F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Upgraded clutch
proTUNING Freaks

03-03-2020, 07:27 AM   #23
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
Just did a first drive after the 335is/550i clutch was installed. The feel is quite different. I stalled it when it was first dropped off lol. The friction zone is much smaller with a lot more bite on the initial grab. Feels like it's lower in the clutch pedal as well. My 1-2 shifts are hella jerky until I can figure this thing out lol.

However, I can already tell it's way stronger. No more slipping in 4th - 6th on the highway at WOT.
New clutch disk (thicker) + stiffer pressure plate = more gas early. Same when shifting. I got used to adding more gas on the 1-2 shift and now it's smooth. No jerkiness at all.

I also almost stalled coming out of my driveway lol. I did not expect it to grab so early.

I did break in for 1 tank of gas (~350 miles). I only did city miles for the first 100 and you could feel the clutch change drastically. After that, it's been pretty much the same and feels like stock now. Just drive around town for an hour or two from stop light to stop light and it'll break in quickly. Highway cruising miles are your enemy.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
G.Newt810.50
      03-03-2020, 10:09 PM   #24
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
New clutch disk (thicker) + stiffer pressure plate = more gas early. Same when shifting. I got used to adding more gas on the 1-2 shift and now it's smooth. No jerkiness at all.

I also almost stalled coming out of my driveway lol. I did not expect it to grab so early.

I did break in for 1 tank of gas (~350 miles). I only did city miles for the first 100 and you could feel the clutch change drastically. After that, it's been pretty much the same and feels like stock now. Just drive around town for an hour or two from stop light to stop light and it'll break in quickly. Highway cruising miles are your enemy.
*Insert Denzel my ni*** meme from Training Day*
You always coming clutch bro lol. I had a dinner date last night and had to tell her beforehand: "Hey, sorry, new clutch so expect some not smooth moments."
Really appreciate that anecdote. Like I need an excuse to drive it around town more haha.
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      03-14-2020, 06:25 AM   #25
bigl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911

For those that upgraded to 335/550 clutch. Was coding necessary? Do you swap out flywheel?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 06:47 AM   #26
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigl View Post
For those that upgraded to 335/550 clutch. Was coding necessary? Do you swap out flywheel?
no
no
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 11:18 AM   #27
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_SixSpeed View Post
I run 550i clutch upgrade on PS2 turbo @21-22 psi and grabs hard. Drives like stocker too just slightly stiffer which I love. Highly recommended.
I know the threads pretty old but hoping you can help me with a few questions. Do you remember the part number for the 550i clutch? Did you go with the LUK or bmw one? I have been following your setup for awhile as I have the same setup as you. My clutch and dmfw have 56k miles and no issues. But I'm only running the mhd ots map for the ps2 so in the 450hp area. I plan on getting a custom e50 or so tune and twisted tuning recommend swapping my clutch beforehand. Did you tune your car on the stock clutch first or preemptively upgrade to the 550i clutch? Also did you reuse your factory dmfw or replaced it with new when doing your clutch?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 01:46 PM   #28
G.Newt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowenpuref3p View Post
I know the threads pretty old but hoping you can help me with a few questions. Do you remember the part number for the 550i clutch? Did you go with the LUK or bmw one? I have been following your setup for awhile as I have the same setup as you. My clutch and dmfw have 56k miles and no issues. But I'm only running the mhd ots map for the ps2 so in the 450hp area. I plan on getting a custom e50 or so tune and twisted tuning recommend swapping my clutch beforehand. Did you tune your car on the stock clutch first or preemptively upgrade to the 550i clutch? Also did you reuse your factory dmfw or replaced it with new when doing your clutch?
realoem.com, put in any production date 335is, then go to the clutch section.
LuK is the OEM, so you'll save money by not paying for BMW labelling.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2

Last edited by G.Newt; 11-30-2020 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 02:16 PM   #29
luca10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
I run 550i clutch upgrade on PS2 turbo @21-22 psi and grabs hard. Drives like stocker too just slightly stiffer which I love. Highly recommended.
I just installed the 550i clutch about a week ago, still breaking it in with city driving/light highway driving so I can't give you a review yet on how it holds. I was on an e50 custom map and it started slipping after maybe 1-2 months of that map.

Still at about 175 miles, will wait to maybe 250miles and will then really test it out. But I bought mine off of fcp euro for like $270 I think, LuK brand
      11-30-2020, 04:04 PM   #30
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca10 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I just installed the 550i clutch about a week ago, still breaking it in with city driving/light highway driving so I can't give you a review yet on how it holds. I was on an e50 custom map and it started slipping after maybe 1-2 months of that map.

