F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 3G Discontinuation Notice
Studio RSR

06-29-2021, 04:05 PM   #221
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

Just back from the dealer after the free upgrade ($600 hw unit in the roof plus ISTA update that took me to step F020-21-03-545, as my trial plan showed).

I used MHD to check/verify that my DME wasn’t locked in the lot. Lol. As advised, my DME variant wasn’t.
Then did a quick bit of BimmerLink (check/clear codes, open flap) and a couple essential BimmerCode tweaks (mainly the B&O extended DSP) for the drive home since I was connected already…

Flashed back to my MHD tune upon arrival home. Went through my full BimmerCode mods, and noticed stuff had gone away, some added, some rearranged. I knew some stuff would be gone, but so far it’s okay.

Haven’t dug into any Telematics features/settings - yet - to see what’s different…

One last tidbit, you might recall that in my trial hookup, ISTA immediately flagged my car as ‘likely tuned’. I guessed it was due my flasher counter exceeded the count value ISTA had for my VIN. So this time I set my counter to the proper Fkssh counter value. Well ISTA flagged me again anyway. So be aware their little AI scan module is way smarter than that… lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 05:59 PM   #222
gnolivos
Captain
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

To the person earlier stating that only voice services are affected by the service cutoff, be aware that there is at least the possibility that bmw will not allow us to subscribe to connected services UNLESS the free upgrade has been done on the vehicle. In which case it's a moot point whether only voice is affected…. We wouldn't be able to use other connected services without the subscription, even if the car was still capable of delivering such services.
      06-29-2021, 06:24 PM   #223
tardboi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateeko View Post
Hello all. I just registered to join this thread as I'm moving (have been in a city where my poor 2014 335xi/F30 w/HUD and now expired real time traffic/etc have been idle for the last 6-7 months) and will be driving my car again on the regular. I was setting up the MyBMW app and then found out I can't renew traffic or connected drive services and have spent the last half hour trying to figure out what is what.

I apologize sincerely for the stupid question, but given that my car was manufactured in April of 2014 but my services (save remote unlock, ventilation, location, etc) are expired is there no way forward for me? I don't often use the real time services but love the HUD and Spotify has long since not worked through the car despite it being always listed (maybe my Connected drive subscription lapsed?).

I originally purchased the vehicle as a CPO in 2015 and am well out of warranty and happy to do retrofits myself (provided they are not too intensive) but obviously if there is a way to get the vehicle upgraded (fee or not) to 4G through BMW proper that would be the preferable route.
I can't help you with a permanent fix, but I did contact BMW and they gave me connected drive services thru 2/22 for free (I was a paid subscriber previously)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 08:56 PM   #224
JoeColorado
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435xi GC

Angry Not a happy camper

With the letter I received, BMW stated that there is no replacement

Quote:
There are important ConnectedDrive service changes affecting your 2015 4 Series, Vehicle Identification Number ending in xxxx.
The decision to phase out 3G network technology was made at the discretion of the respective cellular carriers and lies beyond the control of BMW.
As a result of the sunset of 3G service by wireless carrier partners, by February 2022 your vehicle will no longer be able to receive any ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services, such as BMW Assist eCall, Advanced Real Time Traffic Information, Remote Services and BMW Online, depending on your BMW model.
Unfortunately, for your vehicle, there is not a technology upgrade available that would allow you to continue to use ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services after the expiration of your contract, or February 2022, whichever occurs first.
For more details, please refer to the 3G Cellular Technology Discontinuation Frequently Asked Questions or contact BMW Customer Relations at 800 831 1117.
To me this sounds like the app will also not function any more. When calling customer care I was told that the Bluetooth will continue to work.... Excuse me?
I mean this is a 6 year old car, but it may have communication technology from the stone age. In addition I do not see that BMW is seriously interested to upgrade the car, either for free or for a fee. It is not a good time to buy a new vehicle.

