F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > EGR Recall - 335d
ARMA SPEED

11-06-2018, 06:53 PM   #221
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieke View Post
Ah, OK. I misunderstood. I thought that you meant asking the BMW dealer to fit an EGR cooler while waiting for the back order parts.

Although my F30 330d has received a clean bill of health, not surprising as it's a low mileage car, I wonder what the implications are for the future. If my EGR cooler fails then, what are the options? Will BMW replace it FOC, as they would have done in the recall, or will it be a normal warranty claim? I do have the extended warranty, but there would be excess to pay.

Since my car was last serviced, it had lost a small amount of coolant - less than 200 ml in 8000 miles. So I did wonder if that was a sign of a faulty EGR cooler.
I would imagine if your cooler fails in the near future you could push for it to be replaced for free without going through the extended warranty and paying any excess, since your cars build date is within the range covered by the recall and they didnt replace it when it was checked recently.

Your user name looks familiar .. do you frequent the BMW Land forum by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 06:12 AM   #222
Mieke
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW Xdrive 330d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Your user name looks familiar .. do you frequent the BMW Land forum by any chance?
Yes, I do.

Last edited by Mieke; 11-07-2018 at 06:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 09:49 AM   #223
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325D MSport

Well....just got the call...........service stated a fairly major EGR cooler leak in ours and it is being replaced now.

So there we go

F31 325d not excluded from the issue at all guys

:|
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 04:09 AM   #224
karma mechanic
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d GT xDrive M Sport

A quick question - how are people being informed about the recall?

Having followed this thread for a while I decided that my own car was almost certainly included, so I rang my local dealer. I was put through to the service department, it rang for a while and then was disconnected. That's pretty normal, and is one of the reasons I have as little to do with them as possible.

Undeterred I called a dealer miles away, who asked for the reg and the last part of the VIN and told me straight away that I should be booking it in.

That was weeks ago, and if I hadn't followed it up myself (or seen this thread) I'd still not know about the recall.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 04:25 AM   #225
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

I along with many, no doubt, are waiting to hear from BMW.
I imagine they are hoping to do this together with the next service, rather than have everyone clamouring for the work to be done now. They may 'catch a cold' with that approach if someone gets hurt when one catches fire.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 04:37 AM   #226
r654321
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 2015 335d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by karma mechanic View Post

Having followed this thread for a while I decided that my own car was almost certainly included, so I rang my local dealer. I was put through to the service department, it rang for a while and then was disconnected. That's pretty normal, and is one of the reasons I have as little to do with them as possible.

Undeterred I called a dealer miles away, who asked for the reg and the last part of the VIN and told me straight away that I should be booking it in.

That was weeks ago, and if I hadn't followed it up myself (or seen this thread) I'd still not know about the recall.
I had my car in for an oil change and health check inspection thing at the main dealers about 2 weeks before I saw this thread.

After reading I gave it a week and still not having had any contact I rang them, was asked for reg and I'm now booked in for the end of Nov!

I have had no notification of any kind from BMW, but given they have spun it so it's not technically a recall I don't what we would expect?

Looking on the gov.uk website which is supposed to tell you if your car is subject to a recall it says nothing found for my reg.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 04:53 AM   #227
TattooedYorkie
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G20 330D MHEV

Quote:

I haven't yet been notified about mine, nor was it listed on the DVLA site. Found out by doing an online search when my amber engine lamp came on a couple weeks ago, followed by some diagnostics. It's experiencing some of the classic signs of EGR cooler issues - amber engine lamp, diesel fume smell in the cabin, topping off the coolant once a week etc.
A call to my local dealer confirmed it requires the recall and I had it booked in for December 12th; a call to BMW UK to discuss and they told me not to drive the car until it's been resolved. My car was picked up under BMW Recovery, examined by my local dealer and I have an Enterprise BMW loan car until mine is fixed (earliest date is December due to availability of parts)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 04:59 AM   #228
too hot
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
I along with many, no doubt, are waiting to hear from BMW.
I imagine they are hoping to do this together with the next service, rather than have everyone clamouring for the work to be done now. They may 'catch a cold' with that approach if someone gets hurt when one catches fire.
I was told yesterday when I booked it in for a service.They are going to check it while it is in next week !

RS4

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #229
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieke View Post
Yes, I do.
Is that the same BMWLand which was going a few years ago but then suddenly closed down as i heard the forum owner passed away?!?!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 05:22 PM   #230
scotsman335dxDrive
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive M Sport Plus

Quote:

When I had my car recovered with BMW assist the dealer called me and I mentioned the EGR Cooler "recall" and she said that there was a current campaign on EGR coolers.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 03:00 PM   #231
paulwtech
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 320D N47 2014 EffDyn Auto

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
If anyone wants me to check if there car has a QE outstanding, just PM your reg. I'll get back to you soon as I can.
I recently insisted my BMW dealership check for EGR Cooler failure whilst my car was in for service after coolant went low twice with no warning and with no apparent escape! Coolant pressure test was ok; technician diagnosed egr Cooler failure & the dealership are raising a claim case with BMW even though my build doesn't currently appear on the UK BMW EGR Cooler recall technical campaign!
More info here: https://www.bmw.co.uk/landingpages/b...e-recalls#gref
And here: https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/10/23/b...lion-vehicles/
My build is a 2014 F31 320D N47 efficientDynamics auto
My advice; if you're coolant goes low for no apparent reason; take it to a dealership & demand a test regardless of whether your build is on a recall list or not, & fight your corner before anything catastrophic & costly occurs! BMW press release: https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...86151EN/417072
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 09:54 AM   #232
r654321
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 2015 335d xDrive

Got this in the car the other morning when I started it...

