F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Dash Cams - UK options
Extreme Powerhouse

11-17-2018, 07:39 AM   #1
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A slow car

Dash Cams - UK options

Black Friday has struck, and it was in good time after picking up a AUC car.

I have reserved two of the following https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8624...referrer=COJUNNextbase 212G, with what I was after “Parking mode”.

I’m just as concerned about the car parked as it is during motion.

My question is, apart from minor ‘nice to have’ features, would I be missing any important bits for a claim or using footage as evidence/figure out what has happened overnight etc etc.

I would need one front and one rear, and will use the fuse guide on the forum to wire with a box that doesn’t drain the battery.

What are the differences between the above, more premium and the likes of an Aldi equivalent dash cam? I understand field of view, camera angle and lens quality but beyond this?

Also, all in one kits (front and rear) or two independent dash cameras?
E.g https://www.very.co.uk/nextbase-512g...utm_content=na

(Sorry, first BMW and dashcam too, so not really knowledgable on this front).

Last edited by KTE; 11-17-2018 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #2
hilift
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d f31 msport

Garage List
I have a next base 312g fitted a few weeks ago but not checked any footage yet ,
It was which best buy !! Earlier this year .
Piece of cake to fit and set up , one addition I would have is the polarizing filter to remove the bonnet glare .
I previously had a front/ rear dual cam but all the footage was corrupted by the camera itself so binned it .
Oh yea !! This camera is also recognised by the insurance association , so qualifies for a bit of premium discount !!!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #3
Quantox
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440iGC, CQ, Ivory White, MPPSK

The 512GW has the polarising filter. I have the 512GW & GWR combo fitted, works brilliantly, I'd take that over the two separate cams. I like that the rear camera is very small and unobtrusive.

Cheers

Q
      11-18-2018, 04:35 AM   #4
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

Not aimed at you but...

Does anyone else find that every bad driver on the road seems to have a dashcam?

All the 30mph in a 60 limit type drivers seem to have them.
Appreciate 3
      11-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #5
hilift
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d f31 msport

Garage List
Yea loads of them !! Usually complemented with a sat nav positioned right at the drivers eyeline front and centre !!!..
Appreciate 3
Edinburra546.50
Rathian153.50
stu14t450.50
      11-18-2018, 04:27 PM   #6
Squintstream
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435i M Sport

I subscribe to which and went for the 312GW (which scores 72%). The 212 scores 71% and the only omission seems to be GPS, which may come in handy if I have to use footage in a claim.

PM me and I'll be happy to copy and paste the entire review of each and any other if it helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 04:47 PM   #7
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squintstream View Post
I subscribe to which and went for the 312GW (which scores 72%). The 212 scores 71% and the only omission seems to be GPS, which may come in handy if I have to use footage in a claim.

PM me and I'll be happy to copy and paste the entire review of each and any other if it helps.
PM sent . Leaning towards 312GW front and 212G rear.

It seems the G is for GPS, and W for Wifi.. who would've guessed haha .

The 212 has 2 versions, one with GPS and one without.

My only concern is how big any of the above may be in the rear. Don't want it to be an eyesore or too obvious.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 03:03 AM   #8
Mrklaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 320i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTE View Post

My only concern is how big any of the above may be in the rear. Don't want it to be an eyesore or too obvious.
anyone ever try installing in the back of one of the rear headrests?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:21 AM   #9
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncarlyon View Post
Not aimed at you but...

Does anyone else find that every bad driver on the road seems to have a dashcam?

All the 30mph in a 60 limit type drivers seem to have them.
I most certainly would not be in my current car to be doing half the speed limit , however I've noticed a few weeks into ownership I'm getting more 'aggro' or idiots around me whilst driving as I always had been without issues. Irrespective of what company I have in the car, no excessive noise (eco pro) and stock..

Yes, the above does not narrow it down to it being their fault each time, but the dash cam would definitely tilt the scales in a dispute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrklaw View Post
anyone ever try installing in the back of one of the rear headrests?
It's not too bad of an idea, but I suppose the trailing cable would be worse aesthetically than the initial plan of against the rear windscreen with the cable tucked under trim/headlining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilift View Post
I have a next base 312g fitted a few weeks ago but not checked any footage yet ,
It was which best buy !! Earlier this year .
Piece of cake to fit and set up , one addition I would have is the polarizing filter to remove the bonnet glare .
I previously had a front/ rear dual cam but all the footage was corrupted by the camera itself so binned it .
Oh yea !! This camera is also recognised by the insurance association , so qualifies for a bit of premium discount !!!
312GW on its way, good reviews everywhere I look. Premium discount I was really looking forward to see, amended policy online and wait for it...

£0 policy amendment charge. .

Last edited by KTE; 11-25-2018 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #10
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Following reviews, others seem to have an additional cable to piggy back an ignition further to the live.

