F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Wasted Speedo Space
proTUNING Freaks

11-04-2023, 05:08 PM   #1
chrismuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 420ix F36

Wasted Speedo Space

I don’t know if it’s just me but I always feel that there is wasted space on the Speedo display.

I mean like under the date on mine there is what appears to be an inactive line which could display something, in between the mileage and the time there could be a display showing the current radio station or track and the left hand side under the Speedo itself just a big wasted area.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 01:21 AM   #2
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Using BimmerCode (or Esys):

o “Instrument Cluster” KOMBI L7_BASIS or “Instrument Cluster” KOMBI L6 BO or “Instrument Cluster” KOMBI_CT_RD1 control unit

• Date in board computer
Enable/disable the display of the date in the board computer. Please toggle the displayed information in the board computer with the button in the turn signal lever until the specific display appears.
Values:
o Active
o Not active

Requirements:
o “Instrument Cluster” KOMBI L7_BASIS control unit
• Digital speed in board computer
Enable/disable the display of the digital speed in the board computer. Please toggle the displayed information in the board computer with the button in the turn signal lever until the specific display appears.
Values:
o Active
o Not active

Requirements:
o “Instrument Cluster” KOMBI L7_BASIS or “Instrument Cluster” KOMBI L6 BO or “Instrument Cluster” KOMBI_CT_RD1 control unit
• Empty menu item in board computer
Enable/disable the empty menu item in the board computer.
Values:
o Active
o Not active
      11-05-2023, 08:38 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

You have the basic instrument cluster and the only digital info you can have is in the small rectangular area from the lower center over to the right (you can see the digital display outline in your pic).

There is no display on the left side of your cluster…which is why nothing appears there. If you had the 6WA cluster…then digital info would appear across the entire bottom of the cluster from left to right…which includes the lower half of both the larger gauges (speedometer & tachometer).

The basic cluster has 4 anodized aluminum rings and the gauge info is analog and remains visible when the vehicle is shut down (see 1st two images below).
I’ve never owned a BMW with the basic cluster…so I don’t know if the phone list or radio station list is capable of appearing in the cluster’s display. When you go into settings, do you have a selection for various things to appear in the instrument cluster?

The 6WA cluster has a larger digital foot print and the display is BLANK when the vehicle is shut down. Upon powering up, the info for the cluster appears and the bottom half of the speedometer, tachometer, fuel, and oil temp gauges are filled in digitally (see the last two pics below). The 6WA cluster does show the phone or radio list in the section you questioned.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-05-2023 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2023, 08:47 AM   #4
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

Off topic here. For some reason, I saw the title "Wasted Speedo Space" and for some reason my brain went to the bathing suit. I thought to myself, "Poor guy," before I realized what the subject really was.
2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio w/MPPSK - This car is a blast to drive.
Appreciate 3
Billfitz8268.00
eff32fl1069.50
      11-05-2023, 08:48 AM   #5
chrismuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 420ix F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
Off topic here. For some reason, I saw the title "Wasted Speedo Space" and for some reason my brain went to the bathing suit. I thought to myself, "Poor guy," before I realized what the subject really was.
Hahaha I mean yeah poor me but that’s a totally different forum discussion 😂
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 12:39 PM   #6
thatgarrett
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [8.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
You have the basic instrument cluster and the only digital info you can have is in the small rectangular area from the lower center over to the right (you can see the digital display outline in your pic).

There is no display on the left side of your cluster…which is why nothing appears there. If you had the 6WA cluster…then digital info would appear across the entire bottom of the cluster from left to right…which includes the lower half of both the larger gauges (speedometer & tachometer).

The basic cluster has 4 anodized aluminum rings and the gauge info is analog and remains visible when the vehicle is shut down (see 1st two images below).
I’ve never owned a BMW with the basic cluster…so I don’t know if the phone list or radio station list is capable of appearing in the cluster’s display. When you go into settings, do you have a selection for various things to appear in the instrument cluster?

The 6WA cluster has a larger digital foot print and the display is BLANK when the vehicle is shut down. Upon powering up, the info for the cluster appears and the bottom half of the speedometer, tachometer, fuel, and oil temp gauges are filled in digitally (see the last two pics below). The 6WA cluster does show the phone or radio list in the section you questioned.
That’s true for the F10 and the upmarket models but the OP does have the 6WA, the version for the f30. The base one is actually just a small square between the gauges as a display and the MPG has an analogue needle as well. Only upmarket cluster is the 6WB which is digital throughout (aside from a few small spaces).

For the OP- earlier prusction cars actually had the clock in the middle right above the odometer to fill out that space (and leave the right side blank during normal driving). It’s used more for the occasional message from check control or similar. The M models have a glowing M on the left side in the blank space. I do agree the 6WA is much nicer on the 5er and up like pictured above, and some have done swaps. For me though, with the HUD I don’t end up looking at my cluster enough to justify a swap
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 08:40 PM   #7
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismuk View Post
Hahaha I mean yeah poor me but that’s a totally different forum discussion 😂
Indeed there are other forums for that type of problem 😂😂😂
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 10:11 PM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgarrett View Post
That’s true for the F10 and the upmarket models but the OP does have the 6WA, the version for the f30. The base one is actually just a small square between the gauges as a display and the MPG has an analogue needle as well. Only upmarket cluster is the 6WB which is digital throughout (aside from a few small spaces).
Thanks for the correction and eduction about the f30 cluster offerings. My apologies for any confusion.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2023, 03:48 AM   #9
MidtownMike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 LCI 320i M-Sport Shado

The funny thing is that the 6WB is probably cheaper to produce than the 6WA because it is display and software only, no moving parts. However BMW charged a hefty premium on it.
Appreciate 1