F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9.0 HU discussion
Extreme Powerhouse

10-25-2019, 09:56 AM   #859
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsmithcyril View Post
Is your HU NBT or CIC ? some one told me if CIC have to use AUX cable, is it true ?
I read somewhere, You only need that aux cable if you have a combox or something because some wires go directly to the back ( forget the specifics ).
I think if you have HK or non HK w/out nav or bluetooth etc ( SINGLE DIN ) the AUX and everything goes directly to the headunit and your fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 10:29 AM   #860
addikt
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328 xi (F30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrazy View Post
Don't give up no signal can also occur because of not right sitting cables, this was the case for me at the beginning. Maybe they have losen up with the time, just reconnect all wires and test it again. important is the quadlock which does not sit very good all time, check it.
*Sigh* I've done it so many times ... I can't reconnect things any better than I've done 50 times already. Things shouldn't be this hard when there are really only 3 connections to make. I'm pretty confident that my iDrive unit has failed, which means I have to spend a good chunk of change to replace it ... the Android display isn't giving me enough value to keep going with it, e.g. speedometer in Km/h vs mph, no radio or XM integration, no driving Maps without a data plan/SIM.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 12:29 PM   #861
rpc180
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Is your HU NBT or CIC ? some one told me if CIC have to use AUX cable, is it true ?
I've got a CIC unit and did have to run the aux cable. Sad because when I looked at the idrive side it did say that Front Aux was auto selected on power up. Just no output from the Android side.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #862
rpc180
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by addikt View Post
*Sigh* I've done it so many times ... I can't reconnect things any better than I've done 50 times already. Things shouldn't be this hard when there are really only 3 connections to make. I'm pretty confident that my iDrive unit has failed, which means I have to spend a good chunk of change to replace it ... the Android display isn't giving me enough value to keep going with it, e.g. speedometer in Km/h vs mph, no radio or XM integration, no driving Maps without a data plan/SIM.
Damn man, that sucks - hopefully the price isn't too bad on the return of the unit. I was also looking up ebay'd iDrives when I couldn't get mine powered up and didn't have spare fuses available to test with
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #863
DarkIrata
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (F31), 2015

Quote:
Got a CIC High, didn't need the aux cable
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 04:44 PM   #864
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

To Root and SU the Snapdragon devices even more easier than i described here, i created a Windows batch job that now does the Job for you

Download the actual ADB Software from here.
Unpack it, also download the adb_su_root.zip attached here, unzip it so that all files are together at the same folder where the adb.exe is.

just start the root_Android9.bat, enter the IP Adress (without port !) and let it run, thats it

please Note: on some computers the script does stuck at "Rebooting device" if this does happen press "CTRL+C" twice and then "N" , the script will then run further.

Please give feedback when it does work for you, i only have one device to test with

EDIT: you will find Rooting Tool V2 HERE.
Chri
Attached Files
File Type: zip adb_su_root.zip (45.8 KB, 721 views)

Last edited by Kri; 12-20-2020 at 05:33 AM..
Appreciate 7
RedErik1023.50
rpc1800.00
Stainy265.00
floc72.50
Mjam133.50
      10-25-2019, 10:38 PM   #865
kcsmithcyril
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkIrata View Post
Quote:
Got a CIC High, didn't need the aux cable
Mine confirm not cic high, I have combox, so meaning to say I have to use the AUX cable.

I understand without AUX, sound quality much better, any other matter or coding for CIC to avoid using AUX cable ?

My unit is snapdragon 4/64
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 10:44 PM   #866
kcsmithcyril
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Hi, any idea why snapdragon unit cannot read NTFS Pendrive ? my old Andriod 4.4.4. can, but the new unit Andriod 9 cannot, I wondering how to resolve this.

I copy 4GB movie into NTFS USB pendrive, FAT32 not allow me to do so as file size is big.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 01:42 AM   #867
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Mine confirm not cic high, I have combox, so meaning to say I have to use the AUX cable.

I understand without AUX, sound quality much better, any other matter or coding for CIC to avoid using AUX cable ?

