F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > shit driver
Extreme Powerhouse

10-18-2020, 09:40 AM   #111
NanasBack
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: EB 335 oil burner

I think the roadsign is particularly significant for that island.
You just wouldn't expect people to go right?

Name:  Bedford A6.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  70.3 KB

But, if you hadn't slowed down so much, that probably wouldn't have happened.

Good result.
      10-18-2020, 02:16 PM   #112
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanasBack View Post

But, if you hadn't slowed down so much, that probably wouldn't have happened.

Good result.

Had this on my mind for same time, normally every one is going thru there 50+ as it is 70mph road and roundabout is big enough for that kind of speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal101 View Post
Round here the local councils have started white lining and signing the roundabouts to allow this type on manoeuvre.
There is/was marking but worn out due to building side heavy traffic
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 02:26 PM   #113
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaEugence View Post
Exactly. Great result.
Honestly laughable reading the comments on here suggesting it's your fault - tp is clearly in the wrong lane and turns across you causing the accident. Sure if you'd completed your Gold RoSPA (sounds like many of this thread have done this or are advanced drivers) perhaps you'd have avoided the collision but that doesn't mean you're to blame for her incompetence.
I don’t think it’s the OP’s fault. But that doesn’t mean I’d have been sat where he was when he got driven into.

I do 25,000 miles a year and have done for over 20 years, without a sense of anticipation I could have been hit like the OP was a dozen times. But it generally doesn’t happen because you can see it coming. And you could see this one coming from miles away. Yes the OP is not at fault, but he could have spotted the fault the other driver was about to make.
Appreciate 3
dopper993528.00
Ennoch2257.00
      10-18-2020, 02:47 PM   #114
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

The great one has spoken
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 03:31 PM   #115
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
The great one has spoken
And so did many more before me. I’m not getting into a conversation with you on here. If you want to have a pop at every post why don’t you do it through PM. I’m not a big fan of the chip permanently sat on your shoulder. But on not one single occasion until now have I said anything.

If you want to make personal comments, try PM’s instead, or not at all.
Appreciate 1
Sennen1733.50
      10-18-2020, 04:23 PM   #116
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i MPPSK.

Glad it's all sorted now.

I saw that collision coming a mile off.!
Hesitant Merc, clear body language of either being lost, clueless, or drunk.
Faster car on the inside with no skill to pre-empt the impending collision, fixated on going straight over with no awareness for the Merc.

Yes, Merc in the wrong but this was so easily avoidable by just hanging back and allowing the Merc to get on with whatever sh1t driving she was doing.
From my back seat driver POV, I reckon this was still avoidable by turning right with her and going round, rather than just stamping on the brakes or the mystery left turn that the OP made when the Merc was very visibly turning right.

It was so amature it almost looked like a rubbish 'crash for cash' effort.

Never sit on the inside wing of another car on roundabouts, so many either straighten it or go all the way around.

Glad to hear it's finally sorted, OP. 7 months of pain for an easily avoidable (by both parties) crunch.
It's also good to read that you now treat other road users as idiots so most probably this won't happen again.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 10:55 PM   #117
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Every collision is avoidable but if one part keep pushing, no mater what you do, it will happen.

For those who said that it was avoidable or saw this coming, I was there and I done as much as possible to avoid it at the time it happened.
Clearly here are better drivers than me which would avoided it but it was me and i have learn my lesson.

Last edited by adam.b; 10-18-2020 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 01:29 AM   #118
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.b View Post
Clearly here are better drivers than me which would avoided it but it was me and i have learn my lesson.
Everyone learns lessons - sometimes it is through near misses, sometime through accidents. The main thing is to learn from them and then move on, ensuring no repeat.

And forums are great for people expressing how much better/richer/safer/stronger/etc they are than you.
Appreciate 4
1 AKY459.00
G50950.00
dizzy619446.50
adam.b189.00
      10-19-2020, 02:33 AM   #119
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D F30

Pleased you got the decision in your favour.

As others have said, perhaps you could have anticipated this a little more but she is trying to go right round a roundabout in the outside lane, there is no excuse for that.

I tend to drive fairly defensively myself and drive assuming everyone else will do the stupidest possible thing they can do and I am usually prepared. I try to tell my Wife the same thing as she is a fairly aggressive driver. If your brain thinks 'Surely they won't do something that stupid', assume they will and be ready to react.

