F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F31 2016 328d ID4 to ID6 TMC Issue
Extreme Powerhouse

12-12-2023, 05:34 PM   #1
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 S4 Avant, F80 M3, F31 328d

F31 2016 328d ID4 to ID6 TMC Issue

Hello,

I've searched extensively for this but did not find anything conclusive. My issue is i have a 2016 F31 328d LCI North American Model. Originally came with ID4 i ended up upgrading the ID4 to ID6 along with a touch screen. Had the coding complete and everything worked fine. Recently had a recall to replace the TCM module and the coding was off since the dealership did not recognize the ID6. Got the coding back complete to have ID6 operational again but there is no communication between the TCM and the Idrive unit. I've tried with a couple coders and they tried using different FSCs and even swapped over a TCM from a 2018 M3 but did not make a difference. Anyone got any ideas? I am running fresh out and would like to try to get connected drive working back on this car. Willing to pay to get it fixed.

Thank You
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 01:58 AM   #2
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Do you mean the TCB, the telematics module?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 07:58 PM   #3
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

You are correct, i guess it would help if i got the naming right. Sorry i am used to VW/Audi terms.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 12:33 AM   #4
TheNine90
Banned
Rep

You cant swap TCB unless you order from dealer, its vin locked. And it not FSC issue. Restore the TCB for the car and check the coding in the TCB. What communication issue did it have? Could you see the modules in esys or ista?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 11:58 AM   #5
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I understand you can not swap TCBs. I have swapped the Idrive system before a recall to the TCB that was completed by the BMW dealership. The dealership has updated the TCB to the new version but an error occurred since ID4 was not installed and ID6 was. The dealership was unable to get the TCB to work, and i am unable to get the TCB to work. I do not believe there is any restoring of the coding for the installed TCB.

For communication it is not communicating with BMW. I have tried to reactive connected drive several times and it does not receive any activation codes. I have tried to have coders get it to work any no one has figured this out yet. I can scan to show you the codes if you think this will help.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 12:06 PM   #6
TheNine90
Banned
Rep

Did the dealership replace or update the TCB?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 10:19 PM   #7
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The dealership replaced the TCB
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 09:46 AM   #8
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNine90 View Post
Did the dealership replace or update the TCB?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernisatree View Post
The dealership replaced the TCB
If I am reading between the lines properly, the OP had a 2016 vehicle with the first generation ATM HW which would not do VoLTE, so under the warranty BMW replaced the ATM to the newer HW model and attempted to code it.

Reading more into the tea leaves, as the 2016 HU were HW 2.x/ID4, OP had a remote coder install the “fixed” car play coding and files into the HU which allows him to run ID6/Car Play. As multiple posters have stated over the years, those hacked Car Play files blow up ISTA’s ability to code the HU properly (are the files for CarPlay read only to keep BMW from overwriting them as is possible with NBT EVO units)?

So the Dealer did the ATM Swap as per warranty and now ISTA isn’t coding the car properly.

The correct procedure would have been to do the warranty work replacing the ATM prior to updating from ID4 and then and ONLY then, apply/update the ID6 CarPlay hack.

Again, that’s what makes sense based on interpreting what is posted here.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 10:45 AM   #9
TheNine90
Banned
Rep

It make me wonder how they proceeded with the TCB swap with the retrofitted headunit. They will usually just refuse to work on the car or tell you to replace the unit. They use ISTA for coding and programming and it will definitely not proceed with any coding/programming unless the correct modules are installed in the vehicle.
Sometime it might be the SIM IMEI of the TCB isnt synced to the servers. You can call Connected drive support and ask them if the SIM is enabled and if they can check if communcation betwenn the TCB and the backend servers.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 01:03 PM   #10
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
If I am reading between the lines properly, the OP had a 2016 vehicle with the first generation ATM HW which would not do VoLTE, so under the warranty BMW replaced the ATM to the newer HW model and attempted to code it.

