F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Is Diesel on its way out?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-19-2020, 03:09 PM   #89
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
Buying a car and keeping it years is definitely possible and infinitely more sensible.

A friend of mine has an R plate golf which I think is circa 1997 which he bought new and it is still going strong and he has more money than God!!

As a rough rule of thumb in that timeframe I have probably lost a 1/4 of a mill and that is not including my wifes cars

Frightening when written in black and white and i have to question whether i have had my moneys worth.
I also have a friend who has a serious penny or two. He has an old Merc here at home, which is no looker and has never really been cared for. Cars just aren't his thing. He does have some truly lovely houses, however, as well as an impressive boat. He's also one seriously scruffy b*gger. When people first met him in the workplace, they often assumed he was there to tend to the plants, which made for some excruciating moments.
      10-20-2020, 03:08 AM   #90
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Yes, diesel is definitely on its way out - with petrol a distant second. You only have to look at the number of manufacturers who are dropping it to appreciate that. It's a pity as Ive always loved big diesel estates. The VW scandal, and subsequent media coverage, initiated this entirely predictable decline in demand.
In spite of this, i bought a pre-reg diesel Golf in January for a song, after thieves broke into my house in an attempt to take my 440i, which I quickly sold. The engine is EU6d temp compliant based on WLTP tests, which at the time of purchase, was as clean as you could get. I'm expecting to get a few years out of it and a non-city dweller will doubtless buy it when I come to sell it. I actually wanted to get the equivalent petrol, which is a 1.5 4 cyl turbo with cylinder deactivation but there was a major glitch with it at the time, which I think they've addressed now. My next car will probably be an EV.
Anyway, diesel is dead, and in my case, long live diesel
      10-20-2020, 03:58 AM   #91
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Yes, diesel is definitely on its way out - with petrol a distant second. You only have to look at the number of manufacturers who are dropping it to appreciate that. It's a pity as Ive always loved big diesel estates. The VW scandal, and subsequent media coverage, initiated this entirely predictable decline in demand.
In spite of this, i bought a pre-reg diesel Golf in January for a song, after thieves broke into my house in an attempt to take my 440i, which I quickly sold. The engine is EU6d temp compliant based on WLTP tests, which at the time of purchase, was as clean as you could get. I'm expecting to get a few years out of it and a non-city dweller will doubtless buy it when I come to sell it. I actually wanted to get the equivalent petrol, which is a 1.5 4 cyl turbo with cylinder deactivation but there was a major glitch with it at the time, which I think they've addressed now. My next car will probably be an EV.
Anyway, diesel is dead, and in my case, long live diesel
Also from 440i to diesel here. Not overly concerned, due to the off-road/rural market.

Living in Bristol, there is always the chance that the diesel ban will come in and stop the Disco being useful for the city. That means the second car would need to step up a bit!

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2020, 07:20 AM   #92
bytejunkie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive M Sport

I've now seen multiple threads on here going on about where the electricity will come from if we all buy EVs.

here: https://www.edie.net/news/10/Renewab...uarter-of-2020

the uk has beens scrambling for years to get on track with renewable energy collection. its this that will solve the energy crisis (with a large dollop of do i really need to commute 5 days a week)
if you've flown over the north sea recently you'll have seen the massive massive wind farms around the mouth of the tyne on over to the continent. it wont be solar given our climate, it'll be wind.

the change in usage is a good point too.
if i have to commute ever again, it'll be on my 125cc motorbike. ive had it 3 months and ive yet to work out the mpg cos i cant drain the tank. now im not sure if its more frugal than a train of people, but i wont catch covid in my own helmet...

i love the idea of a heavy tax for families with 2 large cars. maybe use that heavy tax to subsidise cheap motorbikes (or the boxier 1 seat things with 4 small wheels) and we'll start to see a change.

the one thing that is clear to me is that we need massive change, must faster than we are used to.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 08:39 AM   #93
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytejunkie View Post
I've now seen multiple threads on here going on about where the electricity will come from if we all buy EVs.

the uk has beens scrambling for years to get on track with renewable energy collection. its this that will solve the energy crisis (with a large dollop of do i really need to commute 5 days a week)
if you've flown over the north sea recently you'll have seen the massive massive wind farms around the mouth of the tyne on over to the continent. it wont be solar given our climate, it'll be wind.

if i have to commute ever again, it'll be on my 125cc motorbike. ive had it 3 months and ive yet to work out the mpg cos i cant drain the tank. now im not sure if its more frugal than a train of people, but i wont catch covid in my own helmet...

i love the idea of a heavy tax for families with 2 large cars. maybe use that heavy tax to subsidise cheap motorbikes (or the boxier 1 seat things with 4 small wheels) and we'll start to see a change.

the one thing that is clear to me is that we need massive change, must faster than we are used to.
They need to tax motorbikes more, it costs the NHS a fortune to sort the riders out when they come off / get hit.... as a youngster I used to visit my cousin in a spinal unit at least once a week, at one time it seemed everyone else on the ward was a motorbike accident.