Looked at the reservoir and there was just a smudge at the bottom.

Added about 3/4l it get it up towards the mid point.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 05:07 PM   #233
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Fyi, still no eta on the parts for our car, which has been sat at Coopers Cobham for about 7 weeks now.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 05:12 AM   #234
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Well, still no news on our car.

Coopers Cobham don't know when they're going to get the parts. They now have 18 cars off the road at their place because of this.

I called up BMW UK - they were saying "we don't know, BMW Germany haven't told us when we're going to get parts"

at which point I kinda lost my shit with them a tad.

Pointed out that:

- whilst it was great BMW do this kind of recall, it's fucking piss poor that they take people's cars off the road with no forecast return date

- that they (well, Coopers at least), don't call to keep the customer updated ,even it's a "no news" call.

- that I find it utterly laughable that the dealerships apparently don't know when things will happen, and it's down to BMW UK as they are not advising anyone, then BMW UK are trying to palm off any accountability for this clusterfuck of a situation to BMW Germany.

- that someone at BMW has issued at least 1 or more orders to factories somewhere to produce a shittone of EGR coolers, and that they need them yesterday. Given the situation I suspect there is in fact an entire crisis team dedicated to the procurement of parts for this matter, so someone, somewhere at least has a vague idea of production numbers and planned distribution and dates. If they haven't, the PM for dealing with this shitstorm needs firing, as there's no way I'd get away with not knowing what the hell is going on and therefore letting costs run wildly out of control.

As you'd imagine, didn't really get much response.

Getting utterly pissed off driving round in a poxy Hyundai Santa Fe, as it was the only car that was remotely the same size as the 5GT - this is not what we are paying a sizeable loan to be driving.
      11-26-2018, 01:06 PM   #235
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

What.. you're paying for a BMW and are driving around for possibly months waiting for a part in a Hyundai? .. a fucking Hyundai!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #236
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
What.. you're paying for a BMW and are driving around for possibly months waiting for a part in a Hyundai? .. a fucking Hyundai!
Agreed - it’s completely unacceptable
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 02:56 PM   #237
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Well. first off we had a 320d touring.

Wasn't big enough for us (I'm 6'2". wife is 6') and 2 child seats in the back - driving position for either of us was uncomfortably cramped. If we didn't have kids, it would have been absolutely fine.

Enterprise were told they couldn't give us anything other than a BMW as BMW wouldn't let them.

They didn't (and still don't) have anything bigger in a BMW flavour, so I flipped my shit at BMW over that, and they conceded they'd get enterprise to give us something else..........but enterprise still said they weren't allowed to give us anything they considered a "competitor" to their brand.

So that meant, no Audi's, no Volvos (an xc90 would have been good, had one of those before), no mercs, etc.

Biggest thing they could offer was a Santa Fe.
      11-27-2018, 12:44 AM   #238
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

F31 not big enough? Really? I'm 6ft and it easily carries me and another 6 footer sitting behind me in comfort. Ok you might have a bigger boot in the Hyundai but I think you've shot yourself in the foot a bit there mate!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 03:01 AM   #239
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
Enterprise were told they couldn't give us anything other than a BMW as BMW wouldn't let them.

They didn't (and still don't) have anything bigger in a BMW flavour, so I flipped my shit at BMW over that, and they conceded they'd get enterprise to give us something else..........but enterprise still said they weren't allowed to give us anything they considered a "competitor" to their brand.

So that meant, no Audi's, no Volvos (an xc90 would have been good, had one of those before), no mercs, etc.

Biggest thing they could offer was a Santa Fe.
If BMW want to avoid giving you a competitor brand (which doesn't suggest a lot of confidence in their own products) that's their choice, but not if it means you have to be massively downgraded as a result.

I guess you have to address your anger at BMW rather than Enterprise, but I would insist on a comparable car. I'm also pretty confident that Enterprise have some 5 Series models in their fleet, although they might have been taken up by this BMW recall, but if not then they have to ditch their no-competitor rule.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 03:23 AM   #240
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
If BMW want to avoid giving you a competitor brand (which doesn't suggest a lot of confidence in their own products) that's their choice, but not if it means you have to be massively downgraded as a result.

I guess you have to address your anger at BMW rather than Enterprise, but I would insist on a comparable car. I'm also pretty confident that Enterprise have some 5 Series models in their fleet, although they might have been taken up by this BMW recall, but if not then they have to ditch their no-competitor rule.
It's a bit of a joke. I told them I've had nothing but BMW's for the last 22 years, so the fact we'd have an XC90 or something short term isn't going to mean we're jumping ship or anything.

