F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Reverse camera OEM style retrofit for $199 shipped - DIY Details
Extreme Powerhouse

09-23-2019, 08:58 AM   #45
OC_F32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i

Guide lines not centered

Got it installed and been trying to work with the manufacturer on centering the guide lines on the screen. Originally had it on the driver side, tried to adjust them but apparently it's either driver or passenger side. It won't let me center them. Seller in China so there a minor language barrier and a major delay due to time zone differences.

What I did:
-put car into reverse
-held iDrive controller knob down
-when lines started blinking pushed knob right, twisting simply moves the grid closer or further away from the bumper.

F32
NBT
8.8"

Any insight is appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 10:01 AM   #46
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC_F32 View Post
Got it installed and been trying to work with the manufacturer on centering the guide lines on the screen. Originally had it on the driver side, tried to adjust them but apparently it's either driver or passenger side. It won't let me center them. Seller in China so there a minor language barrier and a major delay due to time zone differences.

What I did:
-put car into reverse
-when lines started blinking pushed knob right, twisting simply moves the grid closer or further away from the bumper.

F32
NBT
8.8"

Whoa. Let us know how that works out. I was considering buying one this week.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 03:42 PM   #47
330istocknot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330chino

Quote:

What I did:
-put car into reverse

F32
NBT
8.8"

When you ordered it, did you select that you had an 8.8 inch screen or 6.5 that seems e made for 6.5

I got a 6.5 inch screen and it works great. I haven an 8.8 inch screen on the way here that i will be installing soon, ill let you know if this problem happens, if so, that means you might have ordered the 6.5 inch version not version.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 03:57 PM   #48
OC_F32
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330istocknot View Post
Quote:

What I did:
-put car into reverse

F32
NBT
8.8"

When you ordered it, did you select that you had an 8.8 inch screen or 6.5 that seems e made for 6.5

I got a 6.5 inch screen and it works great. I haven an 8.8 inch screen on the way here that i will be installing soon, ill let you know if this problem happens, if so, that means you might have ordered the 6.5 inch version not version.
Yes. I selected the appropriate screen size. There's also a number of dim switches on the side you can select. It's set for the 8.8" but their support has been asking me to try a bunch of different settings. Nothing has corrected it so far.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 04:06 PM   #49
330istocknot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes. I selected the appropriate screen size. There's also a number of dim switches on the side you can select. It's set for the 8.8" but their support has been asking me to try a bunch of different settings. Nothing has corrected it so far.
I was not aware of the option to move th elines closer to the bumper, i assume if there is an option for that, there should also be an option to align the lines.

I tried a bunch of combinations to see if i could move the lines but nothing so far. I will continue to do more research and see if i find something ill let you know as soon as possible.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 04:56 PM   #50
OC_F32
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I was not aware of the option to move th elines closer to the bumper, i assume if there is an option for that, there should also be an option to align the lines.

I tried a bunch of combinations to see if i could move the lines but nothing so far. I will continue to do more research and see if i find something ill let you know as soon as possible.
Put the car in reverse. Hold down the iDrive knob. When the lines start blinking, turn the knob. This will pull the lines in closer and push them further away from the car. When done, hit back.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2019, 05:21 PM   #51
330istocknot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Put the car in reverse. Hold down the iDrive knob. When the lines start blinking, turn the knob. This will pull the lines in closer and push them further away from the car. When done, hit back.
Yeah i did that and works, but there has to be a way to be able to align them to the left or right.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 06:24 PM   #52
OC_F32
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah i did that and works, but there has to be a way to be able to align them to the left or right.
I figured it out. Steps below. Video attached.

-Put the car in reverse
-hold down iDrive knob
-turn knob to move the lines closer/further away from car
-push and hold knob left to right to move lines from one side to the other

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 3
jbb238847.50
aps335.50
      09-23-2019, 06:50 PM   #53
330istocknot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I figured it out. Steps below. Video attached.

-Put the car in reverse
-hold down iDrive knob

Hope that helps.
Perfect, will add this to the main post in case anyone else encounters this problem.