With the Nextbase hard wire kit, there are only two cables, a black spade which is the earth, I will clip that in under a washer/nut in the fuse box area, and a red power to connect to live or ignition depending on preference it would seem..

The cable only got to behind the rear seats before the block adapter on the hard wire kit, luckily there is enough wire from this little box to get to the fuse box, just need to figure out the best way to keep this in a safe position.

Question is, Fuse 161 is "Live+" as per some other posts in threads, I will be using this with the Parking mode. I also seem to be very few who use ASS (stop start), providing the G sensor isn't activated throughout the night, I shouldn't expect a flat battery after say a week of not driving?

I can't seem to find anything to adjust the voltage cut off point too

Edit: For anyone venturing across something similar for the first time... Parking mode it seems can be used whilst connected to a Ignition fuse, however if the camera repeatedly captures any motion for extended periods of time (cumulatively even over say a week) then you can no longer record as this would all be done on the internal battery, which would have depleted.

Apparently perm live seems to allow the 312GW to record all the time, whereas I initially thought it would only do so when the G sensor is triggered.. Confirmed as a feature only for the 412GW (and maybe upwards) by Nextbase on a dashcam forum..

Quote:
You can Hardwire onto a permanently live fuse with the 412GW on the latest firmware: if there is no movement detected by the G-Sensor it will power the unit down into standby mode waiting for movement again.

This is a feature of the latest firmware's 11.7 and above.
So if < 412GW Nextbase models stick to Ignition live, otherwise you can if you want, opt into utilising a permanent live fuse to aid in recording.

Different scenarios would be the below in different variants.

Vehicle is not driven for a week, this would discharge the internal car battery for every recording done by the 412GW, unlikely there should be so many instances where the G sensor is triggered unless of malfunction or over-set sensitivity. Hardwire kit protects to 11.2v (very low for most if not all F2x/F3x BMWs!), other brands seem to be adjustable. Seems this wiring is quite easy to create or purchase in parts. I wouldn't be the person at this time to provide such a guide.

Once the internal car battery is at the minimum threshold, the dashcam internal battery continues to be used for any further clips.

Likewise, the 312GW would run out of its own device battery if recording excessively (20 clips + say). Once out of juice, can no longer record if any situation arises.

Both situations are unlikely, and the latter does not cause any concern for vehicle battery health. However if settings/hardware are tested prior to final fitment, a long 2 week holiday break may warranty a switch over to permanent live? Or a freak repeat situation of extended vandalism..

Pros and cons to it all, I'm sticking with what the hardware is capable of and what I want to happen. Ignition live with parking mode.

My first hand experience for any 'newbies' like my self.

Last edited by KTE; 11-25-2018 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 07:19 PM   #11
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Saw a post about not wiring in series but parallel, whilst the concept is understood in theory I’m just no sure about how it’s been wired. I spotted both fuses in the same direction with the red cable coming away from the fuse

Also, second nextbase going in soon, I’ve used 141 already, I noticed 143 was listed next to it on the fuse box map, anyone had experience with that fuse #?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 03:49 PM   #12
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thread revival. First 5/6 weeks seemed OK with the 312GW, recorded media is what I would expect, perhaps a little below par on night videos. G sensor triggered a little more than expected, but better more than nothing and I'd clean up more often.

25th I am fitting an upgrade in the form of the 512GW.

Long story short, cam didn't record a hit and run. Either because the battery depleted over 1/2 days after 2 short vids when initally fitted into car when weather was moderately mild (+6 degrees).

All checks including charging for 4-5 hours were made, including testing parking mode in the flat and in the car. It is what it is.

Charged again after the incident and put into vehicle. This time the battery depletes due to 8 recordings back to back at 10pm of rain. Talking about light to medium rain.

Desired parking mode just does not seem to want to work. Other solutions aren't the best as one week I can literally do 10 miles, the other I could do 50. I can't rely on the vehicle battery, especially with how easily the G sensor is triggered! I switch on internal lights and it goes off!

Here's a thread I started on a dash cam forum where Nextbase apparently read into.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...mviewer.37434/

The app is hopeless. Fingers crossed and I have a bad unit out of many decent ones.

Quality wise at night, this unit I have seems sub par..

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 05:26 PM   #13
jcdub
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport

Anyone for a dash cam to their 330e? What fuses do I need to tap into? Also I've got a fixed rear seat. Is it awkward to get to wires through to the boot?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 05:39 PM   #14
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Thread revival. First 5/6 weeks seemed OK with the 312GW, recorded media is what I would expect, perhaps a little below par on night videos. G sensor triggered a little more than expected, but better more than nothing and I'd clean up more often.

25th I am fitting an upgrade in the form of the 512GW.

Long story short, cam didn't record a hit and run. Either because the battery depleted over 1/2 days after 2 short vids when initally fitted into car when weather was moderately mild (+6 degrees).

