F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Top Speed Limiter
European Auto Source (EAS)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-14-2018, 08:45 PM   #1
JoshyDeee
Registered
United_States
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: F30 335xi Glacier Silver
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Johnson City, TN

iTrader: (0)

Smile Top Speed Limiter

Hello all,

New to the community here in terms of posting, but have read so much and its been such a help. I recently got a Glacier Silver 2015 335xi.

On the VIN lookup websites I can not find anything about 804 (High Speed Sync.) but when I am on mygarage.bmwusa.com and look at my car, it has all of the options that are on the car that correspond with the options that show up on the VIN lookup, and also has "removed increased top speed".

Also, I have let her breathe a little and I am pretty sure I have been over 130. I have V rated tires so I didnt want to push too hard


I have been reading forums and looked a bunch of stuff up today, but was hoping to get a little more help.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 08:51 PM   #2
NormanConquest
Major
656
Rep
1,219
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshyDeee View Post
Hello all,

New to the community here in terms of posting, but have read so much and its been such a help. I recently got a Glacier Silver 2015 335xi.

On the VIN lookup websites I can not find anything about 804 (High Speed Sync.) but when I am on mygarage.bmwusa.com and look at my car, it has all of the options that are on the car that correspond with the options that show up on the VIN lookup, and also has "removed increased top speed".

Also, I have let her breathe a little and I am pretty sure I have been over 130. I have V rated tires so I didnt want to push too hard


I have been reading forums and looked a bunch of stuff up today, but was hoping to get a little more help.

Thanks!
I believe 155 the top for stock with stagger setup
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 10:20 PM   #3
Brett530
Private First Class
Brett530's Avatar
76
Rep
107
Posts

Drives: F30 340i
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Utah

iTrader: (0)

840 "High Speed Synchronization" comes with M-Soprt package and also Sportline package. Top speed limiter is raised to 155MPH. I think without 840 it is limited to 130.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 01:50 PM   #4
kpgray
GasCompressor
kpgray's Avatar
United_States
115
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport RWD
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rochester, MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshyDeee View Post
.... I recently got a Glacier Silver 2015 335xi.

On the VIN lookup websites I can not find anything about 804 (High Speed Sync.) but when I am on mygarage.bmwusa.com and look at my car, it has all of the options that are on the car that correspond with the options that show up on the VIN lookup, and also has "removed increased top speed"....
Congratulations on the 2015 335 xDrive.

Two parts to this answer:

1. The only way to get the "High Speed Limiter" is to order the car with the "Mixed Summer Tires". This "Mixed" option then allows one to get the 840 increases top speed governor option. This 840 option increases the standard 135 MPH to higher 155 MPH. Standard wheels come as a "square" footprint, or front and rear wheels have same width (8"). The "mixed" is where the rear tires (rim) are wider (8" front, 8.5" rear). This also includes summer tires that are Z rated so the tires are softer, they grip the road better but will wear faster (less miles between tire changes).
2. When ordering Mixed tires, the RWD version automatically defults the 840 option but it can be changed to the ZRT option of "removed increased top speed" when ordered. However, the xDrive defaults to the ZRT option of "removed increased top speed", you have to change to the 840 option when ordering. My guess is that whoever ordered your xDrive kept the default option of ZTR.

I have the 840 option on a RWD version but have never been close to either limit (several times in the triple digits but not above 125). The Z-Rated tires if you stay on top of the tire pressures and alignment can get you 25K on a set where the lower V rated can get you 40K. Aditionally, the Z rated tires carry a premium cost. So I personally would not be too upset. Hope this answers your question.
__________________

2014 335i RWD M-Sport Black/Beige 403M
PP/CWP/DAP/TP/SportTrans/HK/MPPK/MPE
Wife's Ride: 2018 Jaguar E-Pace S AWD

Last edited by kpgray; 11-15-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 02:09 PM   #5
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
249
Rep
751
Posts

