F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Iphone new
proTUNING Freaks

11-07-2018, 04:29 PM   #397
A15X
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d M sport Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by A15X View Post
Quote:
Time to switch brands and OS then - they won't get slimmer.

Don't be fooled by claims of better battery life either - the higher-res screens are more power hungry so they are really at best keeping up with the battery life of older models, which in some ways is still an achievement.

Do be prepared to accept in some ways a worse UI due to the loss of the home button with a consequent reliance on gestures instead. Face ID will get an upgrade in 2019 so if you don't swing to Android, wait till the 2019 models.
I don't know if I agree with the battery life comment, my Xs max can easy last 1.5 days!

I have a 7 for work and Xs max personal phone and I thought I wouldn't get on with the size or new controls but it's second nature now and find it works really well.
You're an Apple shill as your username is the iPad Pro processor name in 3 years time

A lot will depend on usage etc of course and the comparison between 7 and XS Max isn't valid.

They're great phones though, but I'll stick with my 8+ for at least a year longer.
In what respect is my comparison not valid?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 04:31 PM   #398
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Don't be fooled by claims of better battery life either - the higher-res screens are more power hungry so they are really at best keeping up with the battery life of older models, which in some ways is still an achievement.

Do be prepared to accept in some ways a worse UI due to the loss of the home button with a consequent reliance on gestures instead. Face ID will get an upgrade in 2019 so if you don't swing to Android, wait till the 2019 models.
I don't know if I agree with the battery life comment, my Xs max can easy last 1.5 days!

I have a 7 for work and Xs max personal phone and I thought I wouldn't get on with the size or new controls but it's second nature now and find it works really well.
You're an Apple shill as your username is the iPad Pro processor name in 3 years time

A lot will depend on usage etc of course and the comparison between 7 and XS Max isn't valid.

They're great phones though, but I'll stick with my 8+ for at least a year longer.
Max is a far bigger phone compared to a standard 7 and I would expect your usage of work and personal phones would differ.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #399
A15X
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d M sport Convertible

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Max is a far bigger phone compared to a standard 7 and I would expect your usage of work and personal phones would differ.
My max replaced a personal 7 which would require a charge at the end of each day so I had something to compare it to and wife replaced her 7 with an XS and has noticed the battery life is much better between the two.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #400
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:

My XS battery life is way better than the 7! On a non work day it still has 70-80% battery left, compared to less than half that on the 7!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 02:53 AM   #401
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Re battery life, I've seen a massive improvement in going from iPhone 6S (that had not long had a replacement battery) to iPhone Xs.

Phone charged overnight until 06:00 each morning.

By 20:00 each evening:
iPhone 6S = <10% battery charge remaining.
iPhone Xs = 35-45% battery charge remaining.

It really is much, much better.
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 03:14 AM   #402
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
Re battery life, I've seen a massive improvement in going from iPhone 6S (that had not long had a replacement battery) to iPhone Xs.

Phone charged overnight until 06:00 each morning.

By 20:00 each evening:
iPhone 6S = <10% battery charge remaining.
iPhone Xs = 35-45% battery charge remaining.

It really is much, much better.
Similar difference to me coming from a 7 then.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 03:20 AM   #403
ciscopete822
Major
Rep
Drives: RS6 , 840i and others :P

Apple should have been raped for giving 5W charger in the box tho! Agreed , battery life is better now as I have XsMax as daily for next 2 months ffs... :P
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 03:47 AM   #404
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Similar difference to me coming from a 7 then.
One thing with this, is that it's not purely about handset advantages but also battery age. My IP7 is reporting that the battery is at 89% of the capacity it had when new. A heavily used one may have deteriorated more.

Doesn't ultimately mean much as you still get the increased performance of the new handset/battery.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 04:02 AM   #405
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

From my post Rich, I did make the point that I'd recently had a new battery in my 6S, and was at something like 98% capacity, so it is a pretty good comparison IMO.
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2018, 04:58 AM   #406
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
From my post Rich, I did make the point that I'd recently had a new battery in my 6S, and was at something like 98% capacity, so it is a pretty good comparison IMO.
Sorry Grant, completely missed that sentence! Impressive gains then.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 04:59 AM   #407
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
One thing with this, is that it's not purely about handset advantages but also battery age. My IP7 is reporting that the battery is at 89% of the capacity it had when new. A heavily used one may have deteriorated more.

Doesn't ultimately mean much as you still get the increased performance of the new handset/battery.
My 7 was on 93% capacity, yet it gave around 50% of the battery life of the XS.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #408
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

I’ve literally just picked up my XR, I was out of contract on my 7 back in the summer and wanted another 128gb but there weren’t any, they were 64gb which isn’t enough or 256gb which I’d never use so jumped on the XR as you can get 128gb.