All checks including charging for 4-5 hours were made, including testing parking mode in the flat and in the car. It is what it is.

Charged again after the incident and put into vehicle. This time the battery depletes due to 8 recordings back to back at 10pm of rain. Talking about light to medium rain.

Desired parking mode just does not seem to want to work. Other solutions aren't the best as one week I can literally do 10 miles, the other I could do 50. I can't rely on the vehicle battery, especially with how easily the G sensor is triggered! I switch on internal lights and it goes off!

Here's a thread I started on a dash cam forum where Nextbase apparently read into.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...mviewer.37434/

The app is hopeless. Fingers crossed and I have a bad unit out of many decent ones.

Quality wise at night, this unit I have seems sub par..

Do you have the nextbase hardwire kit. Which fuse have you tapped into?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 06:31 PM   #15
ljw2k
Rep
Drives: 535D

I have the Viofo A119s with custom firmware and more than happy with it

Daytime footage - Download RAW footage
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nk0aucaipl...4_345.MP4?dl=0

Night Footage - Download RAW footage
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ue3e2a8uuv...5_320.MP4?dl=0
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 08:41 PM   #16
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
Do you have the nextbase hardwire kit. Which fuse have you tapped into?

Yes, Nextbase own brand kit.
Believe it’s #143 from memory, a ignition live only.

Permanent live with the way the g sensors go off would ruin the car’s battery. My schedule is a bit erratic, so can’t always get in miles everyday.

The kit is awful, I recall reading the only preset for voltage is 10.9V. Will double check packaging. Most other brands let you adjust accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 03:10 AM   #17
jbeer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport Shadow Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdub View Post
Anyone for a dash cam to their 330e? What fuses do I need to tap into? Also I've got a fixed rear seat. Is it awkward to get to wires through to the boot?
I have fixed rear seats and this is how I routed my wire....
From the passenger side tucked under the headliner and feed this all the way back to the back pillar, down the side of the fixed seat back and the trim, lifted the seat base and feed it through to the boot.

PM me and I'll do a little video for you if you want to see where the wires went

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 04:22 AM   #18
jcdub
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeer View Post
I have fixed rear seats and this is how I routed my wire....
From the passenger side tucked under the headliner and feed this all the way back to the back pillar, down the side of the fixed seat back and the trim, lifted the seat base and feed it through to the boot.

PM me and I'll do a little video for you if you want to see where the wires went
Pm sent. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 05:39 AM   #19
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes, Nextbase own brand kit.
Believe it’s #143 from memory, a ignition live only.

Permanent live with the way the g sensors go off would ruin the car’s battery. My schedule is a bit erratic, so can’t always get in miles everyday.

The kit is awful, I recall reading the only preset for voltage is 10.9V. Will double check packaging. Most other brands let you adjust accordingly.
Thanks so just the one wire into the fuse box. Fuse 143.

Other wire into ground?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 02:47 PM   #20
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks so just the one wire into the fuse box. Fuse 143.

Other wire into ground?
Should be 2x 10mm nuts from memory floating opposite each other, just attach the spade connector underneath as you tighten. You only need to loosen a bit then squeeze it under and retighten to secure in place.

Whichever of the 2 is more convenient access wise
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 02:58 PM   #21
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Should be 2x 10mm nuts from memory floating opposite each other, just attach the spade connector underneath as you tighten. You only need to loosen a bit then squeeze it under and retighten to secure in place.

Whichever of the 2 is more convenient access wise

Thanks bud. Will give it a try. Then I will connect the other wire into fuse 143.

By the way is the other wire battery+ or acc+?

Keep hearing these two terms on the blackvue install.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 03:44 PM   #22
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks bud. Will give it a try. Then I will connect the other wire into fuse 143.

By the way is the other wire battery+ or acc+?

Keep hearing these two terms on the blackvue install.
The nextbase can only be run on one of the above methods.

Batt+ is if you use a fuse like #161, permanent live fuse. Always running off the car battery. From my own experience and others, I’d recommend against this as if the weather is bad/cam g sensor goes off, it’ll almost continually record whilst the vehicle is at standstill.

Acc+ is ignition live, like #143/#141 any many others. This only charges the camera when ignition is live. (Press the button once without having foot on pedal)

There’s a mapping of fuse numbers with symbols just tucked into a slit nearer rear seat side of the fuse box. The above two are grouped from memory.

Make sure to follow the instruction of fitting the original fuse #143 into the top slot of the piggy back cable.

Before sealing up and tidying everything plug the camera in the other end to see if it is charging whilst only the ignition is on.

The black wire is ground, which you’ll fix into place under the nut.

The red wire is dependent on your choice, but power either through batt+ or acc+
Appreciate 1
Mrklaw169.00