F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 440i - Looking for more sound after dual resonator delete
GetBMWParts

07-20-2021, 10:19 PM   #1
TheLumina
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

440i - Looking for more sound after dual resonator delete

I have a 2017 440i with a dual resonator delete, everything else stock, I just want more sound while maintaining the muffler valves.

I really like the idea of being able to tame the exhaust down with comfort and sport mode, but wouldn't mind it being louder.

I know there are downpipes but that would throw a CEL from what I've seen, and I am trying to keep the car stock (no tunes/flash).

Do I have any options if I leave the muffler and don't go catless DP?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 03:56 AM   #2
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

There are (expensive) catted downpipes with "No CEL" warranty.
It will free up some HP, and some noise but not as much as a catless.

You can also get an intake if you want more noise or a different muffler.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2021, 08:21 AM   #3
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

The advice from Mike @ xPH is to do the DP first for sound, if you want more, then do the exhaust.

I went backwards, and ended up doing both in the end. A high flow catted DP will give you a nice raspy note that you may be happy with without changing the exhaust. My Evolution Raceworks one sounds great, and I have had ZERO CEL's with it.

I did the Active Autowerkes exhaust, and out of the box, I ran into the comment you had. I didn't like how loud it was at idle and cruise since I lose the exhaust valve. Nice thing about this exhaust is the left tip is on a removable elbow, so i just chopped the valve off the OEM exhaust and welded it into the left elbow.

Now it's refined and a little louder than stock when it's closed, and sounds great once it opens up.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2021, 11:52 PM   #4
TheLumina
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
The advice from Mike @ xPH is to do the DP first for sound, if you want more, then do the exhaust.

I went backwards, and ended up doing both in the end. A high flow catted DP will give you a nice raspy note that you may be happy with without changing the exhaust. My Evolution Raceworks one sounds great, and I have had ZERO CEL's with it.

I did the Active Autowerkes exhaust, and out of the box, I ran into the comment you had. I didn't like how loud it was at idle and cruise since I lose the exhaust valve. Nice thing about this exhaust is the left tip is on a removable elbow, so i just chopped the valve off the OEM exhaust and welded it into the left elbow.

Now it's refined and a little louder than stock when it's closed, and sounds great once it opens up.
Thank you for the reply, really helps honestly. I've been looking at the CG DS-1 Catted DP and wondering if I should go with that. Doesn't seem to throw a CEL.

How loud are your cold starts? Not trying to get my house burnt down by my neighbours
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 08:43 AM   #5
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

When I started, I bought a catted VSRF DP (5", 200 CEL cat) and had the AA exhaust with no valve. Cold starts were brutal, as was part throttle exhaust noise. It's like the VSRF amplified the exhaust noise. If we parked in an open parking lot, kids opened the rear doors, the noise was deafening.

I had fitment issues with the VSRF, so they took it back and I got the ER (4" 200CEL) and put in the valve in the exhaust. If I remember, cold starts weren't too bad with that setup, but currently, I just disable them with BM3, so all is quiet!
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2021, 11:48 PM   #6
TheLumina
Rep

Quote:
When I started, I bought a catted VSRF DP (5", 200 CEL cat) and had the AA exhaust with no valve. Cold starts were brutal, as was part throttle exhaust noise. It's like the VSRF amplified the exhaust noise. If we parked in an open parking lot, kids opened the rear doors, the noise was deafening.

I had fitment issues with the VSRF, so they took it back and I got the ER (4" 200CEL) and put in the valve in the exhaust. If I remember, cold starts weren't too bad with that setup, but currently, I just disable them with BM3, so all is quiet!
Thanks again for the reply, really appreciate it. I just looked into muffler delete with resonator delete and I'm kind of in love. Only problem is that I'm worried about drone + valve. There's not too many videos on it.

Since you have had experience with the exhaust valve, if I delete the muffler is there anyway to retain the valve that closes/opens it when in comfort/sport? I know you said you just chopped it off and welded, but that's because you have a muffler still... what if I don't?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 07:10 AM   #7
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLumina View Post
Since you have had experience with the exhaust valve, if I delete the muffler is there anyway to retain the valve that closes/opens it when in comfort/sport? I know you said you just chopped it off and welded, but that's because you have a muffler still... what if I don't?
If you have no muffler... There is no point of having a valve.
It is going to be loud. And no resonator means drone noise.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2021, 07:31 AM   #8
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Muffler delete is going to be obnoxious and drone. The valve in the OEM muffler closes one tip to stop any resonance in the muffler that makes the exhaust note louder. No muffler, no valve.

There are several people in my neighborhood that have done this. Maybe inside the car it sounds ok, but from the people you are driving by, it sounds like ****. Its just untamed noise at this point.
Appreciate 2
      07-26-2021, 09:46 AM   #9
TheLumina
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frchdragon View Post
If you have no muffler... There is no point of having a valve.
It is going to be loud. And no resonator means drone noise.
Quote:
Muffler delete is going to be obnoxious and drone. The valve in the OEM muffler closes one tip to stop any resonance in the muffler that makes the exhaust note louder. No muffler, no valve.

There are several people in my neighborhood that have done this. Maybe inside the car it sounds ok, but from the people you are driving by, it sounds like ****. Its just untamed noise at this point.
Honestly I think you guys are right… the car might be loud enough as it is already without the muffler delete. I’ve never had a chance to listen to the car from the outside while driving, I feel like the in-cabin is really isolated and BMW did a great job to reduce the exhaust sound on the inside, which tricks me into thinking it’s super quiet. Thank you guys for the input, I’ll keep looking for options. At this point I might get an axle back instead, but will keep searching.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 06:40 PM   #10
cray101
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
I have a 2017 440i with a dual resonator delete, everything else stock, I just want more sound while maintaining the muffler valves.

I really like the idea of being able to tame the exhaust down with comfort and sport mode, but wouldn't mind it being louder.

I know there are downpipes but that would throw a CEL from what I've seen, and I am trying to keep the car stock (no tunes/flash).

Do I have any options if I leave the muffler and don't go catless DP?
Mind posting a clip of how it sounds with the dual res delete?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 07:45 PM   #11
TheLumina
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cray101 View Post
Unfortunately don't have too many clips of it but here's a cold start inside garage: https://streamable.com/bpoxbn

light revs in parking lot: https://streamable.com/inmvim

aggressive revs after start: https://streamable.com/9q9e8z

It's more loud in person to be honest, but nothing crazy
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 08:37 PM   #12
cray101
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cray101 View Post
Unfortunately don't have too many clips of it but here's a cold start inside garage: https://streamable.com/bpoxbn

light revs in parking lot: https://streamable.com/inmvim

aggressive revs after start: https://streamable.com/9q9e8z

It's more loud in person to be honest, but nothing crazy
Sounds pretty good. Thanks for the clips! I'm full stock exhaust and I was considering doing a resonator delete, but I think I'm going to go with an axleback first
Appreciate 0