F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > Watch the BMW F30 3 Series Assembly Process on Rosslyn Production Line
Extreme Powerhouse

12-23-2012, 02:17 AM   #67
Bimmeration
BEEMDUBLEW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' Tesla Model S 85kw

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Rusty seat rail?
Check!
Lol
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 04:44 AM   #68
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoNZ View Post
Not all RHD 3 series cars are made in SA. The UK is supplied from Germany I believe, not to mention all the early F30's in NZ (RHD of course) where Munich builds.
The only RHD markets that are supplied by Germany is UK/IRL & some very small volume RHD CBU markets such as Thailand or Malaysia. Otherwise for most of Asia & Oceania (whether RHD/LHD) they're from SA.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #69
Judah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi
I bet if you couldn't see the people's faces in the video and this was relabeled "new production line in Germany" you'd all be going fanboy nuts over how amazing it is.

Seriously, the amount of stereotyping and intolerance in this thread makes me wanna
+1000

I knew, as soon as I saw the first video, I would see who was who and what is what in some of those who post here. I'm not surprised even a little.

In response to the original senseless posting:

Are the images on the first page from SA also ?

In those images I see quite a few uniform variations, (including someone wearing shorts) and not everyone has gloves on.

Do you think these things actually matter in order to get a final product.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #70
v1p3r
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320d M-Sport EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
I bet if you couldn't see the people's faces in the video and this was relabeled "new production line in Germany" you'd all be going fanboy nuts over how amazing it is.

Seriously, the amount of stereotyping and intolerance in this thread makes me wanna

2014 F30 320d M-Sport, Estoril Blue II
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #71
v1p3r
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320d M-Sport EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurphy2 View Post
feel bad for those with south african build, that production line looks like a joke compared to germany and i lived in SA for a year.....i wouldnt want to buy a pencil made from that place.
Please, enlighten yourself.

http://www.carmag.co.za/news/bmw-sa-tops-in-quality/

2014 F30 320d M-Sport, Estoril Blue II
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #72
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judah View Post
In response to the original senseless posting:

Are the images on the first page from SA also ?

In those images I see quite a few uniform variations, (including someone wearing shorts) and not everyone has gloves on.
U mean those still pics? They're from the good old BMW plant in München, Deutschland of all places.
Seriously, there's a good reason why some ppl in the plant wear different shirts & that's cos to signify their ranking on the line or their respective workstation. The leader/head always wear different colours so if there're any problems they can be located quickly to solve problems & hence minimise line downtime. If u look in the Rosslyn vid u can see there are different colours but they're not random.
Also, it's obvious that the QC guys will not wear gloves cos their job depends on tactile feedback (e.g. paintwork imperfection etc).
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 03:01 AM   #73
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Some ignorant comments without proper justification. For starters, I have read many times that the SA plant has lower defects than the Munich plant. Maybe that's because it has a lower output with a slow moving line but nonetheless it looked like any other BMW plant to me. A BMW is a BMW rather it's built in South Carolina, Germany, or South Africa. All engineered by the same guys in the Fitz building in Munich.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 03:14 AM   #74
tIANCi
Private
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: E90 325 LCI

Was at a dealer today and I put my hand under the seat, rubbed it and guess what I saw on my fingers? LOL

To date almost all my friends with the F30 have got rusty seats, steering rack clunk. Some got error for LOSS OF COMPRESSION, CHECK COOLANT, CHECK TRANSMISSION ... 'tis the Season for JOY!

Hehehehehee ...
      12-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #75
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: em-funf

Garage List
This will be like the VW 10 years ago, when wolfsburg edition held value better because it was built in Germany and not in Mexico.

I surely will be looking NOT to buy SA built. I mean just look at the end of 2nd video. No gloves as they polish the car and then with his BARE HANDS he cleans the dust residue after he did orbital polishing.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #76
thejackyltm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335MSport

I must be dumb or completely blind. Was curious so took a picture of my vin and it doesn't match up to anything on the list to figure things out. The first 3 letters do and after that it doesn't match to anything
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 12:47 AM   #77
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
I suppose it could be true. No biggie.
Jackson 743 is correct. I just got back from Germany after a Munich plant tour and it appears that all N55s are made in Steyr, Austria along with all diesel models for any BMW product (incld. Mini) and all ///M motors, V8, V12s, and N20s are made in Munich. All Prince engines (Mini Petrol) and low output I4s (N13) are made in Hams Hall in the UK.

