F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Studio RSR

09-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #1
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Michelin Pilot Sport 4

For some background as to the reasons for this post see this

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1643697

I finally have Michelin Pilot Sports 4 staggered setup on my 19 in wheels now

PROS

Grip! Wet grip is simply astonishing and cornering is phenomenal. The front tyres grip and then the back tyres follow the line as opposed to the Pirellis breaking loose int he wet under accelaration there is no such element with the michelins. I also Took a corner at 60mph in which the pirellis have slid at 40mph and with the michelins there was a flicker of loss of traction followed by a smooth regaining of traction with no jerkiness etc. I Feel very safe

Noise! The road nose is subjectively much more tolerable. I used a DB meter app and both pirellis and michelin were almost same froma db POV but the noise from the michelin is a soothing hum as opposed to a coarse roarfrom the Pirellis which was far less tolerable.

Comfort! The Pirelli PZero RFT's on ACS springs were crashing about the place and every tiny road imperfection would make me feel like I am crashing into a pothole. The Michelins have a composed feel I know that there are imperfections but this is information only without any pain or crashiness.

I no longer fear my car and I am throwing it around wet and roundabouts and corners with a mischevious grin knowing that I wont get killed(unlike the pirellis).

CONS

1. Steering! The steering had a much lighter feel with the pirellis. The michelins it feels as though they resist any fast turns perhaps as they hug the road. I felt the Pirellis were more nimble

2. Accelaration! I can feela slight lag between applying the throttle and power transfer to the wheels this was less so witht he Pirellis ? again due to higher grip of the michelins

3. Fuel economy! The Pirellis seemed to be giving em consistently 37mpg mixed driving and 47mpg highways but michelins are giving me lower values. On reflection this might be because I trust the car now and am driving more aggresively knowing that it is stable.

Overall conclusion

With the ACS springs and the michelin pilot sports 4 I feel 10 years younger as if I were driving my e91 base model and not the GT. The car feels much smaller and lighter and easier to control and more comfortable.

PS I did some research between pilot sport 4 and pilot sport 4s and as Glasgow hardly gets much snow but is rainy a lot the better wet traction and the better grips when cold made me choose the pilot sport 4.

Last edited by KRS_SN; 09-05-2019 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 1
g9icy340.50