My unit is snapdragon 4/64
For me i had to remove VO 6FL and 6NF to get the HU to switch to the front AUX of the HU again which is connected to the Android unit.
But you then loose some Combox Functionallity and the ability to use the car`s USB port at the center console

Quote:
Hi, any idea why snapdragon unit cannot read NTFS Pendrive ? my old Andriod 4.4.4. can, but the new unit Andriod 9 cannot, I wondering how to resolve this.

I copy 4GB movie into NTFS USB pendrive, FAT32 not allow me to do so as file size is big.
good question, seems like there is the stock "documents" app missing.
I was able to access an NTFS Stick with using ES File explorer.

Chri
Appreciate 1
MrChang36.00
      10-26-2019, 05:31 AM   #868
adrian.k
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 325i se

I've just been getting the android 9.0 head unit from droidUK and thought I'd root it to change the boot animation. I've installed kingroot and it got to 16% then cut off saying root failed, 'no strategy now'. How do I access root please?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 06:00 AM   #869
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

Alright, I finished my Layoutchanger.

This will change the layout for UI 'Common_UI_GS' (or AV8 how Avin calls it).
ID5, ID6, ID7 will NOT be changed/affected.

Tested and working on Snapdragon 625 4GB unit with OS v2.8.3.
Requirements:
- Root
- EdXposed
- Know what you are doing

Download both .zips below and upload all .png's from folder 'original' to your device at
/sdcard/av8layoutchanger/tiles/
(create directory if it doesn't exist)

If you want to create your own images, put them in that folder as well.
I included blank images for that purpose.

Remove '.pdf' from the APK's ending.

Install the .apk, enable it in the (Ed)Xposed Manager and reboot.
Use the included settings app to change the tiles to your liking.

Important: Due to the nature of these changes, every modification requires a reboot before it is applied to the layout.

Use at your own risk. Expect errors.

No idea yet how to handle a proper release. I'll wait for some feedback and then probably make a new thread.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf AV8LayoutChanger_v1.0.apk.pdf (1.09 MB, 313 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip tile_images1.zip (403.8 KB, 225 views)
File Type: zip tile_images2.zip (390.2 KB, 166 views)
Appreciate 6
Mjam133.50
Kri1083.50
RedErik1023.50
floc72.50
      10-26-2019, 10:10 AM   #870
swissarmyknife
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328xd Wagon

Took the plunge this week and got the 2G/32G Avin model. Installed without any issues and so far everything I need is working. Next steps are replacing the launcher so I can use split screen widget to run GMAPS and TorquePro next to each other.

This was installed on a '14 328xd Wagon with the HU that has the fiber optic. AUX connection was not needed Android sound worked out of the box. Tried to use the built in SAT antenna, but could not get the connector off of the main unit for the life of me. So ended up installing the antenna that came with the HU and placed it right behind the screen under the windshield, running the cable along the side. I might put it under the dash to keep it all clean, but I wanted to test the whole unit out first before I consider this a complete installation.

I tried a similar product for my Ram 1500 (Tesla style screen) and it was a horrible mess because the HU also replaced the amp and many of the built in functions were no longer accessible or implemented in a really user unfriendly way.

Here with BMW the amp and all it's original functionality remain intact and it's overall a much better solution.
2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel, tuned, 24MPG
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #871
Mootu
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 (2013)

Hi there,

I installed mine today. Or I tried to do so. It first worked when I tested the installation when everything just hanged around. I then tried to put everything in again, because it worked. But then probably nothing worked anymore. There is no electricity on the whole radio unit anymore. I put everything to standard again. Still no electricity on the radio unit. Does someone know what happened and what to do?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 11:47 AM   #872
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 AW F30 335i M-Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootu View Post
Hi there,

I installed mine today. Or I tried to do so. It first worked when I tested the installation when everything just hanged around. I then tried to put everything in again, because it worked. But then probably nothing worked anymore. There is no electricity on the whole radio unit anymore. I put everything to standard again. Still no electricity on the radio unit. Does someone know what happened and what to do?

Thanks
Sounds like you shorted something. Check your fuses if everything else works. I'll bet you blew a fuse.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 11:49 AM   #873
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirjam View Post
Can these app upgrade files be used for all units, both CCC, CIC and NBT? Version 3.0.0 is out now.
Thank you Mirjam for sharing the latest Version

So New version is 3.0.8, i reuploaded it to wetransfer you can download it HERE for the next couple days. (link update, valid until 11.11.2019)
Edit 12.11.19: someone did a reupload at Mega.nz

But be warned this seems to be a Beta version, alot of internal changes have been made and not fully implemented yet.