It’s a lovely thing as you’d expect, the screen is amazing etc etc but it’s just a bit too big being honest. I found the standard 7 to be the perfect size but like everything else I’ll probably get used to it.
Appreciate 1
zofinger319.00
      11-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #409
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
I’ve literally just picked up my XR, I was out of contract on my 7 back in the summer and wanted another 128gb but there weren’t any, they were 64gb which isn’t enough or 256gb which I’d never use so jumped on the XR as you can get 128gb.

It’s a lovely thing as you’d expect, the screen is amazing etc etc but it’s just a bit too big being honest. I found the standard 7 to be the perfect size but like everything else I’ll probably get used to it.
Yeah the XR is a bit big, but apart from that it looks like a great phone, all the haters saying the screen resolution is archaic have really been proven wrong, there’s more to screen quality than resolution as proved by numerous videos like this one with people choosing it over much higher res OLED phones!

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 04:17 PM   #410
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Interesting to read about Apple's share price drop today with investors particularly worried by Apple's reliance on high prices if it needs to ride out a downturn in consumer spending. Higher prices risks them losing market share. Are we in the period when Apple are making hay while the sun shines i.e.: maximising profits whilst they have good market share before needing to re-price at a more resonable level.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 12:59 AM   #411
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by zofinger View Post
Interesting to read about Apple's share price drop today with investors particularly worried by Apple's reliance on high prices if it needs to ride out a downturn in consumer spending. Higher prices risks them losing market share. Are we in the period when Apple are making hay while the sun shines i.e.: maximising profits whilst they have good market share before needing to re-price at a more resonable level.
Let's hope so. With the increases for the new MacBook Air and iPad ranges (yet still maintaining the old price for the legacy Air), there's a lot of commentary in this area.

A few bloggers have said that Apple offers free tuition etc with the One to One courses (which is unique to Apple) and that's a value add - yes it is but so few people use that, however everyone pays the premium (partly funding those courses). No different from other things of course, with the majority paying for things that only a minority use.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 01:37 AM   #412
Chas325
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 325d MSport

They need a mid range phone especially for business use. I manage a bunch of devices (a few thousand)- the cost centre holders have a choice which phones their employees can order. Galaxy A6 at 300+vat or iPhone at 600/700 odd plus vat.

Now the iPad is 260 +Vat it’s an interesting proposition for us now since the galaxy tab a is a similar price. Apples business programs like DEP and VPp are way better than anything google has though.

Give me an iPhone at 400 ish +Vat and I’ll take several thousand of them!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 02:26 AM   #413
ciscopete822
Major
Rep
Drives: RS6 , 840i and others :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasdrury View Post
They need a mid range phone especially for business use. I manage a bunch of devices (a few thousand)- the cost centre holders have a choice which phones their employees can order. Galaxy A6 at 300+vat or iPhone at 600/700 odd plus vat.

Now the iPad is 260 +Vat it’s an interesting proposition for us now since the galaxy tab a is a similar price. Apples business programs like DEP and VPp are way better than anything google has though.

Keep dreaming , this is what me and others were trying to say. Iphone at 600 pounds price point would be an awesome device. Same iphone at 1100 without fast charging and other goodies is a joke. Overinflated lineup with too many , incorrectly priced and targeted devices. Same thing happen to Apple in early 90s. Looking for crazy profit rather than marketshare.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2018, 04:01 AM   #414
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasdrury View Post

The iPhone 7 is £449 including VAT! :
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 02:37 PM   #415
Hanchurch
Captain
Rep
Drives: tesla model 3 performance

Got my XS today, the screen is much bigger than my old 7 with only a very slightly bigger phone.
Past - Mini Cooper S 7 5 door, BMW 120d m sport, Saab 9-3 2.8 V6 turbo, Mazda RX8 231, Mini Cooper S
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #416
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanchurch View Post
Got my XS today, the screen is much bigger than my old 7 with only a very slightly bigger phone.
I’m so used to mine now my wife’s iPhone 7 screen looks tiny!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 03:29 PM   #417
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanchurch View Post
I’m so used to mine now my wife’s iPhone 7 screen looks tiny!
100% this, the Mrs is on an IPhone 7 and when I pick it up I wonder how I ever managed with such a small phone after owning the XR for only about 6 weeks.

It really is superb added with a ridiculous data allowance means I just stream stuff in places like the gym when I'm on the treadmill for an hour at a time, the screen is great for this and the battery life is another level compared to the 7.
Appreciate 1
teaston10994.50