F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > What Are the 6MT RWD Service Points?
GetBMWParts

02-16-2022, 11:21 AM   #1
AnimatedDriver
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i

What Are the 6MT RWD Service Points?

Hey fanatics!

I may have bitten off more than I can chew here with my '17 330i. This is the first time I've taken maintenance seriously for a car. Previously I've only focused on maintaining my motorcycle ('16 S 1000 RR) which is far easier from the ground up. But I suppose that's fairly obvious.

Moving on, I don't believe in BMW's official stance that parts and fluids are lifetime as far as the vehicle owner is concerned. So I'm trying to determine all of the service points. I have access to the ISTA, so I just need to know what needs my attention maintenance wise.

My 330i complete with a B46 engine and a manual transmission has 45k mi so far and is very well behaved. So far I have and know how to maintain the:
  • Engine Oil
  • Engine Coolant
  • Brakes
  • Brake Fluid
  • Spark Plugs

What I'm currently confused on is how to maintain the:
  • Clutch
  • Transmission
  • Rear Differential (if it's a RWD, then there is no front differential right?)
  • Is there anything else I'm missing?
  • Is the only way to fix a dead laser headlight to replace it entirely?

Despite being an avid DIYer, I'm not against having a well versed mechanic do things for me. I just don't want to walk into someone's shop completely ignorant of what my car needs and when. For instance, if I have a mechanic change my transmission fluid, should I also have him do the rear differential at the same time? Are there any parts that should be replaced while he's servicing the tranny and diff?

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 08:51 AM   #2
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
Mine is automatic so I can't speak to the manual servicing, but a quick search should pull that up. I believe the fluid is similar in schedule to the automatic and should be replaced every 40-50,000 miles or so but I won't swear to it. Mine is a 2017 330i also, but xDrive. Yours has a rear differential only, and should be drained and refilled every 60,000 miles.

To add to your list, the engine air filter should be replaced about every 20,000 miles or so.

Unfortunately yes, I believe the only fix for the LED/Laser headlight is a complete replacement as few of the parts are serviceable.

Appreciate 1