Drives: A nice car
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

If you ever decide to unlock your ECU, you can remove the limiter on the ECU so there's no point sweating over what your top speed is limited to.
__________________
Slapping on M Performance parts, ZHP, and stickers does not ///M car make

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 03:08 PM   #6
JoshyDeee
Registered
United_States
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: F30 335xi Glacier Silver
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Johnson City, TN

iTrader: (0)

Thank you all for your help. I don't think I'll be approaching the limit anytime soon, just wanted to make sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #7
paul e
Captain
United_States
343
Rep
661
Posts

Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
If you ever decide to unlock your ECU, you can remove the limiter on the ECU so there's no point sweating over what your top speed is limited to.
I was under the impression the limiter could not be removed.

Could you expand on this?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #8
BMWILUVU
Second Lieutenant
85
Rep
266
Posts

Drives: 340ix
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The BoiG

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul e View Post
I was under the impression the limiter could not be removed.

Could you expand on this?
Most Flash tunes can remove the limiter.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 03:02 PM   #9
3A53
Private First Class
75
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: F30 328i 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
Congratulations on the 2015 335 xDrive.

Two parts to this answer:

1. The only way to get the "High Speed Limiter" is to order the car with the "Mixed Summer Tires". This "Mixed" option then allows one to get the 840 increases top speed governor option. This 840 option increases the standard 135 MPH to higher 155 MPH. Standard wheels come as a "square" footprint, or front and rear wheels have same width (8"). The "mixed" is where the rear tires (rim) are wider (8" front, 8.5" rear). This also includes summer tires that are Z rated so the tires are softer, they grip the road better but will wear faster (less miles between tire changes).
2. When ordering Mixed tires, the RWD version automatically defults the 840 option but it can be changed to the ZRT option of "removed increased top speed" when ordered. However, the xDrive defaults to the ZRT option of "removed increased top speed", you have to change to the 840 option when ordering. My guess is that whoever ordered your xDrive kept the default option of ZTR.

I have the 840 option on a RWD version but have never been close to either limit (several times in the triple digits but not above 125). The Z-Rated tires if you stay on top of the tire pressures and alignment can get you 25K on a set where the lower V rated can get you 40K. Aditionally, the Z rated tires carry a premium cost. So I personally would not be too upset. Hope this answers your question.
My 328i sportline has a square setup and 840
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 10:24 PM   #10
kpgray
GasCompressor
kpgray's Avatar
United_States
115
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport RWD
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rochester, MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3A53 View Post
My 328i sportline has a square setup and 840
It may be possible to get one as such, but all the factory pricing guides do not show or offer that combination. All Rim and Tire Combinations that offer the "840" high speed limiter that I have seen are the "Mixed Tire" combinations with Summer Tires only. All square combinations are all season tires and standard limiter. However, by the same respects, the guides do not show every available combination. For example, BMW has the "Individual" items that can be ordered and some hidden others such as De-badging that are out there so I am not saying it can't happen, however, generally speaking it is rare. I am sure yours is also.
__________________

2014 335i RWD M-Sport Black/Beige 403M
PP/CWP/DAP/TP/SportTrans/HK/MPPK/MPE
Wife's Ride: 2018 Jaguar E-Pace S AWD
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 11:23 PM   #11
3A53
Private First Class
75
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: F30 328i 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
It may be possible to get one as such, but all the factory pricing guides do not show or offer that combination. All Rim and Tire Combinations that offer the "840" high speed limiter that I have seen are the "Mixed Tire" combinations with Summer Tires only. All square combinations are all season tires and standard limiter. However, by the same respects, the guides do not show every available combination. For example, BMW has the "Individual" items that can be ordered and some hidden others such as De-badging that are out there so I am not saying it can't happen, however, generally speaking it is rare. I am sure yours is also.
idk where you're looking but all of the pre-lci (and maybe later) pricing guides list 397 wheels square (2A5) with summer tires as including option 840. Standard on the sport line and a no charge option on the luxury line. With 2NH brakes a $600 option for any other car.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 02:34 AM   #12
eluded
2JZ-GTE
eluded's Avatar
Bulgaria
1184
Rep
2,356
Posts