Roundabouts are notorious for poor driving, there is one near us with four busy junctions, three of them have national speed limit approaching them and during rush hours its horrific to try and pull onto the roundabout. I can't count how many times I have been going straight over and some prat in the inside lane decides they want to go left across my path, all because they wanted to cut the stationary traffic as the inside lane is quicker.

If I see someone waiting to pull out of a junction, I always assume they are going to pull out on me and my foot is ready to hit the brakes. 99/100 they won't but that 1 time will save me hitting them.

Always assume every other driver is going to do the stupidest possible thing they could do and be ready to react.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 03:11 AM   #120
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

With regards defensive driving.....

We've a roundabout above the M4 near us on my way to work and the amount of prats jumping red lights is unbelievable.

So while I'm waiting on a red light on the roundabout, I've learnt to make sure no-one is likely to jump to lights and come across in front of me, even if my light has gone from amber to green. You cant trust anyone.

The total prats about, especially in the rush hour is unreal.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 04:53 AM   #121
Ronstein
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2019 640i GT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
With regards defensive driving.....

We've a roundabout above the M4 near us on my way to work and the amount of prats jumping red lights is unbelievable.

So while I'm waiting on a red light on the roundabout, I've learnt to make sure no-one is likely to jump to lights and come across in front of me, even if my light has gone from amber to green. You cant trust anyone.

The total prats about, especially in the rush hour is unreal.
I join at J16 of the M4 where there are (from memory, three sets of traffic lights in quick succession. The final set onto the main roundabout change very quickly and the combination is an accident waiting to happen.

I some times wonder if these junctions are designed by people who don't drive!!
- 2016 335D Touring M Sport X-drive
- 2014 335D GT X-Drive MSport
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2020, 04:57 PM   #122
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstein View Post
I join at J16 of the M4 where there are (from memory, three sets of traffic lights in quick succession. The final set onto the main roundabout change very quickly and the combination is an accident waiting to happen.

That's exactly the junction I'm referring too.

It's been redesigned in the last couple of years and whoever fcukwit designed it needs sacking. Gets very dangerous due to the crazy layout when there is a large volume of traffic in the rush hour.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2020, 01:31 AM   #123
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:

It's been redesigned in the last couple of years and whoever fcukwit designed it needs sacking. Gets very dangerous due to the crazy layout when there is a large volume of traffic in the rush hour.
Oh I used to deal with that one daily too, up until 7 months ago and COVID. What an utter mess of conflicting lights and roads.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
dopper993528.00
      10-20-2020, 08:07 AM   #124
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Oh I used to deal with that one daily too, up until 7 months ago and COVID. What an utter mess of conflicting lights and roads.
Yes same here! Also due to Covid i'm working from home, so like you not been across it during rush hour for 7 months, thank god.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2020, 10:40 AM   #125
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Quote:

This is where I got hit earlier this year too. Someone from the left lane wanted to go right (even after just driving over an arrow that was straight on only) and drove into the rear side of my car after I was almost entirely past them
Appreciate 1
dopper993528.00
      10-21-2020, 02:34 PM   #126
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Had this TWICE on the same day at the same roundabout in London! For school drop off and pickup, why people assume they can turn right in a left lane i will never know

Seen it late as they come across me but managed to break out of it. Doesn't look as bad with Dash cam but thats mounted up high on the left of the windscreen

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 02:38 AM   #127
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
Had this TWICE on the same day at the same roundabout in London! For school drop off and pickup, why people assume they can turn right in a left lane i will never know

Seen it late as they come across me but managed to break out of it. Doesn't look as bad with Dash cam but thats mounted up high on the left of the windscreen

Not helped by ridiculous lane markings....
Appreciate 1
dazzapb1050.00
      10-22-2020, 02:59 AM   #128
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Quote:

Not helped by ridiculous lane markings....
Yeah pretty bad however not uncommon here
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 03:06 AM   #129
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah pretty bad however not uncommon here
It is more the fault of the lane markings than the driver. As you enter the roundabout it says right in your lane only, once you’re on the roundabout the left lane has markings to take you round to the right. Ridiculous.
Appreciate 2
dazzapb1050.00
SkyJawa3716.00
      10-22-2020, 03:19 AM   #130
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:

Good defensive driving, had you positioned less wisely then there would likely have been a coming together.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
dazzapb1050.00