F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > All doors locked
proTUNING Freaks

05-12-2023, 08:10 AM   #1
andyhunter28
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i 2012

All doors locked

Hi I know this is a common problem but I can’t seem to find anyone with exactly the same fault as me. So my 2012 320i is having serious door lock issues. So to start with, all my doors are in the locked position the only door that will unlock is by using my physical key on my drivers door. Once I get inside there is no response from the central button. I pull the handles of the other doors and as soon as the handle is released the button goes straight back down and the door remains locked. If I get out of the car and press the lock button on my fob it then locks the drivers door and activates the alarm. If I press unlock on the fob it deactivates the alarm but all doors stay locked and I have to manually unlock the door. I have checked the fuses 22,104,150 and 163 as per my fuse map says that relates to door locks. I have seen a lot of posts saying door actuators are no good in these cars, but it seems strange that all doors have gone at the same time? Can anyone recommend anything before I take it in and get charged the earth for new actuators? TIA
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 08:36 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Well, it's not that strange

Both front door actuators on my 2015 435 Coupe with only 40K miles on her starting going bad at the same time, not unlocking intermittently. At one point the DS would not function at all & couldn't get the door open from either the inside or the outside & had to climb over the console to get out PS...

I replaced both actuators with new OEM & all has been fine since

So it CAN happen simultaneously on (2) doors - can it happen on (4) = maybe

Purchased the actuators from Tischer BMW & DIY install. It's not that difficult, just tedious as you have to obviously remove the door panels. It's tight inside the door but I was able to maneuver the old one's Out & the new one's In without disturbing the window glass tracks (at least on a coupe I could)
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2023, 08:44 AM   #3
andyhunter28
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the response, it looks like actuators might be the only solution but the doors never failed before even intermittently, so just seems strange for all 4 to go at exactly the same time
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 07:20 AM   #4
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Well, it's not that strange

Both front door actuators on my 2015 435 Coupe with only 40K miles on her starting going bad at the same time, not unlocking intermittently. At one point the DS would not function at all & couldn't get the door open from either the inside or the outside & had to climb over the console to get out PS...

I replaced both actuators with new OEM & all has been fine since

So it CAN happen simultaneously on (2) doors - can it happen on (4) = maybe

Purchased the actuators from Tischer BMW & DIY install. It's not that difficult, just tedious as you have to obviously remove the door panels. It's tight inside the door but I was able to maneuver the old one's Out & the new one's In without disturbing the window glass tracks (at least on a coupe I could)
I need to replace mine. My dealer couldn't duplicate the problem.

Did you just wing it or was there a DIY you followed?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 04:59 AM   #5
andyhunter28
Registered
Rep

So an update for anyone else struggling with this problem, it’s now fixed and all my doors are working as normal! So it did turn out to be a fuse… but one not shown on the fuse diagram anywhere. It was located not behind the glovebox but the panel beneath it on the passenger door side, there was a 20A fuse that had blown. I replaced this with a new one and everything works as normal. If all locks go at the same time it’s more than likely a fuse.. very unlikely all actuators have gone at the same time so before forking out for new actuators ensure you’ve checked all the fuses (even ones not on the fuse diagram!)
Appreciate 2
Billfitz8256.00
jc62b32.00