Oh yeah, I've no problems at all with Enterprise, the guy down there is helpful as possible. They just don't have anything - probably because they're all out already. He'd happily give us anything he can get hold of that we want, but his hands are tied because their contract with BMW stipulates what they can and can't offer as part of this clusterfuck recall, and they'll not get paid or get fined if they deviate from it.

I'm awaiting a response from BMW UK's complaints department - as I've already decided this utter lack of transparency between dealers/BMW UK,/ BMW DE is fucking ridiculous, and how it's very, very not right that they're keeping peoples cars (that everyone is paying tax, insurance and likely finance of some description) off the road, for good reason mind you, but without giving any idea of when they'll get it back.

Anyway, once I have that, I'll be pushing them to give us a car that is more comparable to ours.

Last edited by Russbmw; 11-27-2018 at 03:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 03:33 AM   #241
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
F31 not big enough? Really? I'm 6ft and it easily carries me and another 6 footer sitting behind me in comfort. Ok you might have a bigger boot in the Hyundai but I think you've shot yourself in the foot a bit there mate!
Yes, really. . and also, not really been shooting any feet (although if I had, would've meant less legroom required I guess), the 320d was a squeeze.

I'm not saying the 3 series is a bad car or antyhing, as I notice you have one - but my missus had an e70 X5 originally, then the 5GT, so by comparison, yes, a 3 series is small. It's that simple.

I'm not talking about having all adults in the car either, who can orientate their legs as required! Kids car seats take up a load of space. They have the kid up higher than a normal adult would sit, and with the front seats being naturally angled back slightly, means their legs have nowhere to go. We have a 2 year old, and a 7 month old, so the 2yr old needs to not have his feet jammed up against the seat infront, and the 7 month old in the rear facing thing is sat too far upright when it's jammed against the back of the seat.

So in the 3 series, the 2 year old is behind the passenger seat, so that can be moved forward enough, making the passengers knees cramped up against the glove box, but it's fine as you're not driving. The 2 month old is behind the driver seat, but you have to have the seat more forward than is comfortable to drive.

Then you've got the boot space issue of trying to get a double pushchair and all the other clobber required to take 2 young kids out.

Anyway, realistically speaking, neither of us were too precious about it to start with, and couldn't much give a shit about what we had originally, as we hadn't envisaged being stuck in a hire car for what is looking to be more like 1/4 of a year or more. That's the problem. Short term, like a week or two yeah, could've stuck with the 3 series to be honest if needed despite it being less than ideal.

I'd be comparable to your 330 touring having a problem, and them giving you a mini clubman for months. A 6ft person can drive one of those and probably cram their mates in the back somehow as well, but I'd wager if you wanted something that size, you would've bought a mini in the first place, not the 3 series. Pretty sure you'd not be happy either.

Last edited by Russbmw; 11-27-2018 at 03:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 06:22 AM   #242
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
Yes, really. . and also, not really been shooting any feet (although if I had, would've meant less legroom required I guess), the 320d was a squeeze.

I'm not saying the 3 series is a bad car or antyhing, as I notice you have one - but my missus had an e70 X5 originally, then the 5GT, so by comparison, yes, a 3 series is small. It's that simple.

I'm not talking about having all adults in the car either, who can orientate their legs as required! Kids car seats take up a load of space. They have the kid up higher than a normal adult would sit, and with the front seats being naturally angled back slightly, means their legs have nowhere to go. We have a 2 year old, and a 7 month old, so the 2yr old needs to not have his feet jammed up against the seat infront, and the 7 month old in the rear facing thing is sat too far upright when it's jammed against the back of the seat.

So in the 3 series, the 2 year old is behind the passenger seat, so that can be moved forward enough, making the passengers knees cramped up against the glove box, but it's fine as you're not driving. The 2 month old is behind the driver seat, but you have to have the seat more forward than is comfortable to drive.

Then you've got the boot space issue of trying to get a double pushchair and all the other clobber required to take 2 young kids out.

Anyway, realistically speaking, neither of us were too precious about it to start with, and couldn't much give a shit about what we had originally, as we hadn't envisaged being stuck in a hire car for what is looking to be more like 1/4 of a year or more. That's the problem. Short term, like a week or two yeah, could've stuck with the 3 series to be honest if needed despite it being less than ideal.

I'd be comparable to your 330 touring having a problem, and them giving you a mini clubman for months. A 6ft person can drive one of those and probably cram their mates in the back somehow as well, but I'd wager if you wanted something that size, you would've bought a mini in the first place, not the 3 series. Pretty sure you'd not be happy either.
Fair enough.

For those that may stumble across this whilst considering a purchase of a 3 series Touring, it really isn't as tight as what is made out above. I have a 4 and a 7 year old in the back of mine and their feet are nowhere near the backs of the front seats, and we have plenty of room in the front.

Anyway, back on topic....
Appreciate 0