F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F series adaptive - Bilstein damptronic PnP dampers
proTUNING Freaks

07-25-2019, 01:39 PM   #309
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewricha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Well. end of July....anyone know anything? Bilstein in USA as clueless as ever.

Found this link at the best price I've see thus far and says September - at least for UK.

https://www.kamracing.co.uk/car-tuni...dc-models.html
ha! I came across the same site this morning lol, "Available from September 2019":

question is will it be a proper monotube implementation?

I have also emailed balancemotorsport for confirmation of availability
I received a response from the website I listed above.

They state they expect 2-3 months.

Then again, when have we heard that before?

Bilstein USA has no info on USA product. I told them that September looks like a go in UK and they stated that products are not released Worldwide at the same time. Said additional testing is often required for USA.

Quite frankly, I suspect they are clueless and assuming.

As for kamracing.co.uk I have verified with several BMW owners in UK that they are very legit. Some have been to their shop.

"We separate the products by car so do not have a joint listing.
For some reason it was not showing on the website but you can now get to the correct product listing here

We are waiting for production to finish. This is unfortunately about 2-3 months away but you can still buy now and get it at the cheaper price.
I'm tempted to order the ride control version for my 328i!

Kindest regards
Kev"
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 03:23 AM   #310
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
It's absolutely not a monotube. You can see the solenoid on the side controlling flow into the outer tube. Monotube front strut PNs also typically begin with 35-, so a damptronic version would likely be 36-, not the 23- this is (the twin-tube B4s start with 22- and the B4 damptronic is also 23-). Also, if it were monotube they probably would've done their usual "inverted/upside down" design to increase rigidity.
I'm not sure how you can make that assertion when no pictures of the B16 Damptronic for the F22 and F30 have been released yet!

Totally agree with you if you are referring to the B4 and B6 Damptronic units though.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 03:28 AM   #311
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Bilstein USA has no info on USA product. I told them that September looks like a go in UK and they stated that products are not released Worldwide at the same time. Said additional testing is often required for USA.

As for kamracing.co.uk I have verified with several BMW owners in UK that they are very legit. Some have been to their shop.

For some reason it was not showing on the website but you can now get to the correct product listing here

We are waiting for production to finish. This is unfortunately about 2-3 months away but you can still buy now and get it at the cheaper price.

Kindest regards
Kev"
Interesting. I had a reply from fahrwerke-stossdaempfer.de, a German retailer who said mid to late September for availability.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 10:34 AM   #312
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Quote:

Kindest regards
Kev"
Interesting. I had a reply from fahrwerke-stossdaempfer.de, a German retailer who said mid to late September for availability.
They give you a price?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 10:40 AM   #313
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
They give you a price?
You can see for yourself here:

https://www.fahrwerke-stossdaempfer....ront-rear.html

more expensive than Kamracing.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 02:04 PM   #314
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not sure how you can make that assertion when no pictures of the B16 Damptronic for the F22 and F30 have been released yet!

Totally agree with you if you are referring to the B4 and B6 Damptronic units though.
The TUV document explicitly says it's a twin-tube for the B16. Also, the front strut PN begins with 23- just like the B4 and B6.

Also, the F8x B6/B16 monotube (says in TUV docs again) Damptronic products' front strut PNs start with 31- and the rears start with 26-. They also offer a twin-tube B4 for the F8x that starts with 23- for the front and 20- for the rear.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.

Last edited by FaRKle!; 07-26-2019 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-27-2019, 04:16 PM   #315
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The TUV document explicitly says it's a twin-tube for the B16. Also, the front strut PN begins with 23- just like the B4 and B6.

Also, the F8x B6/B16 monotube (says in TUV docs again) Damptronic products' front strut PNs start with 31- and the rears start with 26-. They also offer a twin-tube B4 for the F8x that starts with 23- for the front and 20- for the rear.
Ok fair enough thanks for the info. So looks like the B16 kit is similar to the Golf R B16 kit which is also twin tube.

So one might assume you would only buy the B16 kit over the B6 dampers if you want height adjustability and matching springs.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 11:25 PM   #316
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
The TUV docs also tell you the spring PNs. One thing I noticed looking through them is that B14, B16 PSS10 (normal/non-comfort), and B16 Ride Control all use the same springs.

The B16 Damptronic uses the same rear springs as the above, but has a different front spring. It's got a stronger wire (14mm vs 12mm), is shorter (215mm vs 220mm), has a larger diameter (154mm vs 121-95mm), and has fewer coils (5.5 vs 6.7). This leads me to believe it's more of a standard linear spring (even thought it says progressive in TUV), with a rate higher than F8x ZCP. I base that off of the comparative dimensions from Eibach's TUV docs.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2019, 06:26 AM   #317
thisismikeyb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive M-Sport EBII

I figured I would give everyone an update on my B6 Damptronic's install as I've put about 1200 miles on them so far. As previously mentioned, the spring perch on the B6's is about half an inch higher causing the front of my car to be raised up.

