F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Rear footwell water leak F34
proTUNING Freaks

01-04-2024, 06:20 AM   #1
markwhinney
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 320i GT xdrive

Rear footwell water leak F34

Water is leaking into the rear footwell behind the driver's seat. Has anyone fixed a similar issue? The vehicle is an early 2015 320i GT X-drive. I presume that it is either an issue either with the door or the sill not draining. Water appears to emerge from the bottom of the inside of the door frame under the rubber seal rather than from the door. So far I have remove the full length of the exterior (plastic) sill between the wheels, but don't find an obvious sill drain hole. Does anyone know where the sill drain hole is located? At this stage it appears the enclosed sill is recessed further than the flange to which the sill and under-tray is attached. I have not removed the whole under tray yet. Also I have not removed the door card but it is not obvious that this is the problem. There is not sound of water in the door and removing two of the rubber grommets, there is no evidence of moisture. Also the car doesn't have a sunroof. thank you Mark
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 07:35 AM   #2
Oksamit78
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, F30 & F34

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwhinney View Post
Water is leaking into the rear footwell behind the driver's seat. Has anyone fixed a similar issue? The vehicle is an early 2015 320i GT X-drive. I presume that it is either an issue either with the door or the sill not draining. Water appears to emerge from the bottom of the inside of the door frame under the rubber seal rather than from the door. So far I have remove the full length of the exterior (plastic) sill between the wheels, but don't find an obvious sill drain hole. Does anyone know where the sill drain hole is located? At this stage it appears the enclosed sill is recessed further than the flange to which the sill and under-tray is attached. I have not removed the whole under tray yet. Also I have not removed the door card but it is not obvious that this is the problem. There is not sound of water in the door and removing two of the rubber grommets, there is no evidence of moisture. Also the car doesn't have a sunroof. thank you Mark
Check drain holes in the door as Step 1.

Step 2:
The leak might be coming from the door itself. Since your car is 2015, there is a chance that the plastic water seal under the door card no longer sealed along its bottom edge. This happens when the butyl rubber ages.

Read here about similar issue in F31: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1453807

I've had same issues in my E39 in the past. Fixed it by heating the butyl with a heat gun and by resealing the plastic water barrier.
2017 F34 340i XDrive w/ M Sport Pack, Azure II /Black, B58B30M0, Dinan Stage 1
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8244.50
      01-04-2024, 10:01 AM   #3
markwhinney
Registered
Rep

Thank you for your thoughts on this. Checked various plugs in the door and inside seems completely dry. Not sure what needs to be removed to reveal door car screws on the this model. Imagine it is still worth checking the vapour barrier as you suggest.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 12:13 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Look at the door sills. The outer sills should be dirty, as the water that enters the doors past the window gaskets drips out of the doors onto the outer sills, depositing rain water borne dust. The inner sills should be clean.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 03:37 PM   #5
markwhinney
Registered
Rep

Thanks Billfitz, Yes that seems to be the case. Presume that you're referring to the sill of the door frame. The outside/body colour part is slightly dirty and in wet conditions, can be wet. By the inside, I assume you mean the carpeted part in the footwell. That is what often gets wet, but shouldn't shouldn't be. Water then collects from there in the footwell, soaking the carpet.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 09:48 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

There are two distinct sills under the door, a narrow one at a lower level to the outside of the car, a wider one at a higher level to the inside. Only the outer should collect water, and as a result it's chronically dirty.
Appreciate 0