Still at about 175 miles, will wait to maybe 250miles and will then really test it out. But I bought mine off of fcp euro for like $270 I think, LuK brand
I have 56k miles on my stock clutch and that was with mhd stg2+ e30 for the last 20k miles. I just installed a pure stg2 turbo and have maybe 300 miles on the mhd ots ps2 map and I still have no slipping. But I'm talking to twisted tuning about building a custom ethanol tune for my setup and they recommend upgrading my clutch before hand even though I experience no slip now. I'm probably going to preemptively install the 550i clutch but was hoping someone has pushed the stock clutch to the 500hp area like I will be with the custom ps2 ethanol tune. As I just went through the nightmare of installing my ps2 and I was hoping to get it tuned and ready to go before I tear it apart again to do a clutch. But twisted has a ton of experience with the tuning similar builds I'm if he thinks it will slip on the dyno he is probably right. Just bummed I have to do another major install so soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 04:12 PM   #31
luca10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have 56k miles on my stock clutch and that was with mhd stg2+ e30 for the last 20k miles. I just installed a pure stg2 turbo and have maybe 300 miles on the mhd ots ps2 map and I still have no slipping. But I'm talking to twisted tuning about building a custom ethanol tune for my setup and they recommend upgrading my clutch before hand even though I experience no slip now. I'm probably going to preemptively install the 550i clutch but was hoping someone has pushed the stock clutch to the 500hp area like I will be with the custom ps2 ethanol tune. As I just went through the nightmare of installing my ps2 and I was hoping to get it tuned and ready to go before I tear it apart again to do a clutch. But twisted has a ton of experience with the tuning similar builds I'm if he thinks it will slip on the dyno he is probably right. Just bummed I have to do another major install so soon.
I mean you can try. I have 25k miles on my car, maybe 15k with stage 2 then 3k with stage2+ e30 mhd and now maybe 500 miles with the custom e50 tune and it started slipping. It was also a Constant slip to the point where every 3rd or 4rd gear log I tried to do would slip. I think above 3700rpm is was fine but I'm installing a GC turbo next week which means more power and more revisions needed so of course I upgrade. It was about a 5hr i job I believe but it will be worth it.

Typically I heard stock clutch handling stock turbos stage 2 but some people slip at stage 2+ with e30 or custom e85 maps and some people don't. I think it varies but with that mileage and that power, I'd recommend changing it out as well before you run into the clutch slipping during revisions for twisted because then you will probably have to pause the revisions until you replace the clutch.
      11-30-2020, 06:38 PM   #32
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I mean you can try. I have 25k miles on my car, maybe 15k with stage 2 then 3k with stage2+ e30 mhd and now maybe 500 miles with the custom e50 tune and it started slipping. It was also a Constant slip to the point where every 3rd or 4rd gear log I tried to do would slip. I think above 3700rpm is was fine but I'm installing a GC turbo next week which means more power and more revisions needed so of course I upgrade. It was about a 5hr i job I believe but it will be worth it.

Typically I heard stock clutch handling stock turbos stage 2 but some people slip at stage 2+ with e30 or custom e85 maps and some people don't. I think it varies but with that mileage and that power, I'd recommend changing it out as well before you run into the clutch slipping during revisions for twisted because then you will probably have to pause the revisions until you replace the clutch.
Yeah that's exactly what I was afraid of as I'm working on my custom tune. If it starts slipping during the tuning process we would have to stop and wait for me to do the clutch. So I guess I don't really have much choice and need a new clutch prior to getting it tuned. Ughhhh I'm assuming it will be an easier install then the turbo swap was because that was not a fun install. At least I have my own lift but I need to buy a lift hydraulic tranny jack.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 06:57 PM   #33
luca10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah that's exactly what I was afraid of as I'm working on my custom tune. If it starts slipping during the tuning process we would have to stop and wait for me to do the clutch. So I guess I don't really have much choice and need a new clutch prior to getting it tuned. Ughhhh I'm assuming it will be an easier install then the turbo swap was because that was not a fun install. At least I have my own lift but I need to buy a lift hydraulic tranny jack.
Exactly you don't want to run into that problem, it's better to get it out of the way now. And I'm not sure about the process, I had it done by a shop but it's not easy, takes time. Good luck with it!
      12-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #34
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

luca10 Bowenpuref3p you guys have 2 different cars. both came with the same clutch, but stage 2+e30 on luca10 340 puts out more torque than the same map on Bowenpuref3p 335i. if you read F30_SixSpeed thread you'll see he started slipping as he was going through revisions with an upgraded hpfp.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...h#post23952464
Appreciate 1
luca10100.50
      12-07-2020, 02:14 PM   #35
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
luca10 Bowenpuref3p you guys have 2 different cars. both came with the same clutch, but stage 2+e30 on luca10 340 puts out more torque than the same map on Bowenpuref3p 335i. if you read F30_SixSpeed thread you'll see he started slipping as he was going through revisions with an upgraded hpfp.