Thanks to FaRKle! having the Eibach F3x Pro-Kit Springs Documentation in his signature, I went out and bought the E10-20-031-03-22 kit which has the 11-20-031-01-VA front springs paired with the 11-20-031-03-HA rear springs. Compared to the 4-22 kit Tirerack recommends for my car, this kit comes with 10mm shorter front springs which has helped dropped the front by about 1/4" compared to the Dinan springs, overall the drop of the front springs is about 1.24" compared to the stock springs. The rear springs additionally have raised the back of my car by about 3/8", which is what I expected to happen as they only drop the car by 0.6" vs the 1" the Dinan's did. I will be watching for any settling as the front springs were installed last weekend, and the rear springs were this weekend.

Overall I have to say the ride quality is phenomenal, even with the stiffer Dinan springs and M3 Bumpstops. There will probably be a small difference now that I have swapped to Eibach's, but I don't expect it to be much of one. I have a crazy amount of road construction to drive through and the ride has been extremely complaint.
2014 328i xDrive M-Sport EBII--M-Performance BBK/LSD/Aero--AA Signature Exhaust--Bilstein B6 DampTronic + Eibach Springs + H&R Swaybars + Millway Street Camber Plates + M3 Bump Stops + Dinan Shockware--Apex ARC-8 18x9.5et35+12mm Front Spacers w/Kumho Ecsta V730 275/35--FL-5/EC-7 18x8.5et35 w/Pilot Alpin PA4/Hakkapeliitta 10 Studded 245/45--BavSound Stage 1+Ghost Subs
Appreciate 1
Kefka32.50
      07-28-2019, 10:13 AM   #318
Kefka
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i, 135i, 335i e93/92 , Z4 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismikeyb View Post
I figured I would give everyone an update on my B6 Damptronic's install as I've put about 1200 miles on them so far. As previously mentioned, the spring perch on the B6's is about half an inch higher causing the front of my car to be raised up.

Thanks to FaRKle! having the Eibach F3x Pro-Kit Springs Documentation in his signature, I went out and bought the E10-20-031-03-22 kit which has the 11-20-031-01-VA front springs paired with the 11-20-031-03-HA rear springs. Compared to the 4-22 kit Tirerack recommends for my car, this kit comes with 10mm shorter front springs which has helped dropped the front by about 1/4" compared to the Dinan springs, overall the drop of the front springs is about 1.24" compared to the stock springs. The rear springs additionally have raised the back of my car by about 3/8", which is what I expected to happen as they only drop the car by 0.6" vs the 1" the Dinan's did. I will be watching for any settling as the front springs were installed last weekend, and the rear springs were this weekend.

Overall I have to say the ride quality is phenomenal, even with the stiffer Dinan springs and M3 Bumpstops. There will probably be a small difference now that I have swapped to Eibach's, but I don't expect it to be much of one. I have a crazy amount of road construction to drive through and the ride has been extremely complaint.

Have you considered to keep "mixed" springs?

Front eibachs with rear dinan?

I made this with my e89 35i msport. I started using HR springs , lowered very nice but for daily driving was a nightmare due streets of my city , then I ended up installing front Eibach only (HR for the rear side)..

Front rised up , but still looks good and friendly daily driving..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #319
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

That's great feedback! Other forum reviews I've seen say the B6' are too harsh compared to OEM adaptive shocks. Did they loosen up after some miles? Glad you're addressing the front ride height. Would you say comfort mode and sport are more compliant than OEM?

On the B16 kit, I wonder if it'll look a bit like the VAG one (49-255874)

Last edited by Matthewricha; 07-28-2019 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 11:47 AM   #320
thisismikeyb
Private First Class
Rep

Kefka the second reason I purchased new springs was to see about fixing another issue I had. My passenger side rear suspension was about half an inch lower than my drivers side. Unsure of the cause and wanting to fix the front drop issue at the same time I bought a new set of springs. As of right now I can say with a good amount of certainty that the Dinan spring was the issue after 70k miles.

Matthewricha as far as I know I'm riding with Dinan Shockware still on the car. What I can say is the OEM suspension struggled when I put on the 245/45r18 winter tires 4 years ago. It was unable to control the extra sidewall bounce the tires added to the equation. Dinan's Shockware helped significantly when I finally added it, however I was already at about 50k miles at that time. The bounce returned last year shortly after I put on the MP4S's, I just rode it out hoping for Bilstein to finally release their dampers. With the B6's installed the bounce has been eliminated, all while absorbing road imperfections. Sport mode is slightly firmer, but still not harsh. It's really surprising just how well these dampers absorb everything without feeling harsh.

