F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N55 Metal ticking/vibrations - Video included
ARMA SPEED

09-23-2020, 02:08 AM   #1
randyf32
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 435I

N55 Metal ticking/vibrations - Video included

Hey guys,

So some info first my cars mods are in my signature, I was running stage 2 ACN 91 before my HPFP/Turbo upgrade and did not have any metal ticking sounds while driving. This is not regular injector ticking. I have owned this car for over a year and can assure you it was not this way before the turbo. Car was healthy.

Got my turbo installed and the first day did not notice these sounds, later that evening I had noticed an oil leak, I got it towed back to the shop who installed he said he messed up a o-ring and fixed the leak. Ever since then its been ticking like this, any ideas whats going on? I attached a log I took since the upgrade & there is no loss in power I can feel.

Car has 52,000km. oil changes every 6000KM with liqui moly 5w-30 ll01 always OEM filter from dealer.

Changed the oil+filter myself no luck change after getting it back too no changes.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f66...90c6483003087b

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f6a...90c60ff9d45f09

In this clip you can hear the metal on metal ticking if you listen closely it almost sounds like its creaking as RPMs increase sound is definitely separate from the injectors..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut6s...nnel=f32_435ix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-16N...nnel=f32_435ix

you can really hear this weird vibration / creaking that increases with rpm

Any insight or ideas what they could've gone wrong here from a turbo being installed?

I have listened to the car under a lift it literally sounds like its coming from the middle of the engine . hes going to take another look but pretty sure hes as lost as me.
'16 435i - CTS Turbo FBO Catless DP,FMIC,CP & Intake / PR Ignition Kit / BM3 stage 2 E30+ / TPC Stage 2+ Hybrid Turbo / Turbosmart Dual Port BOV Black Plumb / Dorch Stage 2 HPFP / Mst V2 Turbo Inlet / xHP Stage 3

Last edited by randyf32; 09-23-2020 at 02:20 AM.. Reason: logs
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

First video kindof sounded like it could have been an exhaust leak... but second one not so much. In any case I would still check for that, especially if its at engine to manifold. If it's not an exhaust leak, you need to start looking at moving parts.

I assume you have confirmed oil pressure is normal?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 03:42 PM   #3
randyf32
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
First video kindof sounded like it could have been an exhaust leak... but second one not so much. In any case I would still check for that, especially if its at engine to manifold. If it's not an exhaust leak, you need to start looking at moving parts.

I assume you have confirmed oil pressure is normal?
Thanks for the help.. oil pressure is normal & tested think I can log that with bm3 too? and I cannot see a leak anywhere. waiting on a smoke tester to arrive to see if anything is actually leaking.. starting to think you may be right about a leak but wouldn't logs show that a bit clearer? I don't think its moving parts because above 50km/hr cant be heard. I think I fixed the rattling was a hose vibrating around 2-3krpm but the metal on metal ticking still is there
'16 435i - CTS Turbo FBO Catless DP,FMIC,CP & Intake / PR Ignition Kit / BM3 stage 2 E30+ / TPC Stage 2+ Hybrid Turbo / Turbosmart Dual Port BOV Black Plumb / Dorch Stage 2 HPFP / Mst V2 Turbo Inlet / xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 10:49 AM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyf32 View Post
Thanks for the help.. oil pressure is normal & tested think I can log that with bm3 too? and I cannot see a leak anywhere. waiting on a smoke tester to arrive to see if anything is actually leaking.. starting to think you may be right about a leak but wouldn't logs show that a bit clearer? I don't think its moving parts because above 50km/hr cant be heard. I think I fixed the rattling was a hose vibrating around 2-3krpm but the metal on metal ticking still is there
You should be able to log oil pressure, yes.

I doubt you would see an exhaust leak in a log unless it was before the O2s and big enough to affect O2 readings, then you might see some weird AFRs and fuel trims or something.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 01:18 PM   #5
randyf32
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You should be able to log oil pressure, yes.

