F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Charge Pipe "O" ring sucked into throttle body...
Studio RSR

05-04-2022, 11:20 PM   #1
WhiteCollarMetalHead
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i GT xDrive

Charge Pipe "O" ring sucked into throttle body...

Well this has been fun. My otherwise stock N55 had just been running a CTS Turbo intake for some time now and with the warranty up I decided to future proof and upgrade my charge pipe.

I read all the horror stories and watched all the install videos and finally got around to doing the install. I went with FTP for the CP and the position of the coupler is a nightmare for locating and accessing the clamps. I clearly struggled to much because when I finally got the IC side to seat, apparently the gasket shifted. Idle and light revs in the driveway was fine but the second I got on the throttle just to pull out into a residential street the car instantly had a drivetrain malfunction, throttle was messed up, and about 20 codes tossed. Limped it home to take it all apart thinking it was a boost leak or I popped the CP from an install error and found the lower gasket lodged in the TB plate.

Unfortunately with the kids and work this has been all after hours work and I got everything reseated, reinstalled super late tonight so I was in able to start the car to see if the issue cleared or if there has been damage to the throttle body.

Does anyone know if there is an adaptation process for our cars or if I needed to get a new TB if it requires any kind of programming?

EDIT: Put the car in ACC this morning and cleared any present codes, attempted the "throttle adaptation" of holding the throttle to the floor in ACC for 30sec, not sure if that even does anything on these cars. Fired it up and all seems fine, no codes, idled and light throttle stationary seems normal. I need to put all the under panels back on and road test and hope the seal seated correctly this time.

EDIT2: Completed a road test, full warm up and some harder pulls and all appears to be normal, thatkfull that nothing was broken related to this.

Pictures of the damage.

Attached Images

Last edited by WhiteCollarMetalHead; 05-09-2022 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 12:43 AM   #2
Markoff Chaney
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive GT

That all tracks, you should be fine. You cleared codes, just keep an eye on it. I didn't mention in my thread on my DIY oil filter housing gasket that I effed up the charge pipe connection and when I went to get on the highway headed home from my folk's place it popped and wheezed and threw the "DRIVETRAIN COMRPIMISED HOLY CRAP" error which is more horrifying in the moment than it needs to be.
Anyways, pulled over and immediately saw the issue based on what happened, codes cleared and no issues since. There really isn't anything mechanical or otherwise that can get messed up between the components so I would call it good.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 08:48 AM   #3
WhiteCollarMetalHead
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i GT xDrive

After confirming it was the TB being jammed up I was concerned that might have been damaged. There were so many codes it didnt make sense but one was for the TB range of motion test - failed and another related to it. I had to manualy push it open a small amount to free the gasket and have heard that these things can have issues if you mess with them to much. All seems to be operating fine now though!

It was just shocking to me the amount and range of components that threw codes when it happend. sun roof, infotainment, drive shaft and wheel speed, throttle body, ABS, TC, the drivetrain malfunction. The entire car just freaked out.
Appreciate 0