Why should you tax families for buying cars that protect their families? Why not have a big tax on two seater supercars? or boats? or helicopters?

And if you think the world has done with visiting the office, you may need to think again, those offices generally have long leases, and the owners of the properties cant be allowed to go bust as that might impact a fair few pension funds, maybe even yours...

As with most green suggestions, heavily lacking in reality check!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 09:12 AM   #94
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Death of diesel...
Small passenger cars probably yes in the years ahead
Big SUV and Trucks and transport not in the immediate future.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 12:13 PM   #95
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:

I thought that renewables were already over 50% most days.

I just admit it must be only the odd day here and there but it is very impressive and soon we will be at a tipping point I'm sure.

A few decent tidal projects maybe need to get underway but what a great location we have for wind and ride.

I do agree some habit changes and accelerating renewables might see us move towards 75% in a decade....or sooner.
      10-21-2020, 02:39 AM   #96
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
if i have to commute ever again, it'll be on my 125cc motorbike.
Despite the cold/rain/darkness setting in, I've so far still managing fine on my pedal bike. Having electrical assistance though really does make it feasible even with been out of the door at 7am this week still half asleep.

Am not sure how long a commute most people do, but been able to 'hop' on/off pavements if required to bypass traffic, no worries about parking etc am actually spending hardly any extra time commuting via pedal bike than driving for my 6 mile urban commute, plus without any of the headaches of insurance/road tax/servicing etc.

I'm actually about to give up my parking permit at work, as its been about 3 months since I last drove to work. Just waiting to see if I can manage the darkness clock change brings before ditching the car option completely for work........There is even a remote possibility that if I keep on not using the car we could go down to a 1 car family, but we'll see how the winter goes first
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 02:44 AM   #97
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Ah yes - cyclists on the pavement (as opposed to a cycle lane on the pavement) and those who think that red lights don't apply to them but will furiously blame other road users if they get hit.

Likewise those who cycle in a group but NOT in single-file.

Can we have a thread on cyclists?
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13510.50
      10-21-2020, 02:53 AM   #98
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Despite the cold/rain/darkness setting in, I've so far still managing fine on my pedal bike. Having electrical assistance though really does make it feasible even with been out of the door at 7am this week still half asleep.

Am not sure how long a commute most people do, but been able to 'hop' on/off pavements if required to bypass traffic, no worries about parking etc am actually spending hardly any extra time commuting via pedal bike than driving for my 6 mile urban commute, plus without any of the headaches of insurance/road tax/servicing etc.

I'm actually about to give up my parking permit at work, as its been about 3 months since I last drove to work. Just waiting to see if I can manage the darkness clock change brings before ditching the car option completely for work........There is even a remote possibility that if I keep on not using the car we could go down to a 1 car family, but we'll see how the winter goes first
I've been cycling to work for the last 15 years or so, 7 mile each way. I used to drive when the weather was crap, but the traffic was worse on those days, so about 5 years ago gave up driving to work completely, and we ended up selling the second car.

The key to winter cycling is the right clothes. Once that is sorted, even on a day like today (pissing down in the south) it's fine.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2020, 02:58 AM   #99
Bryans69
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Ah yes - cyclists on the pavement (as opposed to a cycle lane on the pavement) and those who think that red lights don't apply to them but will furiously blame other road users if they get hit.

Where in the highway code does it say cyclists have to cycle single file

I do agree there are some arsehole cyclists out there, but car drivers are definitely worse, largely I think because too many of them can't see beyond the end of the bonnet, and have very poor awareness of what is going on around them.

Getting more people on bikes would make a massive improvement to local air quality, even if it might not make much of a difference on a global scale
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:05 AM   #100
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post

Agree on the red lights and pavements. Not the single file point though.