What i found out so far

* Changeable MUSIC APP
* Aux in Position Selection, when "Other" AUX is selected, no function at CIC ?
* Text Updates to a lot of languages, german update just wrong
* change BOOTLOGO Support is coming back, the one which is before the bootanimation, not completely implemented
* new SevenColor Dashboard, now with distance left display, (wtf why 330km/h (205mp/h )
* Heavy internal update to GS UI, seems to be programmed for AVINUSA
* AHD Camera Support ?
* Better Support for 1920*720 Displays ?
* km / milage change option at source code - no function yet.
* Phone Button Behaviour has been changed

So far it seems they are working hard on updating the System again.
Changing the Music button is very cool, now you can select your Favorite Music app !
There is just one note, with ID5 ID6 and GS UI, you completley loose functionality of internal Music player.
With ID7 you can have both, while the Large music button stays the old one, the small Music Button at the top left corner only will be changed to your desired music app !.

The AHD and 7Dashboard requires new lines at factory_config.xml, so i added an updated here.

Bootscreen selection is also coming back, the function is not working at the GUI at the moment, but when moving a correct "splash.img" to the oem folder it will be updated.
At the moment no own images can be made as the .img file format is very special and has not been reverse engineered yet.

There was also an MCU Update with this package for E Series CIC, i updated it (had update from 245 before) , but did not see any difference in behaviour.

As always Update at your own risk !

Chri
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip factory_config.zip (4.1 KB, 610 views)

Last edited by Kri; 11-12-2019 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 3
      10-26-2019, 11:53 AM   #874
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

Installed my unit today, it was a pain in the ass but everything is working. I bought a GPS splitter only to realize that my NBT EVO ID4 doesn't have a GPS cable attached (the connector itself is there though). I checked the trunk and there it was, running into a combox of some sorts I guess.

Can someone of the F20 drivers tell me how and where they routed the USB cable(s)?
My initial plan was to route one to the armrest and the other to the glove box, but I couldn't figure out how to do either.

I will grab my laptop tomorrow and work on the iDrive controller input.

//Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
Well... sh*t.... Just finished my layout changer.
With the current rate of updates, it probably isn't a good time to develop anyway.
Maybe in the future it's better to develop our own launcher (or maybe theirs will get much better)

Last edited by Firefly1337; 10-26-2019 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 12:56 PM   #875
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post
//Edit:

With the current rate of updates, it probably isn't a good time to develop anyway.
Maybe in the future it's better to develop our own launcher (or maybe theirs will get much better)
Yep, unforunatleley thats true.

But the idrive App would still be a great addon

Maybe if the chinese see this app one time they reprogramm the GUI this way to change all Tiles to be changeable like they did it with the Music app.

Kri
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 01:16 PM   #876
Soprono
Rep
Drives: BMW M135 F20

Bumping into a small issue and wondering if anyone has seen the same before? Iv completed my installation (I think) and had to connect the AUX port to the unit.

I then also bought the USB device for Android Auto which Iv connected to the unit, phone plugs into it and all is great working like a charm. An issue today came up where by it would play audio for around 2 seconds long and then stop. If I hit the "Google Assistant" button on the Android Auto it will play music for another few seconds and then mute completely again?

1. Aux Connected
2. Song continues to play it doesnt just pause, its just muted and not outputting to the speaker
3. Android System volume is on max

Very confusing, frustrating issue...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 02:58 PM   #877
swissarmyknife
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328xd Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootu View Post
Hi there,

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by f30GTR View Post
Sounds like you shorted something. Check your fuses if everything else works. I'll bet you blew a fuse.
Agree with f30GTR, you may have shorted something, before you replace fuses, check that adapter cable that gets inserted between the original rectangular plug and the OEM radio has no bent pins. I am guessing that while inserting that adapter cable either pins got bent or you pushed out something that had 12v and got shorted out against the chassis -could even be a chaffed wire that got the insulation nicked.