Does anybody have found alternatives for a 2015 435i apart of a class action lawsuit?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 09:42 PM   #225
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Stole this from another thread, it might be useful to some of you guys:

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-07-2021, 02:52 AM   #226
JoeColorado
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

That would be terrific, if there it's a solution that they are holding back. I would love to see if someone with the same message from BMW found a solution anyway, maybe just by insisting. I called customer care today and they told me that for my vehicle (based on VIN), no solution is available
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 06:53 AM   #227
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeColorado View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

That would be terrific, if there it's a solution that they are holding back. I would love to see if someone with the same message from BMW found a solution anyway, maybe just by insisting. I called customer care today and they told me that for my vehicle (based on VIN), no solution is available

Unfortunately, any vehicle running a current 3G connection cannot just be upgraded to 4G LTE without first changing the entire hard drive to at least iDrive 4 EVO and above.

This upgrade BMW is offering is only applicable to vehicles which are already running an earlier version 4G LTE.

So, think of this upgrade as like swapping the internet modem in your home for a more faster unit, however, it does not change your home computer's overall operation which it is actually capable of - or its lack thereof.

TL: DR Current BMW iDrive 3G owners are unfortunately SOL when it comes to this fixing this issue. Other manufacturers are offering alternative options for 3G customer, such as enabling their factory device to accept an outside internet hotspot connection (FORD) but thus far, BMW has not offer any option to upgrade to current 3G customers.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 11:38 AM   #228
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
So...my car is 4G, so all the above doesn't really apply to me...but maybe someone would know.

I went to renew my subscriptions, but it presents me with only one option, the "Core" services. Granted, that's the stuff I'm really the most interested in, but I don't seem to have the ability to renew services such as real time traffic info, automatic map updates, etc. Anyone else have this issue? 2017 330i with the professional navigation system.

^ This is the only renewal option

^ These are all the features I have activated currently

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 02:21 PM   #229
im_an_alien
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Just called two separate and unrelated dealers (one of them a high volume dealer) about this, and neither of them seemed to know wtf I was talking about. I'd figured this fix has been out for a while and most if not all dealers have tackled it but guess not. I have a DP on order and looking to go stage 2 so I want to get this fix+update out of the way. At this point I don't care if they lock the dme or not, I can deal with that. The TIS procedure requires the headliner to be dropped however the module can be replaced by just removing C pillars and 3rd brake light, and I'm sure that a tech who has done several would be able to do it quicker and with minimal invasion. I'm not excited about taking it to a dealer who hasn't done a single one yet, but oh well...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 10:42 PM   #230
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
With the letter I received, BMW stated that there is no replacement

To me this sounds like the app will also not function any more. When calling customer care I was told that the Bluetooth will continue to work.... Excuse me?
I mean this is a 6 year old car, but it may have communication technology from the stone age. In addition I do not see that BMW is seriously interested to upgrade the car, either for free or for a fee. It is not a good time to buy a new vehicle.

Does anybody have found alternatives for a 2015 435i apart of a class action lawsuit?
Either android box with CarPlay ~$300 or manual upgrade: $700 for 4G ATM + ~$2000 for NBT EVO.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 11:40 PM   #231
JoeColorado
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolianovskyi View Post
Either android box with CarPlay ~$300 or manual upgrade: $700 for 4G ATM + ~$2000 for NBT EVO.
You come up with solutions, but why does BMW dragging their feet? It does devalue the car and reduces resale options
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 03:06 AM   #232
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You come up with solutions, but why does BMW dragging their feet? It does devalue the car and reduces resale options
Actually it does not. I would say 99% of pre-owned market buyers do not care or check if a car has those fancy bells and whistlers. And even then, a car still able to proudly demonstrate navigation and build routes.

It does make a sense if you call it as a car would not be able to give an emergency call and transmit location where it is, so rescue services can't exactly determine a location and a driver might not be able to call for urgent death or life help. And even then, I do not know if all other cars and models on at US market have this option and whether it is a law or legal requirement for a car to have that sos option in order being able to be selling in the US.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 07:27 AM   #233
im_an_alien
Major
Rep

Just dropped my 2016 off, part arrives tomorrow and I could have the car back by then. Now to wait and see if they lock it...
Edit: a bit if intel from the dealer...if you have a trunk mounted combox it's backordered close to a month out so don't expect a quick turnaround.