Thanks for diagnosing it! Now enjoy the camera! It works great!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 10:52 PM   #54
OC_F32
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
Quote:

What I did:
-put car into reverse

F32
NBT
8.8"

It worked out. I was able to adjust the guide lines by pushing and holding the iDrive knob down. Everything is looking good now!
Appreciate 4
jbb238847.50
aps335.50
      09-23-2019, 11:35 PM   #55
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
It worked out. I was able to adjust the guide lines by pushing and holding the iDrive knob down. Everything is looking good now!
Nice to see that! This camera kit is a great deal.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:16 AM   #56
DarkF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
Quote:

What I did:
-put car into reverse

F32
NBT
8.8"

Were you able to center the lines?
Appreciate 2
jbb238847.50
vcxz-z0.00
      09-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #57
OC_F32
Private First Class
Rep

Yes. The guide lines can be moved pretty easily.

-Put the car in reverse
-hold down iDrive knob
Appreciate 4
jbb238847.50
aps335.50
DarkF3054.00
      09-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #58
jbb2388
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340iX

Guys, thanks very much for posting the details about tweaking the guidelines. Had no idea this was even possible or necessary with an install. I've already installed an 8.8" display a couple months back. Will be pulling the trigger on this camera purchase now.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #59
sthor10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328

Agree with above, been wanting this for a long time and the comments in this post convinced me to pull the trigger. Hope it arrives in time for the weekend to install and hope they were correct on which unit to purchase.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #60
aps
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Awesome! I'm going to tear apart my screen asap to figure out which pin I need and will order.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 11:26 AM   #61
OC_F32
Private First Class
Rep

Super glad what I'm posting is helpful. Would appreciate clicking "appreciate" as I'm somewhat new to posting on this forum!

On a side note, I've been emailing with their support on widening the guidelines to fit my 8.8" screen. They've got their developers looking to see if they can update the firmware to make them wider. If they can, I'm told they'll send me the file to load on an SD card to insert into the side of the hardware. Picture below. I'll update if/when this happens.

One more thing to note, once installed you can push the iDrive knob down once to populate the camera option. There you'll be able to adjust brightness and contrast, turn the guide lines off and on, and turn off and on your parking sensors if you have that option. Let me now if you have questions!
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
muniz_ri447.50
aps335.50
DarkF3054.00
jbb238847.50
      09-24-2019, 02:19 PM   #62
330istocknot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Super glad what I'm posting is helpful. Would appreciate clicking "appreciate" as I'm somewhat new to posting on this forum!

On a side note, I've been emailing with their support on widening the guidelines to fit my 8.8" screen. They've got their developers looking to see if they can update the firmware to make them wider. If they can, I'm told they'll send me the file to load on an SD card to insert into the side of the hardware. Picture below. I'll update if/when this happens.

One more thing to note, once installed you can push the iDrive knob down once to populate the camera option. There you'll be able to adjust brightness and contrast, turn the guide lines off and on, and turn off and on your parking sensors if you have that option. Let me now if you have questions!
Perfect. update US please. I am waiting for an 8.8 inch screen to get here tomorrow, however i have the 6.5 unit model, so we will see how it looks.

Illl update if it auto stretches or its out of place.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 09:02 AM   #63
jbb2388
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340iX

Quote:
Already have multiple times.

Hey, how is the nighttime performance and clarity of the image?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #64
330istocknot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb2388 View Post

I made a video for night, check out original post, clear even with the stock reverse bulbs, however im upgrading to LED reverse lights soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 02:23 PM   #65
OC_F32
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb2388 View Post
Quote:

The low light performance is consistent with my bro's OEM Acura camera. I'm pretty happy with it. It's not 1080p but has enough detail to see debris like branches or parking lot trash. I've got stock reverse bulbs in.

This picture was taken just before dawn, still dark out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #66
dubsixjmac
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

For those who have installed this kit, is there an ignition power and negative line coming off of the camera that needs to be connected? Are you able to slice the ignition into something like the reverse light or is it a different voltage that would require a relay?
Appreciate 0