I'm running a pure stg2 turbo and have a dorch stg2 hpfp so I'm not on the stock turbo anymore. I'm planning on a e50+ tune at over 500whp. I was just seeing if anyone has run this setup with a custom tune while still on the stock clutch. As my tuner recommends I change the clutch before we begin tuning with ethanol even if I experience no clutch slip now on the mhd ots ps2 map.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 02:15 PM   #36
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Sorry I misunderstood your post and just realized you linked someone with a ps2 and clutch slip issues after adding an upgraded hpfp to his ps2. So appreciate the input.
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      12-08-2020, 04:28 PM   #37
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm about to order the same clutch you run the 550i for my ps2 n55. Does it bolt up to our stock dmfw and if so did you reuse your stock dmfw or replace with new dmfw?
Also the 550i clutch kit from ecs did it include the shift fork, throw out bearing and pilot bearing?
Lastly did you upgrade the plastic clutch pivot with an upgraded brass version?
I understand this post is over a year old but I'm ready to order now and hopefully you see this post. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 08:26 AM   #38
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
I'm about to order the same clutch you run the 550i for my ps2 n55. Does it bolt up to our stock dmfw and if so did you reuse your stock dmfw or replace with new dmfw?
Also the 550i clutch kit from ecs did it include the shift fork, throw out bearing and pilot bearing?
I understand this post is over a year old but I'm ready to order now and hopefully you see this post. Thanks in advance.
you can reused the stock dmfw. All i did in mine was replace the clutch kit and left the throwout/pilot bearing alone. Unless your car is high mileage I wouldn't worry about it.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2020, 09:51 AM   #39
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
you can reused the stock dmfw. All i did in mine was replace the clutch kit and left the throwout/pilot bearing alone. Unless your car is high mileage I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks for the reply. I ordered the 550i clutch and I'm going to order a new dmfw and return it if mine looks ok once I remove the transmission. I'm only at 56k miles and the stock clutch doesn't slip but I just upgraded to a ps2 and I was told soon as I get a custom ethanol tune that it won't hold anymore since I'll be making 500+ whp/tq So I'm upgrading before hand.
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      12-11-2020, 09:53 AM   #40
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I ordered the 550i clutch and I'm going to order a new dmfw and return it if mine looks ok once I remove the transmission. I'm only at 56k miles and the stock clutch doesn't slip but I just upgraded to a ps2 and I was told soon as I get a custom ethanol tune that it won't hold anymore since I'll be making 500+ whp/tq So I'm upgrading before hand.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 09:08 PM   #41
G.Newt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Shouldn't need a new DMFW, and those things ain't cheap! lol.
You'll also need the pressure plate bolts, spring clip, and a new fork pivot pin wouldn't hurt.

I'm making 515 wtq and it's holding up just fine.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2020, 09:15 PM   #42
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You'll also need the pressure plate bolts, spring clip, and a new fork pivot pin wouldn't hurt.

Sweet I ordered all those extras but I didn't know about needing to replace the pressure plate bolts. Did they come with the clutch kit? if not I'll add that to the order from FCP.
I ordered the 550i clutch kit, brass clutch fork pivot, new bell housing bolts and a new clutch slave cylinder so I can delete the cdc while I'm in there. I still think I'll probably put a new dmfw in just because I don't want to do the job twice. Unless it really looks mint once I can see it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 10:09 AM   #43
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

When you say spring clip are you referring to the one that works with the clutch fork pivot? Is this it? I have a new brass pivot but not the spring clip so if this is what your talking about I'll buy one of those as well as they sell just the clip separate if needed.
https://www.bimmerworld.com/Drivelin...waAt9zEALw_wcB
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 02:42 PM   #44
G.Newt
Major
Rep

Quote:
When you say spring clip are you referring to the one that works with the clutch fork pivot? Is this it? I have a new brass pivot but not the spring clip so if this is what your talking about I'll buy one of those as well as they sell just the clip separate if needed.
https://www.bimmerworld.com/Drivelin...waAt9zEALw_wcB
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=21_0227

And that looks to be it.
Appreciate 1