Drives: 340 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sofia

iTrader: (0)

Kid, you're gonna shoot your eye out
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2018, 10:49 AM   #13
kpgray
GasCompressor
kpgray's Avatar
United_States
115
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport RWD
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rochester, MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3A53 View Post
idk where you're looking but all of the pre-lci (and maybe later) pricing guides list 397 wheels square (2A5) with summer tires as including option 840. Standard on the sport line and a no charge option on the luxury line. With 2NH brakes a $600 option for any other car.
I was looking at the Model Year 2016 pricing guide. LCI 2016 guide does not have the Sport Model, only M-Sport. The 397 wheels are offered as a standalone option. 24B is the Mixed Performance Tires and 2A5 is Square with A/S tires. Neither 397 setup shows the 840 as part of the wheel package. The 840 may have been offered in Pre-LCI. I have no reason not to believe this was available, just my 2016 guide.

I previously owned a 2013 328i xDrive Sport with 397 wheels (my favorite 18" wheels btw), the standard xDrive was square 8" wide with A/S tires. I was not looking at the 840 option at the time. When I picked up my 2014, I wanted the 840 as an option and do not recall the 840 offered with square wheels setup (but, I was looking at M-Sport not Sport model, I wanted the mixed wheels). I picked the 403 19" Mixed Tires with RWD for the performance aspect. I do run a Square Setup with my Winter Wheels.
__________________

2014 335i RWD M-Sport Black/Beige 403M
PP/CWP/DAP/TP/SportTrans/HK/MPPK/MPE
Wife's Ride: 2018 Jaguar E-Pace S AWD
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #14
3A53
Private First Class
75
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: F30 328i 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
I was looking at the Model Year 2016 pricing guide. LCI 2016 guide does not have the Sport Model, only M-Sport. The 397 wheels are offered as a standalone option. 24B is the Mixed Performance Tires and 2A5 is Square with A/S tires. Neither 397 setup shows the 840 as part of the wheel package. The 840 may have been offered in Pre-LCI. I have no reason not to believe this was available, just my 2016 guide.

I previously owned a 2013 328i xDrive Sport with 397 wheels (my favorite 18" wheels btw), the standard xDrive was square 8" wide with A/S tires. I was not looking at the 840 option at the time. When I picked up my 2014, I wanted the 840 as an option and do not recall the 840 offered with square wheels setup (but, I was looking at M-Sport not Sport model, I wanted the mixed wheels). I picked the 403 19" Mixed Tires with RWD for the performance aspect. I do run a Square Setup with my Winter Wheels.
2017 also offered 397 square with 840 for $600
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #15
kpgray
GasCompressor
kpgray's Avatar
United_States
115
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport RWD
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rochester, MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3A53 View Post
2017 also offered 397 square with 840 for $600


This is from the 2017 BMW Pricing Guide, on page 7 on hyperlink. Again, this is not 100%, I guess it can be done, however, it does not show the 840 as option on square rims.
__________________

2014 335i RWD M-Sport Black/Beige 403M
PP/CWP/DAP/TP/SportTrans/HK/MPPK/MPE
Wife's Ride: 2018 Jaguar E-Pace S AWD
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #16
3A53
Private First Class
75
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: F30 328i 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post


This is from the 2017 BMW Pricing Guide, on page 7 on hyperlink. Again, this is not 100%, I guess it can be done, however, it does not show the 840 as option on square rims.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...1&d=1465835771

top line on page 7
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 06:33 PM   #17
kpgray
GasCompressor
kpgray's Avatar
United_States
115
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport RWD
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rochester, MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3A53 View Post
You are correct! the 2017 pricing guide does offer the 840 on square wheel setup. However, I could not find it in the 2016 pricing guide... interesting...