This is the finished product.
Attached Images

2014 328i xDrive M-Sport EBII--M-Performance BBK/LSD/Aero--AA Signature Exhaust--Bilstein B6 DampTronic + Eibach Springs + H&R Swaybars + Millway Street Camber Plates + M3 Bump Stops + Dinan Shockware--Apex ARC-8 18x9.5et35+12mm Front Spacers w/Kumho Ecsta V730 275/35--FL-5/EC-7 18x8.5et35 w/Pilot Alpin PA4/Hakkapeliitta 10 Studded 245/45--BavSound Stage 1+Ghost Subs
Appreciate 2
      08-14-2019, 12:47 AM   #321
frydryce
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 328d

Interesting note is that ECS is showing the part number now with an ETA of Sept 9th.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bilstein...49-207323~bil/
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #322
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

B16 PDF

That is for the Ride Control kit: 49-207323, not the B16 PnP kit: 49-255935

incidentally this B16 kit (49-255935) is listed on several European sites now, so must be coming soon as discussed earlier.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/bilstein/9...%20(49-255935)

... and here is the PDF containing fitting instructions, diagrams and spring rates etc, which states "twin pipe" shocks:

https://media.carparts-cat.com/pdf/E...M4-Y751A00.pdf

Happy reading
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #323
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
B6 damptronic kits appear to be on sale at x-ph:
https://x-ph.com/bilstein-b6-perform...bmw-f-chassis/
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #324
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
... and here is the PDF containing fitting instructions, diagrams and spring rates etc, which states "twin pipe" shocks:
You had me excited there for a minute with "spring rates." Unfortunately they're not in the TUV document. That said, if you know how many coils are bound at static ride height you might be able to calculate it/get very close since the spring dimensions are there.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #325
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
thisismikeyb
How has the ride been in comfort mode relative to stock edc?

At first I was going to go to put my M3 springs on my stock edc and then upgrade the dampers later if needed, but with that x-hp sale... I'm really tempted to just do both at the same time.

Edit: I just realized the comparison will most likely be moot for me, since you are on shockware.
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327

Last edited by Eschmacher; 08-15-2019 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 11:14 PM   #326
chaty17
Rep
Drives: BMW 435I M SPORT

Quote:
Bumpstops are off, waiting to see if the car drops any over night. Right now I have about a 1/4" rake on the drivers side, but about a 1" rake on the passenger. Side to side the front passenger side sits about 3/8th of an inch higher, however the passenger rear sits about 3/8ths of an inch lower.

Im having the same issue than you, driver side is higher than the the other side, you car sits right after how many days ?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 04:41 AM   #327
thisismikeyb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
thisismikeyb
How has the ride been in comfort mode relative to stock edc?

At first I was going to go to put my M3 springs on my stock edc and then upgrade the dampers later if needed, but with that x-hp sale... I'm really tempted to just do both at the same time.

Edit: I just realized the comparison will most likely be moot for me, since you are on shockware.
Unfortunately you are correct, my current setup along with how worn out my stock dampers were makes it hard to do a comparison.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 05:47 AM   #328
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You had me excited there for a minute with "spring rates." Unfortunately they're not in the TUV document. That said, if you know how many coils are bound at static ride height you might be able to calculate it/get very close since the spring dimensions are there.
apologies, I meant to say Spring dimensions..

I believe these are listed a progressive springs same as the VW Golf MK7 B16 dampronic kit, which would mean any spring rate wouldn't be a constant anyway(?)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 06:58 AM   #329
thisismikeyb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaty17 View Post
Im having the same issue than you, driver side is higher than the the other side, you car sits right after how many days ?
I took measurements throughout the week at different locations, but there was not any noticeable change after driving it to work for the first time.

In the long run I ended up swapping to a different set of springs that did lower the front of the car a bit and then raised the back of the car some to mostly level it out. At this point I'm probably measuring the change in the suspension with regards to how full my gas tank is.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #330
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I believe these are listed a progressive springs same as the VW Golf MK7 B16 dampronic kit, which would mean any spring rate wouldn't be a constant anyway(?)
Lots of progressive springs only really have two rates. You enter the second rate when the coils for the lower rate enter bind (and in the case of Bilstein they do this very fast, they look like they're binding at static ride height). I usually use the full active coil amount when trying to estimate the low end of the spring rate, and then to get the final/higher spring rate only count the coils that aren't bound. I've found this matches pretty well with published rates.

For example, Bilstein front spring E4-FD1-Y226B00 (front spring on the B14, B16, and B16 ride control) is 399lbs/in if you ask Bilstein for the final rate. Using my method I estimated 378.75lbs/in, 5% off. I also did the same with Bilstein rear spring E4-FD1-Y183B00 (also used on the same coilovers as above), which is stated at 565.6lbs/in. My estimated value was 562.5lbs/in, less than 1% off.

Last edited by FaRKle!; 08-16-2019 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 1