F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Leak by drivers wheel well?
GetBMWParts

07-24-2021, 07:04 PM   #1
bloodline129
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xdrive

Leak by drivers wheel well?

I noticed a leak under my ride the other day. At first I thought it was oil but it didn't smell like it.

After moving the wheel I realized that the leak was getting worse at full lock, that lead me to think it's power steering fluid? But I was under assumption we have electronic steering?

I surely can't find a power steering fluid reservoir… any suggestions on what it could be?

Also now few days later I've tried to see if it's still leaking and I can't find anything…

https://youtube.com/shorts/Tjec8q2PAZ8?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 10:02 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It looks like oil. You can't go by the smell, synthetic lubricants don't smell like mineral oil. It's not power steering fluid, the car doesn't use it.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 02:13 AM   #3
bloodline129
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I thought so to, but the "oil" that dripped there didn't match the oil from the oil cap. It was darker and as mentioned it also smelled different.

There's gotta be some type or lubricant running to power steering no? I'm taking it to the dealer on Tuesday as I still got extended warranty left. Keep you posted
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 05:22 AM   #4
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline129 View Post
I thought so to, but the "oil" that dripped there didn't match the oil from the oil cap. It was darker and as mentioned it also smelled different.

There's gotta be some type or lubricant running to power steering no? I'm taking it to the dealer on Tuesday as I still got extended warranty left. Keep you posted
Only lubricant used for the EPS unit is grease.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2021, 08:05 AM   #5
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Could be the fluid from the hydro bushing on the upper control arm. That's what mine was. Took me forever to find it because I thought it was a fluid leak too. It'll look like this:
[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

07-25-2021, 06:08 PM   #6
bloodline129
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thank you for the input all. Dropping it of on Tuesday.
Of course this is all happening while I need to move… good times.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 10:05 PM   #7
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

That's about as dark as motor oil and that's a pretty bad leak. Definitely worth taking it in if you don't have time to look yourself. I would expect ATF or gear oil to be a little lighter.
      07-25-2021, 10:29 PM   #8
bloodline129
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE82 View Post
That's about as dark as motor oil and that's a pretty bad leak. Definitely worth taking it in if you don't have time to look yourself. I would expect ATF or gear oil to be a little lighter.
I thought the same thing. But the color doesn't match what's in my engine. It's darker than my oil (to a naked eye)

Not to mention it's not leaking anymore. So I think the gentleman who mention the hybrid bushing may be right. It all leaked out and now it doesn't drip anymore?

I guess let's see what the dealer says on Tuesday
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 11:04 PM   #9
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Quote:
I thought the same thing. But the color doesn't match what's in my engine. It's darker than my oil (to a naked eye)

Not to mention it's not leaking anymore. So I think the gentleman who mention the hybrid bushing may be right. It all leaked out and now it doesn't drip anymore?

Are you comparing to oil direct from your engine or the bottle? Oil goes dark quickly so it will not match what's in the bottle for very long.
      07-26-2021, 12:55 AM   #10
bloodline129
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are you comparing to oil direct from your engine or the bottle? Oil goes dark quickly so it will not match what's in the bottle for very long.
Oil cap from top of engine (since we don't have a dipstick &#129402
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 07:40 PM   #11
bloodline129
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
Could be the fluid from the hydro bushing on the upper control arm. That's what mine was. Took me forever to find it because I thought it was a fluid leak too. It'll look like this:
[IMG][/IMG]
This was it. Hydro bushings on the control arm / they are replacing both of them - that tells me the other side went already long ago and I didn't know. Or they doing what is right and replacing both at the same time.

As it's through extended warranty, I believe it's the prior lol.

Thank you everyone.
Appreciate 1
WDE82814.50
      07-27-2021, 07:42 PM   #12
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]
This was it. Hydro bushings on the control arm / they are replacing both of them - that tells me the other side went already long ago and I didn't know. Or they doing what is right and replacing both at the same time.

Thank you everyone.
You'll be amazed how much tighter your car is going to feel when you get it back. It's fantastic. Glad it got sorted and that they are replacing both.
      07-27-2021, 11:31 PM   #13
bloodline129
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

Thank you everyone.
You'll be amazed how much tighter your car is going to feel when you get it back. It's fantastic. Glad it got sorted and that they are replacing both.
Since I got the car my commute has been 12km combined from work n back. Can't say I noticed anything to be honest.

If I didn't catch that leak I would have never known I'm pretty sure.
Especially is the passenger side was already done for when I got the car and I just wasn't aware.

I'm excited to see it tomorrow now 💪🏻
Appreciate 0