from the bank when they add points to your interest rate. There are laws governing how many points they can add ( I believe it used to be 3%, but I could be wrong). It pays to do your homework when it comes to getting the best interest rates!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 11:10 AM   #3
Localmotion
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 430i M Sport

Based on your refinance rate, 2.75 I'm guessing you have excellent credit.... so that dealership screwed you with 6%....

when you have excellent credit you are in control... get pre-approved from a credit union / bank before you go, so you know you rate before signing anything. really surprised you signed before knowing your options, but live and learn.
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5798.50
      07-11-2021, 12:13 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Localmotion View Post
Based on your refinance rate, 2.75 I'm guessing you have excellent credit.... so that dealership screwed you with 6%....

when you have excellent credit you are in control... get pre-approved from a credit union / bank before you go, so you know you rate before signing anything. really surprised you signed before knowing your options, but live and learn.
Pre-approval with an excellent rate often causes the dealer to match or beat the rate. Pre-approval is always worth having when walking into the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 12:34 PM   #5
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4-CPA View Post
Just purchased a vehicle, and signed my contract at 6%. I just refinanced 3 days later at 2.75% through my credit union.

This leads to me to wonder. Are dealerships incentivized to put buyers in a higher rate, even if the buyer would typically qualify for a better rate?

If dealership are compensated for putting buyers in higher rates, are dealerships then dis-incentivized when buyers turn around and refinance their loan a week later?

I’m simply curious, I have no idea the true financial relationship that dealerships have with the banks.
The practice is called the finance reserve or dealer reserve. Its why some dealers are willing to offer lower prices on the car if you go through them from financing. Best way to do it is to have financing already figured out through your bank or credit union and to treat car price negotiation and payment terms as two separate transactions. That is unless they are offering some special finance rate.

As to whether refinancing can hurt the dealer, the answer is yes. Typically the finance reserve is paid to the dealer in installments over the life of the loan and stops when you refinance.

Additionally, when financing through the dealer, there are sometimes prepayment penalties involved. Best to review terms of the loan.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 04:52 AM   #6
M4-CPA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440xi coupe mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondJayRoM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4-CPA View Post

The practice is called the finance reserve or dealer reserve. Its why some dealers are willing to offer lower prices on the car if you go through them from financing. Best way to do it is to have financing already figured out through your bank or credit union and to treat car price negotiation and payment terms as two separate transactions. That is unless they are offering some special finance rate.

As to whether refinancing can hurt the dealer, the answer is yes. Typically the finance reserve is paid to the dealer in installments over the life of the loan and stops when you refinance.

Additionally, when financing through the dealer, there are sometimes prepayment penalties involved. Best to review terms of the loan.
No prepayment penalty on my loan here in NH
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 12:55 AM   #7
jpf578
Rep
Drives: 428i

The finance office gets a percentage from the finance companies.
Appreciate 0