Reading more into the tea leaves, as the 2016 HU were HW 2.x/ID4, OP had a remote coder install the “fixed” car play coding and files into the HU which allows him to run ID6/Car Play. As multiple posters have stated over the years, those hacked Car Play files blow up ISTA’s ability to code the HU properly (are the files for CarPlay read only to keep BMW from overwriting them as is possible with NBT EVO units)?

So the Dealer did the ATM Swap as per warranty and now ISTA isn’t coding the car properly.

The correct procedure would have been to do the warranty work replacing the ATM prior to updating from ID4 and then and ONLY then, apply/update the ID6 CarPlay hack.

Again, that’s what makes sense based on interpreting what is posted here.

This is not a hacked unit, i bought a used ID6 unit and had it coded to the car. I agree i wish i kept the original ID4 unit and had the work done but i couldn't predict this myself. You are correct for the most part the cars original config came with ID4 so the dealer couldnt get ISTA to work properly since the headunit was swapped out for an ID6 unit. Is the only way to get this to work is find an id4 unit and try to get the dealership to recode it with ISTA?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 01:05 PM   #11
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNine90 View Post
It make me wonder how they proceeded with the TCB swap with the retrofitted headunit. They will usually just refuse to work on the car or tell you to replace the unit. They use ISTA for coding and programming and it will definitely not proceed with any coding/programming unless the correct modules are installed in the vehicle.
Sometime it might be the SIM IMEI of the TCB isnt synced to the servers. You can call Connected drive support and ask them if the SIM is enabled and if they can check if communcation betwenn the TCB and the backend servers.

They installed the new TCB unit and tried to code multiple times but failed. I told the dealer do not worry about the coding and i would take care of it at home. Not knowing of the consequences unfortunately.

I guess now that the issue is now known is there any way to fix this besides assuming more?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 01:59 PM   #12
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is not a hacked unit, i bought a used ID6 unit and had it coded to the car. I agree i wish i kept the original ID4 unit and had the work done but i couldn't predict this myself. You are correct for the most part the cars original config came with ID4 so the dealer couldnt get ISTA to work properly since the headunit was swapped out for an ID6 unit. Is the only way to get this to work is find an id4 unit and try to get the dealership to recode it with ISTA?
It’s hacked as the CarPlay activation codes are hacked

Again, you will find others in various threads with same issue (coding HU with ISTA at Dealers) after the hacked CarPlay files are installed.

It would have coded fine at the Dealer if the hacked CarPlay files were not installed.

Also the reason I paid BMW the $295 for CarPlay instead of the hacked route. Future problems like this that end up costing you much more in the end.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 06:58 PM   #13
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
It’s hacked as the CarPlay activation codes are hacked

Again, you will find others in various threads with same issue (coding HU with ISTA at Dealers) after the hacked CarPlay files are installed.

It would have coded fine at the Dealer if the hacked CarPlay files were not installed.

Also the reason I paid BMW the $295 for CarPlay instead of the hacked route. Future problems like this that end up costing you much more in the end.
I believe even if it was back to the "non hacked" version i still have the issue of the car build out is for ID4 and not ID6. Again it would be nice to have actual input of do this to fix this. But i guess that is the nature of this forum. Not very helpful at times.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 07:20 PM   #14
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I believe even if it was back to the "non hacked" version i still have the issue of the car build out is for ID4 and not ID6. Again it would be nice to have actual input of do this to fix this. But i guess that is the nature of this forum. Not very helpful at times.
It should be obvious from what I posted.

Have whoever hacked your CarPlay to delete the files they installed returning it to normal state.

Then have Dealer do his thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 01:20 AM   #15
TheNine90
Banned
Rep

Dealers dont have an issue with hacked carplay, they can code fine. Sometimes they cant even detect the patch. Its only after they flash will the unit and it returns to stock with patch wiped and have missing OEM FSC.
The main issue is the ID6 retrofit. Just focus on the TCB for now, it should be able to commuincate with backend servers without HU. If you have ISTA you can check the data and read out the state of the unit.
Appreciate 0