Last edited by im_an_alien; 07-19-2021 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 11:01 AM   #234
2017F30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 330iX AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnf30x View Post
So...my car is 4G, so all the above doesn't really apply to me...but maybe someone would know.

I went to renew my subscriptions, but it presents me with only one option, the "Core" services. Granted, that's the stuff I'm really the most interested in, but I don't seem to have the ability to renew services such as real time traffic info, automatic map updates, etc. Anyone else have this issue? 2017 330i with the professional navigation system.

^ This is the only renewal option

^ These are all the features I have activated currently
With our vehicles being so similar where did you verify 4G connectivity?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 07:06 PM   #235
im_an_alien
Major
Rep

Got the car back, thankfully was able to flash MHD successfully. Part 8410 9843 931 was installed plus the software update. I haven't hooked up ISTA or e-sys yet to see what the i-step was updated to. Now to start redoing my coding and get Dinan shockware reinstalled.
Phew....

Last edited by im_an_alien; 07-20-2021 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
visionaut1302.50
      07-23-2021, 04:13 PM   #236
ss_burns
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335ix GT

Garage List
nob question - I just recently picked up a 2016 335i GT.. how would I be able to identify if my car would be eligible for upgrading or not?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 06:45 PM   #237
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_burns View Post
nob question - I just recently picked up a 2016 335i GT.. how would I be able to identify if my car would be eligible for upgrading or not?
If your build is before July 2016, and your car currently displays 4G on the head unit (iDrive 4 or 5), AND you have a current ConnectedDrive services contract, then you’re likely eligible.

Do you currently have any ConnectedDrive services active? Contact ConnectedDrive services with the VIN to see if the PO carried any, if it’s transferable… Or just see what ConnectedDrive services are shown as offered for your car - it might cite eligibility.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 08:52 PM   #238
odessa91
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F36, E84, E30

Quote:
Call BMW NA, provide your VIN #, you do not need to have a current ConnectedDrive services contract to be eligible for 3G to 4G upgrade if your car qualified
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 09:04 AM   #239
ss_burns
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
If your build is before July 2016, and your car currently displays 4G on the head unit (iDrive 4 or 5), AND you have a current ConnectedDrive services contract, then you’re likely eligible.

Do you currently have any ConnectedDrive services active? Contact ConnectedDrive services with the VIN to see if the PO carried any, if it’s transferable… Or just see what ConnectedDrive services are shown as offered for your car - it might cite eligibility.

I don't see anyplace that displays which cellular ver I have. Car didn't have ConnectedDrive services when I got it - believe it must have been sitting in limbo for a year or two. Build Date best I've found is 10/7/2015. If I've looked at this correctly I have the ID4 NBT Evo? I did call BMW and they said I couldn't get the service but didn't mention whether I could get the hardware upgrade or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 09:14 AM   #240
im_an_alien
Major
Rep

Quote:
I don't see anyplace that displays which cellular ver I have. Car didn't have ConnectedDrive services when I got it - believe it must have been sitting in limbo for a year or two. Build Date best I've found is 10/7/2015. If I've looked at this correctly I have the ID4 NBT Evo? I did call BMW and they said I couldn't get the service but didn't mention whether I could get the hardware upgrade or not.
I have a 10/15 production date and just got the update. You should have id4. Call the folks at BMW genius, using your vin they can determine your eligibility. Dealers have access to this info too.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 09:26 AM   #241
ss_burns
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
I have a 10/15 production date and just got the update. You should have id4. Call the folks at BMW genius, using your vin they can determine your eligibility. Dealers have access to this info too.

excellent.. I'll give them a call next, then. tnx!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 06:18 PM   #242
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post

Post a picture of your home menu. Folks here would be able to determine what it is.
Appreciate 0