Once you find what could be the short replace the fuse and try again.
2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel, tuned, 24MPG
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 03:12 PM   #878
marakeh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post
Installed my unit today, it was a pain in the ass but everything is working. I bought a GPS splitter only to realize that my NBT EVO ID4 doesn't have a GPS cable attached (the connector itself is there though). I checked the trunk and there it was, running into a combox of some sorts I guess.

Can someone of the F20 drivers tell me how and where they routed the USB cable(s)?
My initial plan was to route one to the armrest and the other to the glove box, but I couldn't figure out how to do either.

I will grab my laptop tomorrow and work on the iDrive controller input.

//Edit:

i guess you have a F20 with the basic radio but with tele services?

split the gps in the trunk at the combox, you will need to cut a litle piece of the plug or connector to fit it. after that run a 5m fakra cable to the front, route through either left side to front seat (not 100% clean) or run through the middle console path)

regarding usb

the short usb i ran to the glovebox and added an usb port, a used usb port for bmw goes for like 9euro on ebay-kleinanzeigen*, get a a usb extender and make it fit to the bmw case (remove the fakra to usb from the housing, its just clipped on).
*link: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...25740-223-6392 (i bought from this seller, can recommend)

to get it through the hole you have to unmount the glovebox, its rather easy.

the long usb i left inside the dash and used a carplay dongle.

i also router a usb extension to the arm rest and spliced the original cable with a switch to change the usb from oem to android and back. (if i ever want to use it)

Quote:

So New version is 3.0.8, i reuploaded it to wetransfer you can download it HERE for the next couple days.

But be warned this seems to be a Beta version, alot of internal changes have been made and not fully implemented yet.

What i found out so far

* Changeable MUSIC APP
* change BOOTLOGO Support is coming back, the one which is before the bootanimation, not completely implemented
* new SevenColor Dashboard, now with distance left display, (wtf why 330km/h (205mp/h )
* AHD Camera Support ?

Changing the Music button is very cool, now you can select your Favorite Music app !
There is just one note, with ID5 ID6 and GS UI, you completley loose functionality of internal Music player.
With ID7 you can have both, while the Large music button stays the old one, the small Music Button at the top left corner only will be changed to your desired music app !.

The AHD and 7Dashboard requires new lines at factory_config.xml, so i added an updated here.

Bootscreen selection is also coming back, the function is not working at the GUI at the moment, but when moving a correct "splash.img" to the oem folder it will be updated.
At the moment no own images can be made as the .img file format is very special and has not been reverse engineered yet.

There was also an MCU Update with this package for E Series CIC, i updated it (had update from 245 before) , but did not see any difference in behaviour.

Chri
is this version only for the snapdragon or also compatible with the rockchip?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 03:24 PM   #879
Mootu
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 (2013)

Quote:

So New version is 3.0.8, i reuploaded it to wetransfer you can download it HERE for the next couple days.

What i found out so far

* Changeable MUSIC APP
* AHD Camera Support ?

Chri
Hi I am back, I now installed everything and it was the fuse that broke. Now everything works.

But I have some questions. I have bought one on Aliexpress. All is fine but I see some differences in the Software. So at some descriptions I saw that people can choose apps to start when pressing a physically button on the BMW. Right now I only can choose the app for the navigation system.
I don't have any option to choose other apps for other things.
Futhermore, I can't choose anything regarding the physical buttons of my BMW. Right now it only changes to google mapps on Android when I press the "navi" button.
I am wondering if there are different software versions and whether these can be flashed or exchanged. The whole hardware looks the same so why not changing the operating system/skin?

I also can't find Netflix in the play store. I tried Netflix sideload from netflix. But it says that the device is not supported. Any solutions here?

Youtube is only showing 480p videos and I can't change it. Anyone a solution?

When I start my car it always asks for my SIM pin. Can I somehow change it so it always remember my pin? I don't want to put it again after every start of the car. I don't care about the data usage. I have unlimited data in Europe and USA. So I want this as a permanent hotspot.

I am sorry for my questions. I am normally an iPhone guy so I don't have a clue about Android yet.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 03:26 PM   #880
marakeh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D

"Youtube is only showing 480p videos and I can't change it. Anyone a solution?"

use youtube vanced https://vanced.app/

it will block all ads and you can configure video resolution in the setting, the unit handles 2k videos fine.
Appreciate 0