2016 Pricing Guide F30

Name:  2016 bmw guide II (2).jpg
Views: 151
Size:  156.5 KB
__________________

2014 335i RWD M-Sport Black/Beige 403M
PP/CWP/DAP/TP/SportTrans/HK/MPPK/MPE
Wife's Ride: 2018 Jaguar E-Pace S AWD
Appreciate 1
eluded1183.50

      11-19-2018, 01:49 AM   #18
rak299
Lieutenant
United_States
136
Rep
427
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i xdrive F30 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: san francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
Congratulations on the 2015 335 xDrive.

Two parts to this answer:

1. The only way to get the "High Speed Limiter" is to order the car with the "Mixed Summer Tires". This "Mixed" option then allows one to get the 840 increases top speed governor option. This 840 option increases the standard 135 MPH to higher 155 MPH. Standard wheels come as a "square" footprint, or front and rear wheels have same width (8"). The "mixed" is where the rear tires (rim) are wider (8" front, 8.5" rear). This also includes summer tires that are Z rated so the tires are softer, they grip the road better but will wear faster (less miles between tire changes).
2. When ordering Mixed tires, the RWD version automatically defults the 840 option but it can be changed to the ZRT option of "removed increased top speed" when ordered. However, the xDrive defaults to the ZRT option of "removed increased top speed", you have to change to the 840 option when ordering. My guess is that whoever ordered your xDrive kept the default option of ZTR.

I have the 840 option on a RWD version but have never been close to either limit (several times in the triple digits but not above 125). The Z-Rated tires if you stay on top of the tire pressures and alignment can get you 25K on a set where the lower V rated can get you 40K. Aditionally, the Z rated tires carry a premium cost. So I personally would not be too upset. Hope this answers your question.
Regarding the statement that xDrive cars with staggered setup default to ZRT, rather than 840. I have a 2018 340 with xDrive. I have a staggered setup and "Y"-rated tires because I have the Track Handling Package. I know that whoever ordered it didn't do anything to force 840, because "whoever" is me, but my build sheet shows 840, not ZRT. I have not tested anything speed-related because I have not had an occasion to drive fast with it. If it matters, I have 6MT and I got a Shadow Sport build, rather than M Sport because I needed the extra 1/2" of ground clearance at the front bumper
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #19
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
Blubaron79's Avatar
United_States
938
Rep
4,171
Posts

Drives: '18 340 XDrive
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Pics!
__________________
'18 340 xDrive: Glacier Silver, MSport, 19's, every option (except ACC and DAP), MPPSK, black grille, splitter, side sills, CF Spoiler, clear bra.
Previous: '15 335 F30 xDrive; '14 435 F32 xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 07:24 PM   #20
BP340
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 2018 340
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

I have a 2018 340 Sportline which has the limiter set at 155. I have not tested it of course, and do not really care. Happy Holidays.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 09:04 PM   #21
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
283
Rep
483
Posts

Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Its normally the tires you get (not whether they are staggered or not, but whether they performance tires vs all seasons). At least thats what I have seen.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 09:30 PM   #22
kpgray
GasCompressor
kpgray's Avatar
United_States
115
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport RWD
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rochester, MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak299 View Post
Regarding the statement that xDrive cars with staggered setup default to ZRT, rather than 840. I have a 2018 340 with xDrive. I have a staggered setup and "Y"-rated tires because I have the Track Handling Package. I know that whoever ordered it didn't do anything to force 840, because "whoever" is me, but my build sheet shows 840, not ZRT. I have not tested anything speed-related because I have not had an occasion to drive fast with it. If it matters, I have 6MT and I got a Shadow Sport build, rather than M Sport because I needed the extra 1/2" of ground clearance at the front bumper
The ZTR package has a choice of 3 different wheel rims, each is "Mixed Performance Tires" and each adds the 840. This is regardless of drive-train.
__________________

2014 335i RWD M-Sport Black/Beige 403M
PP/CWP/DAP/TP/SportTrans/HK/MPPK/MPE
Wife's Ride: 2018 Jaguar E-Pace S AWD
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
335, 335xi, 840, code, f30, speed, sport line, xdrive

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST