F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ***DIY: bootmod3 OBD Agent build with RPi 3 B
Extreme Powerhouse

08-22-2018, 12:23 AM   #177
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post
Still can’t get it to connect to my iPhone... here’s screen shoot of hdmi readout. Does anything look wrong??
All kinds of counterfeit SD Cards out there.

Where and when did you get yours from?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 08:23 PM   #178
gbux
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 competition

damn, this is freaking cool as hell!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #179
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post
Still can’t get it to connect to my iPhone... here’s screen shoot of hdmi readout. Does anything look wrong??
Is the green light flashing as well on PI. Green light is Wifi I believe. Also which Raspberry Pi did u buy? Hope u did not buy the B+
      08-27-2018, 10:15 AM   #180
AccordTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i XDrive Gran Coupe M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgm1x View Post
Is the green light flashing as well on PI. Green light is Wifi I believe. Also which Raspberry Pi did u buy? Hope u did not buy the B+
All good. Bad sd card
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 01:56 AM   #181
wurstrocket
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i msport

Ive got a question.

Will bootmod3 work on a raspberry pi 3 with a screen in a small case? I typically prefer not to do stuff on my phone and would like a dedicated box for it.

So my questions would be. Since I havent looked up or even tried a test boot on this software at all.

Does bootmod3 have a GUI? Not on the phone but the pie.

How intuitive is the gui on the pie? The phone looks fairly simply. Im wondering if there are set blocks on the gui where I can swap tunes on the fly?

Im assuming this is like the jb4 where you can pull the tunes and lock it if you need to take it to the dealer for anything correct?

I had something similar to this on my mustang before and really loved being able to see all the stuff going on with the car.
https://www.americanmuscle.com/gtx-t...product_pics-0

Im assuming once again that the bootmod3 if it has a gui shows boost levels and other such things going on within the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 09:08 AM   #182
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurstrocket View Post
Ive got a question.

Will bootmod3 work on a raspberry pi 3 with a screen in a small case? I typically prefer not to do stuff on my phone and would like a dedicated box for it.

So my questions would be. Since I havent looked up or even tried a test boot on this software at all.

Does bootmod3 have a GUI? Not on the phone but the pie.

How intuitive is the gui on the pie? The phone looks fairly simply. Im wondering if there are set blocks on the gui where I can swap tunes on the fly?

Im assuming this is like the jb4 where you can pull the tunes and lock it if you need to take it to the dealer for anything correct?

I had something similar to this on my mustang before and really loved being able to see all the stuff going on with the car.
https://www.americanmuscle.com/gtx-t...product_pics-0

Im assuming once again that the bootmod3 if it has a gui shows boost levels and other such things going on within the car?
It doesn't have a GUI for the agent. I'm not sure if it gets past the command line and into a desktop but if it does, I suppose you could try using the website from there.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 03:21 PM   #183
EVEda235i
Mr. Clutch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.50]
Anyone tried powering the Pi with a 12V outlet? My radar detector's 12v power adapter has a second outlet. Its an ethernet connection. Would rather use this since its empty and i can leave my usb port open.
      08-28-2018, 05:06 PM   #184
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciacarlosernesto View Post
Anyone tried powering the Pi with a 12V outlet? My radar detector's 12v power adapter has a second outlet. Its an ethernet connection. Would rather use this since its empty and i can leave my usb port open.
Yes. I use the one under the dash.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2018, 04:15 PM   #185
ratedrkstevo
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Built my WiFi agent today, works a treat! Thanks for the build instructions OP!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 08:13 PM   #186
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciacarlosernesto View Post
I power mine (as well as a NUC Windows 10 system) off the ODB port.

However it’s not going to be happy with 12V from a cigarette lighter plug or the ODB. You need to step the Voltage down for the raspberry (or up for the NUC).

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 08-29-2018 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2018, 09:01 AM   #187
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
I power mine (as well as a NUC Windows 10 system) off the ODB port.

However it’s not going to be happy with 12V from a cigarette lighter plug or the ODB. You need to step the Voltage down for the raspberry (or up for the NUC).
Why wouldn't it be happy? I've been utilizing mine for a year now with zero issues.

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 09:37 AM   #188
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Why wouldn't it be happy? I've been utilizing mine for a year now with zero issues.
Good to know, but I am still not trying it.

Feed most electronic pieces 150% more voltage than they want and they become a door stop, especially those without a good power regulation system which the Pi lacks in its compact size.

I do not intend to risk fate. Not of the $50 Pi, but a resulting fire that could take the car out.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 10:16 AM   #189
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Good to know, but I am still not trying it.

Feed most electronic pieces 150% more voltage than they want and they become a door stop, especially those without a good power regulation system which the Pi lacks in its compact size.

I do not intend to risk fate. Not of the $50 Pi, but a resulting fire that could take the car out.
Most, if not all, 12v cigarette adapters output 5v, not 12v.

You could also get a power supply shield for the Pi if you're looking to tap the 12v wire.

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #190
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, sure.

There is a reason they are called 12V power sockets and 12V adapters.
Attached Images

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 08-30-2018 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #191
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, sure.

Yes. No one is discounting that. I'm well aware of the socket's varying voltage as well. I simply was saying that you can, in fact, run it from the cigarette socket if you'd like. I've stated in a previous post of my setup utilizing the adapter and running it underneath the radio controls.

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 02:23 PM   #192
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36

Garage List
Quote:

You could also get a power supply shield for the Pi if you're looking to tap the 12v wire.
Quote:
Yeah, sure.

I think what BunkerJ meant was 12V "sockets" supply 12V to a USB "adapter" that supplies 5V. We need to remember these are nominal numbers to categorize these devices by a Standard. As your documentation points out a properly functioning 12v socket can actually range from 9v to 16v and be called a 12v socket. Thus a 12v categorized device matches up with a 12v categorized supply socket. This is not to say if the voltages are above or below exactly 12v they brick. This is just a standard for us to know what it is safe and intended to match up with. And a 12v adapter that is made to USB standard is designed to take the range of 12v from the socket and supply it's USB outlets with the nominal 5v. That being said, current is the more important factor in damaging electronics than voltage is. Its luring to think voltage damages a device, and it kind of does, but in the end voltage only encourages the current flow which is always what actually causes the damage. Current is the electron flow, and only that flow does the work whether its functioning or damaging work. So simply speaking, all damage in a circuit is caused by current.

In the end we should be safe to assume a 12v rated device, plugged into a 12v rated supply are made to work together, therefore should not be able to overload or overdraw and cause damage. Does it happen yes, by why worry so much especially since these Pi boards are under $30. We're not talking about a $3,000 electronics board. Our car also circuit fuses designed to fail if an improper current is flowing through the line. So IMO it's safest to a cheap 12v device into a protected 12v source. That way if the cheaply made device is out of spec or standard and over or under draws it will simply blow a fuse or fry itself. At least that's my take on the Pi and plugging it in. When I get around to it, I'm tapping a 12v socket into the 12v socket line under the dash center. I'll report back if sparks fly
║ VRSF HD FMIC ║ ER DP custom paint ║ AWE cat back Exhaust Suite ║ NGK Plugs ║Bootmod3 Stage 1 93 ║ GFB DV+ ║ BMS 10mm Front ⁞ 12mm Rear Spacers ║ P Style BSM Rear Spoiler ║ Smoked Front Reflectors ║ Madico Onyx 20 Tint ║ LCI Lighted Trim Bezel ║ Opti-Coat Pro+ ║
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 03:14 PM   #193
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelified View Post
I think what BunkerJ meant was 12V "sockets" supply 12V to a USB "adapter" that supplies 5V. We need to remember these are nominal numbers to categorize these devices by a Standard. As your documentation points out a properly functioning 12v socket can actually range from 9v to 16v and be called a 12v socket. Thus a 12v categorized device matches up with a 12v categorized supply socket. This is not to say if the voltages are above or below exactly 12v they brick. This is just a standard for us to know what it is safe and intended to match up with. And a 12v adapter that is made to USB standard is designed to take the range of 12v from the socket and supply it's USB outlets with the nominal 5v. That being said, current is the more important factor in damaging electronics than voltage is. Its luring to think voltage damages a device, and it kind of does, but in the end voltage only encourages the current flow which is always what actually causes the damage. Current is the electron flow, and only that flow does the work whether its functioning or damaging work. So simply speaking, all damage in a circuit is caused by current.

In the end we should be safe to assume a 12v rated device, plugged into a 12v rated supply are made to work together, therefore should not be able to overload or overdraw and cause damage. Does it happen yes, by why worry so much especially since these Pi boards are under $30. We're not talking about a $3,000 electronics board. Our car also circuit fuses designed to fail if an improper current is flowing through the line. So IMO it's safest to a cheap 12v device into a protected 12v source. That way if the cheaply made device is out of spec or standard and over or under draws it will simply blow a fuse or fry itself. At least that's my take on the Pi and plugging it in. When I get around to it, I'm tapping a 12v socket into the 12v socket line under the dash center. I'll report back if sparks fly
Precisely. That's my fault for assuming I would be understood.

My current setup is a 12v cigarette socket adapter (the one under the dashboard) that outputs 5v to two (2) USB Micro B cables that run immediately under the radio/A/C controls. One comes out on the opposite side of the trim to charge the tablet while the other stays within the trim and goes to panel below the steering wheel. There I have my Pi plugged into power and also the OBD2 port.

There are boards to convert 12v to 5v that you could slap on top of the Pi as well.

Appreciate 1
Noelified228.00
      08-30-2018, 03:43 PM   #194
fondoo1287
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36

my first BM3 OBD wifi agent I picked up from ebay doesnt work. I picked one up from kiesmotorsport and it works fawlessly. Anyone have trouble with their dashboard not spinning at all? all the datalogs I recorded while driving all remain empty, though I do have the time stamps posted on BM3 online.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 01:28 AM   #195
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes. No one is discounting that. I'm well aware of the socket's varying voltage as well. I simply was saying that you can, in fact, run it from the cigarette socket if you'd like. I've stated in a previous post of my setup utilizing the adapter and running it underneath the radio controls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelified View Post

Look at what I posted and what was responded to.

I stated I ran mine off the ODB which is 12V.

But you cannot power it off 12V with a transformer.

And then BunkerJ stated you could run it off 12V Cigarette lighter, which is false. No mention of step down transformer.

As step down transformer was stated in OP, and he objected to that, only one way to take it, until he was proven wrong.

And quite simply, to state it was fine from cigarette adapter is plan reckless as someone would try and wire it direct and blow out their PI.

So much for assuming.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 09:14 AM   #196
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Reset adaptations and that should fix your dashboard and logging

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondoo1287 View Post
my first BM3 OBD wifi agent I picked up from ebay doesnt work. I picked one up from kiesmotorsport and it works fawlessly. Anyone have trouble with their dashboard not spinning at all? all the datalogs I recorded while driving all remain empty, though I do have the time stamps posted on BM3 online.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 09:19 AM   #197
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Look at what I posted and what was responded to.

I stated I ran mine off the ODB which is 12V.

But you cannot power it off 12V with a transformer.

And then BunkerJ stated you could run it off 12V Cigarette lighter, which is false. No mention of step down transformer.

As step down transformer was stated in OP, and he objected to that, only one way to take it, until he was proven wrong.

And quite simply, to state it was fine from cigarette adapter is plan reckless as someone would try and wire it direct and blow out their PI.

So much for assuming.
Quote:
Also, I've put together an Amazon list located here: http://a.co/ahypNm2

I've listed a 16GB SDCard. The minimum is 8GB, but I recommend 16GB to give wiggle room for future updates and capabilities (i.e. PTF adding a coding platform to this as well, for coding other things like lights, chime, etc.)

I've listed in all the RP3 Model B, enclosure (You could really buy any, but this is likely tucked away, so who cares about looks), SD Card (mentioned above), ENet Cable (If you need one), and a Micro B cable to power (You very likely have a spare lying around.

For those wondering, there is two ways of tucking this thing away. You can either use the panel under the steering wheel or glovebox OR you can hide it in the center console. I did mine in the panel below the steering wheel, as this was easiest. I ran a USB cable from a car adapter that I plugged into the plug under the glovebox (If you didn't know you had one there, now you do) and ran it through the trim, under the radio, and into the device. I ran the OBDII cable straight up into the area as well. If you want to move the plug completely out of the way, you can unclip the OBDII plug and just push it back up into the panel for a cleaner look. I would like to look into a 90 degree cable as well, for those not wanting to push the OBDII port up into the panel.
It's perfectly okay to curb the narcissism and fallacies. Clearly, there was a misunderstanding and you don't always need to turn the smallest things into these overdramatic issues. If you think the average user's first idea is to actually tap into the 12v with their own wire, you need to bring yourself back to reality. When someone asks if you can power it via the cigarette lighter, I'd garner to say that majority of them are, too, referencing a cigarette lighter adapter. I've also stated several times throughout this thread that I've powered mine with the car adapter.

Let's quit the banter and move on. No need to clog up a perfectly good thread with this nonsense.

Last edited by BunkerJ; 08-31-2018 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: words
Appreciate 3
Noelified228.00
Insane435476.50
963mw331.00
      09-01-2018, 03:25 AM   #198
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If we are to accept what you claim you now mean, ALL cigarette lighters with a USB plug in adapter output 5V.

And then there is the 2nd line that one COULD use a device between the 12V and Pi.

Quote:
It's perfectly okay to curb the narcissism and fallacies. Clearly, there was a misunderstanding and you don't always need to turn the smallest things into these overdramatic issues. If you think the average user's first idea is to actually tap into the 12v with their own wire, you need to bring yourself back to reality. When someone asks if you can power it via the cigarette lighter, I'd garner to say that majority of them are, too, referencing a cigarette lighter adapter. I've also stated several times throughout this thread that I've powered mine with the car adapter.

Let's quit the banter and move on. No need to clog up a perfectly good thread with this nonsense.
I’m sure you NOW want to move on, especially as you try to twist your version of what you posted. But don’t try to change the meaning of your posts, that the words and structure doesn’t agree with.
Appreciate 0