Apparently the US government does not require the final assembly location for the engine and tranny on the window sticker but where the majority of the unit's parts originate.

I.E. Mini window stickers list France as country of origin for its engines but actually they are BMW built units in the UK with French parts from PSA in France.

Last edited by r3dbimmer89; 03-13-2013 at 12:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 06:49 PM   #78
Herakles
Captain
Rep
Drives: United States

Do you guys think there are any negatives to buying a bmw from the Rosslyn pant in south africa, vs a Germany manufacturing plant?

Honestly off the bat i was dissapointed when i saw the vin of the car i was looking at was from SA Rosslyn VIN: WBAPL5G56BNN23739
- its just we all want to know that our bmw is as bavarian as can be, i think its normal

But, after reading some replies- and coming from a strict manufacturing plant myself- I realize the germans building the plant in SA to maximize profits- but would apply the same quality control and same tolerances/specs as they have home, if not better.

If the Roslynn plant is also newer, one would expect alot of things probably done better, assumably.

But cant lie, id prefer my window sticker to say Munich . LOL.

Last edited by Herakles; 02-03-2015 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 06:46 PM   #79
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by malter2.0 View Post
This will be like the VW 10 years ago, when wolfsburg edition held value better because it was built in Germany and not in Mexico.

I surely will be looking NOT to buy SA built. I mean just look at the end of 2nd video. No gloves as they polish the car and then with his BARE HANDS he cleans the dust residue after he did orbital polishing.
Oh no, shock horror, someone touched the new paintwork with their... wait for it... BARE HANDS!!! Get a life, the paint will have a whole lot more than that thrown at it over its lifetime!!! And they're all built by robots anyway... those guys in the SA plant are just a bit more laid back in their attitude to life (black people always have & always will be way cooler than us pale faced pussys) it doesn't mean they can't follow protocol and work those machines just the same as a white European!!!
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2016, 06:54 PM   #80
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
Oh no, shock horror, someone touched the new paintwork with their... wait for it... BARE HANDS!!! Get a life, the paint will have a whole lot more than that thrown at it over its lifetime!!! And they're all built by robots anyway... those guys in the SA plant are just a bit more laid back in their attitude to life (black people always have & always will be way cooler than us pale faced pussys) it doesn't mean they can't follow protocol and work those machines just the same as a white European!!!
Awesome post!
Appreciate 1
nozydog465.00
      01-14-2017, 01:40 AM   #81
Beemer717
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
You speak absolute nonsense. You the one bringing race into this.

Just remember, it is "pale faced pussys" who built/funded that factory, supplied most (if not all) of its machinery, technology, put in place those protocols of which you speak and supplied most of the vehicles parts. The main reason that factory is there in the first place.

The car is simply assembled or 'put together' in South Africa - nothing to really boast about. Virtually all of its parts are imported with the most important work being done by (probably German made) machines.

90%+ of parts I have ever handled all said Made in Germany on them.

I have owned both SA and German made BMs. There is nothing wrong with an SA made car however there is also nothing wrong with wanting a German car made in Germany.
Appreciate 1
nozydog465.00
      01-14-2017, 04:30 AM   #82
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer717 View Post
You speak absolute nonsense. You the one bringing race into this.

Just remember, it is "pale faced pussys" who built/funded that factory, supplied most (if not all) of its machinery, technology, put in place those protocols of which you speak and supplied most of the vehicles parts. The main reason that factory is there in the first place.

The car is simply assembled or 'put together' in South Africa - nothing to really boast about. Virtually all of its parts are imported with the most important work being done by (probably German made) machines.

90%+ of parts I have ever handled all said Made in Germany on them.

I have owned both SA and German made BMs. There is nothing wrong with an SA made car however there is also nothing wrong with wanting a German car made in Germany.
I was attempting to bring a bit of humour to the thread that's all... apologies if some people missed that!!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 04:52 AM   #83
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoNZ View Post
Not all RHD 3 series cars are made in SA. The UK is supplied from Germany I believe, not to mention all the early F30's in NZ (RHD of course) where Munich builds.
True, just found out from my dealer that mine was built in Regensburg Germany!
Appreciate 0