I doubt you would see an exhaust leak in a log unless it was before the O2s and big enough to affect O2 readings, then you might see some weird AFRs and fuel trims or something.
I would agree with the statement above https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f6e...0b4340e40489e5

my AFR and fuel trims seem off can anyone verify?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 01:32 PM   #6
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Given the recent work pretty much only involved the exhaust side of the car - my vote is for exhaust leak too - they make ticking noises. You can't see them without smoke or something around where things bolt up/meet.

Simplest fix is to loosen up everything installed and re-tighten down. Check gaskets/seals.
Guessing components just didn't seat fully.

Last edited by exE36M3; 10-05-2020 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 01:58 AM   #7
randyf32
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exE36M3 View Post
Given the recent work pretty much only involved the exhaust side of the car - my vote is for exhaust leak too - they make a ticking noises. You can't see them without smoke or something around where things bolt up/meet.

Simplest fix is to loosen up everything installed and re-tighten down. Check gaskets/seals.
Guessing components just didn't sat fully.
Shop that did the turbo is insistent there is no leaks, trying to find some way to prove it to him, can anyone see by the log if an exhaust leak would cause afr/stft to spike like this?

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f6e...0b4340e40489e5

I downloaded ista and did a misfire test.. it passed everything except for mixture devation which failed on cyl 1,5,6. I replaced all of these injectors with brand new OEM thinking it could be the fault. Re-ran the test and exact same issue. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 11:08 AM   #8
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyf32 View Post
Shop that did the turbo is insistent there is no leaks, trying to find some way to prove it to him, can anyone see by the log if an exhaust leak would cause afr/stft to spike like this?

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f6e...0b4340e40489e5

I downloaded ista and did a misfire test.. it passed everything except for mixture devation which failed on cyl 1,5,6. I replaced all of these injectors with brand new OEM thinking it could be the fault. Re-ran the test and exact same issue. Anyone?
So what is their explanation for the noise?

You can't really tell anything from the log. As far as an exhaust leak goes, best bet is probably going to be looking for evidence in terms of black spots/carbon buildup around the leak.

Mixture deviation on specific cylinders could be an exhaust leak on those cylinders but that's not the only potential cause...
Appreciate 1
exE36M3487.50
      10-05-2020, 11:31 AM   #9
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Yeah, your car went in quiet before they worked on it... then it started to leak oil and develop a noise...

It's on them.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 01:12 PM   #10
randyf32
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
So what is their explanation for the noise?

You can't really tell anything from the log. As far as an exhaust leak goes, best bet is probably going to be looking for evidence in terms of black spots/carbon buildup around the leak.

Mixture deviation on specific cylinders could be an exhaust leak on those cylinders but that's not the only potential cause...
Owner is off today and will call me tomorrow but they don't know. At first they thought Valvetronic and tried re-learning. They kept the car for a few days and just seem to say it seems a bit louder than 'normal' compared to an older model n55.

I do agree it went in DEAD silent and came back leaking oil and making this sound after the leak. I can't sit in the car without hearing this. Pretty sad as its a 2016 with 50,000km which was well-taken car of. At this point I'm lost. PTF by the logs assumes its a leaky injector, but after replacing the 3 with new OEM there was no change in the AFR/stft issue or the sound. not sure what will happen at this point but it sucks not being able to drive this beast
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 11:27 AM   #11
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

My guess is it's your aftermarket HPFP. Lots of people have report ticking and vibrations with aftermarket HPFPs in the N54 and N55 motors.

I don't think it's a rod bearing, but it certainly sounds close to that. I'd go with HPFP first.
      10-08-2020, 12:20 PM   #12
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Excess fuel can wash down past the rings and into the sump. It will cause lubricant failure within the cylinder bores, rings, piston skirts.

When you changed the oil did it smell like gas?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 10:57 AM   #13
erfont
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i xdrive

Any update on this? I'm having the same type of noise. Believe its from the vacuum pump/hpfp.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 12:59 PM   #14
randyf32
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfont View Post
Any update on this? I'm having the same type of noise. Believe its from the vacuum pump/hpfp.
Officially lifters. Replaced all of them and the sound has stopped, bit of wear on the exhaust cam bearing but I suppose that is to be expected. Glad this nightmare is over!!!!!
Appreciate 0