It’s deliberate, defensive and sensible cycling most of the time. Prevents idiots trying to squeeze past where there’s barely enough room.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:15 AM   #101
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

I'm a cyclist and ride defensively. On my route into Belfast (Malone Rd) the road is a wide two lanes each way, 30mph. I was driving into work on Sunday and there was a group of about ten cyclists in lane one. Two of them broke out and started riding in lane two just for the hell of it. WTF?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:25 AM   #102
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post

6 mile commute? I would love that.

Its 6 miles to my local train station and then 55 minutes into London followed by a 10 minute walk to the office.

We run two cars and probably always will as long as both of us are working. Living in a village 10 miles from the nearest town means cars are a necessity.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:29 AM   #103
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKing View Post
6 mile commute? I would love that.

Its 6 miles to my local train station and then 55 minutes into London followed by a 10 minute walk to the office.

We run two cars and probably always will as long as both of us are working. Living in a village 10 miles from the nearest town means cars are a necessity.
Easily bikeable that. A friend of ours cycles from just outside Chesterfield to the train station everyday and then gets the train to London, which is 1 hour and 45 mins. Same at the other end of the day.

I wouldn’t do what he does though, it’s madness!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:35 AM   #104
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Easily bikeable that. A friend of ours cycles from just outside Chesterfield to the train station everyday and then gets the train to London, which is 1 hour and 45 mins. Same at the other end of the day.

It is easily bikeable, I agree. Could I be arsed with the faff of doing it each day in the winter when its freezing and peeing down? Probably not, we need to run two cars anyway as my wife and I work different hours and often use cars separately on weekends for various errands and other things.

However I don't use our local station as its £38 a day return to London. Its cheaper for me to drive 30 mins to a Zone 6 station and tap in there. Total cost including fuel and parking is £18.30. Go figure
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:36 AM   #105
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post

Every day? It would be cheaper to stay in a hotel, I can help....

He must also be very well paid as I think I recall a season ticket being in the teens of thousands of pounds......
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:37 AM   #106
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post

He must also be very well paid as I think I recall a season ticket being in the teens of thousands of pounds......
Depends where you live in terms of season tickets and whether you need to get the tube.

Mine was £3875 without the tube and its a 55 minute journey end to end. Not mega expensive but now I am 1-2 days a week max, its not cost effective to get one and there is no cheaper way of doing it really for single days here and there.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:56 AM   #107
Bryans69
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
However I don't use our local station as its £38 a day return to London. Its cheaper for me to drive 30 mins to a Zone 6 station and tap in there. Total cost including fuel and parking is £18.30. Go figure
And here in lies a large part of our transport problem. The system is not in anyway joined up and no strategic view of how to price things in a way that allows people to use public transport in the best way, rather than say in your example, drive for 30 minutes, increasing local congestion and pollution, to save £20. Which I totally understand, by the way.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:00 AM   #108
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
And here in lies a large part of our transport problem. The system is not in anyway joined up and no strategic view of how to price things in a way that allows people to use public transport in the best way, rather than say in your example, drive for 30 minutes, increasing local congestion and pollution, to save £20. Which I totally understand, by the way.
Absolutely agree, I would prefer not to drive 30 mins each way and use my location station but I can save £70 a month based on two days a week. There is no cost effective way to travel into London on a 1-3 day work week if you are outside of the TFL zones.

It actually saves me a little time as well because the trains to the Zone 6 station are every 10 minutes vs 30 minutes to my location station.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:08 AM   #109
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely agree, I would prefer not to drive 30 mins each way and use my location station but I can save £70 a month based on two days a week. There is no cost effective way to travel into London on a 1-3 day work week if you are outside of the TFL zones.

It actually saves me a little time as well because the trains to the Zone 6 station are every 10 minutes vs 30 minutes to my location station.
Can’t you split the tickets to save money? A short ticket from the first station to the second? Or have they stopped that easy way to save now?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:12 AM   #110
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post

It’s ok, he’s stopped now and is at home since March. He used to live in London and budgeted for the huge cost of the ticket when he moved up here for cheaper housing and to be closer to wife’s family. He was doing it 4 days a week and did it for well over 5 years.

He works for a comms company that fits out new office blocks and the like.

I know you said that office work won’t change much after this. It will for him. His business have given up their London offices and aren’t planning on going back after all this.

They’ve managed without for 6 months, they’ve decided they don’t need offices at all. I know every company can’t do that, but some definitely will.

Could make hotels quieter, or could make them busier as people use them for meetings etc. I guess only time will tell.
Appreciate 0